EA Forums - Banner

Someone teach me

Prev134
I’m awful. I can’t defend, guys just spin around in circles until they get a shot or a cross crease one timer. I can’t set up in the zone. I’ve just lost 9 in a row.

Can someone legitimately teach me how you people play this game? It’s not hockey, I get that. I want to learn how you guys play. This stupid game is beyond frustrating, I might as well play t like everyone else.

Replies

• The best players in gaming period are those who know how to exploit the game to their advantage. It's true for all games. It's not about hockey sense, or hockey knowledge, it's learning how to exploit. This can be done through figuring out tendencies, glitches or downright cheating. Unfortunately skill has very little to do with being the best or good.
  • Counter strike and rocket league are two prime examples of truly competitive games where the skill of the player is what determines who wins and who loses.

It's definitely not all games but you could say it is all aaa games, definitely all ea games. You just can't have a competitive game with ai and rng.
  • I can not tell you how to play, cause I'm very much in the same boat as you. This year I can go several matches without even getting a goal.
    But what I have done is grind out matches where I lost 8-0, 9-0 just to try and figure out what the other guy is doing, that is making him so unbeatable.

I do think connection quality matters and for HUT, maybe stacked teams. (lame excuse, eh?)
    When you're rarely first on a loose puck, and if you are, your player will turn wrong way right into pressure.
    D catches you if you are lucky enough to find a breakaway, if you get all the way up to the goalie, he will stop your forehand, backhand forehand or whatever you choose, and puck ends up on opponents stick while you are belly gliding behind the goal.
    Opponents AI are in good positions all the time, so setting up plays seems to be very smooth for him.
    Your teammates are lurking in the shadows, if you happen to find an open guy, he will instantly get smacked down or poke-robbed of the puck before you can control him.
    Some of these games I hardly get shots on the net, depending on how bad it is. But if you do, you can set up cross crease after cross crease and get nothing but missed nets and spider fookin superman saves.
    Then opponent goes on and puts in something like this:

I think there is very little to do when this is happening. I have started to just quit the game and try to find a better match. Opponent will get his win anyway.

Other than that, the guys that are hardest to play against are the ones that master the glide, protect puck, twitching and turning, small dekes and hardly ever pass.
    They will just stand still or glide at very low speed all over the ice. If you try to bodycheck them, which I think they hope for, they will just turn around so your bodychecks sort of just glides of them, leaving you out of position and them with an open highway against the net.
    Pokecheck is not possible, as they are very good at protecting the puck.
    They'll glide, deke, glide, deke maybe pass and then shoot.
    So I would say that is the offense you will have to practice. I have tried it a bit, but I find it too slow and boring.

• watch twitch....
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Pay more attention to your angles and forecheck more(careful not to get tripping penalties). Make it harder for guy to get towards the net. Force guys to the boards. Also, watch going for big checks, less likely to put a player out of position.
  • cbxero wrote: »
    I’m awful. I can’t defend, guys just spin around in circles until they get a shot or a cross crease one timer. I can’t set up in the zone. I’ve just lost 9 in a row.

Can someone legitimately teach me how you people play this game? It’s not hockey, I get that. I want to learn how you guys play. This stupid game is beyond frustrating, I might as well play t like everyone else.

Sounds like you need to change your strategies.in your case i say set your def to aggressive as well as normal.this way when the guy passes one of your guys will be right on him to knock the puck loose.the downfall can be a couple quick passes and youll have a guy alone in front of your net with the puck.once you learn the strategies youll master def.also,dont take your man out of position.if you control the left def just hold the vc button and keep him in position.dont be aftaid to clear the puck either.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    I can not tell you how to play, cause I'm very much in the same boat as you. This year I can go several matches without even getting a goal.
    But what I have done is grind out matches where I lost 8-0, 9-0 just to try and figure out what the other guy is doing, that is making him so unbeatable.

I do think connection quality matters and for HUT, maybe stacked teams. (lame excuse, eh?)
    When you're rarely first on a loose puck, and if you are, your player will turn wrong way right into pressure.
    D catches you if you are lucky enough to find a breakaway, if you get all the way up to the goalie, he will stop your forehand, backhand forehand or whatever you choose, and puck ends up on opponents stick while you are belly gliding behind the goal.
    Opponents AI are in good positions all the time, so setting up plays seems to be very smooth for him.
    Your teammates are lurking in the shadows, if you happen to find an open guy, he will instantly get smacked down or poke-robbed of the puck before you can control him.
    Some of these games I hardly get shots on the net, depending on how bad it is. But if you do, you can set up cross crease after cross crease and get nothing but missed nets and spider fookin superman saves.

I think there is very little to do when this is happening. I have started to just quit the game and try to find a better match. Opponent will get his win anyway.

Other than that, the guys that are hardest to play against are the ones that master the glide, protect puck, twitching and turning, small dekes and hardly ever pass.
    They will just stand still or glide at very low speed all over the ice. If you try to bodycheck them, which I think they hope for, they will just turn around so your bodychecks sort of just glides of them, leaving you out of position and them with an open highway against the net.
    So I would say that is the offense you will have to practice. I have tried it a bit, but I find it too slow and boring.

That's a weak goal, but it could have been stopped had they switched players.
  • Thats right Sinbin, but I think I was more concerned about covering the cross crease pass, than stopping a shot from out there.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

You are absolutely incredible. There is nothing about this game that you won't defend.

That is just an egregiously bad bit of coding, and you excuse it by saying the defense could have stopped it. That was an incredibly weak shot that an NHL goalie would stop literally 999 out of 1000 times. Unless you think that defense can stop all shots from being taken, which they can't, the game has to be coded so the goalie makes a routine save there (and also doesn't kick it out into the slot for a cheap rebound).
  • I love Rocket League because I know when I make a mistake, it was my mistake. In NHL I just can’t seem to stop the twitch deke, the guys who just hold the puck away and turn invincible, the guys who circle around until they can cross-crease...

I just can’t figure it out. I just watched a video on how to score goals, so I’ll try some of that later.
  • Also, thanks for the tip on strategies. I found a video on that too so I’m gonna watch that later.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

You are absolutely incredible. There is nothing about this game that you won't defend.

That is just an egregiously bad bit of coding, and you excuse it by saying the defense could have stopped it. That was an incredibly weak shot that an NHL goalie would stop literally 999 out of 1000 times. Unless you think that defense can stop all shots from being taken, which they can't, the game has to be coded so the goalie makes a routine save there (and also doesn't kick it out into the slot for a cheap rebound).

I agree the goal is weak. I said that, but he had 2 players he could have switched to and gotten a good poke off before they even shot. That's all I'm saying. He didn't even attempt to switch players. He stuck with his center. If you want to let the AI play for you, that's your choice, but switching players would have given a much better chance at stopping this.

I won't defend everything, but I will defend this game when I see someone making wildly incorrect assumptions and claims about game development and networking when they have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    cbxero wrote: »
    I love Rocket League because I know when I make a mistake, it was my mistake. In NHL I just can’t seem to stop the twitch deke, the guys who just hold the puck away and turn invincible, the guys who circle around until they can cross-crease...

I just can’t figure it out. I just watched a video on how to score goals, so I’ll try some of that later.

RL is an entirely different game. You don't have near the same control of your car that you do a player in NHL. They aren't invincible when they hold the puck out of reach. Switch to another player and pressure them more. I hate that style of play and wish the game wouldn't reward it so much, but they can be defended. It's a pain though for sure.
    I love Rocket League because I know when I make a mistake, it was my mistake. In NHL I just can’t seem to stop the twitch deke, the guys who just hold the puck away and turn invincible, the guys who circle around until they can cross-crease...

RL is an entirely different game. You don't have near the same control of your car that you do a player in NHL. They aren't invincible when they hold the puck out of reach. Switch to another player and pressure them more. I hate that style of play and wish the game wouldn't reward it so much, but they can be defended. It's a pain though for sure.

What? You have way more control over your car in rocket league than you ever have in nhl. You can control speed, pitch, yaw, roll and dodge in any direction you please. There's no limitation due to limited animations. You press the inputs and get a result. There's nothing to say, oh rng is why I missed that shot. Nope it's all you and that's why it's better.

It let's you be in control of your fate.
    I agree the goal is weak. I said that, but he had 2 players he could have switched to and gotten a good poke off before they even shot. That's all I'm saying. He didn't even attempt to switch players. He stuck with his center. If you want to let the AI play for you, that's your choice, but switching players would have given a much better chance at stopping this.

No matter how good your defense is, your opponent is going to get shots on net. What you want is for them to take weak shots from distance and from bad angles -- exactly like the one in the clip. There's nothing wrong with giving up that shot. But for the game to work and to be fair, NHL goalies have to stop shots like that essentially all of the time, just as they do IRL. In this game, they don't - they give up way too many soft goals from distance, just like in that clip. That's the core problem here -- not OP's defense.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

What? You have way more control over your car in rocket league than you ever have in nhl. You can control speed, pitch, yaw, roll and dodge in any direction you please. There's no limitation due to limited animations. You press the inputs and get a result. There's nothing to say, oh rng is why I missed that shot. Nope it's all you and that's why it's better.

It let's you be in control of your fate.

You're still limited in how you can control your car. You're also playing with a gigantic ball and there are no sticks to consider. That and it's a fictional sport so you can do whatever you want. NHL doesn't have as much RNG as everyone assumes there is. It's like you guys think the result of every action is due to RNG and skill has no bearing. That's not true at all. There are of course elements you can't control. The puck takes more, unpredictable bounces due to the different objects it reacts to. There are skates, sticks, arms, legs, goal posts, etc. That's physics, not RNG. I just think comparing the 2 games is a poor example when they have very different mechanics.
  • It's not a fictional sport, it's a very real esport.

Also the physics modeling in RL is way better than nhl sure the ball, puck, cube, whatever is bigger. It never goes through solid objects. If you hit it, it reacts to that impact. The only way it doesn't is latency where you see yourself hit the ball but the server doesn't.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    It's not a fictional sport, it's a very real esport.

Also the physics modeling in RL is way better than nhl sure the ball, puck, cube, whatever is bigger. It never goes through solid objects. If you hit it, it reacts to that impact. The only way it doesn't is latency where you see yourself hit the ball but the server doesn't.

They are entirely different mechanics though. The puck needs to react to padding on players for example. It also needs to reach according to where on the puck contact is made. A ball doesn't have the edges a puck has. It's not nearly as complex and the are not nearly as many objects for the ball to react to. RL is a fantastic game. It's crazy fun. I'm just saying that it's mechanics don't really apply to NHL. They're wildly different games other than putting an object in a net.
  • It's not a fictional sport, it's a very real esport.

While I agree with your sentiment, I HAVE to respond to the bolded: way to misconstrue his point. You knew what he meant. Playing soccer with rocket cars is not a sport in real life. It is a concept entirely created for a video game.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    I can not tell you how to play, cause I'm very much in the same boat as you. This year I can go several matches without even getting a goal.

What I bolded is by far the hardest and cheesiest thing to defend against.