EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Eashl 3's super human ai

Ok guys. Is there is kinda strategy setup or trick to getting the AI who is competent?

I mean it's getting ridiculous the way my AI dman plays in 3s. I set everything to drop back and trap. Yet I'm the offensive zone he's constantly going to the net and getting caught

When on defense he just skates back holding the defensive skill stick out which just slows em down.

Other ppl AI is standing us up on blue line. They're doing that "shoot once but get your own rebound" goal that they do.

There's gotta be something to it.

Replies

• Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    guacapoli wrote: »
    Ok guys. Is there is kinda strategy setup or trick to getting the AI who is competent?

I mean it's getting ridiculous the way my AI dman plays in 3s. I set everything to drop back and trap. Yet I'm the offensive zone he's constantly going to the net and getting caught

When on defense he just skates back holding the defensive skill stick out which just slows em down.

Other ppl AI is standing us up on blue line. They're doing that "shoot once but get your own rebound" goal that they do.

There's gotta be something to it.

:astonished:
  • I've noticed in Eashl 3s you need one guy playing defense, AI constantly plays forward and gives up breakaways.
  • The AI is also highly dependant on how the humans are playing their positions. The AI will play much better if the 2 humans are following some semblance of an actual position based system and not just running around everywhere.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    The AI is also highly dependant on how the humans are playing their positions.

This. This. This. This.

The AI is more adaptive than people think when it comes to human positioning. Almost to a fault.

I sometimes wish the AI tendency to cover for a human defenceman would be tuned down a lot. Especially if it's a CPU defensive partner to me. Any slight journey away from my Defensive position turns in to the CPU taking over - almost obnoxiously.

I'd like to see the CPU give humans more 'time' out of position before they rush to cover.
  • The best strategy is to not play with AI. But that's not always possible. So.....

I'd love to know what's going on with the AI d-man in 3's too. Regardless of what we set the strategies to our AI d-man is reliable for three things:

1. Charging the net in the offensive zone leaving the point abandoned.
    2. Backing up defending the rush doing nothing but screening our goalie. ( This is especially infuriating defending a 2v2 rush when the puck carrier is on the AI's side. I can either abandon the player I'm covering and give them an easy one-timer or I can stick with my guy and watch the AI give the puck carrier all day to pick his spot )
    3. Abandoning the front of the net in the defensive zone.

Meanwhile other teams d-man stays high in the offensive zone, is a heat-seeking missile in the neutral zone and defends the net reliably in the defensive zone.

I'm sure this isn't random and that there is some strategies that allow the AI to function somewhat competently but I haven't been able to figure it out.

The only thing that somewhat works is what @The_B_0_G said. Run a human forward and defenseman. The AI forward will play much more reliably than the AI defenseman. Especially in his own end.

Also @Santini3 and @KidShowtime1867 are correct. The AI will "cover" for you if you're not in the exact position it thinks you should be in. It's not very good at this and the feature causes more problems than it fixes. I'm of the opinion that the AI should play its position and not try to get too "smart". If I decide I need to deviate from the set strategies and my team gets burned that's on me and I'll accept it. But I hate being sabotaged by the AI.

In 3's it's even worse due to there being more movement in the zone and more loose pucks to chase down. The AI will constantly abandon its defensive responsibilities to go chasing the puck even though a human player is closer leaving a single player to cover two offensive players.

• The whole "
    Santini3 wrote: »
    The AI is also highly dependant on how the humans are playing their positions. The AI will play much better if the 2 humans are following some semblance of an actual position based system and not just running around everywhere.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. I literally have videos that show the AI player skating AWAY from the puck instead of keeping it in. The AI player rushing to the net even though our center is already there for a shot. The AI player leave the front of our net COMPLETELY wide open at random times, he moves away toward NO ONE.

There has to be something, maybe its connection and server base IDK, but there is something that makes some teams AI play phenomenal. I've yet to have that AI man on my team. Haven't had one that would literally stand me up on the blue line every time, use the poke check and stick wave, actually just power his way to the net time and time again. I've had 4 or 5 goals scored in one game by the AI because they are UNSTOPPABLE. Can't poke them, hit them, lift stick, nothing.

And the best is when you're finally pressuring the AI d-man in his own zone, you can strip it and poke it 5+times but he'll retain it almost every single time and throw a rocket 100 mph pass to the stupid forwards sitting at the opposite blue-line for a breakaway or odd man rush.

That brings me to my next problem....the opposing team can literally sit on the offensive blue line and call for passes all day long, if I even think about leaving the zone, my AI player will just skate directly in a player, lose the puck, make a pass to no one, or commit a penalty.

We are literally dumbfounded at how the AI player actually plays sometimes. It makes little to no sense.

If someone could tell me how to embed youtube videos I could show you exactly what I'm talking about.
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    If someone could tell me how to embed youtube videos I could show you exactly what I'm talking about.

Just type in the YT url in the body of your forum post. The api takes care of the rest. If you want to make sure it doesn't screw up, make sure you use the NON-secure url; HTTP and not HTTPS.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    guacapoli wrote: »

Just type in the YT url in the body of your forum post. The api takes care of the rest. If you want to make sure it doesn't screw up, make sure you use the NON-secure url; HTTP and not HTTPS.

Thank you I will try it once I'm home.