EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

This game sucks! (Legitimate complaints)

Prev1
Theres just so many things wrong with it

- Your players wont pick up the puck, both user and cpu. The cpu skates around and avoids the puck and when your nearby it they never pick it unless its not moving

- CPU teammates do absolutely nothing. The way they skate around makes absolutely no sense and they rarely set up for one timers or go towards the net. On defense they dont do anything except stand around or gaze into the stands, cpu always gets one timers and are always set up in 100 % proper positioning. You can try to control 5 players at once but they zip that puck around and make it impossible for you to make up for the stupidity of your cpu. This has been in every NHL game in recent years. Was completely ignored every time.

- Player switching is a joke, again. Makes absolutely no sense and half the time you switch to a player who isnt doing anything or involved in the play whatsoever. Manual switching could certainly solve this but nope, the people who buy this game want it so therefore devs wont put it in the game

- Worst thing about this game, controls are super clunky. Even when the player switching is fine, every time I switch to a player its so unresponsive. The player either wont move, takes a few seconds to get going or just does this weird shuffle animation before moving a few inches and then getting hit by an oncoming CPU. Its a 50/50 and a game to game basis how im going to be able to use my players. One game they might come out skating normal and somewhat fast. Next game, their skates turn into anchors and they can barely move. Again this is nothing new and has been in every NHL (and we complained about it then too), but this year its like so much worse.

I dont even play online so I cant comment on that, although I do know the servers are garbage and it isnt worth wasting time on it. For the regular gameplay, this is the worst NHL on next gen to date. Its like somehow everything that was wrong with previous games is made worse in this game. I hope this thread doesnt get deleted as some have before, and the devs just own up to it that this game does suck and almost everyone who plays it thinks its a huge failure. Instead of trying to ignore the people who play this game maybe some valuable advice can be used to make the game better for once the customers can be happy with the product and not hate it. I cant go back to the old games because a lot has changed in the NHL to this date (new adidas jerseys, new expansion team, new arenas, etc.) so playing the old games would just be weird and boring (although the gameplay is somehow better and more fun). I wont buy another NHL game as I am certain next year the devs are going to make it worse, but im going to rent it for a week just to make sure. This years game is terrible and I dont even know if an update could make it better, although I truly truly hope it does because as of right now its a big waste of $60.

Replies

• not to mention the AI cheats constantly and rarely ever get called for penalties
  • Theres just so many things wrong with it

- Your players wont pick up the puck, both user and cpu. The cpu skates around and avoids the puck and when your nearby it they never pick it unless its not moving

- CPU teammates do absolutely nothing. The way they skate around makes absolutely no sense and they rarely set up for one timers or go towards the net. On defense they dont do anything except stand around or gaze into the stands, cpu always gets one timers and are always set up in 100 % proper positioning. You can try to control 5 players at once but they zip that puck around and make it impossible for you to make up for the stupidity of your cpu. This has been in every NHL game in recent years. Was completely ignored every time.

- Player switching is a joke, again. Makes absolutely no sense and half the time you switch to a player who isnt doing anything or involved in the play whatsoever. Manual switching could certainly solve this but nope, the people who buy this game want it so therefore devs wont put it in the game

- Worst thing about this game, controls are super clunky. Even when the player switching is fine, every time I switch to a player its so unresponsive. The player either wont move, takes a few seconds to get going or just does this weird shuffle animation before moving a few inches and then getting hit by an oncoming CPU. Its a 50/50 and a game to game basis how im going to be able to use my players. One game they might come out skating normal and somewhat fast. Next game, their skates turn into anchors and they can barely move. Again this is nothing new and has been in every NHL (and we complained about it then too), but this year its like so much worse.

I dont even play online so I cant comment on that, although I do know the servers are garbage and it isnt worth wasting time on it. For the regular gameplay, this is the worst NHL on next gen to date. Its like somehow everything that was wrong with previous games is made worse in this game. I hope this thread doesnt get deleted as some have before, and the devs just own up to it that this game does suck and almost everyone who plays it thinks its a huge failure. Instead of trying to ignore the people who play this game maybe some valuable advice can be used to make the game better for once the customers can be happy with the product and not hate it. I cant go back to the old games because a lot has changed in the NHL to this date (new adidas jerseys, new expansion team, new arenas, etc.) so playing the old games would just be weird and boring (although the gameplay is somehow better and more fun). I wont buy another NHL game as I am certain next year the devs are going to make it worse, but im going to rent it for a week just to make sure. This years game is terrible and I dont even know if an update could make it better, although I truly truly hope it does because as of right now its a big waste of $60.

Any criticism of this game is deleted. Seriously. They cannot handle it. It’s too challenging to have an open discussion as to why this game is the way it is. And the devs won’t respond to anything and will probably never take accountability for the huge issues with this game. My guess is they are all actually children, at least their behaviour suggests that.
  • Theres just so many things wrong with it

Any criticism of this game is deleted. Seriously. They cannot handle it. It’s too challenging to have an open discussion as to why this game is the way it is. And the devs won’t respond to anything and will probably never take accountability for the huge issues with this game. My guess is they are all actually children, at least their behaviour suggests that.

I spit out coffee and laughed way too much at this LOL
  • Don’t waste precious coffee... haha
  • I love the game. Best hockey game to date.
  • - Worst thing about this game, controls are super clunky. Even when the player switching is fine, every time I switch to a player its so unresponsive. The player either wont move, takes a few seconds to get going or just does this weird shuffle animation before moving a few inches and then getting hit by an oncoming CPU. Its a 50/50 and a game to game basis how im going to be able to use my players. One game they might come out skating normal and somewhat fast. Next game, their skates turn into anchors and they can barely move. Again this is nothing new and has been in every NHL (and we complained about it then too), but this year its like so much worse.

This is by far the biggest issue with the series since it moved to current gen and has basically killed it at this point. I wasn't a big fan of TPS after NHL 13, but at least the game was still responsive and your player didn't go into random animations all the time. I really have no idea how the game this generation was considered an improvement, we don't even have an EASHL team anymore because of it.
  • Let's be honest, the developers of this game go home and play Madden. There are so many frustrating, yet simple to fix, issues with this game that have existed for years. If any develoler ever played the game online, they'd understand
  • Hope you are all enjoying it, I didn't bother buying this year because I'm making a stand, purely out of principle, all of things you mention have been on going issues for the last couple of years, when EA finally roll out a decent hockey game I'll buy again but after buying virtually every year and seeing nhl go downhill year after year enough is enough.

Not a huge baseball fan but I'm enjoying the show as a replacement. Not the fast pace game hockey is but still fun to play. It makes you realise how good games should be, we don't ask a lot but we do expect issues that have been around for years to be fixed at some point. It's all well adding a few bells and whistles each year but the core gameplay isn't being fixed and becomes a more frustrating than enjoyable experience.
  • Despite this games myriad of problems and ignored legacy issues the single greatest thing that ruins this game is how absolutely clueless the CPU AI is. Most notably your AI teammates. They wander aimlessly, stand still, make ill timed line changes, and constantly skate into you. It seems worse than ever this year. EA doesn’t care as long as people by the game every year (Guilty) and people pour money into HUT.
  • The only way EA will listen is by people not buying, so there is very little point moaning if you are not making a stand, I actually think the dodgy AI is something will never see improved, it's been there from the mega drive days. What irks me is the clueless goalies and constant rebounding for the cpu team to score, I could spend the whole game trying to score only for the CPU to skate down the ice and score on a soft shot from impossible angles or underneath my goalies body, I appreciate some of things things can happen occasionally but its all the time and it frustrates more than anything,
    The lack of cpu penalties is another thing and the skating around the puck trying to pick it up. All issues that have plagued next gen consoles versions
  • Not buying the game WILL NOT make EA listen it will make them stop making the game like they did with their crappy baseball game and for awhile NBA.....that’s the frustrating part, it may come to not having an NHL game but it doesn’t have to if they just listen to the community? Bottom line is EA is not very good in the sports department. Madden had been stale for years. They failed at NASCAR, MLB, and NBA. Look at NBA2k and MLB the Show. Developers who understand the sport they are selling
  • haha wow you're a real tool aren't you! I'd rather have BAD AI of previous years than this years CHEATING AI! If the cpu is losing you can always count on getting penalties for the majority of the second period. If they don't want you to win rebounds with be full powered shots with no stick on them. NHL 15 was more fun to play quite honestly.
    I love the game. Best hockey game to date.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Not buying the game WILL NOT make EA listen it will make them stop making the game like they did with their crappy baseball game and for awhile NBA.....that’s the frustrating part, it may come to not having an NHL game but it doesn’t have to if they just listen to the community? Bottom line is EA is not very good in the sports department. Madden had been stale for years. They failed at NASCAR, MLB, and NBA. Look at NBA2k and MLB the Show. Developers who understand the sport they are selling

2k is doing the worst job possible for making a video game.

The dev team has literally come out and said that they are kept from making a better, more complete game that makes more sense because the hire ups want the to focus on implementing microtransactions wherever possible because their focus is on making as much money from i game purchases as they can, not making the best game possible.

Even the **** GM mode pushes you to buy coins so you can purchase the team from the owner.
    Not buying the game WILL NOT make EA listen it will make them stop making the game like they did with their crappy baseball game and for awhile NBA.....that’s the frustrating part, it may come to not having an NHL game but it doesn’t have to if they just listen to the community? Bottom line is EA is not very good in the sports department. Madden had been stale for years. They failed at NASCAR, MLB, and NBA. Look at NBA2k and MLB the Show. Developers who understand the sport they are selling

EA's NASCAR and MVP Baseball were way better back then than the games we have now in the gameplay department. There is a very good reason why MVP Baseball 2005 still has a very active PC modding community to this date.

And by the way, 2K purchaded the exclusive rights to MLB, that is why EA dropped out of the baseball sim market. 2K's game was so bad, the moment The Show came into being, they cut their loses.

NASCAR 2005: Chase For The Cup was the ultimate NASCAR game. The career mode alone was to die for.

Honestly, even ask the Madden fans, and they will tell you Madden 05 and NCAA 05 were the best football games ever.

2006 we saw the release of NFS: Carbon, generally considered the closest thing to the excitement of the original three "Most Wanted" titles.

NHL 05 was a bit of a letdown. We finally got strong defensive AI, but it came in the form of every bodycheck being a "big hit" attempt. (Yes, remember when body checks could be small or big in the game depending on which button you pressed and how this impacted which penalties could be called)

FIFA 05 was ok i guess. Most FIFA games were incredibly stale (similar to what we see with Madden these days) after FIFA 99 until the release of FIFA 07, which saw a huge overhaul in the physics engine among various AI behaviors. The Manager Mode featured in FIFA 07 is still considered one of the best ever.

Something happened after that golden period that caused the quality of EA's games to fall so far from what we all came to expect. And here we are 10 years later with a myriad of problems with each game that havent been solved in 10 years....
  • VeNOM2099
    3151 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    And by the way, 2K purchaded the exclusive rights to MLB, that is why EA dropped out of the baseball sim market. 2K's game was so bad, the moment The Show came into being, they cut their loses.

They bought the 3rd party exclusive rights, actually. That means that 1st party developers (like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft) can make baseball games with the MLB license.

EA, who are a 3rd party developer, cannot... The only 3rd party that can make an MLB Licensed game is 2K Sports.

They say revenge is a dish best served cold.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

They bought the 3rd party exclusive rights, actually. That means that 1st party developers (like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft) can make baseball games with the MLB license.

EA, who are a 3rd party developer, cannot... The only 3rd party that can make an MLB Licensed game is 2K Sports.

When do those rights expire?

The original rights ran through 2012, before they were renewed and they gave it one more go for 2013 before giving up on baseball games.

Interestingly enough, the MLB Power Pros games were released in 2007 and 2008, but they were produced by Konami and published by 2K. Unless I am mistaken, that would mean 2K had to give Konami the OK to make a baseball game with MLB teams, so long as they got to publish it. Is that even a real loophole to begin with?
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

When do those rights expire?

The original rights ran through 2012, before they were renewed and they gave it one more go for 2013 before giving up on baseball games.

Interestingly enough, the MLB Power Pros games were released in 2007 and 2008, but they were produced by Konami and published by 2K. Unless I am mistaken, that would mean 2K had to give Konami the OK to make a baseball game with MLB teams, so long as they got to publish it. Is that even a real loophole to begin with?

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that they renewed the rights, but I don't know for how much longer. It would be silly for 2K to spend money on a license they don't even use. Then again, EA basically took 2K out of the NFL genre when they did their exclusivity deal with the NFL.

So maybe they'll continue with the 3rd party exclusivity rights... Just to spite EA.
  • I can’t help but laugh at this but it goes to show you that this game is a joke and outcomes are predetermined. I decided to do a HUT vs CPU challenge and the first game was vs the Islanders on All-Star. I had to take 20 shots, perfect penalty kill, and not give up more than 3 goals to complete all 3 stars.

First Game I outshot them 26-2 and lost 2-1 and despite not taking a penalty I started the 3rd period short handed and they scored a PP goal

Second Game I outshot them 22-1 and lost 1-0. Again I didn’t take a penalty but started the 3rd short handed and their goal was a PP game.

Third game 29-3 and lost 2-1 in overtime.

In 3 games I gave up 5 goals on 6 total shots. All goals were soft floaters some from bad angles. Way to replicate hockey EA...did you guys ever watch a game?
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    rbb51708 wrote: »
    haha wow you're a real tool aren't you! I'd rather have BAD AI of previous years than this years CHEATING AI! If the cpu is losing you can always count on getting penalties for the majority of the second period. If they don't want you to win rebounds with be full powered shots with no stick on them. NHL 15 was more fun to play quite honestly.
    I love the game. Best hockey game to date.

The dudes giving his opinion, so what, honestly you're the tool, quit trying to be a forum tough guy.

Having no NHL is likely the best option. The game offers nothing, it's been stagnant for years. They need to be forced to scrap it and start over.

It's like if I machine a part too small and try to add material back to get it to size...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!