EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Unplayable again. What a surprise.

Replies

  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    You don't need a killer speed to play lag free. The most important things are the quality of the cables they run to your house and how far away you are from the main box for internet.

    except i play on Fiber, and fiber just became available in my hood like 3 years ago and the main hub for their fiber network for my area is literally set up outside my house. There's something going on, I'm not going to write off the fact that it might be something on my ISPs end, but I've exhausted every option I have on my end and still experience the same issues.

    I really think a centralized server location would go a long way, but maybe it's as simple as that Eastern hop at EAs security server out East that is really the culprit. We'll never know i suppose, all i know for certain is that playing this game with any delay/lag is a huge disadvantage and one that cripples the gameplay for me. Unfortunately this has led to me all but putting the game down and not playing anymore (haven't bought 18 and doubt i will, but i do gameshare with someone who bought it)

    Do you have a modem/router that can handle the fiber speeds?

    Yes, my router was largely considered one of the best gaming routers available when i bought it, Believe me, i've done my research and invested more time and money into trying to get this game lag free then i care to talk about here.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    You don't need a killer speed to play lag free. The most important things are the quality of the cables they run to your house and how far away you are from the main box for internet.

    except i play on Fiber, and fiber just became available in my hood like 3 years ago and the main hub for their fiber network for my area is literally set up outside my house. There's something going on, I'm not going to write off the fact that it might be something on my ISPs end, but I've exhausted every option I have on my end and still experience the same issues.

    I really think a centralized server location would go a long way, but maybe it's as simple as that Eastern hop at EAs security server out East that is really the culprit. We'll never know i suppose, all i know for certain is that playing this game with any delay/lag is a huge disadvantage and one that cripples the gameplay for me. Unfortunately this has led to me all but putting the game down and not playing anymore (haven't bought 18 and doubt i will, but i do gameshare with someone who bought it)

    Who is your fiber company?

    Telus...was on their highest quality of internet at the time which was 100D/30U, i see they offer 150/150 now, time for an upgrade haha.
  • While in a game, look at the Network Statistics, what ping are you getting?

    high end, 38, low end 10...the games with 10 play decently probably 75% of the time, but its not consistent to get that server which is by far the biggest issue. I know you can't compare it to a game like rocket league, but thats a game i can play on virtually any north american server and have 0 noticeable difference in the way the game feels. Hell, even Fifa i don't see as noticeable of a difference as there is in NHL.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    RSall14 wrote: »
    I'd like to know what changed from last gen to current in terms of connections. I never got delay from any of the last gen NHL games. Occasionally I would get fat man lag but that was when I used wifi. Back then fat man lag wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. You would still be able to play and compete. As soon as I switched to a wired connection I had no issues. Now with the current gen games I get delay if I don't play on the west servers.

    Pretty much new engines calculating more things with higher resolutions. The Ignite engine didn't last very long. If NHL goes to Frostbite it could help a tiny bit with the game being more smooth but overall it's just better eye candy ability.
    i would figure that only information going over the internet is what button your pressing at any given time and the rest is handled by you ps4 system on your end.
    on a side note: they really should go 60fps already. it would make the inputs so much more responsive. big problem in resent years has been the unresponsiveness of the controls. everything feeling clunky. fps should always go before graphics imo.

    Pretty sure it runs at 60fps. The real issue is on EA's end. They've already admitted to it and stated they have no idea how to fix it. This dates back to last year's game so don't expect them to fix it any time soon.

    Just don't buy the game if you're interested in playing online.

    I questioned their netcode from 10 to 13 and they said that they didn't know how to solve the problem then as well.

    Seems to me like they need a networking engineer to help program their netcode. Claiming they don't know how can't be good for business.

    When you see people saying they are being routed from US east to Ireland. Or US west to east and then back its a bit ridiculous. That should never happen in a properly designed netcode setup. Unless of course the user chooses to connect to the European server.
  • For anyone with doubts about whether this is EA's problem or the users, I've had plenty of issues with NHL connections even with a home setup that is severely overbuilt. I've had gigabit fiber service (only 100 Mb right now, since it was never above 1% utilized), completely hardwired CAT6 network, low input latency TV, and a DIY router run by a i5-6600 that has stood through someone trying to DDoS me for the last 5 minutes of a HUT game.

    NHL is the only game I ever have problems with. Everything else is flawless. I've collected countless logs on my end looking for issues, but there's nothing significant on my end. NHL uses less than 1 Mb throughput is about the only useful piece of information I've been able to come up with.
  • don't worry.

    some added animation sequences taking the actual control and skill away from the players will fix this right up.
  • and by the way, from the game clips I am seeing uploaded by people on my friends list, I am not missing much here.

    looks like 17.

    acts like 17.

    is 17 w/ a poke sweep.

    oh... and a 3's mode.

    and customized mascots. can't forget those.
  • and by the way, from the game clips I am seeing uploaded by people on my friends list, I am not missing much here.

    looks like 17.

    acts like 17.

    is 17 w/ a poke sweep.

    oh... and a 3's mode.

    and customized mascots. can't forget those.

    That's pretty much my view on things as well, and am happy that I decided to get Destiny 2 instead. As much as I may get bored with grinding in Destiny 2, the core gameplay and online modes are solid, which is way more than I can say for NHL right now. I'll take a game that I might get bored of after 100 hours over one that I regularly need to quit and stop playing because it's so frustrating.
  • and by the way, from the game clips I am seeing uploaded by people on my friends list, I am not missing much here.

    looks like 17.

    acts like 17.

    is 17 w/ a poke sweep.

    oh... and a 3's mode.

    and customized mascots. can't forget those.

    That's pretty much my view on things as well, and am happy that I decided to get Destiny 2 instead. As much as I may get bored with grinding in Destiny 2, the core gameplay and online modes are solid, which is way more than I can say for NHL right now. I'll take a game that I might get bored of after 100 hours over one that I regularly need to quit and stop playing because it's so frustrating.

    literally looks like 17.

    same "highlights" I have seen for years.

    didn't even bother to change the presentation graphics or.... really anything.

    I mean... come on... 60 + bucks? I have the money, that's not really what this is about at this point.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    You don't need a killer speed to play lag free. The most important things are the quality of the cables they run to your house and how far away you are from the main box for internet.

    except i play on Fiber, and fiber just became available in my hood like 3 years ago and the main hub for their fiber network for my area is literally set up outside my house. There's something going on, I'm not going to write off the fact that it might be something on my ISPs end, but I've exhausted every option I have on my end and still experience the same issues.

    I really think a centralized server location would go a long way, but maybe it's as simple as that Eastern hop at EAs security server out East that is really the culprit. We'll never know i suppose, all i know for certain is that playing this game with any delay/lag is a huge disadvantage and one that cripples the gameplay for me. Unfortunately this has led to me all but putting the game down and not playing anymore (haven't bought 18 and doubt i will, but i do gameshare with someone who bought it)

    Do you have a modem/router that can handle the fiber speeds?

    Wow.... Just... Wow.

    Sinbin will look for any excuse imaginable rather than ever have to admit that EA might be responsible for a problem.

    Hardware issues aren't unreasonable. I have my own issues with the game. They just aren't related to connections.

    Except that there are no "low speed" capable routers... If you were geniunely trying to be helpful in this thread, you might have (smartly) tried looking up something you CLEARLY have ZERO knowledge about.

    As always, you are simply trying to kiss up to EA. Problem is you're just making yourself (and them) look foolish with every post where you're clearly trying smooch their derrière instead of actually trying to be helpful to your fellow community member.

    As for the issue, I'm not a network specialist, but from what I do know, I'm guessing that the main issue is how the game distributes the player base throughout the different EA Servers (east and west) automatically. I can understand why EA may be preventing users from specifying a preferred server (so that any one server doesn't become over saturated). Still, it would be a nice option to have. And if our preferred server is too full, then a simple prompt telling us that there are too many people and if we'd like to be moved to another server (yes/no) would help ease people's frustrating experience online with this series.

    I've tried to be helpful many times on these forums. However, I'm seen as a fanboy because I've taken the necessary steps to play lag free. It's just been my experience that my lag issues were on my end. I was able to resolve them myself.

    There are most definitely routers that max out at lower MBPS. When you get a higher speed connection, you need a DOCSYS 3 modem to handle higher speeds. That's why I suggested that.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Sinbin wrote: »

    I've tried to be helpful many times on these forums. However, I'm seen as a fanboy because I've taken the necessary steps to play lag free. It's just been my experience that my lag issues were on my end. I was able to resolve them myself.

    There are most definitely routers that max out at lower MBPS. When you get a higher speed connection, you need a DOCSYS 3 modem to handle higher speeds. That's why I suggested that.

    1st, you said ROUTER in the original post, not MODEM.

    2nd, your ISP decides what modem they give you, but not always what router you use for your network at home. DOCSYS and ADSL modems, when they first came out, were capable of maximum speeds of around 2-5 Mbps (download/upload), which is more than enough to play a game online.

    I was playing SF4 online with a puny 2 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up connection back in 2009 and it was just fine. Now I have a Fiber Optics VDSL connection at home (60/10), I still play SF4 and there is no difference in connection quality at least from my side. The times I have issues is due to the game's netcode which can sometimes be iffy due to high latency when opponents fight from a great distance appart.

    3rd, having a gaming router doesn't change much except that it can give you tools to manage your network a little better and so avoid a bottleneck that could potentially affect your online experience. But whether you have a 10 Mbps or 980 Mbps connection, your choice of router won't suddenly affect your connection quality all that much unless you have 20 devices at home, all streaming Netflix at the highest quality and downloading torrents at the highest bandwith possible.

    I have about 15 devices at home all connected to a simple non-gaming router. At any given time, there may be up to 8 devices connected simultaneously, at least 2 of them streaming Netflix movies. I can still play any game online, including NHL, without a problem. The only issue I've come up with is when my son decides to stream while I try to stream. I sadly don't have the upload to support 2 live streams (yet).

    If people have problems with connection to a game, it's either your telephone/cable lines or it's the game's netcode. If all other games are fine, it's not the router or modem or your lines. Chances are it's the game and its netcode that are the issue.
  • Can anyone answer why my connection would go from my ISP to Redwood, then to Massachusetts, then back to Redwood?
  • Can anyone answer why my connection would go from my ISP to Redwood, then to Massachusetts, then back to Redwood?

    That is a prime example of the poor netcode behind this game. There is no reason for it. Although I guess there could be reason for it if you were connected to the east coast servers, but imo no reason for you to be connected to those.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Can anyone answer why my connection would go from my ISP to Redwood, then to Massachusetts, then back to Redwood?

    Because your DNS query returned with an IP that is advertised from a network in Redwood.

    Or are you in Redwood? Where are you and what are you trying to get to.... A URL?
  • I think its on ea's end. I don't know much about networks but, if all the steps in ea's netcode are necessary, why am i still able to connect and play online, without lag, when I've ip blocked one of the connections it was sending me to in Ireland when I live in B.C.?
  • I think its on ea's end. I don't know much about networks but, if all the steps in ea's netcode are necessary, why am i still able to connect and play online, without lag, when I've ip blocked one of the connections it was sending me to in Ireland when I live in B.C.?

    Do you have packet captures or flows captured of actual game traffic reflecting game traffic packets to / from Ireland?
  • nickythewop
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I think its on ea's end. I don't know much about networks but, if all the steps in ea's netcode are necessary, why am i still able to connect and play online, without lag, when I've ip blocked one of the connections it was sending me to in Ireland when I live in B.C.?

    Do you have packet captures or flows captured of actual game traffic reflecting game traffic packets to / from Ireland?

    It's also worth noting that just because you Google an IP or hostname and it tells you that a server is in a particular country doesn't make that true. Even if a server has ireland as part of the name, that could just be a coincidental naming convention if "i" stands for "internet facing", "rel" means "release" or live environment, "an" because the servers are in Anaheim, and "d" is just because they have four servers A, B, C, and D.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    NHL17 played poorly online for me at the start of the year which is why I avoided it altogether

    I started playing a lot of EASHL at the end of the year (last couple months) and had a good experience.

    But same as NHL 17, 18 online has started very poorly for me.

    I agree the game looks and plays a lot like 17. It has tweaks that make the game more enjoyable for me as an offline player.

    Co-op HUT with friends was the major selling feature for me and I'm happy thus far... and the kids are getting a kick out of NHL 3s.
  • TemujinKhan1162
    40 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Can anyone answer why my connection would go from my ISP to Redwood, then to Massachusetts, then back to Redwood?

    Because your DNS query returned with an IP that is advertised from a network in Redwood.

    Or are you in Redwood? Where are you and what are you trying to get to.... A URL?

    im in illinois, EA's Server that i ran a trace route was in Redwood California. So it went from illinois to Redwood, to Mass, and then finnally back to redwood.

  • Personally I've had 0 issues with lag or input delay in nhl 18. Even with quite a few devices going on the wifi my ping has been at 15 every game and I've played just over 40 dropin/eashl games. I didnt have any issues in NHL 17 either other thn in club challenge there was some input delay.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!