EA Forums - Banner

Switching to another Player

2Next

Replies

• NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited September 2017
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    There should be a heavy favour to goal side players. Like in this example, it should have switched to the defender first, and then if he would rather the closer backchecker let that take another switch.

Players should have to play more defence in 1v1 modes. Switch them to the defender and make them defend the puck carrier.

Depends on how you look at it. If in this example, we switched the player to the defender, the backchecker who was the player that was able to get to the puck carrier first would have been controlled by ai and the human player would have just kept a gap while the ai defender attempted to make a play on the backcheck. So if you want the human player to play defense, you technically want them to be the player that is most likely to intercept the puck carrier first. In a lot of cases during the rush that will be the defender since the puck carrier is moving forward and away from any backcheckers but in this case, the backchecker was gaining faster than the puck carrier was approaching the defender.

Again, with that said, I mentioned that I would add rules at this point to favor goal side. It just doesn't make sense to do that as a hard rule or else we may switch the human player to a defender that is 2nd or 3rd most likely to intercept/get to the puck carrier first.

As an example, if you are already goal side with your previous controlled player and ask to switch and the other defender is within 'x' percent of the future frames to the puck as the closest backchecker, then you pick the goal side defender instead of the backchecker even though he may technically have a chance to get to the puck first. That would possibly help this particular scenario.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    We actually spent time on the logic taking into account what the community was asking in regards to the original logic. The system is now less complex in terms of prediction who you may want than it was in the past which makes it a lot better in the general case but could use something more in specific cases (but that is also why the previous system got more complex).

The current system gives you the player that will first intercept the point/path of the puck based on all the current factors at the time of request. If we just used closest to the puck, you may constantly get switched into players that were just beat. You may also not just want a player that is closest in the path of the net because that player may still be 10 strides away when you actually have a player lateral with them or on the backcheck that can get to the puck quicker to disrupt a pass/shot attempt rather than just be in their future skating path towards the net. The current skating of the player you are switching into is very important to. You don't want to switch into a player that is physically closer but skating the opposite direction to cover an off puck player as you would then need to stop their current momentum before they are capable of intercepting the puck carrier to perform an action.

I would like to see us favor being goal side more when in your defensive zone than we currently are as it would help get in a lane to block a shot or deter a path to the net rather than just make a play on the puck which is often a better choice but it would have to be a factor between the two conditions to get the best player most likely.

For those that mentioned the switch to last man back, it is a hold of the switch button.

tl;dr, icon switching or RS switching is in every game but NHL. I'm willing to program it for free if its too hard to ask after 1992-2017 of the franchise. #bringbackthebag
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    There should be a heavy favour to goal side players. Like in this example, it should have switched to the defender first, and then if he would rather the closer backchecker let that take another switch.

Players should have to play more defence in 1v1 modes. Switch them to the defender and make them defend the puck carrier.

Depends on how you look at it. If in this example, we switched the player to the defender, the backchecker who was the player that was able to get to the puck carrier first would have been controlled by ai and the human player would have just kept a gap while the ai defender attempted to make a play on the backcheck. So if you want the human player to play defense, you technically want them to be the player that is most likely to intercept the puck carrier first. In a lot of cases during the rush that will be the defender since the puck carrier is moving forward and away from any backcheckers but in this case, the backchecker was gaining faster than the puck carrier was approaching the defender.

Again, with that said, I mentioned that I would add rules at this point to favor goal side. It just doesn't make sense to do that as a hard rule or else we may switch the human player to a defender that is 2nd or 3rd most likely to intercept/get to the puck carrier first.

As an example, if you are already goal side with your previous controlled player and ask to switch and the other defender is within 'x' percent of the future frames to the puck as the closest backchecker, then you pick the goal side defender instead of the backchecker even though he may technically have a chance to get to the puck first. That would possibly help this particular scenario.

I agree it shouldn't be a hard rule to pick the goal side player every time but I think it should be heavily favoured like it seemed to be on previous gen. This clip should pick the defender first and if the player wants to closer guy he can hit switch twice.

The way it is now you end up having to hit switch twice more often, because you want that defender, than if it was more weighted towards the defender and you had to hit it twice because you really wanted that closer guy. So it's worse this way, because you have to hit switch multiple times now. If it was weighted to favour the defender more most people would have to hit it twice less times per game. That's why more people have complained about player switching this gen than last.

• Couldn't you do the best of both worlds? Tap lt and you auto switch using the already existing algorithm. Hold it and you get icon switching. Seems like the simplest and best solution to this and would make most everyone happy.
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    Couldn't you do the best of both worlds? Tap lt and you auto switch using the already existing algorithm. Hold it and you get icon switching. Seems like the simplest and best solution to this and would make most everyone happy.

Yep, that is how an icon switch would most likely work. We have prototypes for that solution. I have mentioned in other threads that it isn't the base implementation that is as hard, it is the edge cases to make sure you get everything right and the rendering/visual side as well.

Once you get into line changes and multiple players playing on a team, you need to handle some cases where choices change/are taken away.

I have design notes on how to solve them all and we also had a good screen space distribution on the original assignment of the icons as well (some people wanted it by position but screen space felt great) but it hasn't ever got to a state that it is ready for prime time, nor can we guarantee it would.
  • @NHLDev That's cool to hear as I love listening to devs talk about their games like this, which is why I am involved in many early access games on pc. Talking to devs about the complexities of their games on as detailed a level as I can is very interesting. I operate and program CNC machines for my job so listening to people who program video games is so interesting.

On the flip side as interesting as it is, I also see the problems that arise from the yearly release cycle of this game. Where releasing it once and continually updating it would allow for more time to be spend developing these kinds of things that we can all see will improve the little aspects of the game.