EA Forums - Banner

Be a pro mode,

Question. In NHL 18, in the be a pro mode, once you get drafted, do you start out in the NHL or AHL ? I know in 17, you automatically went to the NHL no matter on how your performance was. I want to work my way up through the AHL to the NHL. Thanks. Also if you are in the NHL, can you get demoted to the AHL ?

Replies

• You have the following 3 options:
    1. Start in the Memorial Cup to determine where you get drafted.
    2. Start in the NHL and choose which team drafts you.
    3. Start in the CHL and you can choose your age (15, 16, 17, 18). Your age determines your starting attributes (for example, if you choose 15 your starting attributes are at 53 while at age 17 it's 59) and you start at the beginning of the season. If you choose 15 or 16 for the age, you'll play multiple seasons in the CHL before getting drafted.

And, yes you can get demoted just like last year. Also, you can now request to be traded. Other than that, it's pretty much exactly the same as last year with some minor tweaks to AI, gameplay, etc.

And ... Unfortunately, it's the same ridiculously boring grind as before. No story, nothing to keep your interest, takes forever to advance your attributes unless you play every single game (the whole game), nothing new, nothing exciting, just blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wasted a few days starting at age 15 and only playing the 3rd period of about half the games and I advanced from a 53 to a 54 by the end of the season. Basically, you can't sim anything if you ever want to advance your attributes (which unfortunately is really the only possible thing to work towards in this boring grind of a mode).

It's sad really because this mode used to be my favorite mode and could be great but they obviously don't want to put any effort into it.
  • You can be drafted, then go back to juniors and if you impress enough, work your way to the AHL, then the NHL all in one season. At least this year it takes awhile to make your player good. Last year was boring being a 95 overall after like 5 seasons. This year you won't be a 90 overall (by simming) for around 8 NHL seasons or so. A lot more realistic.
  • IMO, it doesn't matter what your potential overall rating is. It could be 60 or 90 or 190 and this mode would still be less exciting than watching paint dry. No story, nothing different or unique with presentation, no feeling of achieving anything, nothing to immerse you into the atmosphere, nothing to get excited about, nothing surprising, nothing but play a few games, select training, play a few games, select training, play a few games, select training ................................................................................................
  • IMO, it doesn't matter what your potential overall rating is. It could be 60 or 90 or 190 and this mode would still be less exciting than watching paint dry. No story, nothing different or unique with presentation, no feeling of achieving anything, nothing to immerse you into the atmosphere, nothing to get excited about, nothing surprising, nothing but play a few games, select training, play a few games, select training, play a few games, select training ................................................................................................

Hey now, you can become captain. Don't leave that part out.
  • Even doing the very start of NBA 2k17s be a pro mode you just can tell they try to make it much more immersing and I don't really like basketball but I got hyped by that game.
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Even doing the very start of NBA 2k17s be a pro mode you just can tell they try to make it much more immersing and I don't really like basketball but I got hyped by that game.

Yeah 2k and Sony Interactive actually put care, thought, professional development into their games. Refreshing right?

bro, you can request to be traded, one miracle at a time lol
  • lucienholmen
    1 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Can you become Capten in be a pro? And how
  • Can you become Capten in be a pro? And how

Yeah you can. I think EA threw us some favoritism because in my last three my guy has become the Captain. I think just produce and you become Captain. In my Charlie Conway series where I chose to start in the CHL at age 16, he was Captain in year two, then I think became Captain as third year pro. Just perform and pretty sure your guy will get C.
  • Aredub27
    2 posts New member
    Omg I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I love be a pro mode. No bull, just hockey which is what the game IS supposed to be. Forget these stupid ridiculous story lines. Their long, repetitive and unrealistic. That's what ruined nba2k (ex. nba2k16). Who needs it! Dumb! Let's just play hockey! If you want fantasy storylines go play Barbie dreamhouse!
  • Aredub27
    2 posts New member
    Everyone just wants instant gratification. No one wants to put in the work. Do great players just start out great? No! They have to work for it! Why do people by sports games to just sim through all the games anyways? Lame!
  • in NHL 19, be a pro can you create a new player and keep the same settings you've used with the current player you created?
  • Socair
    2811 posts Game Changer
    Closing old thread. New topic was made regarding last post.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.