EA Forums - Banner

I already hate Threes.

Annoying. It's just not...fun at all. The team you start with is 100% useless. Actually...correct myself, the goalie you start with is useless. I have yet to complete ONE game because I keep having to restart, he gives up goals on the first four shots every game. After the first two games, I decided to do a little experiment...I "rematched" immediately after giving up the third goal on the third shot every game...and every time...three shots, three goals. The mode isn't broken, yet, Im not ready to say that yet...it could actually be fun if your goalie was at least able to stand upright. Needs a lot of work

Replies

• Just to reiterate, your goalie needs to be a little better. I like the idea, the smaller ice...meh. Feels a bit like Free for All from NHL 05. The starting stuff needs ALOT of work to make it even remotely fair...like I said, a goalie who gives up 7 goals on 8 shots consistently is a major failure
  • I had to turn the difficulty down to Pro I believe to get past the first team (Oilers). Once you get Hunter, the mascot, it makes it a bit easier because you'll end up going against teams of the AHL level or worse. They also give you decent rewards and you'll end up with some capable players that will make facing teams like Calgary and others later much less frustrating.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • Thanks for the tip, appreciate not hearing "git gud". I'll try that. My pride stopped me from turning the difficulty down
  • Haha, no problem. Had the same problem with my own pride at first. I couldn't accept that the game was beating me.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Speaking of difficulty levels, I've been playing those HUT challenges for now (the leftmost after the centennial challenges), and it's easy to gauge with them what is suitable level for you, because they keep getting progressively more difficult. I think PRO is the level that's best for me. I am average at this game at best, I don't use much deking, and I like to pass and take shots from the blueline, you know bit like real hockey. At pro level I can beat the AI most of times regardless of the team, and the AI doesn't 'cheat' too much. Sometimes they get to this overdrive mode, but you can manage it, and it never gets too bad. Whereas in All-star I need to play a half a dozen games to eke out an 0-1 win after penalty shots, if I am lucky. I can score 0 to 2 ogals at best, because I don't get that many good chances in the slot, and the goalies just keep saving other shots with the odd exception.

At all star or above, the cheats really get much too heavy for me, the AI is way faster regardless of the players involved, it beats you for posession every fricken time, it's one stick-lift after another before you can do anything with the puck, and even if you hit the opponent and then poke the puck a couple of times, they still keep coming at you. And they score every time they get a shot, it's either a superhuman reaction to rebound, one-timer after a high speed series of passes, or just plain shot from 'open' space. I can limit the AI to 3 or 4 shots per game, and they still score a couple of goals. I don't know how everyone can enjoy all-star or superstar, but I guess it takes a deke-god to manage with the stupidly difficult gameplay? And it's not that the AI plays well, it just has all the advantages possible.

Speaking of stupid, it just seems to me that it's not only the opposing AI that gets a boost at this level, it looks like your team gets really dumb at the same time? Your players (not the guy you're controlling) take really stupid penalties, and so you're playing short-handed an entire period, unless the Ai scores. And your team mates seem to ignore some passes too, some odd stuff happening a lot more than at easier levels. It's like the simulation level gets more difficult/realistic or something. I am not sure if you can set the levels for challenges, I normally play at simulation maxed though.

But yes, the odd games I have played of threes, I think Pro is deffo the best for me personally, to keep games fun. I am not even going to try it at harder levels. It just wouldn't be fun. Not that I am going to play threes too much, I don't think it that interesting.
  • Difficulty is very hard this year. All-Star gives me a good challenge. Superstar is just pure CPU cheese.
  • I will be very honest the CPU was butchering me pretty good on ALL-Star in Threes. I ended up training to the penalty box trying to dive and block shots haha.

Just wait until EA teaches the AI how to use the defensive stick. Hopefully for NHL 19 they will know how and when to use it and we can relax the arbitrary difficulty modifiers like acceleration and speed etc in favor of just better AI. The AI in general though has improved over the years with feedback and refinement. Pro is harder than it used to be in the old days. I remember when the defense used to be nothing more then pylon AI defenders that would give you all the room you needed walking it in every time.

How about that AI in Three's though on ALL STAR ;) I'm afraid to even try Stupidstar if it has it LOL.

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    KWAiRT wrote: »
    How about that AI in Three's though on ALL STAR ;) I'm afraid to even try Stupidstar if it has it LOL.

I've always enjoyed playing on Superstar mode in the past cause you always need to play a VERY solid defensive game to stop them. In 18 you could play extremely solid D but your goalie just lets in everything. CPU goalie reaction speed id ridiculously unrealistic ... like the human body can't bend and move that fast... which isn't even fun. I like a challenge but this is just silly.

Even on pro difficulty CPU goalie makes at least 1desparation paddle save of the year in ever game which is also frustrating.
  • I ended up swallowing my pride and dropping down to pro for the first few. After I acquired a couple good heroes(for the Pac circuit), I went back up to AS and the same problem occurred, goalie allowing 6 goals on 6 shots vs the Hitmen to lose the game(6 goal limit). A few, and I will record this next time, went straight through the crest on the goalie's jersey. This has happened a few times in both this and Franchise mode...I hope they can patch that soon...

Rainbow, as far as the difficulty goes, you're right...it does seemed ramped up. Pro feels like previous year's AS difficulty. Which is ok, I always played on AS in previous years so it feels the same, but for some reason in my mind Im going "you suck you had to tune the difficulty down"...even though Im putting two and two together and noticing they tweaked the difficulty
  • trw1987
    396 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Also when the money puck drops...notice how the CPU becomes immune to defence? I went from being up 5-0 in a six goal limit game...to suddenly tied 3-3(stupid -1 pucks) Gotta be that guy...Im trying not to, but it really seems like the Ice Tilt exists large in Threes.

Here is my reasoning.

Get up a few goals, wait for a money puck. Watch YOUR players. Even when you control them, they suddenly start turning AWAY from the puck when a pass is coming their way. The game suddenly doesn't let you switch to the player needed when there is a two on one, it will keep switching back and forth between the two players well behind the play.
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    Also when the money puck drops...notice how the CPU becomes immune to defence? I went from being up 5-0 in a six goal limit game...to suddenly tied 3-3(stupid -1 pucks) Gotta be that guy...Im trying not to, but it really seems like the Ice Tilt exists large in Threes.

Here is my reasoning.

Get up a few goals, wait for a money puck. Watch YOUR players. Even when you control them, they suddenly start turning AWAY from the puck when a pass is coming their way. The game suddenly doesn't let you switch to the player needed when there is a two on one, it will keep switching back and forth between the two players well behind the play.

That's an easy issue to fix. Hold down the RT/R2 to force the game to have you control the skater closest to your net.

I'm gonna take a guess and say the game doesn't inform you about this anywhere. So in short, not your fault. Keep plugging away and accept that the computer will have games where everything miraculously goes right for them.

If you have to, glitch goal to counter the computer cheese. You'll feel bad about it at first, but then relieved when you realize you beat the AI when it was trying so hard to cheat.
  • I'm gonna take a guess and say the game doesn't inform you about this anywhere.

I only know of "last man back" because I saw it in a Bacon Country video and even he didn't know about it till someone mentioned it on youtube.
  • I've had a real challenge on Superstar but I've still edged out the wins. I've felt my defense is what gets me the wins with easy breakaway goals.
  • trw1987 wrote: »

Here is my reasoning.

That's an easy issue to fix. Hold down the RT/R2 to force the game to have you control the skater closest to your net.

I'm gonna take a guess and say the game doesn't inform you about this anywhere. So in short, not your fault. Keep plugging away and accept that the computer will have games where everything miraculously goes right for them.

If you have to, glitch goal to counter the computer cheese. You'll feel bad about it at first, but then relieved when you realize you beat the AI when it was trying so hard to cheat.

Not sure if serious or not, but benefit of the doubt given. Appreciate it. It is aggravating and I do think the player switch needs a bit of tweaking but I'll try that

• I am getting upset with the games that i have been losing in NHL threes on Pro. I wish NHL 20 never had Pro as the difficulty to earn the Mascots in the Eastern conference. Why can it be semi pro not Pro.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4773 posts EA Community Manager
    This thread is from September 2017. Closing thread to avoid further necroposting.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.