EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

EASHL last minute EA cheese in close games (Videos)

Prev1
barrett098
416 posts Member
edited November 2017
I know devs think its selective memory, but there is 100% something in the code that kicks in during 1 goal and tie games with less than min left in the 3rd. These are all the ones I capped in my last ~30 games...and all of these were either either game tying goals or game winning goals with less than minute left in the game. There was another one where I was FULLY covering shortside on blocker side and he still managed to snipe it under my arm somehow with 5 sec left to force OT, wouldn't let me upload that clip for some reason but I know for a fact goalie makes that save EVERY time if it wasn't last min of a close game.

It's gotten to the point where you when the last min cheese is going to happen in close games in the last min of the 3rd. Check the codes again Ben, there has to some sort of code that allow this to happen in the last min to keep the games "exiciting.

Replies

• B-Bunny
    876 posts Game Changer
    These happen all the time, not just in the last minute.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • Kjelld81
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    The worst ones are short side when the game refuses to let you get on the post and I get sniped in the small area by my head. And the hungry, hungry hippos way the goalie tries to cover the puck and completely misses 70% of the time while simultaneously throwing his legs back to let in a goal.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

Yes. Goals happen all the time. I think that’s pretty obvious.

He’s saying this happens a lot more often in the last minute which is true, whether EA is willing to admit it or not.

This one is worthy of a:
    download_2.jpg

• It's not that it happens more often late game its that you notice it more late game. No one likes to give up a late goal like that but it does happen. I'll watch in a bit but I'd be willing to bet you are not in perfect position on the plays.
  • This has been going on for years , it is what EA thinks makes games more exciting .
    If you do not believe it enjoy your koolaid!
  • B-Bunny
    876 posts Game Changer
    edited November 2017
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

He’s saying this happens a lot more often in the last minute which is true, whether EA is willing to admit it or not.

This one is worthy of a:
    download_2.jpg

The last 'minute' is also a real minute, which is going to be longer than the other sped up 'minutes'. Add in the fact people get more desperate and tense, and what Metal said, you have more said goals occuring.

You guys really are something. The sooner you accept the fact the game isnt out to get you, the more youll enjoy it and the faster youll get better at it because youll be accountable for the mistakes you make.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • From what I can tell you are playing far too deep in your net and trying to rely far too much on the save animations rather than taking away any option for the shooter so the puck just hits you. I never got to use the manual save controls but even with the auto animations I would always try to position myself so I wouldn't really need to use one. I would always try to take the puck in the chest or leg pads of the standard butterfly stance.

I also don't know how the post hug works these days but it appears to me you are not using it as much as you should be to stop some of those short side attempts.

There were two where you just got screwed by bugs or limitations in the game. The one through the pads, nothing you can do because of the flawed engine. The missed cover, again nothing you can do unless you have auto cover on. Regarding that I would only every try to cover a puck if I was over 75% sure i would cover it. I let in a few goals on plays where I should have covered it but was unsure if the game would have covered it. I also stopped plenty where I took a chance to cover one I wasn't sure would be covered. There's a bit of risk reward to playing net in the game due to some flawed mechanics and you just have to deal with it.
  • From what I can tell you are playing far too deep in your net and trying to rely far too much on the save animations rather than taking away any option for the shooter so the puck just hits you. I never got to use the manual save controls but even with the auto animations I would always try to position myself so I wouldn't really need to use one. I would always try to take the puck in the chest or leg pads of the standard butterfly stance.

I also don't know how the post hug works these days but it appears to me you are not using it as much as you should be to stop some of those short side attempts.

There were two where you just got screwed by bugs or limitations in the game. The one through the pads, nothing you can do because of the flawed engine. The missed cover, again nothing you can do unless you have auto cover on. Regarding that I would only every try to cover a puck if I was over 75% sure i would cover it. I let in a few goals on plays where I should have covered it but was unsure if the game would have covered it. I also stopped plenty where I took a chance to cover one I wasn't sure would be covered. There's a bit of risk reward to playing net in the game due to some flawed mechanics and you just have to deal with it.

can you show me which ones im playing too deep in the net? what is manual saves? and which ones would you post hug on short side attempts?

honest question...do u even play goalie in this game? jw
  • Its hard to believe anyone who plays this game extensively wouldn't agree with the OP. It's something that happens consistently from game to game. Like the OP stated, it's so common now that you know the exact point when it becomes inevitable that a lame goals coming.

It's easy to deflect and say that people believe the games out to get them. In most cases though, these people know that it goes both ways. I've certainly been on both ends of these cheesy goals. It's most likely 50/50 for and against. That doesn't make it reasonable at all. Why are these manufactured moments needed? You take control out of peoples hands at that point.
  • To be a little fair to EA, the NHL itself has implemented new rules to try adding scoring to make games more exciting.
    But EA need to remember we are not fans watching a game .
  • VeNOM2099
    2958 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    barrett098 wrote: »
    From what I can tell you are playing far too deep in your net and trying to rely far too much on the save animations rather than taking away any option for the shooter so the puck just hits you. I never got to use the manual save controls but even with the auto animations I would always try to position myself so I wouldn't really need to use one. I would always try to take the puck in the chest or leg pads of the standard butterfly stance.

can you show me which ones im playing too deep in the net? what is manual saves? and which ones would you post hug on short side attempts?

honest question...do u even play goalie in this game? jw

I think he means using the Butterfly Save (LT). Thing is the game will often do an auto-save for you because of the delay when playing online. And even if you do hit the LT in time to make a "manual" save, you're not actually choosing the save animation, the game picks what save animation to do based on where the shot is going... It should also consider your position in net, IMO, so as to use more limb based saves instead of blocking saves but... *sigh*....

Goalies gotta get sniped sometimes. Y'know the dill... :/

@MetalMilitia623 As for the post hug, it's a now a TOGGLE in the new gen games, whereas it used to be a button HOLD before. Hold the RT to hug the post, release the RT to let go instantly. Now you have to squeeze the RT for a second to initiate the hug and wait for the animation of the goalie sticking to his post. If you want to come of your post, you have to push away from the post for another second to release. If a shooter takes a shot on net while you're in a transition to or from post hug, your goalie will freeze in place and allow the puck to go through.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    The last 'minute' is also a real minute, which is going to be longer than the other sped up 'minutes'. Add in the fact people get more desperate and tense, and what Metal said, you have more said goals occuring.

You guys really are something. The sooner you accept the fact the game isnt out to get you, the more youll enjoy it and the faster youll get better at it because youll be accountable for the mistakes you make.

What's the reason the last minute lasts longer than any other minute in the game? Could it be that the devs want more to happen during the last minute, like you know, more goals and stuff? And is that where this stops at?

It's pretty hard to accept the 'mistakes' we make, when there is no logical reason for these mistakes... automatic stuff that works most of the time, but not all the time. The inconsistency of things like whiffing a slapshot even when you're perfectly positioned, or letting in a soft goal when you were in perfect position and stance as the goalie. There's nothing more you could have done, so it seems the game just wanted the goal at that point.

Or not being able to pick up the puck, the puck just becomes untouchable for period, no matter how many players try to get it. Or what about the looping and taking away scored goals, what was our mistake there? Buying the game? :|

It may be there aren't any intentional mechanisms out there to get us, but until EA sorts out the hot mess this game is right now, it sure gets us all the time. Not that I am holding my breath here, because the game seems to be getting worse, not better. Maybe next year, eh Bunny?

• VeNOM2099
    2958 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    P.S.

And don't even get me STARTED on if you decide to hug the post while going down on one knee... Hooooooooooooooly Shhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit is it painfully slow and clunky!! Not to mention if you want to come off the post in butterfly save, most times it pops you about 2 feet away from the post, leaving a WONDERFUL gap for shooters standing by the net to put one past you. Sometimes it shoots you to the top or the other side of your crease.

It's SO much fun to hug your posts in this game! That's why you see every competitive goalie do it so much!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!
  • OMG that sounds like a horrible design decision on how the post hug works... That's awful.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    P.S.

And don't even get me STARTED on if you decide to hug the post while going down on one knee... Hooooooooooooooly Shhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit is it painfully slow and clunky!! Not to mention if you want to come off the post in butterfly save, most times it pops you about 2 feet away from the post, leaving a WONDERFUL gap for shooters standing by the net to put one past you. Sometimes it shoots you to the top or the other side of your crease.

It's SO much fun to hug your posts in this game! That's why you see every competitive goalie do it so much!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

reason why only time i post hug now is during wraps and only RVH hugs. standing up hug is broken ❤️❤️❤️❤️, bc u can be standing up hugging and there are times if they shoot from no angle from the goaline shortside low, goalie will go into this wierd standing up hug the chest animation and let puck through. posted videos on some other thread a while back about it.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    CrushNHL wrote: »

This one is worthy of a:
    download_2.jpg

Any time you’re ready to play, just let me know.
    ;)
    Post edited by CrushNHL on
  • Where are all the times you didn't get scored on in the last minute, eh bud? :kissing_heart:
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Where are all the times you didn't get scored on in the last minute, eh bud? :kissing_heart:

love this
  • When I last played FIFA (2 or 3 years ago), any shot in the last minute of a half had a MUCH better chance of going in. I mean you could take 1 step and shoot from half, and you had a pretty good chance.

No surprise that NHL has the same "feature" baked in.
    EASHL player
  • When I last played FIFA (2 or 3 years ago), any shot in the last minute of a half had a MUCH better chance of going in. I mean you could take 1 step and shoot from half, and you had a pretty good chance.

No surprise that NHL has the same "feature" baked in.

There's no proof it exists for either game just people complaining about it existing. There is just evidence of variable difficulty for offline play in the code of fifa.