EA Forums - Banner

Idea to improve the forum.

7Gx4Wx.png
This appears any time you go to post on this site, could be a great addition here or something similar.

The other thing that really helps there is that the title bar for a new thread is also a search so if you type something that already exists it will show up and you're more likely to go in there and post rather than creating a new thread.

Replies

• 7Gx4Wx.png
    This appears any time you go to post on this site, could be a great addition here or something similar.

The other thing that really helps there is that the title bar for a new thread is also a search so if you type something that already exists it will show up and you're more likely to go in there and post rather than creating a new thread.

dont really agree with all of this
  • Care to elaborate? What don't you agree with and why?
  • Care to elaborate? What don't you agree with and why?

the fourth step is way too much work at that point...feels like school and nobody likes that
  • @MetalMilitia623 Those are some good ideas indeed. I will pass them forward.

However, I will say that I am not sure the rules bit could be done like that on Vanilla. Something similar maybe with a board wide announcement but specifically like that the default Vanilla does not have I think. Maybe with a plugin at best but still not sure. Good idea in overall etc.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    mike50591 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? What don't you agree with and why?

the fourth step is way too much work at that point...feels like school and nobody likes that

It helps a lot though. You learn a lot about the tone of your writing and actually become much better at conveying your ideas in a polite and coherent manner. You can see many here struggle with that and just post out of pure frustration. Which is another thing that last step helps with. You read what you write and think,"that's pretty hostile/aggressive. Maybe there's a better way to say this"

Becoming a better writer is only beneficial to everyone you might talk to on the internet and yourself. Always strive to become better every day, and if not better then do something that will make the next day easier for you. If you do one of or both of those daily you will be happier each and every day.

Good luck.

Thanks @XXXO77O4906
    Also someone should be able to edit the html code and add a message like that above the create post and create thread boxes. I'd think, with my basic knowledge of html coding.
  • mike50591 wrote: »

It helps a lot though. You learn a lot about the tone of your writing and actually become much better at conveying your ideas in a polite and coherent manner. You can see many here struggle with that and just post out of pure frustration. Which is another thing that last step helps with. You read what you write and think,"that's pretty hostile/aggressive. Maybe there's a better way to say this"

Becoming a better writer is only beneficial to everyone you might talk to on the internet and yourself. Always strive to become better every day, and if not better then do something that will make the next day easier for you. If you do one of or both of those daily you will be happier each and every day.

Good luck.

Thanks @XXXO77O4906
    Also someone should be able to edit the html code and add a message like that above the create post and create thread boxes. I'd think, with my basic knowledge of html coding.

in terms of the anger i think a good idea is if people are frustrated they should save a post as a draft and then wait 24 hours to see if they are still angry...like how you are told about saving a letter in your drawer and sending it out 24 hours later if you are still mad
  • This guy doesnt even play NHL, so that should be a factor as well. Most own the GAME to post.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    This guy doesnt even play NHL, so that should be a factor as well. Most own the GAME to post.

Which game? This is NHL general and I own an NHL game. Even still you're just salty because I speak logically and intelligently. You're not used to that here for the most part.

This is 100% a public forum and is in no way restricted. If you don't like what I say you can ignore me and/or leave.
  • mike50591 wrote: »

LMAO are you serious? You must be one of those people that types "TL;DR" like it's a burn when someone writes more than three sentences. The world gets dumber and more anti-intellectual every day. Read a book slugger.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey @MetalMilitia623 ,

I have to say I like this idea a lot, it may not be possible to implement this exact functionality and it may take a lot of time but it's something I'd personally like to see on the forum. I'll pass this on to our teams to see if we can get something along this lines in the long haul. Thanks for your feedback :smile:

@MartinScoresEZ & @mikeq67 , I've removed both of your comments from here as they are off-topic and attempt to derail the conversation. If you have the chance you can check out our rules.

Thanks,

Roger.
  • I think this is a great idea. I know I've sometimes posted something, re-read it and found things I wanted to correct/edit afterwards.

But not everyone takes the time to do that. Maybe something like this on the forums would help to clean things up a bit around here.

Thumbs up!
  • Its a good idea in theory but in practice, I suspect most people would just press next without reading the same way you press agree on a license agreement. I know for a fact that I wouldnt think twice about it and just move forward with my reply or post idea before I lose my thought.

With that being said, if it helps one out of 20 people improve the quality of a post, its far from a wasted effort.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    Its a good idea in theory but in practice, I suspect most people would just press next without reading the same way you press agree on a license agreement. I know for a fact that I wouldnt think twice about it and just move forward with my reply or post idea before I lose my thought.

With that being said, if it helps one out of 20 people improve the quality of a post, its far from a wasted effort.

On that board it's not something you just skip like that. It's always there above every post you make, whether it's a whole new thread or a post in an existing one.

The other thing that does really help too is the search built into the title bar for new threads. So on this forum people typing 3 on 3 blah blah would be more likely to see an existing post and use it rather than create new.
  • if it detects the title and comes up with suggestion based on previous recent posts I think it would be amazing and a great use of current technology.