EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Defensive Skill Stick

Is it just me or didn't the defensive skill stick already exist at one point in the series? I seem to remember it being a feature in nhl 10 or 09.

Replies

• Yes it was on last gen, but they had to remove it so they'd have something new to add in the future. #RammerLogic
    EASHL player
  • I didn't play during those few years. Could have been, but I'm glad they added it, even if it was in before. Defense has definitely lacked the fidelity we've had with offense the last few years.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • Yes it was on last gen, but they had to remove it so they'd have something new to add in the future. #RammerLogic

Haha...so NHl is going the way of the Sims with features...gotcha ;)
  • MadCard05 wrote: »
    I didn't play during those few years. Could have been, but I'm glad they added it, even if it was in before. Defense has definitely lacked the fidelity we've had with offense the last few years.

Defense will probably never be on par with offense again...they did it once and the people that don't know how to properly play whined and cried nonstop when they had to actually work for goals. Only time defense gets really worked on now is when it again can be "exciting"...like stronger hits and fights.

The only thing they really need to do to make defense more usable is to allow us to better control the slot. They have the stick/body tie ups but it's so unreliable to activate it much less maintain it...if they provided the means of being able to tie up a stationary player instantly (ie a button push instead of a button hold and pray) then the net battles would do a lot more.

But who knows...maybe the defensive stick being readded will give us a bit more flexibility and use. The fact it's primarily only good for sweeping and can't be used to snag a puck I'm not so sure. We'll find out soon :D
  • D stick was never in before.. What used to be there is still in 17. In 17 hold RB and move your stick, It's garbage and completely useless.
  • Defensive skill stick actually existed in 09....I'm not sure when it got removed. Granted it was basically controllable stick sweeping (much more so then what we have now) although I'm not sure NHL 18's is going to be any different.
  • Defensive skill stick actually existed in 09....I'm not sure when it got removed. Granted it was basically controllable stick sweeping (much more so then what we have now) although I'm not sure NHL 18's is going to be any different.

Didn't you play the beta? NHL18's defensive skill stick is leaps and bounds better than what we had in the past. In the past, yes even in NHL 09, the "defensive skill stick" was practically useless.
  • Didn't you play the beta? NHL18's defensive skill stick is leaps and bounds better than what we had in the past. In the past, yes even in NHL 09, the "defensive skill stick" was practically useless.

I have not tried the beta. I have always found the retail version to work far differently then the beta releases so I typically wait until at least the early access trial.

If what you say is true though I'm very excited to see how it functions. Thanks for the heads up.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Yes it was on last gen, but they had to remove it so they'd have something new to add in the future. #RammerLogic

No. It wasn't in last gen like others have said. Features aren't removed just so they can bring them back and call them new. Every classic feature that is returned is improved over the previous iteration. They never claim it's brand new, never before seen.
  • Sure they do. They are claiming (granted different game entirely) that battlefront 2 is a brand new never before seen game.

How can they explain that I own battlefront 2 on steam already?

Same kind of thing they do with their sports titles. They may not explicitly say this is brand new, but they also fail to mention that it used to exist until they removed it.