EA Forums - Banner

Please please help!

I got into nhl 17 about halfway through last year, not great but I learned and learned and became not too terrible at the game.
Bought nhl 18 and it’s like a completely different game. Every online game I play is the same.
I’m constantly under pressure protecting my own net, can’t keep a hold of the puck when I have it. My wingers are skating through mud, can’t get past D-men, can’t implement effective breakaways.
I’m close to just trading in for Fifa as I’m in the uk

Replies

• habs92
    138 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Unfortunately, you can’t do anything. It looks like you have lag or fat man lag problems whatever you want to call it or you’re just bad and you need to practice and find the best strategies that fits your play style, simple as that, but that’s probably lag problems the way you describe it, skating through mud means that you have connection problems.

Btw, you’re not supposed to get breakaways after breakaways anyway.
  • scanyman82
    49 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    My connections fine (70mbps) it just feels like I can’t get past the defence with wingers. I’m definitely bad I know that much lol.
    I don’t really understand the strategies. Ice hockey’s not the done thing in Glasgow lol

I shall persevere, the game looks and plays a million times better than the fifa games
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    scanyman82 wrote: »
    My connections fine (70mbps) it just feels like I can’t get past the defence with wingers. I’m definitely bad I know that much lol.
    I don’t really understand the strategies. Ice hockey’s not the done thing in Glasgow lol

I shall persevere, the game looks and plays a million times better than the fifa games

Pass, pass, pass. If you want to create space and get past defense, pass the puck. Drop it back in the neutral zone and then across to a far side winger. Odds are good there's a lot of space there that will let you gain your zone. Dump and chase, ring the puck around the boards. Just don't skate in to traffic while carrying the puck.
  • Finch1965
    256 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    From my kind of view passing is more important than all the years before and the game is slower in general. Over the last week I made good experinces with the activation of the TN and S synergies. With that combination my players went recognizeable faster.

Even offline games are more difficult this year. Superstar is like hell and even Pro is somethimes very challinging.

So I need to adjust my game as well (even I play this game since the early ninetees) with a stronger focus on passing. Still working on it but getting better with every game.
  • much improved just by moving the puck around and being more patient.
    Even picked up a couple w’s.
    I’ll stick at it, EA aren’t getting my money for Fifa this year
  • habs92
    138 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    scanyman82 wrote: »

Im not talking about your connection like you are the problem, i’m talking about the fact that no matter how good your connection is you still get slow games where nothing works and the game after you are superfast and everything works, that is not supposed to happen.

• WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I check my connection prior to every game; sometimes my NAT is set as Strict and I won't play unless I fix it first. And yet, the game is still a mess.

That being said, the only goals I seem to allow are short-side wristers, ugly goals where the goalie acts like a blind id10t, or cross-creasers because I wasn't allowed to switch to the guy in front of the net fast enough.

Also, do the developers actually play this game on Superstar mode and still consider it fair and realistic?