EA Forums - Banner

Switching to another Player

Prev1
Is it just me or is the "Switching to another Player" function still messed-up?

There are time were I have to toggle through 3 or 4 players in order to finally take control over the player who's nearest to the puck. Am I the only one who has issues with this??

Replies

  • I'm playing NHL 2k6 on the original xbox atm browsing the forums. I use "icon switch" every game to select the defenseman I want. I only get burned when I make a bad play instead of not being able to switch to exactly who I want.

    So I wonder why 12 years later EA still doesn't offer the option to "icon switch" players.

  • Yes, looks still pretty bad to me. Not sure if any work was done on that, but we definitely wanted a fix as a Gamechangers.

    Probably not a game seller, so it was deprioritized as other things.
  • I'm playing NHL 2k6 on the original xbox atm browsing the forums. I use "icon switch" every game to select the defenseman I want. I only get burned when I make a bad play instead of not being able to switch to exactly who I want.

    So I wonder why 12 years later EA still doesn't offer the option to "icon switch" players.

    I hear you.

    The year "2K" released their first installment I got hooked and never looked back ... at EA. Well, until the day when there was no "2K" anymore.



  • Yes, looks still pretty bad to me. Not sure if any work was done on that, but we definitely wanted a fix as a Gamechangers.

    Probably not a game seller, so it was deprioritized as other things.

    Yep, obviously mascots took priority over some important game mechanics.
    Why am I not surprised.

  • yeah its pretty broken...constantly switches you to the player furthest away from the play
  • I'm playing NHL 2k6 on the original xbox atm browsing the forums. I use "icon switch" every game to select the defenseman I want. I only get burned when I make a bad play instead of not being able to switch to exactly who I want.

    So I wonder why 12 years later EA still doesn't offer the option to "icon switch" players.

    989 Sports NHL Face Off used to have Icon based passing / player switching as well! LOVED IT, I too can't figure out why EA hasn't adopted it!
  • I know double tapping the player switch button used to make you take the last man back. Sounds though like you want to be someone more upfront than the last man back.
  • its not complicated, its a lack of their understanding that a) this is important and b) how the game of hockey works

    for the 1millionth time ... please fix player switch. when other team has puck and i hit button it should switch to closest player to the puck that is still in between the puck and the crease. if i hit it again it should go to next best option within same criteria. i for the life of me have no idea what the criteria could possible be today. like many things in this game the switching system is nonsense.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited September 2017
    We actually spent time on the logic taking into account what the community was asking in regards to the original logic. The system is now less complex in terms of prediction who you may want than it was in the past which makes it a lot better in the general case but could use something more in specific cases (but that is also why the previous system got more complex).

    The current system gives you the player that will first intercept the point/path of the puck based on all the current factors at the time of request. If we just used closest to the puck, you may constantly get switched into players that were just beat. You may also not just want a player that is closest in the path of the net because that player may still be 10 strides away when you actually have a player lateral with them or on the backcheck that can get to the puck quicker to disrupt a pass/shot attempt rather than just be in their future skating path towards the net. The current skating of the player you are switching into is very important to. You don't want to switch into a player that is physically closer but skating the opposite direction to cover an off puck player as you would then need to stop their current momentum before they are capable of intercepting the puck carrier to perform an action.

    I would like to see us favor being goal side more when in your defensive zone than we currently are as it would help get in a lane to block a shot or deter a path to the net rather than just make a play on the puck which is often a better choice but it would have to be a factor between the two conditions to get the best player most likely.

    For those that mentioned the switch to last man back, it is a hold of the switch button.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited September 2017
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    I'm playing NHL 2k6 on the original xbox atm browsing the forums. I use "icon switch" every game to select the defenseman I want. I only get burned when I make a bad play instead of not being able to switch to exactly who I want.

    So I wonder why 12 years later EA still doesn't offer the option to "icon switch" players.

    989 Sports NHL Face Off used to have Icon based passing / player switching as well! LOVED IT, I too can't figure out why EA hasn't adopted it!

    We have some designs for icon based and directional switching with the sticks but it is edge cases when in multiplayer and when it comes to line changes, etc. that start to add complexities to get it right. Still something we want to continue to look at for sure as more manual control is great as long as the mechanic gives Players what they need.

    Icon passing is different as it changes the twitch game quite a bit. Right now, manual control over your left stick is part of the skill and control of the game. All of the physical factors of error (passing against your momentum, backhand vs forehand, player attributes, etc.) can all still weigh into an icon passing system but a lot of players still like the manual control in a hockey game for bank passes, etc. and that there is twitch differentiation between players as well.
  • RSall14
    574 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I'd take the previous player switching any day over what we have now. Never had problems with it on any last gen games. There's times where an opposing forward will be skating straight at my defense and the game chooses to switch to a player beside or a little behind the puck carrier rather than the dman. Holding R2 takes way too long to switch to a defender. The time for it to switch needs to be lower or you guys need to find a better solution. I'd take a double tap over holding, but again old gen trumps current gen.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    RSall14 wrote: »
    I'd take the previous player switching any day over what we have now. Never had problems with it on any last gen games. There's times where an opposing forward will be skating straight at my defense and the game chooses to switch to a player beside or a little behind the puck carrier rather than the dman. Holding R2 takes way too long to switch to a defender. The time for it to switch needs to be lower or you guys need to find a better solution. I'd take a double tap over holding, but again old gen trumps current gen.

    A manual solution would help that case and two taps is often still used for when we don't contextually get the right player. So in your case, when you think you want the player further ahead, it would be two taps in those cases if you get the player closest to the puck first and didn't want them.

    I hear you on the old switching as personally I preferred it in a lot of cases too and the system we have now actually went back with the old method in mind. It just may need a few contextual rules for favoring goal side, especially as you get closer to your defensive net as I mentioned in the post above.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    I'd take the previous player switching any day over what we have now. Never had problems with it on any last gen games. There's times where an opposing forward will be skating straight at my defense and the game chooses to switch to a player beside or a little behind the puck carrier rather than the dman. Holding R2 takes way too long to switch to a defender. The time for it to switch needs to be lower or you guys need to find a better solution. I'd take a double tap over holding, but again old gen trumps current gen.

    This. Old player switching system worked great. I can't recall any posts on the forums complaining about it but now we're 3 straight years into having the newer playing system which is clearly not working right. I've had it take 2-3 seconds sometimes just to player switch, that is way too long in an online game.

    File player switching and puck pick-ups into the same category of being a problem in current gen, but weren't broken in previous gen. Just like player switching, we're now an additional year where pick-ups do not work right.

    People still praise the previous gen NHL's because the older system (although perhaps simpler?) worked. It's so simple. If you just would combined the graphics of this gen NHL with the gameplay of previous gen NHL you would have had a lot of happy campers, in my opinion.

    You guys, however, insist on this frustrating gameplay mechanics. It's simply not fun having your controller feel broken when trying to play a game. And by you guys I don't mean the devs, I mean whoever (the suits?) is behind wanting the NHL series to play this way.
  • Definetly would like too see a wider range of options for player switching. The current system leaves a lot to be desired and quite often i don't get the player I want. I still prefer a button mapping so I know exactly which player I'm going to get so when I read a play I can have the exact player I want(see nba2k)
  • Nobody wants icon passing. We want the regular passing mechanics we currently have and the ability to icon switch on defense. Not sure why we're suddenly discussing icon passing as a reason not to include icon switching.
  • I think player switching is perfect!!1111111

  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    I think player switching is perfect!!1111111


    This is exactly what I'm talking about, it should have switched you to the dman. There's plenty of times where this occurs and its frustrating. Glad someone posted a video of it.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited September 2017
    This is a good video. It is the main reason the logic was more complex before and why although people thought it was a simple fix and it made sense to always just switch to the closest player to the puck, that isn't always the case.

    Now that people are getting the player that can get to the puck the fastest, they are starting to see where other rules are needed.

    It isn't just as simple as always getting the player goal side either as they may still be too far away and a lateral player could still get to the puck and goal side faster.

    If the player in this clip just pressed player switch one more time, they would most likely have got the nearest dman. In the best case scenario you get the player you want on the first press and most times it works well with the simplified logic, but the best method at this point is to watch the player you want to switch into and press switch until you get them. In this case, the player pressed switch and then moved their finger to press poke before realizing what player they switched into rather than pressing switch one more time first.

    I would like to see us add some rules to favor goal side once already goal side and/or once in zone. There are exceptions though as the puck gets moved back out to the point or a player is retreating so it isn't black and white.

    That is also why we look at who will intercept the puck first rather than just picking a player closest to the puck to rule out a close backchecker that will never catch the puck carrier or to differentiate two players, one of which may be closer but in an action where they would need to stop heading the other way first before they can head towards the puck so the other player may be a better choice.


  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    NHLDev wrote: »
    This is a good video. It is the main reason the logic was more complex before and why although people thought it was a simple fix and it made sense to always just switch to the closest player to the puck, that isn't always the case.

    Now that people are getting the player that can get to the puck the fastest, they are starting to see where other rules are needed.

    It isn't just as simple as always getting the player goal side either as they may still be too far away and a lateral player could still get to the puck and goal side faster.

    If the player in this clip just pressed player switch one more time, they would most likely have got the nearest dman. In the best case scenario you get the player you want on the first press and most times it works well with the simplified logic, but the best method at this point is to watch the player you want to switch into and press switch until you get them. In this case, the player pressed switch and then moved their finger to press poke before realizing what player they switched into rather than pressing switch one more time first.

    I would like to see us add some rules to favor goal side once already goal side and/or once in zone. There are exceptions though as the puck gets moved back out to the point or a player is retreating so it isn't black and white.

    That is also why we look at who will intercept the puck first rather than just picking a player closest to the puck to rule out a close backchecker that will never catch the puck carrier or to differentiate two players, one of which may be closer but in an action where they would need to stop heading the other way first before they can head towards the puck so the other player may be a better choice.


    There should be a heavy favour to goal side players. Like in this example, it should have switched to the defender first. The majority of your players are going to want the defender in that case. If they want someone different then make them be the ones to hit switch twice.

    Players should have to play more defence in 1v1 modes. Switch them to the defender and make them defend the puck carrier.
    Post edited by Workin_OT on
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »
    This is a good video. It is the main reason the logic was more complex before and why although people thought it was a simple fix and it made sense to always just switch to the closest player to the puck, that isn't always the case.

    Now that people are getting the player that can get to the puck the fastest, they are starting to see where other rules are needed.

    It isn't just as simple as always getting the player goal side either as they may still be too far away and a lateral player could still get to the puck and goal side faster.

    If the player in this clip just pressed player switch one more time, they would most likely have got the nearest dman. In the best case scenario you get the player you want on the first press and most times it works well with the simplified logic, but the best method at this point is to watch the player you want to switch into and press switch until you get them. In this case, the player pressed switch and then moved their finger to press poke before realizing what player they switched into rather than pressing switch one more time first.

    I would like to see us add some rules to favor goal side once already goal side and/or once in zone. There are exceptions though as the puck gets moved back out to the point or a player is retreating so it isn't black and white.

    That is also why we look at who will intercept the puck first rather than just picking a player closest to the puck to rule out a close backchecker that will never catch the puck carrier or to differentiate two players, one of which may be closer but in an action where they would need to stop heading the other way first before they can head towards the puck so the other player may be a better choice.


    There should be a heavy favour to goal side players. Like in this example, it should have switched to the defender first, and then if he would rather the closer backchecker let that take another switch.

    Players should have to play more defence in 1v1 modes. Switch them to the defender and make them defend the puck carrier.

    HARUMPF!!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!