EA Forums - Banner

When Goalies were Goalies

Prev134
VeNOM2099
3178 posts Member
edited November 2017

Ah... I remember when actual skill in nets meant something. I mean, sure, the animations and movements were not very realistic, but just look at how goalies could keep up with the shooters back then. Save animations were smooth and precise. Going from the post, to the top of your crease, back to the post to the other post was lightning fast and responsive.

Heck, I was rocking a 6'0" 198 Lbs, 71 OVR goalie back then. I was moving all over my crease and making big saves! Most other "competitive" goalies in LG built themselves a towering 6'9" 175 Lbs, 78 OVR goalie and parked him in the middle of his crease all game long.

Man I miss those days... :(

Don't get me wrong, NHL 18 goalies are improved from NHL 17. But nothing like what we used to be able to do. Being a goalie meant being useful to your team back then.

Replies

• Ya mate the whole game has gone downhill from a competitive perspective, and it's due to you and others droning on about how this game needs to be more realistic.

It's funny you've wanted more realism for years and now when they make goalies a little more realistic than they were in the past you want them to go back.

Game used to be less realistic but it was a lot more fun. Just like your old goalies, eh bud? ;)

• Problem is, what we got is not more realistic; Random =/= Realism. Lack of Control =/= Realism. Auto-Assistance =/= Realism.

What we wanted is something that makes sense most of the time. NHL 14 rarely made sense. As I said, the movements and animations in the game sometimes needed you to suspend your sense of belief. And that was the problem.
  • When you play the top of the crease now, coach feedback calls it careless wandering.
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I miss the old casters too, I can't stand Doc Emrick and his fake enthusiasm in this game. Only reedming quality for play by play now is Ray Ferrero, other two are total garbage. Been playing with them on mute for the last 2 years.

Gameplay wise everything looks so smooth back then compared to now. The animations for goalies are more or so still the same but just feels clunky compared to old gen. Idk why they can't just make the movements smooth like old gen, since animations are pretty much still the exact same. Imagine playing with those smooth movements plus having RVH post hugs? Maybe in 2020.

Anyone know how the sales were for the game this year? Didn't Rammer allocating most of the resources to 3s instead of improving gameplay since he thought it will bring in more casuals players to the game? Yet people online has been the lowest I seen ever, really think its time for him to go and Ben to be the lead producer for this series.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Ya mate the whole game has gone downhill from a competitive perspective, and it's due to you and others droning on about how this game needs to be more realistic.

It's funny you've wanted more realism for years and now when they make goalies a little more realistic than they were in the past you want them to go back.

Game used to be less realistic but it was a lot more fun. Just like your old goalies, eh bud? ;)

Mate

MY REALISM doesn't allow pucks, sticks, to physically pass through other objects

MY REALISM doesn't allow a AI goalie to pass the puck (to the stick tappers) through 2,3,4 guys legs (guys crashing the net) to an open player

MY REALISM doesn't make puck pick ups a comedy act

MY REALISM doesn't allow a invincibility bubble around a player that is holding the RS to either side and gliding

• Here's a good one:

Let's analyse this for a second. I come out to make a save, puck stays in front of my pads. I mash the Y button to cover, goalie misses once, twice. Then an opposing player THRUSTS the puck through me (along with his hockey stick). Puck comes to rest behind me. While still mashing Y to cover the puck, goalie starts to lie backwards to smother the puck under him. But another opposing player THRUSTS his stick through my torso, hitting the puck and pushing it into the net.

What can I do here? Nothing. I'm at the mercy of the game's animations which are automated at this point. Nothing I do, none of my inputs matters.

Here's another example of how the goalies now are NOT rewarding:

Granted, the opposing player is on a breakaway. But I followed him in correctly. He gets his stupid "lateral acceleration boost" b*llsh*t that allows him to swing much wider and faster than a normal skater with the puck would. Does my goalie stretch out a limb to cover the open part of the net? Of course not! He tucks his limbs close to his body and allows the shot to go through. EXACTLY like a real goalie would!!

(BTW, I'm being sarcastic on that last part).

Not only that, but the shot goes low glove and the goalie does a high glove/shoulder shrug save attempt... ****??

This game is anything but realistic and playing goalie (although better than last year) is still not as fun as it should be.

Oh, and one last thing. Check this pick below:

LkKg9HXIQtOhOtubiq1SpA.png

To the Genius at EA who designed the game to allow WHITE GOAL POSTS ON A WHITE ICE SURFACE... I hope you slip on a banana peel and land head first in a mound of dinosaur droppings... :p
  • Jeez that does look way worse than last gen. Game is getting worse as the tech gets better.
  • on that breakaway goal... even if u timed it perfectly with the shooter and go into rvh hug (both triggers) that side it still would have been a goal. would have gotten that exact stupid animation along the post and he would have tucked it above ur shoulders. i wish there as another animation when you time it perfectly and go into rvh post hug in these situations instead of that lil push shoulder up animation that never works even when u time it perfectly with the shooter. only way to stop that is to you have to commit to that side way before the shooter does, and good players will just go far side when you do that...pretty much a lose lose situation unless you poke dive like an idiot since it has the best chance of stopping these types of plays.
  • I totally agree on that Mile Emrick. It's not that great, he has a lot of trash phrases he keeps saying. Sometimes it feels too much that he's just playing it. It's nowhere close to how he is in real life matches. Commentary wasn't updated enough since nhl 15. There was an update in 16 but It wasn't anything big. They should have already update him in 17 so he'd call most of the player names when they score not just some. Also those annoying and terrible celebrations in 17 were really bad and felt like a joke.

b9dca786a4a5884026d6c3233cbd7e61cc608f24_hq.gif
  • Stick clips the pad making it invisible to collision detection and thus allows the puck through as well. Puck should never be able to ignore collisions.
  • SolidSnakeOil31
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

You moved ever so slightly, therefore, the animation of you running to the bench kicked in and they scored an empty net goal. /s
  • I hate this game
  • New this year.. invisible pads. :)
  • New this year.. invisible pads. :)

New Vaughn VPG Ventus Clouds! They're lighter than air... Because they ARE AIR!! Need the best pads to stop pucks? Well too bad! Cuz pucks will go through you... Dummy!
  • I really do believe it's as simple as the algorithm that allows sticks to contact the puck and also go through legs, goalies and other sticks failing. It seems like the puck is also effected by this algorithm when it shouldn't be.

The one constant I notice in these videos of pucks going through goalies is that a stick is almost always also going through them. Seems to be a correlation to me.
  • This doesn't speak to human goalies, but EA still also hasn't fixed when a goalie is hugging post, and CPU powers to the net coming from behind and to the side, the goalie F'ing actually scoots away from post giving an opening for the AI to score. It's happened a bunch of times this year already and ruined huge games for me. I still haven't gotten around to posting it in bugs though. But had to vent about it. EA is insane.
  • I really do believe it's as simple as the algorithm that allows sticks to contact the puck and also go through legs, goalies and other sticks failing. It seems like the puck is also effected by this algorithm when it shouldn't be.

The one constant I notice in these videos of pucks going through goalies is that a stick is almost always also going through them. Seems to be a correlation to me.

Pucks go through pads (especially "underneath" the pad, as in that video) all the time without a stick hitting the goalie.
  • Nice...

wDb5sOIhQYaSCbliSc4LWg.png

And this was during an OFFICIAL Leaguegaming game. The other team made the goal posts WHITE so that I'd have trouble knowing where the net was behind me. GGs EA...
  • If you blame your bad play on white goal posts you've got bigger things to worry about, eh bud? :kissing_heart: