EA Forums - Banner

Sneaky trick for you all! (Even with video showing it)

SpillGal
336 posts Member
edited October 2017
Just played this guy who was crazy good.
I think the crash-count stopped at 12 - 0 or something like that.
I am not salty, sour, bitter or anything like that, he was way better than me, case closed!
But, I did notice one thing. Five of his goals came by just waiting by the post, and my goalie would jump out of the way, every single fookin time.
I captured one of them here:

So that's the best goalscoring tip I can give you all.
And also the first thing I would patch, if I were a dev.

Replies

• Can't watch the video b/c I'm at work but if he's "waiting at the post" shouldn't you be able to remove him or the puck from the play? How long is he waiting for?
  • You really need to play the offensive player more aggressively there. He's being given too much time and space.

That said, there's absolutely no reason for the goalie to be jumping off the post like that. It's been a real problem with NHL 18. Goalies act like the post is radioactive, they can't wait to get away from it. Just look at how the goalie's twitching when he first comes out from behind the net with the puck. What's the logic there?

Passes directed at the goalie from the corner expose the problem too. Far too often the goalie will come off the post enough that the puck can deflect off their foot and into the net on what should be a completely harmless play.
  • It seems like ANY interaction between ANY player and the post is a bad interaction. We just need to see the way multiple players take "random stabs" at a stationary puck by near the posts to see how bad it really is.
  • Lanny Mac sighting. And lol at ea sports.
  • Can't watch the video b/c I'm at work but if he's "waiting at the post" shouldn't you be able to remove him or the puck from the play? How long is he waiting for?
    You really need to play the offensive player more aggressively there. He's being given too much time and space.
    Well, isn't that the thing, playing against someone who masters the glide, last thing you wanna do is to play aggressive or try to steal the puck. And of course, you end up giving away too much space and time.
    This game it felt as no matter what kind of play I did choose, it was the wrong choice.
    He was good at the game, and had a stacked team, he would beat me even without my goalie opening up to him, just thought the "jump" was worth bringing attention to.

In the situation in that clip, I am worrying about the cross crease pass, and I think that might go for the goalie too? It's the only reason I could think of that might cause him to shoot out like that.
    I have learned to take away the passing option and let the goalie handle the shooter ... Well, my goalie had a different coach. :*
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    In the situation in that clip, I am worrying about the cross crease pass, and I think that might go for the goalie too? It's the only reason I could think of that might cause him to shoot out like that.

I have learned to take away the passing option and let the goalie handle the shooter ... Well, my goalie had a different coach. :*

You'd be right if you were playing hockey. Unfortunately you're playing EA NHL 18.

Goalies are still ****-poor at recognizing that the cross-crease is being covered and abandon the short-side to protect against it even when they should be worried about the shooter ( like in your situation ).

To combat this you have to simultaneously protect against both with your defender ( best of luck ). Basically pick your poison and go with it. Since he's done the same thing to you multiple times and you know the goalie is going to handle the play poorly you pretty much have to get on the guy with the puck and hope he can't get a cross-crease pass off.

I'm not defending the game. The goalie plays this horribly and you're left with a lose/lose choice but that's the way the game currently plays....

• SpillGal wrote: »
    Can't watch the video b/c I'm at work but if he's "waiting at the post" shouldn't you be able to remove him or the puck from the play? How long is he waiting for?
    You really need to play the offensive player more aggressively there. He's being given too much time and space.
    Well, isn't that the thing, playing against someone who masters the glide, last thing you wanna do is to play aggressive or try to steal the puck. And of course, you end up giving away too much space and time.
    This game it felt as no matter what kind of play I did choose, it was the wrong choice.
    He was good at the game, and had a stacked team, he would beat me even without my goalie opening up to him, just thought the "jump" was worth bringing attention to.

In that situation the best you could have done was to stay lower in your zone and seal off the path to that post that he likes exploiting so much. Also, HUT sliders ain't doing you no favors as they're known for being more arcadey.
  • You guys are right. I think in that specific situation I should have been on him, blocking off his way to the net. LD should take out the other winger, C police the slot while my wingers should take out his D-men.
    If you watch the clip, that is what is happening here, except from me abandoning my task.
    My excuse is that I don't actually trust my "teammates" when it comes to stopping the play if it turns to their zone. On the other hand, if EA makes them too good at that I think the complaints about OP AI would reach unbelievable heights.
    Another thing is, if I try to put as much pressure on him that I would like to, I would've had a hard time following his gliding wiggles, as he has better lateral movement being the puck-carrier, gliding. If I succeeded in that, he could very well turn his back on me, keeping his stick out and still throw a rocket of a pass, right through me, perfectly timed for a onetimer.
    For balance, I think it would be a good idea to tone down some of the advantages from gliding.
    Up the probability for an interception a tad and of course have the goalie stay on his post.
    Probably it's the speed of the play that makes this happen. He is gliding very slow in from the side.
    Had this happened in 20x the speed it does here, the timing of that move from the post would've made a lot more sense.