EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - Deep dive

Follow Gurn Sumal, game modes producer for NHL 20 on his deep dive, check it out & discuss it here.

Why are there still EASHL wigglers

Prev13
Last gen, EASHL skaters could slip and fall down if they made too many cuts, and would lose control of the puck if they made too many rapid left-right dekes. Now that those mechanics are gone, the ‘best’ (hahaha) players just relentlessly whip the puck around their body, penalty-free. Hence the super condescending term, “wigglers.”

An insult to the idea of simulation hockey. Anybody else also think this should someday soon be addressed?

Replies

• To answer the question in the thread title, it’s simply because we have the same skating engine (TPS) we’ve had since next gen started.

The best way to use it is go very slow, only skate forward when you absolutely have to, glide everywhere you go, and twitch the stick while you curl around waiting for something to open up. This is called “realistic” by some.

But the reality is, all the good players do it. I abuse it to the fullest. It’s simply the most effective method in the alternate universe known as EA NHL.
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    To answer the question in the thread title, it’s simply because we have the same skating engine (TPS) we’ve had since next gen started.

The best way to use it is go very slow, only skate forward when you absolutely have to, glide everywhere you go, and twitch the stick while you curl around waiting for something to open up. This is called “realistic” by some.

But the reality is, all the good players do it. I abuse it to the fullest. It’s simply the most effective method in the alternate universe known as EA NHL.

Golly gee Batman! That sounds fun!!!
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    To answer the question in the thread title, it’s simply because we have the same skating engine (TPS) we’ve had since next gen started.

No. It’s literally the exact polar opposite of fun. But it’s just the way it is.

Know what else isn’t fun? Losing. So you do what you gotta do with the game you are given.
    Post edited by CrushNHL on

No. It’s literally the exact polar opposite of fun. But it’s just the way it is.

Know what else isn’t fun? Losing. So you do what you gotta do with the game you are given.

I agree that losing is no fun but sorry I don't don't have that WIN AT ALL COST attitude that the kiddies have, I refuse to act/play the game like a immature child in order to win a simple video game

I appreciate your honesty, hehe. Thanks for the insightful information, despite Captain Clownshoe trying to troll you up there.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »

I agree that losing is no fun but sorry I don't don't have that WIN AT ALL COST attitude that the kiddies have, I refuse to act/play the game like a immature child in order to win a simple video game

I’m the same way. I just love hockey so much. I’d rather win and lose for actual hockey reasons than always win by abandoning realism.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »

Pretty sure people aren’t “kiddies” because they want to win a game in which the object is to.... win. Lol.

But don’t be so aggressive, no one said you aren’t allowed to lose. I’ve never met anyone who enjoyed it, but by all means, don’t let that stop you.
    joefitz22 wrote: »

Pretty sure people aren’t “kiddies” because they want to win a game in which the object is to.... win. Lol.

But don’t be so aggressive, no one said you aren’t allowed to lose. I’ve never met anyone who enjoyed it, but by all means, don’t let that stop you.

Mate, Mature adults don't have to WIN AT ALL COST, they don't have to Cheat or Exploit poor programing in order to achieve said Win! And when I say kiddies it's because it's a state of mind and lacking a certain maturity level! See, there are 2 sides to a coin. On one side of the Kiddie coin is Exploiting the game to win at all cost! is this. Other side of that coin is (when a Kiddie is losing): Pull goalie and start scoring own goals, constantly flip the puck over the glass, tea bagging, laying all over the ice, etc etc etc simply because they lack maturity. Either way, the Kiddie maturity level takes away my enjoyment of what should be a fun game

Ever play a board game with say a 3,4 yr old child?? They will do whatever it takes to Win: pick up multiple cards in order to find the "BEST" card, accidentally miscount (add another number or 2) to how many spaces they've actually moved their piece around the board, Lie when you ask them if they have any 2s in the game of Go Fish, etc, etc, etc! They are 3,4 yr old children...they know NO BETTER! They have NO real CONCEPT of Sportsmanship or Fair Play. Just because you can exploit the poor programing doesn't mean you should (just because you cars speedometer goes to 120/160mph doesn't mean you should drive 120/160mph every time you get in the car)
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Like I said, you don’t have to do anything. Do whatever you want.

But if you want to play the game optimally, the way it’s designed, then do as I described.

It’s not “cheating”, or “exploiting” or “poor sportsmanship”, it’s literally just using the “realistic” (lol) skating engine to its fullest.

I’ve been lobbying to get rid of TPS of years. In fact, I’ve been possibly the loudest voice in getting rid of it. But as long as they continue to put it in the game, I will continue to use it optimally.

But if you want to play the game optimally, the way it’s designed, then do as I described.

It’s not “cheating”, or “exploiting” or “poor sportsmanship”, it’s literally just using the “realistic” (lol) skating engine to its fullest.

I’ve been lobbying to get rid of TPS of years. In fact, I’ve been possibly the loudest voice in getting rid of it. But as long as they continue to put it in the game, I will continue to use it optimally.

Sadly (?) the bold part is right. Learn given games mechanics and adapt, that's how it's always gonna be.
    Or, whenever you encounter someone who plays more hockeylike, befriend them.
    After a while you will have a pool of players, you'll find fun in playing.
    If you care about leaderboards, tough luck, do as CrushNHL is saying.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1074 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I don't know what the situation is right now, but at times it used to be that the top rated PS4 HUT-player was a cheating desynching ****, and EA just let it be. I guess that tells you all you need to know about this game, the players and EA 'sports'? ;)
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I don't know what the situation is right now, but at times it used to be that the top rated PS4 HUT-player was a cheating desynching ****, and EA just let it be. I guess that tells you all you need to know about this game, the players and EA 'sports'? ;)

Big difference between desynching (cheating), and using TPS optimally.
  • I was always under the impression that when up against "wigglers" you just show patience and slowly take away their space until they make a mistake and give you the puck.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • Hey Sgt_Kelso, I feel you. I also think it is cheap to constantly play on the flaws of the game mechanics. But, at least, for this title, I can not deny that it is very effective. I am not gonna go down that route myself, but will not deny that I have had a glitch goal or two up through the years.
    Growing up, we played a lot of 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, small goals.
    Of course, then sometimes it's very easy to just snipe from the other end of the field. We considered this about as honorable as helping **** invading your country, we just didn't do it.
    Every time a new fellah joined in, he would snipe from the other end ... Once and never again.
    Same thing goes for an online game, find like-minded people to play with, it's the best way to keep your sanity while having fun.
    And remember you could very well be up against an eight year old, you never know.

I appreciate your honesty, hehe. Thanks for the insightful information, despite Captain Clownshoe trying to troll you up there.

Not sure where you got that I was trying to troll him. If you can't see the sarcasm in my response you must be pretty dull. I'm on the same side as CRUSH here.
  • SpillGal wrote: »

Sadly (?) the bold part is right. Learn given games mechanics and adapt, that's how it's always gonna be.
    Or, whenever you encounter someone who plays more hockeylike, befriend them.
    After a while you will have a pool of players, you'll find fun in playing.

If you care about leaderboards, tough luck, do as CrushNHL is saying.

To bolded part: I've done just that, I started creating my "MATURE Player XB Friend" list way back in NHL08 :)
    Sadly I'd say 1/8 of those players haven't bought the game since NHL14.
    Hell I didn't even buy NHL15, my mother in law bought it for me as a late Christmas gift...lol (had no interest in paying FULL PRICE for 1/4 a game). And I finally had enough after NHL17, I flat out refuse to buy NHL18

It's just sad that here we are in 2017 and the NHL Series hasn't gotten better
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Big difference between desynching (cheating), and using TPS optimally.

Of course there is. I simply gave that as an extreme example of winning at any cost *and by cheating* mentality which was mentioned.

It's still possible to enjoy a good game of hockey, but it's more *despite* the way TPS etc. work, rather than thanks to them. Which seems really out of whack, if you think about it.

• I was always under the impression that when up against "wigglers" you just show patience and slowly take away their space until they make a mistake and give you the puck.

That would be ideal! But it's a tad hard when you're fighting TPS the entire time. Oddly enough it wasn't really a problem shutting glitchers down in NHL 09, 10 and 11 though.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Yes, all they care about is selling HUT packs. They don't care if you like the game, how its played, id anyone is cheating, or if there are bugs and connection issues. Everyone stop buying HUT packs, hit them where it hurts until they put out a decent product.

Yea that's the the theory . But theory vs. Practice, eh?