EA Forums - Banner

Where is the Loop/Resetting patch

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Then why do non aaa devs communicate with their community? If it's not the devs job then they shouldn't do it yet they do. They know it helps their business.

Because they like to? Because they enjoy it? I dont know, ask them. I know devs browse these boards and dont post often for obvious reasons. Its not part of their job to post here though. If they do its during their free time.

We definitely read a way higher percent than we respond to. There are not many threads that I don't get a chance to read through. I do really enjoy talking about the game but at the end of the day, talking about what we would like to do solves a lot less than actually working internally on the product. There have definitely been times in the past where I have spent more time writing back and trying to give details but in the end, people want to hear less talk and would prefer to see the results in the product and unfortunately it takes a lot longer to action on that feedback than it does to talk about it.

We also have limitations on what we can say publicly before pieces are public knowledge -- that is where internal user experience testing and groups like game changers are valuable due to the NDA agreements.

I would rate one of the best parts of my job being the collaborative discussions on how to improve the experience and looking at the real world sport and figuring out the best way to bring that to life digitally. Unfortunately we can't have the majority of those conversations on the public forum even though I know many of you would be interested in having them. We also get a lot of the feedback that many of you are after from reading the forums, and then we take that information back to the team that can action on that feedback and have the detailed conversations with our engineers, artists and animators.

You took the time to write this long reply but didn't say hey we know that the OP is a issue and we're working on it...............
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Then why do non aaa devs communicate with their community? If it's not the devs job then they shouldn't do it yet they do. They know it helps their business.

Because they like to? Because they enjoy it? I dont know, ask them. I know devs browse these boards and dont post often for obvious reasons. Its not part of their job to post here though. If they do its during their free time.

We definitely read a way higher percent than we respond to. There are not many threads that I don't get a chance to read through. I do really enjoy talking about the game but at the end of the day, talking about what we would like to do solves a lot less than actually working internally on the product. There have definitely been times in the past where I have spent more time writing back and trying to give details but in the end, people want to hear less talk and would prefer to see the results in the product and unfortunately it takes a lot longer to action on that feedback than it does to talk about it.

We also have limitations on what we can say publicly before pieces are public knowledge -- that is where internal user experience testing and groups like game changers are valuable due to the NDA agreements.

I would rate one of the best parts of my job being the collaborative discussions on how to improve the experience and looking at the real world sport and figuring out the best way to bring that to life digitally. Unfortunately we can't have the majority of those conversations on the public forum even though I know many of you would be interested in having them. We also get a lot of the feedback that many of you are after from reading the forums, and then we take that information back to the team that can action on that feedback and have the detailed conversations with our engineers, artists and animators.

You took the time to write this long reply but didn't say hey we know that the OP is a issue and we're working on it...............

Maybe hes not allowed to. Did you not read his post?
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited November 2017

And we appreciate that! I do have to ask, how much input do WE the buying consumers have in this process?

As a former Usher at CONSOL Energy Center (5/2011 - 2/2015), I can tell you the FANS have a lot of input on how/what the Penguins / SMG / Aramark can do to improve the quality of the Game Day experience. The Pens Organization have the Ushers hand out a small (usually 2 page) questionnaire....in the one questionnaire was a couple Pens uniform questuions (forget actual wordage) "How would you feel about the possible return of Pittsburgh Gold" "How do you feel about the possibility of the Pens wearing the early 90's Stanley Cup uniforms (or something like that). Remind me again what uniforms the Pens are wearing right now? Now, how much REAL FAN input was put into the Pens decision to GO BACK to the '88-'92 Style uniform with the Pittsburgh Gold (there was rumor of doing the '88-'92 style but keeping Vegas Gold...WBS used that style color scheme as an alternate in '13/'14 and it was very popular) I don't know but as an Usher, I have talked many different people (face to face) in different sections that WANTED the '88-'92 Pittsburgh Gold uniform to come back
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

Their able to say if there is a issue there aware about, don't care about specific dates but at least acknowledge it
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited November 2017

Their able to say if there is a issue there aware about, don't care about specific dates but at least acknowledge it

I didnt know you were aware of what specifics they could and couldn't talk about. My mistake.
  • See... @B-Bunny was right. Dude comes on here and gives some good info and this guy is all like, "That's not the info I wanted, blah blah blah."

I mean NDA's suck and because I play a lot of early access games that have small dev teams who directly communicate with the fans this kind of hands off approach to me is not cool. I guess it's different when it's like 20 or less guys working on a game vs hundreds. They don't have shareholders breathing down their necks just people who chose to give them money for an unfinished game who have no real power if they fail to deliver.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited November 2017
    joefitz22 wrote: »
    And we appreciate that! I do have to ask, how much input do WE the buying consumers have in this process?

As a former Usher at CONSOL Energy Center (5/2011 - 2/2015), I can tell you the FANS have a lot of input on how/what the Penguins / SMG / Aramark can do to improve the quality of the Game Day experience. The Pens Organization have the Ushers hand out a small (usually 2 page) questionnaire....in the one questionnaire was a couple Pens uniform questuions (forget actual wordage) "How would you feel about the possible return of Pittsburgh Gold" "How do you feel about the possibility of the Pens wearing the early 90's Stanley Cup uniforms (or something like that). Remind me again what uniforms the Pens are wearing right now? Now, how much REAL FAN input was put into the Pens decision to GO BACK to the '88-'92 Style uniform with the Pittsburgh Gold (there was rumor of doing the '88-'92 style but keeping Vegas Gold...WBS used that style color scheme as an alternate in '13/'14 and it was very popular) I don't know but as an Usher, I have talked many different people (face to face) in different sections that WANTED the '88-'92 Pittsburgh Gold uniform to come back

I guess it depends what parts of the community you ask around different parts and features of the game. Everything we do is with intent to improve the experience for our existing players and/or to attract more hockey fans that want to enjoy a virtual hockey experience.

For example, I have seen yourself and others say that they didn't ask for better crowds, mascots, etc. but there are plenty of people out there where the authenticity of the world is important in adding to their immersion. There are certain expectations for visuals and audio quality and we look to hit and surpass that.

When we looked at our deking feature set for NHL 18, we took a ton of feedback regarding what people liked about the previous deking systems and mechanics in the game as we looked to add new moves that we see top players pulling off and also took a lot of the feedback around balance and tried to incorporate it all into what we delivered.

Those are just a couple examples but in all cases, we are very aware of what people are asking for, even when we are adding something new.

We also do a lot of surveys as you mentioned the Pens do, run User Experience sessions throughout development and started programs like Gamechangers to have members act as voices for their respective communities where can have more candid dialogue due to the NDA's in place.

• I know everyone has different issues they would like addressed. I think I speak for the majority of people when I say fixing online gameplay should be the focus . For the most part I don't care about jerseys and mascots, I want an enjoyable experience when I play HUT. I really really wanna throw $300-$400 into packs but I can't because online play is unplayable. I have had the same issue since 15. Fatman Lag/Input delay.

All I would like to know is if the FATMAN lag is a known problem and if a solution is being discussed. Even if I have to buy something to fix it (I would pay anything)
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    I know everyone has different issues they would like addressed. I think I speak for the majority of people when I say fixing online gameplay should be the focus . For the most part I don't care about jerseys and mascots, I want an enjoyable experience when I play HUT. I really really wanna throw $300-$400 into packs but I can't because online play is unplayable. I have had the same issue since 15. Fatman Lag/Input delay.

All I would like to know is if the FATMAN lag is a known problem and if a solution is being discussed. Even if I have to buy something to fix it (I would pay anything)

Online connections obviously get more complicated as we are no longer just dealing with a common console and common inputs as there is other personal hardware and connections in the mix.

We are very aware that different players in our community are facing better and worse scenarios when playing online and it is certainly our intent that everyone would have a great experience when playing the game.

So that said, I can't confirm to know what could be causing your exact issues but we are dedicated to improving our online play for all players since it is such a big part of our experience. I know that is a generic answer but all I can say is that we are continuing to improve our tools and testing processes to be able to track down and isolate different scenarios so that we can find ways to improve our experience across the board which may positively impact some players more than others in the end if we get new solutions, but its hard to say.
  • I have been trying to chat with an EA employee for years, so this is already a breakthrough.

I appreciate any response, even a generic one. If I could figure out what the actual problem is, I could research a way to fix it. I could buy hardware that promises to eliminate input delay, but I don't know if that's the problem. It's been so frustrating. I have the biggest internet provider in the country, live in a major city, have opened ports, purchased routers, Ethernet cables, new modems nothing fixes the issue. 1 night my players can skate, shoot, check, the next 5 nights they can't . I literally have no control and get destroyed by everyone.

What could cause my players to have no abilities? The best way I can put it is my 92 player turns into a 62 player. It definitely is newer console problem. Never has and issue on PS2.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited November 2017

I guess it depends what parts of the community you ask around different parts and features of the game. Everything we do is with intent to improve the experience for our existing players and/or to attract more hockey fans that want to enjoy a virtual hockey experience.

For example, I have seen yourself and others say that they didn't ask for better crowds, mascots, etc. but there are plenty of people out there where the authenticity of the world is important in adding to their immersion. There are certain expectations for visuals and audio quality and we look to hit and surpass that.

When we looked at our deking feature set for NHL 18, we took a ton of feedback regarding what people liked about the previous deking systems and mechanics in the game as we looked to add new moves that we see top players pulling off and also took a lot of the feedback around balance and tried to incorporate it all into what we delivered.

Those are just a couple examples but in all cases, we are very aware of what people are asking for, even when we are adding something new.

We also do a lot of surveys as you mentioned the Pens do, run User Experience sessions throughout development and started programs like Gamechangers to have members act as voices for their respective communities where can have more candid dialogue due to the NDA's in place.

Would it be difficult to focus on one thing yearly, year after year? Example:

NHL19, ALL hands on deck to focus Priority #1 on Game play issues (puck pick ups, stupid AI, clipping issues, etc)....NOTHING ELSE MATTERS (mascots, Yellow skate laces, etc) UNTIL the #1 Priority is Fixed, tested, play tested over and over again until it's ready to go

NHL20, ALL hands on deck to focus Priority #1 on Graphics

NHL21, ALL hands on deck to focus Priority #1 on Game Modes

Thought process is that you'll not only have a LARGER pool of Team Members to get help from but also have FRESH EYES / FRESH OPINIONS on said issues. The Company I work for, the Dept Heads are ALWAYS looking to other Depts for NEW FRESH ideas on how to solve problems. Ya know, a guy doing the same job for 12,13,14 years is bound to get Stale (nothing wrong with that...IT HAPPENS to us all) and sometimes it takes some NEW FRESH Opinions to get that 14yr veteran to Reinvent themselves! Look at Hockey, how many times do you hear a Veteran say the NEW YOUNG KIDS are like a breath of fresh air and it rejuvenates / motivates the OLDER guys
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited November 2017

NHL19, ALL hands on deck to focus Priority #1 on Game play issues (puck pick ups, stupid AI, clipping issues, etc)....NOTHING ELSE MATTERS (mascots, Yellow skate laces, etc) UNTIL the #1 Priority is Fixed, tested, play tested over and over again until it's ready to go

Thought process is that you'll not only have a LARGER pool of Team Members to get help from but also have FRESH EYES / FRESH OPINIONS on said issues. The Company I work for, the Dept Heads are ALWAYS looking to other Depts for NEW FRESH ideas on how to solve problems. Ya know, a guy doing the same job for 12,13,14 years is bound to get Stale (nothing wrong with that...IT HAPPENS to us all) and sometimes it takes some NEW FRESH Opinions to get that 14yr veteran to Reinvent themselves! Look at Hockey, how many times do you hear a Veteran say the NEW YOUNG KIDS are like a breath of fresh air and it rejuvenates / motivates the OLDER guys

What happens if the #1 priority is never fully fixed. Then you have nothing to market except - hey we fixed stuff. Maybe you'd buy it, but most people would just stick with their old copies because there isn't anything new. People already complain there isn't enough difference between yearly games as is.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited November 2017

What happens if the #1 priority is never fully fixed. Then you have nothing to market except - hey we fixed stuff. Maybe you'd buy it, but most people would just stick with their old copies because there isn't anything new. People already complain there isn't enough difference between yearly games as is.

Well that's pretty sad and pathetic then ain't it? Heads would have to roll and people SHOULD lose their jobs! Can you imagine if (during the winter) the City of Pittsburgh's #1 Priority is to clear the snow off of the Main Roads (so emergency vehicles can get to and from) and they don't accomplish that Priority?

OH WAIT, that actually **** HAPPENED, an elderly man (Hazelwood neighborhood) Died because the City FAILED to clear that Main artery, of snow and ice FIRST and FOREMOST. Ya know how bad the City looked when that incident happened?

Story in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review Sept 5 2012

Pittsburgh and Allegheny County tentatively settled a lawsuit filed by the family of a Hazelwood man who died during the 2010 blizzard while waiting 30 hours for an ambulance to arrive, lawyers said on Tuesday.

Curtis Mitchell, 50, an unemployed laborer, died Feb. 7, 2010, of heart disease while awaiting an ambulance during a storm that dumped 21 inches of snow on the city. His death prompted the county to revamp its emergency response system and the city to improve its winter storm plan.

Mitchell's two children sued the city and county emergency services, seeking more than $500,000 in damages. Neither side would divulge details of the settlement until they sign it and City Council approves it. The city and county said they are not admitting fault.

“We think we got a fair amount,” said Downtown attorney Alan Perer, who represents Mitchell's children. “We're happy that the city and county have acknowledged that this is not acceptable.”

Mitchell and his girlfriend, Sharon Edge, made 10 calls to 911 on Feb. 6 and 7, but city paramedics were unable to reach Mitchell's Chaplain Way home because of heavy snow.

Yes, it's a different scenario (video game to roads being cleared) but it's the same principle! IF you're #1 Priority isn't being fixed, then you're doing something wrong.
  • Dumb. real dumb.
  • so lets just go with no the resetting wont get fixed for 18 since we just keep dancing around the OP post so not surprised since NHL 16 had NHL LIVE MOMENTS and we didn't have a single download for it all year....
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited November 2017

Well that's pretty sad and pathetic then ain't it? Heads would have to roll and people SHOULD lose their jobs! Can you imagine if (during the winter) the City of Pittsburgh's #1 Priority is to clear the snow off of the Main Roads (so emergency vehicles can get to and from) and they don't accomplish that Priority?

OH WAIT, that actually **** HAPPENED, an elderly man (Hazelwood neighborhood) Died because the City FAILED to clear that Main artery, of snow and ice FIRST and FOREMOST. Ya know how bad the City looked when that incident happened?

Story in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review Sept 5 2012

Pittsburgh and Allegheny County tentatively settled a lawsuit filed by the family of a Hazelwood man who died during the 2010 blizzard while waiting 30 hours for an ambulance to arrive, lawyers said on Tuesday.

Curtis Mitchell, 50, an unemployed laborer, died Feb. 7, 2010, of heart disease while awaiting an ambulance during a storm that dumped 21 inches of snow on the city. His death prompted the county to revamp its emergency response system and the city to improve its winter storm plan.

Mitchell's two children sued the city and county emergency services, seeking more than $500,000 in damages. Neither side would divulge details of the settlement until they sign it and City Council approves it. The city and county said they are not admitting fault.

“We think we got a fair amount,” said Downtown attorney Alan Perer, who represents Mitchell's children. “We're happy that the city and county have acknowledged that this is not acceptable.”

Mitchell and his girlfriend, Sharon Edge, made 10 calls to 911 on Feb. 6 and 7, but city paramedics were unable to reach Mitchell's Chaplain Way home because of heavy snow.

Yes, it's a different scenario (video game to roads being cleared) but it's the same principle! IF you're #1 Priority isn't being fixed, then you're doing something wrong.

I think you kind if proved my point in that rant though. Unexpected **** happens. You can try and prepare for the worst but sometimes youre just stuck.
  • What he also proved is the yearly release of any video game is a dated and useless model only beneficial to those making money off of the people who are going to pay for a sub par product.

You want to see a game supported and fixed though it's lifetime then don't kill said game off after one year.
  • deadman9999
    877 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Kinda sad that a Beta was 100% more stable than the final product... something isnt right with this game in general
  • What he also proved is the yearly release of any video game is a dated and useless model only beneficial to those making money off of the people who are going to pay for a sub par product.

You want to see a game supported and fixed though it's lifetime then don't kill said game off after one year.

Thank You!!
  • NHLDev wrote: »

How about a simple sticky, on top of forum?

Like:

We are currently working on these bugfixes:
    Prio 1 stuff here

Prio 2 stuff here

We are currently working on these features:
    Coming with in the next 3 months:
    blabla
    Coming in next years version/within 12 months of subscription:

blabla
    This would stymie the frustration a lot for me at least!
    FURY-69-.png