EA Forums - Banner

My proposed solutions to greatly improve the game.

Prev1
kezz123
572 posts Member
edited September 2017
I have worked in fields where I find root cause issues to problems and propose solutions and have had great success in achieving great results in that field all my life. Im not smarter than everyone but I do excel in this field as well as customer service. With that out of the way, id beg the NHL devs to bring this to the table for discussion. I come from an EASHL background only and so these are aimed at that mode but may impact other modes too. There are many issues to address but I feel these are core issues that severely impact the game in a negative way and drives people off.

Issues that are being addressed by these suggestions:
-Game not feeling fun.
-Game not feeling rewarding.
-Feeling of unfairness.

Goalies:
The first item is pertaining to goalies. People feel like they outshoot opponents, make great plays, and then barely win or flat out lose those games anyways. People feel its unfair. People feel its unrewarding to make a nice play, beat the defense just to be stopped by the AI goalie. The result is frustrating games whether you win or lose....feels like work....feels like working against "the man" (ice tilt) etc.

For the very same reasons, its unrewarding to play as a human goalie outside of 6s because facing an AI goalie as a human goalie is "usually" a sure loss. Humans will make mistakes and AI is random but likely to be way more consistent.

Solution #1 (2 parts):
Part 1
Make AI goalies weaker. You now have great defensive tools. You can push players to the outside and stop cross crease with fair ease. If you dont, its now your failure and the AI goalie should rarely bail you out unless the one timer shot was weak or inaccurate. This will restore a reward for beating the D and will create a higher disparity between weaker teams on defense and the outcome of the game. It may also encourage teams to play D but more importantly, it will encourage people to play Human goalies as the opposing goalies wont be so formidable anymore.

Part 2
Restore multiple dressing rooms. Multiple dressing rooms allowed teams to have many players which meant that they more often had enough online players to play a game of 6s. This was healthy for the game. Removing those dressing rooms forced teams to break up into smaller teams because nobody wants 6 extra players to sit out one night when say, 12 players are on at the same time. As such, 6s was harmed greatly with the removal of multiple dressing rooms. Design a new season system that cant be abused by playing countless 2s games in multiple rooms. Put a cap on games that can be played in a "season" simulating a real season. You can make weekly seasons of up to 50 games for instance. There are solutions but restoring the multiple dressing room is the healthiest thing you can do for the game....both for gameplay and for community.

TPS and player classes:
TPS has been condoned as a major factor in most complaints about the game being unfun. TPS is deemed clunky and frustrating to many. Feeling like you are stuck in mud, feeling like you cant move the way you want, feeling unresponsive and slow and feeling unfair when you get beat due to not being able to do what you intended on a play. Unfair, frustrating and unfun are things you will hear over and over when discussing TPS.

Solution #2:
Most people will admit that TPS is not nearly as bad when playing offline with an NHL team. The difference is usually in the attributes. Although there is no doubt that TPS still needs work, increasing the overall attributes, mainly speed, agi and accel for ALL EASHL classes is a must to improve this situation. Why are EASHL players feeling like 60-70 overall players instead of making EASHL great by giving players higher overalls? The gameplay would be faster, more goals would be scored, TPS would be less impactful but also Defenders would benefit from this with better control. It evens out but would:
make the game more fun and exciting
make the game more rewarding.

Im not saying to put everyone at 99 overall but you can increase the movement across the board while also still having the same weaker attributes in certain category depending on the class picked. Nobody wants to feel like a mediocre players when playing EASHL, we want to feel like superstars especially when it comes to skating. Restore explosiveness in EASHL and im sure that even the complaints about losing custom builds will start fading.

Thats actually it. 2 solutions, or 3 if you count the 2 parts of solution 1 and you will make the game more rewarding, more fair, more fun and overall more credible to most users. The drawback is obviously that the weaker teams who are paired against stronger teams will likely lose by more goals again and may quit games more often. I think that having seen both sides of the medals, most will prefer this over nonstop close frustrating games. Even weaker teams play even weaker teams and get frustrated at this. Overall, the negative impact will be mitigated and can hopefully be mitigated further by tweaking the matchmaker.

Once this is done, you can go back to tweaking pucks through skates/sticks, add features, iron out bugs, and it will all matter a lot more because people will start playing the game again and have fun with it. Complaints will still come but the goal is not to eliminate complaints, its to restore fun, fairness and accountability.

As a side note, Network performance is culprit to fatman lag and has been for years and this directly makes TPS worse in many games. It makes games feel unfair, unfun and frustrating when it happens to you. it needs to be on the long term goals of the NHL crew to improve this aspect of the game but I havent included it in the above solutions as I feel its a more challenging and expensive to resolve issue which can be endured a bit longer as long as the above short term goals are accomplished.

Replies

• I'm with you on most of this. I really think if they improve the skating and "speed" of things then that will solve a lot of the issues we're having. As far as EASHL attributes go, I'm for giving us full customization but your proposal would be a fair compromise but I doubt it gets implememented. For whatever reason the beta "felt" better and then on release everything was lethargic. Not sure what they changed. The patch addressed some issues but we still have work to do.
  • phil7488 wrote: »
    I'm with you on most of this. I really think if they improve the skating and "speed" of things then that will solve a lot of the issues we're having. As far as EASHL attributes go, I'm for giving us full customization but your proposal would be a fair compromise but I doubt it gets implememented. For whatever reason the beta "felt" better and then on release everything was lethargic. Not sure what they changed. The patch addressed some issues but we still have work to do.

I cant relate from personal experience because I didnt play 1v1 in beta but does the versus mode feel better when it comes to TPS while using NHL players instead of EASHL players?

If so, then the stats would likely be the culprit for the TPS as I suspect. It used to be this way anyways and i'd be surprised if that changed.

Basically, if versus works with game speed x and player builds x, there is no reason why EASHL should be any different. But for some reason, there seems to have been a habit of making EASHL build more lacking and further away from superstar NHL players (and im not saying the builds need to be based on the top superstars who are good at almost everything but instead pick superstars who excel in specific roles and use those stats to generate the specific class for that superstar in EASHL. why is EASHL based off low skill players only? Its just one of those status quo that hasnt been properly challenged and reflected yet in my opinion.

• kezz123 wrote: »
    phil7488 wrote: »
    I'm with you on most of this. I really think if they improve the skating and "speed" of things then that will solve a lot of the issues we're having. As far as EASHL attributes go, I'm for giving us full customization but your proposal would be a fair compromise but I doubt it gets implememented. For whatever reason the beta "felt" better and then on release everything was lethargic. Not sure what they changed. The patch addressed some issues but we still have work to do.

I cant relate from personal experience because I didnt play 1v1 in beta but does the versus mode feel better when it comes to TPS while using NHL players instead of EASHL players?

If so, then the stats would likely be the culprit for the TPS as I suspect. It used to be this way anyways and i'd be surprised if that changed.

Basically, if versus works with game speed x and player builds x, there is no reason why EASHL should be any different. But for some reason, there seems to have been a habit of making EASHL build more lacking and further away from superstar NHL players (and im not saying the builds need to be based on the top superstars who are good at almost everything but instead pick superstars who excel in specific roles and use those stats to generate the specific class for that superstar in EASHL. why is EASHL based off low skill players only? Its just one of those status quo that hasnt been properly challenged and reflected yet in my opinion.

To me when I play HUT it feels just as bad with most players. Acceleration is awful as well as pivoting and turning to make plays.
  • are your players good or low skill in HUT?
    IE: do you have superstars or just beginning with mostly new players ? I assume its not easy to acquire higher overall players?
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    are your players good or low skill in HUT?
    IE: do you have superstars or just beginning with mostly new players ? I assume its not easy to acquire higher overall players?

Couple superstars and mostly above average players. Acceleration and agility are still low in most situations.
  • Cool thanks so presumably if they got more agi/accel/speed they would feel better to use. May however also have to do with the speed the game is on i guess.
  • The progressive attribute system never should have been removed.
  • Easy solution. Less skill gap compression. Arguing it’s existence is counterproductive. Make people accountable and the game will become fun again.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited September 2017
    The eashl attributes are rather high.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • What if every build is using the 13 inch blades and that's why everyone seems so fast and not agile? I heard you can't change those anymore.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

I find that hard to believe. It's a night and day difference using an NHL defenseman and trying to use defenseman in EASHL.

If they actually are rather high, why not make them available to view instead of just showing us a couple of bars.

I find that hard to believe. It's a night and day difference using an NHL defenseman and trying to use defenseman in EASHL.

If they actually are rather high, why not make them available to view instead of just showing us a couple of bars.

because it's none of your BIDNESS!
  • I guess im making a suggestion without having a way to know the exact cause of the issue since im not an EA dev but at the end of the day, playing a player, offense or defense, in an nhl team in versus for instance and playing the same position in EASHL feel like 2 different things altogether. Whatever the way they do it, make them the same.
    '

I beg to differ. It feels like you are actually playing with CHL rated players more often than not. Like someone mentioned...day and night difference between those D and NHL D. No disrespect meant Bunny.
  • If I'm not lagging the skating feels better . if I'm lagging the skating feels like my players overall is 45.
  • If I'm not lagging the skating feels better . if I'm lagging the skating feels like my players overall is 45.

And that's why it's a great idea to propose better skating so he feels like a 75 or an 80 overall as opposed to a 45.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited September 2017
    trw1987 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

I beg to differ. It feels like you are actually playing with CHL rated players more often than not. Like someone mentioned...day and night difference between those D and NHL D. No disrespect meant Bunny.

No disrespect taken. I'm just stating, I've seen the attributes. They are well within the 80s and with some in the 90s for specialized attributes on the particular class.

I don't think they've been posted because people would nitpick at the attributes - weighting them against other players of that playertype. The point of the attributes on the playerclasses is to make that build play like that class. If the PWF build plays like a PWF, then the job is done. Posting the attributes wouldn't lead to anything constructive.
    PSN: B-Bunny
    trw1987 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

No disrespect taken. I'm just stating, I've seen the attributes. They are well within the 80s and with some in the 90s for specialized attributes on the particular class.

I don't think they've been posted because people would nitpick at the attributes - weighting them against other players of that playertype. The point of the attributes on the playerclasses is to make that build play like that class. If the PWF build plays like a PWF, then the job is done. Posting the attributes wouldn't lead to anything constructive.

Maybe posting all of them wouldn't help but posting a select few might. Showing the agility specifically could help address some of the issues people have with tps. Another thing to help would be to show which type of skate blades are being used, if it's all the same or not.

I remember I'd always use the 9" one because you could move around way better in front of the net for both offense and defense.

It would absolutely be useful if EA posted the full attributes. Right now all we have are the vague ratings for a few general categories of attributes, but because of the game to game differences in connections, you can't just play two games in a row as different player types and know for sure if it was the game having a better connection or you working with that player type better. Having the full attributes takes subjectivity out of the equation because you know exactly what you're getting with each player type and can get a feel for how each attribute works at different values and then picking a class that fits with what you want to do.

As for people complaining and nitpicking about the values if they were released, do you really expect us to believe that EA can't handle people complaining about the game in this forum? Are they currently at capacity for the number of issues they can ignore?
  • OvenMitts91
    64 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    The player attributes aren't as important as the sliders used for 6v6 gameplay.

The game speed and player acceleration tuning will have more of an impact on actually making the game feel explosive and fast twitch (like hockey is supposed to feel) than simply bumping the builds from 90 speed to 95 speed.

Go toy with the sliders offline to see what I mean. A few clicks to the right with the gamespeed slider and the players actually feel like they can accelerate out of stops and starts akin to someone with at minimum high school leg strength, rather than senior citizen leg strength as the current slider set would suggest.
    Post edited by OvenMitts91 on