EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

**** is wrong with puck retrieval?

Why do my players constantly skate around and over the puck but they never pick it up? Makes no sense and my cpu teammates dont even acknowledge the puck when its near them

Replies

• Happens after you deliver a big check as well. Your player can't pick up the puck. I lost a game because of this. Hopefully EA addresses this in the next patch. It happens far too frequently.
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    Happens after you deliver a big check as well. Your player can't pick up the puck. I lost a game because of this. Hopefully EA addresses this in the next patch. It happens far too frequently.

Adapt. Don't hit. Jk.
  • I said to myself that I wouldnt get this game this year until I was guilt tripped.
    picked it up the other day, kind of enjoy the challenges...
    but puck retrieval was probably one of the first things i noticed that was an issue. if you poke the puck of an oppositions stick in the opposite direction your skating, any of your teammates in the area skate away... and then im like uuhhh?
  • Lowernu82 wrote: »
    I said to myself that I wouldnt get this game this year until I was guilt tripped.
    picked it up the other day, kind of enjoy the challenges...
    but puck retrieval was probably one of the first things i noticed that was an issue. if you poke the puck of an oppositions stick in the opposite direction your skating, any of your teammates in the area skate away... and then im like uuhhh?

Yeah it's as if CPU teammates don't want the puck. They hover or even skate away. I want mad dog teammate AI going after every loose puck.
    Happens after you deliver a big check as well. Your player can't pick up the puck. I lost a game because of this. Hopefully EA addresses this in the next patch. It happens far too frequently.

It's seriously infuriating. You absolutely destroy somebody and the player can't even get the puck. Not only that, but the player you destroyed is always the player who retrieves it (before ANY OTHER PLAYERS.)

Adapt. Don't hit. Jk.

Yup, spam poke check like all of the other "top players" LOL
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1262 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Player getting hit, falling down and instantly getting up picking the puck has been in the game for a couple of years now, so either they think it's good as is, or they're unable to fix it. Either way, it's fricken stupid. You try getting up on real ice, it's not very fast is it?

So often there are situations where your player just can't pick up the puck, or the puck just glides past you and you ignore it. This happens when someone passes the puck along the boards, and it just trickles between your stick and leg, or when the puck is near you, your guy does this weak reach for it, and only manages to push it away further. In those games, you know you're screwed.

---

I'd also like to comment on the flipside of the coin, namely getting possession of the puck without doing anything. What I like to think as gravitational pull... it seems in certain situations the player with best pull (most often AI player), just seems to assume the posession of the puck from the opponent, with no apparent active action like poke, stick-lift.

The player just comes close to you, and suddenly the puck is lost. Similar to what happens if you skate with puck too close to the goal, the goalie 'vacuums' the puck to it, sometimes resulting in an own goal.

You can try to take advantage of this by setting your self close to the puck-carrier, and apparently if you puck control is better, you can get the puck in this way. It might even be more effective in comparison to poke, if done right? Most people are in too much of hurry to try something like this though.

I am not in favor with this feature though, I think getting the puck should always be a result of you actively doing something, if the opponent is in full posession of the puck. For sure this is a complex matter, and no wonder EA can't get it right, at least from our point of view. Maybe they're completely happy with the way things are?

But it's funny this gravitational pull doesn't seem to apply when the puck is loose, only when the puck is in possession of a player?

Post edited by Sgt_Kelso on
  • rollind24
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I haven't played a hockey video game since 07/08 I believe. I bought 2018 and frankly not being able to pick up the puck before the player down after a check is driving me nuts. Stop punishing a well placed hit while rewarding these non-stop poke checks.

I've given the game about 3 weeks and this is just beyond infuriating. It makes NO sense hockey wise.
  • Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »
    I haven't played a hockey video game since 07/08 I believe. I bought 2018...

Oh man, that’s a shame.

I returned to NHL in 16, liked it a lot and loved 17. Frankly in 18 I haven’t had fun at all. Even a win feels frustrating.

I echo everything in this thread, my AI players seem to actively avoid the puck.
  • I never thought I’d say this but I really miss NHL 17...