EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Online Numbers

Prev1
I have recently moved to PS4 for this game. I noticed a ton of online players but only ~400 in drop in at a time. We also have a ton of problems finding club games which leads to believe that people are playing other online modes?

1- What is everyone playing?
2- Can anyone tell me what the numbers for drop in xbox one are like? And how easy/hard are club games to find?

Replies

• NHL community is dying out. Such a struggle to find club games on PS4 and not many drop-in users compared to previous years. Threes was a mistake as it fragmented the community and now there is less people that play actual hockey in 6s.

NHL could greatly benefit from crossplay. It is called EASHL, but it is basicaly 2 different leagues as Xbox and Playstation players can not play together. What a stupid setup. EA needs to put pressure on Sony to adopt crossplay. MS is already a willing party.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    NHL community is dying out. Such a struggle to find club games on PS4 and not many drop-in users compared to previous years. Threes was a mistake as it fragmented the community and now there is less people that play actual hockey in 6s.

NHL could greatly benefit from crossplay. It is called EASHL, but it is basicaly 2 different leagues as Xbox and Playstation players can not play together. What a stupid setup. EA needs to put pressure on Sony to adopt crossplay. MS is already a willing party.

Guy 20,000 on xbox right meow.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    NHL community is dying out. Such a struggle to find club games on PS4 and not many drop-in users compared to previous years. Threes was a mistake as it fragmented the community and now there is less people that play actual hockey in 6s.

Guy 20,000 on xbox right meow.

How many in drop-in and club?
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »

Cross platform could even include PC, bringing even more people into the game. :)
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • I know I have seen 300-400 the past couple days, thats normal isn't it?

As for club stats, I haven't been able to see the total numbers. When your in a club your not able to see that value. But I will leave my club to see and report back later today.
  • Fact still remains that the NHL gaming community is small today compared to hits glory days of NHL 09/10/11/12.
  • filling a 6vs6 dropin matchup barely happens.

3"s absolutely killed it. i don't remember 6's in 17 this horrendously bad
  • Drop in numbers are barely half of what I saw in 17 on a nightly basis.
  • BassMan_PC
    324 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    This is all very discouraging. I remember the launch periods in previous years and there would be over 2000 drop-in users. Now we are averaging around 300-500 in the evenings on both Xbox and Playstation. These missing people are not playing club instead.... They are no longer playing the game all together. Sales must be terrible this year. This series has never been the same since transitioning to this current gen. So many things are worse.
  • How is everyones experience getting a club game going this year. I think we can all agree the drop in numbers are WAY lower this year.

Having said that I was two nights ago on ps4 and there were 9000+ using the online modes. Which mode are people playing? Are any of you playing arcade 3's online? Mostly hut? vs?
  • BassMan_PC
    324 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't think the online player total accurately represents online play. I think it is just showing how many users there are logged into the EA servers. I find it hard to believe there are 20,000 people actively participating in online game modes and only 300-500 of those are playing drop-in.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    I know I have seen 300-400 the past couple days, thats normal isn't it?

As for club stats, I haven't been able to see the total numbers. When your in a club your not able to see that value. But I will leave my club to see and report back later today.

300-400 Is a crap number though buddy. I guess more people play HUT nowadays than they do drop in or club.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »

300-400 Is a crap number though buddy. I guess more people play HUT nowadays than they do drop in or club.

nah 3s took away player pool from 6s.
  • There's always at least 2k on rocket league at any given time in even the least played game mode...
  • Socair
    1762 posts Game Changer
    There's always at least 2k on rocket league at any given time in even the least played game mode...
    Gee, CoD BO3, a nearly three year old game, has even more.
    Your point? Professional hockey as a sport is the least popular amongst the big 4 in NA. This series has deteriorated every year since 11 and will never ever have numbers close to Rocket League.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • 17k on tonight, over 400 in drop ins
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »

Not really, back when we had lobbies. 1 or 2 sometimes 3 lobbies with 50 people

3x50 = 150 at the peak

And obviously people in the games, so how do we determine how many people are in the games?
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Socair wrote: »
    There's always at least 2k on rocket league at any given time in even the least played game mode...
    Gee, CoD BO3, a nearly three year old game, has even more.
    Your point? Professional hockey as a sport is the least popular amongst the big 4 in NA. This series has deteriorated every year since 11 and will never ever have numbers close to Rocket League.

I'm sure I'd have seen more users if I picked all servers not just east and all game modes not just hockey.. I also would have seen more on ps4 than pc because surprisingly that is the largest player base for rocket league.

The sport may be unpopular but from my understanding there's many like me who stopped buying the game. Heck, half my old club switched to pc after 360, myself included. They could probably make sales to non fans if the game was solid enough. I play NBA 2k17 and I really don't like basketball at all.
    Post edited by MetalMilitia623 on
  • Discounting div 10 in hut the base looks like 20,000.

Wow that's bad.

• This has nothing to do with the popularity of hockey, back in NHL 09/10/11/12 tens of thousands of people were online playing EASHL/Drop in. The game was extremely fun to play as the skating/vision control and overall game responsiveness was very solid, you could control your skater and all actions at all times.

This has not been the case ever since TPS was introduced and vision control was removed or severely damaged.