EA Forums - Banner

EASHL skating is terrible

Replies

• The thing that hurts TPS most is LAG!!!!
    I don't lag much, but when it happens controlling the skater is difficult.
    When there's no lag the skating is actually pretty good and way more realistic than pre TPS.

I like the momentum factor. It's a game within itself knowing when to speed burst...when to just glide...when to backskate...when to just turn and burn...etc..
    It actually takes skill to be a good skater.
    Just like real life....some are better at it than others.
    Like I said, I think real root of the frustration is lag.
    The "floating" skating of the old days was silly.

The thing is, a 10 year-old has more skating skill than any skater in this game. It's still not realistic, and actually, it's less realistic than floaty skating when it comes to low-speed adjustments. Get out of here with your realistic argument, because it's simply not true. It's just as unrealistic in a different way.

this. the poster above you hasn't owned the game since the current gen systems came out, yet he has over 500+ replies on this forum. hmmmm.

Maybe if ea wasn't discriminatory against pc people then that wouldn't be the case. Everyone knows that we live in a world where everything has to be pc and ea are being a bunch of racists.

takeyourhatespeechoutofthiscampus.gif
    When there's no lag the skating is actually pretty good and way more realistic than pre TPS.

I like the momentum factor. It's a game within itself knowing when to speed burst...when to just glide...when to backskate...when to just turn and burn...etc..

The thing is, a 10 year-old has more skating skill than any skater in this game. It's still not realistic, and actually, it's less realistic than floaty skating when it comes to low-speed adjustments. Get out of here with your realistic argument, because it's simply not true. It's just as unrealistic in a different way.

this. the poster above you hasn't owned the game since the current gen systems came out, yet he has over 500+ replies on this forum. hmmmm.

Maybe if ea wasn't discriminatory against pc people then that wouldn't be the case. Everyone knows that we live in a world where everything has to be pc and ea are being a bunch of racists.

Aaeeeyy, I wouldn't make that joke around these parts. You might accidentally offend someone who is telling their child they cannot dress as a disney character who has different colored skin.

Back OT, EA should to put the game on PC at some point. They really are throwing money out the window if they dont.

I believe more people would buy the game if they knew they could fix all its shortcomings over time and make the game as amazing as they want it to be. If they worry about not being able to sell a new roster, imagine NHL for PC being made once every five years. That way they could incorporate all the crazy gameplay additions they want at once instead of being concerned they wont be able to sell the game in increments.

Keeping in mind of course they can still focus on their console market just the same. Just my two cents.

Aaeeeyy, I wouldn't make that joke around these parts. You might accidentally offend someone who is telling their child they cannot dress as a disney character who has different colored skin.

Back OT, EA should to put the game on PC at some point. They really are throwing money out the window if they dont.

I believe more people would buy the game if they knew they could fix all its shortcomings over time and make the game as amazing as they want it to be. If they worry about not being able to sell a new roster, imagine NHL for PC being made once every five years. That way they could incorporate all the crazy gameplay additions they want at once instead of being concerned they wont be able to sell the game in increments.

Keeping in mind of course they can still focus on their console market just the same. Just my two cents.

And then they have to listen to the console players cry about not getting the community driven fixes on pc and how it's unfair and this and that. Waa waa waa. Mods make games better and afaik mods don't happen on consoles like they do on pc.

There's a lot of reasons why it won't happen but the biggest is ea. They like their closed off little safe space and don't want others to be able to potentially improve and fix their game.

takeyourhatespeechoutofthiscampus.gif

so why are you here telling people the skating is realistic and fine when you don't even play the game? rammer is that you?
  • I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch but am saying that I heard exactly the same complaints about it in the past and I was able to adapt to the tools given to me and utilize it to play solid defense against an always overpowered offense.

In 152 online vs games my record was 88-47-17. Average goals against was 1.47. And 46 of those games were shutout victories. Yes tps is not great but as you can see it's possible to use it. Or it was anyway.

People who actually have the ability to converse with others have told me that they have increased the lateral movement speed of the puck carrier from when I last played which is the source of many defensive weaknesses.
  • I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch but am saying that I heard exactly the same complaints about it in the past and I was able to adapt to the tools given to me and utilize it to play solid defense against an always overpowered offense.

In 152 online vs games my record was 88-47-17. Average goals against was 1.47. And 46 of those games were shutout victories. Yes tps is not great but as you can see it's possible to use it. Or it was anyway.

People who actually have the ability to converse with others have told me that they have increased the lateral movement speed of the puck carrier from when I last played which is the source of many defensive weaknesses.

omg seriously? Who here said "I can't play solid defense because of the skating?" Stop being dense and actually read what people are typing. This skating engine is terrible /= "I can't play defense".

In 110 HUT games in 15, I was 108-2 what's your point? Nobody here is asking you to teach us the game (because I can promise you I'm better than you) we're just pointing out that you should be able to skate better than a 5 year-old.
  • My point is people said that they skated like a pee wee player in 13 and I disagreed then. What's the difference now? I'd still likely disagree with you if I had played the game. Yes, it's not great but it likely isn't as bad as some of you try to make it out to be.

What the hell is wrong with you? Do you even read what you write? Are you just trolling?

That sounds ridiculous.
  • Did you read what I wrote? There's a question asked in there that you chose to ignore. Instead focusing on the part that upsets you because you disagree with my opinion.

I asked what has changed (be specific) between the current game and NHL 13?

Peronsally, I think the pivoting is worse o the "next-gen' than in 13. I think 13 was the best TPS game made. unfortuately, you haven't played the game in 5 years, so all you can basically do is troll in this conversation.
  • You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.
  • Did you read what I wrote? There's a question asked in there that you chose to ignore. Instead focusing on the part that upsets you because you disagree with my opinion.

I asked what has changed (be specific) between the current game and NHL 13?

Peronsally, I think the pivoting is worse o the "next-gen' than in 13. I think 13 was the best TPS game made. unfortuately, you haven't played the game in 5 years, so all you can basically do is troll in this conversation.

Personally I hated 13. It was the beginning of the end and the first NHL where we didnt play straight to the release of the next. We did however play most of the year....so was it better than 14+? yes. Was it good? no. We just didnt realize how much worse it could get.
  • You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.

You should open your wallet, buy the game, then comment on FACT, not supposition and then ask players to open their minds. You are comparing NHL17, 18 to NHL 09 or Legacy. The game has changed, get your facts and then your opinions up to speed.

You also say TPS is not great, but it is usable. No one is debating whether it is usable or not. Players are saying it is clunky, unpredictable, and a chore to use.

Sorry, but you come off as really close-minded while asking other people to be open minded.

Anyways, the point is, TPS has not made the game more fun, nor has it increesed sales.

You should open your wallet, buy the game, then comment on FACT, not supposition and then ask players to open their minds. You are comparing NHL17, 18 to NHL 09 or Legacy. The game has changed, get your facts and then your opinions up to speed.

You also say TPS is not great, but it is usable. No one is debating whether it is usable or not. Players are saying it is clunky, unpredictable, and a chore to use.

Sorry, but you come off as really close-minded while asking other people to be open minded.

Anyways, the point is, TPS has not made the game more fun, nor has it increesed sales.

My wallet has been pouring money... Just not into video games and my point is its not as bad as you guys make it seem. The second you claim something is broken you lose all ability to learn and improve.

I thought tps was clunky when I started using it and after enough time and I was proficient in it it became smooth as butter. What is different now that is making that not the case anymore?

My wallet has been pouring money... Just not into video games and my point is its not as bad as you guys make it seem. The second you claim something is broken you lose all ability to learn and improve.

I thought tps was clunky when I started using it and after enough time and I was proficient in it it became smooth as butter. What is different now that is making that not the case anymore?

LOL unless you're on meth, TPS is never "smooth as butter". Dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. All credibility has been lost. When you figure out how to construct a logical argument rather than a strawman, maybe I'll actually give you the time of day again. Until then, keep assuming criticisms of the blatantly limited skating engine = we don't know how to play, because that's nothing more than an assumption.

Sweet Lou, is this you? You have the same lack of reading comprehension and similar difficuty in constructing arguments, are you two the same person!?
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.

LOL unless you're on ****, TPS is never "smooth as butter". Dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. All credibility has been lost. When you figure out how to construct a logical argument rather than a strawman, maybe I'll actually give you the time of day again. Until then, keep assuming criticisms of the blatantly limited skating engine = we don't know how to play, because that's nothing more than an assumption.

Sweet Lou, is this you? You have the same lack of reading comprehension and similar difficuty in constructing arguments, are you two the same person!?

What exactly don't you like about the current version of TPS? You say you liked 13 better. That's fine. What did you like better? How it was more arcade like and forgiving? How it didn't account for real world human body movements and physics? Yes. It's not perfect now, but it's a ton more realistic than 13 was. You could glide across your skate blades. That breaks the laws of physics and would put you on the ice if done in the real world.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.

LOL unless you're on ****, TPS is never "smooth as butter". Dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. All credibility has been lost. When you figure out how to construct a logical argument rather than a strawman, maybe I'll actually give you the time of day again. Until then, keep assuming criticisms of the blatantly limited skating engine = we don't know how to play, because that's nothing more than an assumption.

What exactly don't you like about the current version of TPS? You say you liked 13 better. That's fine. What did you like better? How it was more arcade like and forgiving? How it didn't account for real world human body movements and physics? Yes. It's not perfect now, but it's a ton more realistic than 13 was. You could glide across your skate blades. That breaks the laws of physics and would put you on the ice if done in the real world.

It's funny, they claim I'm incapable of articulating an argument or something yet they all fail to explain why they don't like specific aspects of the game.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    It's funny, they claim I'm incapable of articulating an argument or something yet they all fail to explain why they don't like specific aspects of the game.

Yep. Constructive criticism is a lost art.

• Sinbin wrote: »

No, it's people like you two (one of you at least, who hasn't purchased the game) that sit here and derail threads because you say "it's realistic" lol. Ryan Suter doing a random spin at slow speeds is realistic to you guys huh? John Carlson not being able to face the puck at low speeds due to a garbage engine is realistic huh? Duncan Keith not being able to pivot like a four year old in-front of the net is realistic huh? Skating at 100% then going into an instant 5 foot leaping windmil with Paul Bissonette is realistic huh?

You cannot face the puck in siutations where 10 year-olds could face the puck with ease. Why are you defneding this engine? Do you two merely blockout the 200+ page thread on the old forums going into extrodinary detail as to the exact limitation of this game? Have any of those complaints been addressed? 100% no lol.

And in 13, you could not glide across your blade. The game played slower and the low-speed pivots actually worked. I'm sorry you two have a combined hockey and skating IQ of -4072 but the skating is not any more or less realistic than the arcadey skating. The hockey produced in-game is straight garbage. It looks like a bunch of mites tripping over each other while they all can't skate or protect the puck for more than a second lol.

I don't know why critics of TPS are always asked to go into 10000000+ character rants to expalin to the hockey-inept fanboys that love this skating, that the skating in this pre-alpha build is not anymore ralistic than arcadey skating, but you guys (again, one of you who hasn't even purchased the game and is the 100% definition of a troll) get to just sit here like toddlers yelling "IT'S RALISTK, IT DA BEST, IT GUDNRALISTIK" while offering no evidenc as to why the skating is more realsitic.

Again, if facing the puck and turing on a dime slightly too fast is any less realistic than all-star caliber defensemen not being able to face the puck at low-speed, then obivously you grew up playing basketball and shouldn't be on these forums, as you've admitedly never played the video game, and you clearly have never touched a sheet of ice in your life as well.

Now, I'll let you go back to playing mite hockey simulator/D-league beer league simulator 18 (whichever more accurately represents your knowledge of the sport, and/or ability when touching a sheet of ice).
  • You're too funny @Hi_Im_Smike I don't ever try to claim that tps is perfect just based on my ex with it (which I admit is limited) it's not as bad as people claim it is. I saw the same complaints regarding it back when I was a current player of the game and I felt it was more people not understanding how to use the engine then.

I keep asking what has changed between now and then but I can never get a straight answer as everyone is always too distracted by the fact that I haven't played the current game. You ever wonder why I haven't played it? Maybe I had a feeling "next" gen would only be worse for the game and so I stayed away.

It's not about who has played and who hasn't we're not just sitting here defending the game or tps we're asking you questions about it. Maybe our questions are too hard for you. Maybe you just flat don't know the answer because you've never thought about it in depth just saying "this is broken" instead of really thinking about it.

You talk about not being able to pivot at low speeds. Lots of people had that same problem in 13. Tons in fact, I was not one of those. I learned how to use the tps engine to pivot at low speed. Now obviously I don't know what may have changed, which is why I keep trying to ask but no one else seems to know either.
  • You talk about not being able to pivot at low speeds. Lots of people had that same problem in 13. Tons in fact, I was not one of those. I learned how to use the tps engine to pivot at low speed. Now obviously I don't know what may have changed, which is why I keep trying to ask but no one else seems to know either.

Man, there was literally a 200+-page thread on the old forums documenting, in excruciating detail and with many many clips, all of the problems with TPS on the new-gen consoles. Go track down a cached version of it if you're actually interested, rather than simply trolling.

Here are a couple of simple examples, from last year:

First, my LD gets the puck. I roll the LS in order to make him spin back, away from the forechecker, and to the left. That's what I'm clearly telling him to do. He doesn't. Instead, he jiggles back and forth and then just moves to the left, directly into the forechecker's stick:

Here, my guy picks up the puck. I'm telling him to skate straight ahead -- the LS is up the entire time. So does he skate straight ahead? He doesn't. Instead, he rocks back to his left, into the path of the guy chasing him:

This is the kind of stuff that happens all the time with new-gen TPS: players making weird pivots and spins and turns that the user isn't asking for. There's no way to avoid these things - in the clips above I was doing everything right, and was still sabotaged by TPS. It has nothing to do with user error - it has to do with a skating engine that's just clunky and riddled with problems. Just look at how often AI players end up with their backs to the puck, in both the offensive and defensive zones, because they've made bad spins and pivots.

Having said all that, please don't respond to this. You don't play the game. You haven't played it in years. You have literally nothing useful to add to this discussion.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    Man, there was literally a 200+-page thread on the old forums documenting, in excruciating detail and with many many clips, all of the problems with TPS on the new-gen consoles. Go track down a cached version of it if you're actually interested, rather than simply trolling.

Here are a couple of simple examples, from last year:

First, my LD gets the puck. I roll the LS in order to make him spin back, away from the forechecker, and to the left. That's what I'm clearly telling him to do. He doesn't. Instead, he jiggles back and forth and then just moves to the left, directly into the forechecker's stick:

Here, my guy picks up the puck. I'm telling him to skate straight ahead -- the LS is up the entire time. So does he skate straight ahead? He doesn't. Instead, he rocks back to his left, into the path of the guy chasing him:

This is the kind of stuff that happens all the time with new-gen TPS: players making weird pivots and spins and turns that the user isn't asking for. There's no way to avoid these things - in the clips above I was doing everything right, and was still sabotaged by TPS. It has nothing to do with user error - it has to do with a skating engine that's just clunky and riddled with problems. Just look at how often AI players end up with their backs to the puck, in both the offensive and defensive zones, because they've made bad spins and pivots.

Having said all that, please don't respond to this. You don't play the game. You haven't played it in years. You have literally nothing useful to add to this discussion.

3-on-3-tabletop-hockey.gif