EA Forums - Banner

EASHL skating is terrible

Replies

  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    @bmh245 in the first video you have your joystick at 430 which is why the player turns to the right before he goes left. The second video could be the game but it's not long enough to know if that turn is part of the puck pickup or because you are pressing the trigger for a pivot.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    You talk about not being able to pivot at low speeds. Lots of people had that same problem in 13. Tons in fact, I was not one of those. I learned how to use the tps engine to pivot at low speed. Now obviously I don't know what may have changed, which is why I keep trying to ask but no one else seems to know either.

    Man, there was literally a 200+-page thread on the old forums documenting, in excruciating detail and with many many clips, all of the problems with TPS on the new-gen consoles. Go track down a cached version of it if you're actually interested, rather than simply trolling.

    Here are a couple of simple examples, from last year:

    First, my LD gets the puck. I roll the LS in order to make him spin back, away from the forechecker, and to the left. That's what I'm clearly telling him to do. He doesn't. Instead, he jiggles back and forth and then just moves to the left, directly into the forechecker's stick:



    Here, my guy picks up the puck. I'm telling him to skate straight ahead -- the LS is up the entire time. So does he skate straight ahead? He doesn't. Instead, he rocks back to his left, into the path of the guy chasing him:



    This is the kind of stuff that happens all the time with new-gen TPS: players making weird pivots and spins and turns that the user isn't asking for. There's no way to avoid these things - in the clips above I was doing everything right, and was still sabotaged by TPS. It has nothing to do with user error - it has to do with a skating engine that's just clunky and riddled with problems. Just look at how often AI players end up with their backs to the puck, in both the offensive and defensive zones, because they've made bad spins and pivots.

    Having said all that, please don't respond to this. You don't play the game. You haven't played it in years. You have literally nothing useful to add to this discussion.

    Not to mention how the game actually pulls your player in unwanted directions to "assist" you and help you. Picking up lose pucks are also at an all time high in the "broken" department.

    But most of all, as you pointed out bmh, it is really all the low speed movements and weird pivots that kill this game. It's only when carrying the puck that TPS manages to hide all its faults the best.
  • @bmh245 in the first video you have your joystick at 430 which is why the player turns to the right before he goes left.

    No, no. I start with the joystick at 4:30, and roll it to 7. Because I roll it -- as opposed to just moving it to 7 -- my player should spin back away from the forechecker and then move up to his left. Instead, he just stands there, and then moves toward 7 - into the path of the forechecker.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    @bmh245 in the first video you have your joystick at 430 which is why the player turns to the right before he goes left.

    No, no. I start with the joystick at 4:30, and roll it to 7. Because I roll it -- as opposed to just moving it to 7 -- my player should spin back away from the forechecker and then move up to his left. Instead, he just stands there, and then moves toward 7 - into the path of the forechecker.
    You're right that's what should happen but that's not how tps works. Your movements with the stick are too fast for their system. You have to learn to slow your stick movements down and you will see better results.

    Until they improve it that's the way its been since 13.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    @bmh245 in the first video you have your joystick at 430 which is why the player turns to the right before he goes left.

    No, no. I start with the joystick at 4:30, and roll it to 7. Because I roll it -- as opposed to just moving it to 7 -- my player should spin back away from the forechecker and then move up to his left. Instead, he just stands there, and then moves toward 7 - into the path of the forechecker.
    You're right that's what should happen but that's not how tps works. Your movements with the stick are too fast for their system. You have to learn to slow your stick movements down and you will see better results.

    Until they improve it that's the way its been since 13.

    So what you're saying is, it's slow and clunky? Lol
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.

    You should open your wallet, buy the game, then comment on FACT, not supposition and then ask players to open their minds. You are comparing NHL17, 18 to NHL 09 or Legacy. The game has changed, get your facts and then your opinions up to speed.

    You also say TPS is not great, but it is usable. No one is debating whether it is usable or not. Players are saying it is clunky, unpredictable, and a chore to use.

    Sorry, but you come off as really close-minded while asking other people to be open minded.

    Anyways, the point is, TPS has not made the game more fun, nor has it increesed sales.

    My wallet has been pouring money... Just not into video games and my point is its not as bad as you guys make it seem. The second you claim something is broken you lose all ability to learn and improve.

    I thought tps was clunky when I started using it and after enough time and I was proficient in it it became smooth as butter. What is different now that is making that not the case anymore?

    LOL unless you're on ****, TPS is never "smooth as butter". Dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. All credibility has been lost. When you figure out how to construct a logical argument rather than a strawman, maybe I'll actually give you the time of day again. Until then, keep assuming criticisms of the blatantly limited skating engine = we don't know how to play, because that's nothing more than an assumption.

    Sweet Lou, is this you? You have the same lack of reading comprehension and similar difficuty in constructing arguments, are you two the same person!?

    What exactly don't you like about the current version of TPS? You say you liked 13 better. That's fine. What did you like better? How it was more arcade like and forgiving? How it didn't account for real world human body movements and physics? Yes. It's not perfect now, but it's a ton more realistic than 13 was. You could glide across your skate blades. That breaks the laws of physics and would put you on the ice if done in the real world.

    No, it's people like you two (one of you at least, who hasn't purchased the game) that sit here and derail threads because you say "it's realistic" lol. Ryan Suter doing a random spin at slow speeds is realistic to you guys huh? John Carlson not being able to face the puck at low speeds due to a garbage engine is realistic huh? Duncan Keith not being able to pivot like a four year old in-front of the net is realistic huh? Skating at 100% then going into an instant 5 foot leaping windmil with Paul Bissonette is realistic huh?

    You cannot face the puck in siutations where 10 year-olds could face the puck with ease. Why are you defneding this engine? Do you two merely blockout the 200+ page thread on the old forums going into extrodinary detail as to the exact limitation of this game? Have any of those complaints been addressed? 100% no lol.

    And in 13, you could not glide across your blade. The game played slower and the low-speed pivots actually worked. I'm sorry you two have a combined hockey and skating IQ of -4072 but the skating is not any more or less realistic than the arcadey skating. The hockey produced in-game is straight garbage. It looks like a bunch of mites tripping over each other while they all can't skate or protect the puck for more than a second lol.

    I don't know why critics of TPS are always asked to go into 10000000+ character rants to expalin to the hockey-inept fanboys that love this skating, that the skating in this pre-alpha build is not anymore ralistic than arcadey skating, but you guys (again, one of you who hasn't even purchased the game and is the 100% definition of a troll) get to just sit here like toddlers yelling "IT'S RALISTK, IT DA BEST, IT GUDNRALISTIK" while offering no evidenc as to why the skating is more realsitic.

    Again, if facing the puck and turing on a dime slightly too fast is any less realistic than all-star caliber defensemen not being able to face the puck at low-speed, then obivously you grew up playing basketball and shouldn't be on these forums, as you've admitedly never played the video game, and you clearly have never touched a sheet of ice in your life as well.

    Now, I'll let you go back to playing mite hockey simulator/D-league beer league simulator 18 (whichever more accurately represents your knowledge of the sport, and/or ability when touching a sheet of ice).

    I'm not trying to derail threads. I don't share the same hate for this game like many others. Yes, I hate that you occasionally spin uncontrollably, but it's far better than it used to be. I hated it in 17 and previously, but it's much better in 18. Maybe turn off auto-backskate? I don't know, but I face the puck pretty well. It also just might be my grasp of the skating engine. More people would rather complain about it than adapt.

    Yes. Go back to the last generation of games. Then stand still and move to the side. You don't see your player turn like the do now. You'll see them glade across their blades. Your player would turn, but it wasn't like it is now where they have to plant their feet and rotate their body.

    Maybe you just play with some unskilled people. I by no means am the best at this game, but the people I play with aren't tripping all over each other.

    I have said many times that skating is more realistic because your body has to actually make the same movements a human does. No, it's not a 1:1 recreation of real world physics, but it's much better than it used to be. You'd be very hard pressed to find a game that performed identical to its real world counterpart.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    You say trolling but I am really asking you lot to open your mind and think more instead of just raging on the game.

    You should open your wallet, buy the game, then comment on FACT, not supposition and then ask players to open their minds. You are comparing NHL17, 18 to NHL 09 or Legacy. The game has changed, get your facts and then your opinions up to speed.

    You also say TPS is not great, but it is usable. No one is debating whether it is usable or not. Players are saying it is clunky, unpredictable, and a chore to use.

    Sorry, but you come off as really close-minded while asking other people to be open minded.

    Anyways, the point is, TPS has not made the game more fun, nor has it increesed sales.

    My wallet has been pouring money... Just not into video games and my point is its not as bad as you guys make it seem. The second you claim something is broken you lose all ability to learn and improve.

    I thought tps was clunky when I started using it and after enough time and I was proficient in it it became smooth as butter. What is different now that is making that not the case anymore?

    LOL unless you're on ****, TPS is never "smooth as butter". Dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. All credibility has been lost. When you figure out how to construct a logical argument rather than a strawman, maybe I'll actually give you the time of day again. Until then, keep assuming criticisms of the blatantly limited skating engine = we don't know how to play, because that's nothing more than an assumption.

    Sweet Lou, is this you? You have the same lack of reading comprehension and similar difficuty in constructing arguments, are you two the same person!?

    What exactly don't you like about the current version of TPS? You say you liked 13 better. That's fine. What did you like better? How it was more arcade like and forgiving? How it didn't account for real world human body movements and physics? Yes. It's not perfect now, but it's a ton more realistic than 13 was. You could glide across your skate blades. That breaks the laws of physics and would put you on the ice if done in the real world.

    No, it's people like you two (one of you at least, who hasn't purchased the game) that sit here and derail threads because you say "it's realistic" lol. Ryan Suter doing a random spin at slow speeds is realistic to you guys huh? John Carlson not being able to face the puck at low speeds due to a garbage engine is realistic huh? Duncan Keith not being able to pivot like a four year old in-front of the net is realistic huh? Skating at 100% then going into an instant 5 foot leaping windmil with Paul Bissonette is realistic huh?

    You cannot face the puck in siutations where 10 year-olds could face the puck with ease. Why are you defneding this engine? Do you two merely blockout the 200+ page thread on the old forums going into extrodinary detail as to the exact limitation of this game? Have any of those complaints been addressed? 100% no lol.

    And in 13, you could not glide across your blade. The game played slower and the low-speed pivots actually worked. I'm sorry you two have a combined hockey and skating IQ of -4072 but the skating is not any more or less realistic than the arcadey skating. The hockey produced in-game is straight garbage. It looks like a bunch of mites tripping over each other while they all can't skate or protect the puck for more than a second lol.

    I don't know why critics of TPS are always asked to go into 10000000+ character rants to expalin to the hockey-inept fanboys that love this skating, that the skating in this pre-alpha build is not anymore ralistic than arcadey skating, but you guys (again, one of you who hasn't even purchased the game and is the 100% definition of a troll) get to just sit here like toddlers yelling "IT'S RALISTK, IT DA BEST, IT GUDNRALISTIK" while offering no evidenc as to why the skating is more realsitic.

    Again, if facing the puck and turing on a dime slightly too fast is any less realistic than all-star caliber defensemen not being able to face the puck at low-speed, then obivously you grew up playing basketball and shouldn't be on these forums, as you've admitedly never played the video game, and you clearly have never touched a sheet of ice in your life as well.

    Now, I'll let you go back to playing mite hockey simulator/D-league beer league simulator 18 (whichever more accurately represents your knowledge of the sport, and/or ability when touching a sheet of ice).

    I'm not trying to derail threads. I don't share the same hate for this game like many others. Yes, I hate that you occasionally spin uncontrollably, but it's far better than it used to be. I hated it in 17 and previously, but it's much better in 18. Maybe turn off auto-backskate? I don't know, but I face the puck pretty well. It also just might be my grasp of the skating engine. More people would rather complain about it than adapt.

    Yes. Go back to the last generation of games. Then stand still and move to the side. You don't see your player turn like the do now. You'll see them glade across their blades. Your player would turn, but it wasn't like it is now where they have to plant their feet and rotate their body.

    Maybe you just play with some unskilled people. I by no means am the best at this game, but the people I play with aren't tripping all over each other.

    I have said many times that skating is more realistic because your body has to actually make the same movements a human does. No, it's not a 1:1 recreation of real world physics, but it's much better than it used to be. You'd be very hard pressed to find a game that performed identical to its real world counterpart.

    I think the main issue most people who actually played a lot of hockey have in this game is that skating in real life is second nature when you play a lot, it's as easy as walking.

    In this game however, even the most simple things like facing the puck is a chore. In real hockey there are T pushes so you can face the puck while moving, so theres no need to have side floating style skating like we used to; but at the same time the current skating is hardly any better and at least we had full control pre tps.

    Argue for the new TPS style skating all you want, but it's no where near what it should be for something in development for 5-6 years. It'll never be good the way they are going about it, it's clunky, slow, and unpredictable, none of those words represent NHL skating abilities. The old style may have been arcady, but at least it was smooth and responsive.
  • The problem from most of the videos I've seen is people are trying to manipulate the tps engine far faster than it is capable of moving. It's like being in a racing game even if you're in an f1 car you can't take a sharp right into a sharp left at full speed, nor can you do that at no speed.

    There's limitations to a video game like this and you guys expect it to be a 1:1 recreation of real world skating and it's just not going to happen because ea isn't interested in that. You have to work with the limitations and yes while doing many actions on skates irl is second nature in vidya land you have to think about it more. "Why," you ask? Maybe it has something to do with you using your hands as opposed to two feet to control your skating.

    Driving is far easier to simulate than human actions and I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially on consoles.
  • The problem from most of the videos I've seen is people are trying to manipulate the tps engine far faster than it is capable of moving. It's like being in a racing game even if you're in an f1 car you can't take a sharp right into a sharp left at full speed, nor can you do that at no speed.

    There's limitations to a video game like this and you guys expect it to be a 1:1 recreation of real world skating and it's just not going to happen because ea isn't interested in that. You have to work with the limitations and yes while doing many actions on skates irl is second nature in vidya land you have to think about it more. "Why," you ask? Maybe it has something to do with you using your hands as opposed to two feet to control your skating.

    Driving is far easier to simulate than human actions and I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially on consoles.

    Exactly, like we have been saying, it's slow, clunky and unresponsive. I don't know what you aren't getting here.
  • @The_B_0_G I do get it. It's you lot that don't seem to get it. It's not working how you all want it to. So you complain it's broken. That's not going to make it suddenly work how you want.

    You have two options. Either adapt to how it currently works or stop buying and playing a subpar game. It's very simple and why I stopped. EA is a subpar at best publisher and I haven't bought anything from them in years and since I stopped I've been much less frustrated with video games and in general.
  • @The_B_0_G I do get it. It's you lot that don't seem to get it. It's not working how you all want it to. So you complain it's broken. That's not going to make it suddenly work how you want.

    You have two options. Either adapt to how it currently works or stop buying and playing a subpar game. It's very simple and why I stopped. EA is a subpar at best publisher and I haven't bought anything from them in years and since I stopped I've been much less frustrated with video games and in general.

    It's the only hockey game on the market, that's why people are here to complain, so that they take a different direction with the skating before they lose all of their player base. If it was something like COD then people would simply stop buying it, like I did, because there are tons of first person shooters.

    I don't watch any other sports or like any sport besides hockey so this is my only team based sport video game option.

    I buy this game to play with buddies who live across the country now, its the only time I turn it on. You say adapt to how it works or stop buying it, you yourself haven't bought it since the ps4 released, yet you come on here to lecture those that have bought it the last 3 years on how it should work. If its so easy to adapt why have you abandoned the game completely? You're a hypocrite.

    You rip on us for complaining but if we didn't complain nothing would ever change, defensive skill stick, defensive tie ups, couch co op, are all things that came back in the last few years because people complained on the forums about it.
  • You're right that's what should happen but that's not how tps works. Your movements with the stick are too fast for their system. You have to learn to slow your stick movements down and you will see better results.

    Until they improve it that's the way its been since 13.

    the game can't keep up with quick thumbs. i pointed this out to EA years ago and they laughed, even with video evidence in offline practice mode. who wants to play a game where the faster person on the sticks is penalized. it's ridiculous.
  • The_B_0_G wrote: »
    @The_B_0_G I do get it. It's you lot that don't seem to get it. It's not working how you all want it to. So you complain it's broken. That's not going to make it suddenly work how you want.

    You have two options. Either adapt to how it currently works or stop buying and playing a subpar game. It's very simple and why I stopped. EA is a subpar at best publisher and I haven't bought anything from them in years and since I stopped I've been much less frustrated with video games and in general.

    It's the only hockey game on the market, that's why people are here to complain, so that they take a different direction with the skating before they lose all of their player base. If it was something like COD then people would simply stop buying it, like I did, because there are tons of first person shooters.

    I don't watch any other sports or like any sport besides hockey so this is my only team based sport video game option.

    I buy this game to play with buddies who live across the country now, its the only time I turn it on. You say adapt to how it works or stop buying it, you yourself haven't bought it since the ps4 released, yet you come on here to lecture those that have bought it the last 3 years on how it should work. If its so easy to adapt why have you abandoned the game completely? You're a hypocrite.

    You rip on us for complaining but if we didn't complain nothing would ever change, defensive skill stick, defensive tie ups, couch co op, are all things that came back in the last few years because people complained on the forums about it.

    Rocket League is a replacement for this game if you're looking for something sport like with lots of teamwork.

    I got out because one I saw the writing on the wall and two I realized there's no point in having a solid gaming pc and a console.

    You say your complaints were heard because things that were part of the game and removed for no reason came back. Why is that acceptable? The second they pulled those features should have set off red flags.

    I too play games with people all over the world but we avoid games that are poorly designed. And if we do buy something like that it's usually less than 10$ so no big loss.

    I'd suggest you just quit nhl and play rocket league. It's a must better game if you want true teamwork in a sporting environment and it takes genuine skill which makes it way more satisfying to do something awesome in.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    The_B_0_G wrote: »
    @The_B_0_G I do get it. It's you lot that don't seem to get it. It's not working how you all want it to. So you complain it's broken. That's not going to make it suddenly work how you want.

    You have two options. Either adapt to how it currently works or stop buying and playing a subpar game. It's very simple and why I stopped. EA is a subpar at best publisher and I haven't bought anything from them in years and since I stopped I've been much less frustrated with video games and in general.

    It's the only hockey game on the market, that's why people are here to complain, so that they take a different direction with the skating before they lose all of their player base. If it was something like COD then people would simply stop buying it, like I did, because there are tons of first person shooters.

    I don't watch any other sports or like any sport besides hockey so this is my only team based sport video game option.

    I buy this game to play with buddies who live across the country now, its the only time I turn it on. You say adapt to how it works or stop buying it, you yourself haven't bought it since the ps4 released, yet you come on here to lecture those that have bought it the last 3 years on how it should work. If its so easy to adapt why have you abandoned the game completely? You're a hypocrite.

    You rip on us for complaining but if we didn't complain nothing would ever change, defensive skill stick, defensive tie ups, couch co op, are all things that came back in the last few years because people complained on the forums about it.

    Rocket League is a replacement for this game if you're looking for something sport like with lots of teamwork.

    I got out because one I saw the writing on the wall and two I realized there's no point in having a solid gaming pc and a console.

    You say your complaints were heard because things that were part of the game and removed for no reason came back. Why is that acceptable? The second they pulled those features should have set off red flags.

    I too play games with people all over the world but we avoid games that are poorly designed. And if we do buy something like that it's usually less than 10$ so no big loss.

    I'd suggest you just quit nhl and play rocket league. It's a must better game if you want true teamwork in a sporting environment and it takes genuine skill which makes it way more satisfying to do something awesome in.

    I just said I have no interest in other sports and you suggest a game where people fly around in cartoon cars hitting giant soccer balls around... I'm not 12 and have no interest in that game. Like I said, it's the only NHL game out, so I will continue to buy it until all my friends decide its too far gone to play , which is probably happening soon anyway.

    They also pulled those features when they released the bare bones NHL 15 for the next gen console. You weren't around but there was outrage and a lot of people didn't buy the game that year, like myself.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    They have a hockey puck and a basketball and even a cube you can play with... Seems like a fairly childish response to say, "I have no interest in other sports." then you continue to frustrate yourself with a game you aren't happy with just because it's the only one in town.

    That's akin to going to the super market for food everyday but getting food poisoning and you complain about it but you keep going back despite the food poisoning everyday...

    I just don't understand you people. Game is awful why give it the time of day?

    Plus I know people of all ages and backgrounds who think rocket league is awesome. People who hate sports, people who love them and everyone in between
  • They have a hockey puck and a basketball and even a cube you can play with... Seems like a fairly childish response to say, "I have no interest in other sports." then you continue to frustrate yourself with a game you aren't happy with just because it's the only one in town.

    That's akin to going to the super market for food everyday but getting food poisoning and you complain about it but you keep going back despite the food poisoning everyday...

    I just don't understand you people. Game is awful why give it the time of day?

    Plus I know people of all ages and backgrounds who think rocket league is awesome. People who hate sports, people who love them and everyone in between

    We get it, you want people to stop buying the game, now stop derailing the thread.

  • Boy I hated pre TPS skating so much

  • @The_B_0_G I do get it. It's you lot that don't seem to get it. It's not working how you all want it to. So you complain it's broken. That's not going to make it suddenly work how you want.

    You have two options. Either adapt to how it currently works or stop buying and playing a subpar game. It's very simple and why I stopped. EA is a subpar at best publisher and I haven't bought anything from them in years and since I stopped I've been much less frustrated with video games and in general.

    Wrong.

    It's not that it doesn't work like we want to, it's that it doesn't work in a logical and predictable fashion. It's 10 times worse when you don't control a puck.

    Playing sound positional hockey, moving the puck around, taking shots from good areas and just playing hockey is what should be on your mind when playing this game. Not fighting your controller to do a 270 degree turn when your controller asks your player to do a 90 degree turn to pick up a puck.

    As it is, TPS is comparable to COD if they suddenly decided to add muscle spasms to aiming when you sprint too long.

    Anyways, you are basing all your judgment on a game that is over 6 years old. Stop derailing. In case you haven't noticed, not a single person here has agreed with you. That in itself should be a decent hint for you.
  • Actually the sensible people in here have agreed with me.

    When I play rocket league my mind is on how to hit the ball either into the net or to a teammate. Part of doing that is positioning myself in such a way that I can either go and get it and hit it where I want or have it come to me to make a play. All of that coupled with paying attention to the other players and what they are planning to do with the same ball.

    Sometimes it's the littlest most difficult movements that make or break a play in that game and as it's also a game happens in NHL as well. Also I am commenting in generalities about the series and not on one specific version. You guys would rather ignore what I have to say because you disagree with it rather than express your opinion on why you disagree with mine. Instead saying my opinion is invalid and repeating the same things over and over about how tps is broken and not intuitive.
  • Actually the sensible people in here have agreed with me.

    When I play rocket league my mind is on how to hit the ball either into the net or to a teammate. Part of doing that is positioning myself in such a way that I can either go and get it and hit it where I want or have it come to me to make a play. All of that coupled with paying attention to the other players and what they are planning to do with the same ball.

    Sometimes it's the littlest most difficult movements that make or break a play in that game and as it's also a game happens in NHL as well. Also I am commenting in generalities about the series and not on one specific version. You guys would rather ignore what I have to say because you disagree with it rather than express your opinion on why you disagree with mine. Instead saying my opinion is invalid and repeating the same things over and over about how tps is broken and not intuitive.

    I get what you mean. But you come here and say "this is how it works now because this is my experience from 6 years ago."

    The game has change since then. The tuning is different. The frustrations are different. You comment on generalities without a specific version while players and customers are commenting on specifics with a specific version, which happens to be the current one. See why you are having a falling out with other users?

    I am by no means saying your opinion is worthless. i am just saying that it is dated and mostly theoretical based on older versions from older consoles. Go to a friend who has the game and see from yourself what people are talking about.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!