EA Forums - Banner

Why I am not buying NHL 18 from EA

Online functionality!
I am pretty confident this is the main reason behind most problems.
For example puck pickups which is one of my main frustration points.
I used to think this was one of the worst gamedesigns ever, which could have been easily solved by raising the radius and lowering the time the puck need to be inside that radius, for the puck pickup to trigger. I can't find a single balancing problem you might encounter, that could be the reason why this haven't been done.
There is no way this is done by choice, other than the choice of not spending money on servers and time to investigate the problem, it has been one of the main complaints for years.
As far as I can see, this must be latency related.
I think same thing could be said for a lot of other problems.
Some games passing is flawless, while in other games you just can't seem to make three passes in a row.
Same with one timers finding the back of the net vs. whiffed attempts and missed nets.
A.I. behavior, success rate with pokes, sticklifts and bodychecks, interceptions for and against you, saves made by goalie …
The list goes on and on and can be summed up in one word; Inconsistency.
Now, if I am wrong, I just made a list over the design choices that are keeping my money out of EAs pockets.
EA Greed!
I see some people hoping that salesnumbers will rise, generating more devs and focus on making this game as good as can be. I think that is a very naive take on things.
What happened when EA found their cashcow HUT?
Did the extra revenue go into developing the game faster? Did we see a ton of new modes? Did gameplay get much better? Or did it follow its utterly slow pace, leaving us with a patch-feeling rather than a new game, every year?
How about when they took a year off to rebuild the game. Did they leave the studio intact to spend two years on this or did they move devs to another title, resulting in a lacking game?
(Source: https://thehockeywriters.com/the-rise-fall-and-rebound-of-ea-sports-nhl/ )
I am sure the studio is doing whatever it can, within the limits given by EA corporate and every time I see the words lazy or incompetent I just shake my head in disbelief.
So I am doing the only sane thing I can do.
Stop buying the game and then come here and tell why I am not buying it.
I think there's a lot of us that would buy your game on release every year, if you just put some more resources into developing base game and streamlining online experience.
As it is now, I am left with no other option than waiting for a used copy to cross my path.

Replies

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2509 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    SpillGal wrote: »

Did the extra revenue go into developing the game faster? Did we see a ton of new modes? Did gameplay get much better?

NHL 13 featured GM Connected which is arguably most requested mode to come back.

NHL 14 featured Live the Life mode which was the best iteration of BaP that ever existed.

NHL 14 added online seasons to HUT and EASHL.

NHL 17 added the most depth to EASHL the series has ever seen.

NHL 17-18 added the most depth BaGM has ever seen.

Most on this forum will argue NHL 14 was the best NHL ever created. Two years after HUT was created.

This is my personal preference but gameplay is the best offline. It doesn't translate well online though which is where most problems lie.

knowing.jpg
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on
  • "NHL 17 added the most depth to EASHL the series has ever seem"

refflair.0.0.gif
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2509 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    "NHL 17 added the most depth to EASHL the series has ever seem"

refflair.0.0.gif

Team creator, arena creator, and all the unlocks werent a major addition?
  • "NHL 17 added the most depth to EASHL the series has ever seem"

refflair.0.0.gif

Team creator, arena creator, and all the unlocks werent a major addition?

To some, I suppose.

To many of us, taking away the old system and replacing it with fluff wasn't really seen as a "major addition."

Did it require cycles from a development team, I guess so.
  • I remember when EASHL actually had people playing it. That was nice.

I have to join LG and play with those community members to really get any games going.

Try doing a drop in solo. Takes 30 minutes to find a game. Try playing club. Well if it isn't during peak hours, good luck finding more than a game of 2's. Even during peak hours, club is pretty dead.

Maybe if they brought back multiple dressing rooms, being able to play on more than one club, etc, there might be life in it still.

But right now, if it weren't for LG or leagues alike it, EASHL would be close to dead.

Hell, I got NHL 2 weeks after the release, hoping that there'd be more people playing due to new release and a new game. Well, it was easier to find a game on NHL 17 at the end of its cycle, which is nonsense. Come end of the year, I really fear trying to find a game online.
  • SpillGal wrote: »

Did the extra revenue go into developing the game faster? Did we see a ton of new modes? Did gameplay get much better?

NHL 13 featured GM Connected which is arguably most requested mode to come back.

NHL 14 featured Live the Life mode which was the best iteration of BaP that ever existed.

Most on this forum will argue NHL 14 was the best NHL ever created. Two years after HUT was created.

This is my personal preference but gameplay is the best offline. It doesn't translate well online though which is where most problems lie.

knowing.jpg

Bolded part, dunno about that mate! It was nice on paper and in theory but execution was horrible. Questions being repetitive (You were turnover machine, You were this, you were that...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over)
    Questions not lining up with what actually happened in the game. Lost to Montreal 2-0 in REGULATION but Media Question about tough it is to lose in OT.
    Being demoted despite choosing answer A over answer B. Parents in town visiting , Boys got Hotel room want you to come party! Do you spent time with Family (A), Go hang with Boys (B), Stay home alone (C) or Go out alone (D). I choose A (had to build up Family rating). Next day get called into Coaches office and Demoted to 3rd line. Apparently Boys destroyed Hotel room and the Organization DOESN'T stand for that kind of behavior and expect better from me
  • I thought some of those Q and As were hilarious ... but at least it added to a mode that's been stale for many, many years.
  • I agree with both you @joefitz22 and @Taste-D-Rainbow

It was good to an extent. I liked the idea that management, teammates, family, and fans all had their own rating that you needed to balance, although after 1 and a half seasons you had all maxed out assuming you did all the right things.

I think management would affect your standing relative to your teammates, teammate grade was supposed to affect team chemistry in relation to you (i have never been ignored for a call for pass however) , family gave you a boost or penalty to your overall if you werent a family man, and lastly fans were supposed to affect how fans reacted to you in game. If you had a negative grade with the fans, they would boo you when you touched the puck...allegedly...though I never experimented to see what would happen.

There was a hint of RNG so that you wouldnt always get the "perfect" answer to everything, which is realistic in its own way.

However there were not enough questions in total (i remember the exact amount was about 70?) Leading to the repetitiveness.

Strangely enough, LTL fixed some long standing issues with BAP, the most obvious being the trade logic finally allowing you to not have to worry about "proving yourself" to ask for a trade successfully. In addition, you also had a legitimate system in place to judge how you were doing in management's eyes.

Unfortunately, it created an experience ruining bug. Stanley Cup Playoffs, playing as the goalie, you would be asked about how you feel before dressing for the game. Sometimes this would cause the game to simulate over games in the playoffs you were supposed to play. One such instance prevented me from playing game 7 of the Finals, forcing me to redo and win Game 6 so the season doesnt come down to a simulation.

Great idea overall, but too many "maybe" moments where you didnt know whether stuff was just a placebo affect.
  • I agree with both you @joefitz22 and @Taste-D-Rainbow

It was good to an extent. I liked the idea that management, teammates, family, and fans all had their own rating that you needed to balance, although after 1 and a half seasons you had all maxed out assuming you did all the right things.

I think management would affect your standing relative to your teammates, teammate grade was supposed to affect team chemistry in relation to you (i have never been ignored for a call for pass however) , family gave you a boost or penalty to your overall if you werent a family man, and lastly fans were supposed to affect how fans reacted to you in game. If you had a negative grade with the fans, they would boo you when you touched the puck...allegedly...though I never experimented to see what would happen.

There was a hint of RNG so that you wouldnt always get the "perfect" answer to everything, which is realistic in its own way.

However there were not enough questions in total (i remember the exact amount was about 70?) Leading to the repetitiveness.

Strangely enough, LTL fixed some long standing issues with BAP, the most obvious being the trade logic finally allowing you to not have to worry about "proving yourself" to ask for a trade successfully. In addition, you also had a legitimate system in place to judge how you were doing in management's eyes.

Unfortunately, it created an experience ruining bug. Stanley Cup Playoffs, playing as the goalie, you would be asked about how you feel before dressing for the game. Sometimes this would cause the game to simulate over games in the playoffs you were supposed to play. One such instance prevented me from playing game 7 of the Finals, forcing me to redo and win Game 6 so the season doesnt come down to a simulation.

Great idea overall, but too many "maybe" moments where you didnt know whether stuff was just a placebo affect.

Good points. I'd also add the AI GM logic behind certain roster moves or trades! Again, I made the team out of pre season (0g 0a 6pims). Evgeni Malkin wasn't on the Opening night Roster. Injured? Nope, Wasn't injured! Traded? Nope Wasn't traded. He was sent down to WBS, not only was he sent down to WBS but he was the #2 Center behind Joe Vitale........what the F kind of logic is that

knowing.jpg

NHL 14 was atrocious. No defense, no puck interceptions, poke check was broken, bouncey ball dump-ins... That game was terrible. I've seen way more people argue for 15 than 14...

knowing.jpg

NHL 14 was atrocious. No defense, no puck interceptions, poke check was broken, bouncey ball dump-ins... That game was terrible. I've seen way more people argue for 15 than 14...

I guess we all have our personal preferences on which year was the best one. If you're into deking I would guess your personal favorite would be found somewhere around 12 - 14, if I remember correctly.
    You really enjoy delivering crushing hits - I'd guess you love 2005 or was it 07?
    Of course, we have seen some new modes over the years, they even developed HUT without the extra cash that brought to the table.
    Point is that when they find some extra cash, that doesn't reflect in how much they put into development.
    It's ending up in investors pockets, and it even seems like this encourages them to take away from the dev team, since title obviously are doing great.
    2015 sold 1,86 mill copies, which was a new record, did we see this in 16 or say 17?

I don't like the decision to make threes with customizable mascots, I just want normal hockey. I am not happy with the amount of errors left in the game from year to year. I think the pace of development is too slow and that online functionality is severely lacking.

That's why I am not buying this years title, and I think it is crucial to let EA know why not. They don't need customer surveys if we tell them what we like and don't like.
    I take it you find these things to be acceptable, and thus are continuing to buy the game.
    That's perfectly fine, and the beautiful thing about open forums; we can all state our opinion here.
    SpillGal wrote: »

knowing.jpg

I guess we all have our personal preferences on which year was the best one. If you're into deking I would guess your personal favorite would be found somewhere around 12 - 14, if I remember correctly.
    You really enjoy delivering crushing hits - I'd guess you love 2005 or was it 07?
    Of course, we have seen some new modes over the years, they even developed HUT without the extra cash that brought to the table.
    Point is that when they find some extra cash, that doesn't reflect in how much they put into development.
    It's ending up in investors pockets, and it even seems like this encourages them to take away from the dev team, since title obviously are doing great.
    2015 sold 1,86 mill copies, which was a new record, did we see this in 16 or say 17?

I don't like the decision to make threes with customizable mascots, I just want normal hockey. I am not happy with the amount of errors left in the game from year to year. I think the pace of development is too slow and that online functionality is severely lacking.

That's why I am not buying this years title, and I think it is crucial to let EA know why not. They don't need customer surveys if we tell them what we like and don't like.
    I take it you find these things to be acceptable, and thus are continuing to buy the game.
    That's perfectly fine, and the beautiful thing about open forums; we can all state our opinion here.

I agree we need to all boycott NHL 19 to send this LAZY development team a lesson...they all need to be fired..