EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Can’t win a game

Prev134
Can’t get away from my own net, can’t generate any offence, can’t keep hold of the puck, can’t string 2 passes together, spend every single game defending and trying to block shots. I’m lost, I’m frustrated, I give up. 1-54-2 online record.
Cue all the idiots telling me I’m just crap at the game.

Replies

• Im on a 25+ win streak in this CS. Nothing wrong with the game. Practice, watch tutorials and games on YouTube,etc.
  • I never said anything was wrong with the game, I’ve watched hundreds of yt videos and played 100’s of games.
  • Maybe you are just a slow learner.

Try changing your strategies and play a few games where you just study your opponent if he is better than you, then play som offline games and try it out vs the computer so you get a hold of it.
  • Have you played offline against A.I. with online settings (can't remember exact name for it)?

Does it feel different how your team plays compared to online? Are players reacting faster to your inputs? If that's the case, maybe you are suffering from bad connection which results a fat man lag. It makes online games very frustrating and gives your opponent a huge advantage.
  • It’s not a connection issue I just can’t get my head around the game. I watch yt videos and people have acres of space and can cycle the puck around. I can’t keep the puck long enough to generate any offence.
    I really enjoy the game, I’ve been a fifa player for 20+ years but grew sick of it and decided to try nhl instead. Games are fast paced and exciting, very dis-heartening tho to put so much into a game and still be on the end of beatings constantly.
  • Finch1965
    256 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe you should play some offline games for a while on the semi-pro and pro level. When you able to win every game on these levels you can start with online gaming. You will not climb high in the ranks but it will be sufficient enough to let you win here and there and with some luck even win a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ in division 8-10.

To be competetive in the stronger devision you need dominate the AI on pro and you should be able to win games on the allstar level. And later on, when you want to play against D1-2 you should be able to win on superstar as well (not every game but about 50%).

This is at least what I ahev experinced over the year. You ability to beat the computer gives you some kind of indication about your estimated performance in the online leagues. As long you can not wins games on Pro, even most of the games in the lower divisions will be very difficult. In the mid level division 4-7 you find a lot of experienced players, who may not have the full potential to beat the big guys but these guys can play, too. And even in the minor leagues you will have to play against people with real ultimate teams. So dont be suprised when you have to deal with Oveckin, Crosby, Kucherov etc. in D9 or D10 as well.

So take a step back for a while and do offline league or offline friendly games. In addition you shoud you the training camp mode to improve you skills and to get a better understanding for the controller functions.
  • Lo and behold I’ve tried a more Defense minded strategy and won 3 in a row on seasons.

1-0
    6-1
    4-3 OT win

• those who are "good" at this game master the exploits. Nothing to do with skill.
  • Finch1965 wrote: »
    Maybe you should play some offline games for a while on the semi-pro and pro level. When you able to win every game on these levels you can start with online gaming. You will not climb high in the ranks but it will be sufficient enough to let you win here and there and with some luck even win a **** in division 8-10.

To be competetive in the stronger devision you need dominate the AI on pro and you should be able to win games on the allstar level. And later on, when you want to play against D1-2 you should be able to win on superstar as well (not every game but about 50%).

This is at least what I ahev experinced over the year. You ability to beat the computer gives you some kind of indication about your estimated performance in the online leagues. As long you can not wins games on Pro, even most of the games in the lower divisions will be very difficult. In the mid level division 4-7 you find a lot of experienced players, who may not have the full potential to beat the big guys but these guys can play, too. And even in the minor leagues you will have to play against people with real ultimate teams. So dont be suprised when you have to deal with Oveckin, Crosby, Kucherov etc. in D9 or D10 as well.

So take a step back for a while and do offline league or offline friendly games. In addition you shoud you the training camp mode to improve you skills and to get a better understanding for the controller functions.

Playing offline vs. the AI's is stupid. All this does is give you a false sense that you're good. Play Superstar level and you'll find out quickly that the AI cheats.
  • Could be the mud skates where your players are useless, cant handle passes...happens sometimes and at some different times
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    those who are "good" at this game master the exploits. Nothing to do with skill.

Well, it takes skills to master something. If you give your opponent the chance to exploit, it’s your fault, learn how to defend against the exploits. Personally i don’t call it exploits because it doesn’t work 100% of the time, it’s just high percentage scoring shots.

• Progress:
    6-4-0 in my last 10 seasons games. Starting each game with the most defensive strategies and using the first period to gauge how good my opponent is, strategy changes as the game progresses and becoming more aggressive and attack minded. Coming back from 3-0 down to win in OT was the perfect example of adapting to the game as it was played. Spotting patterns and tendency’s in the other players style.
  • Finch1965 wrote: »
    Maybe you should play some offline games for a while on the semi-pro and pro level. When you able to win every game on these levels you can start with online gaming. You will not climb high in the ranks but it will be sufficient enough to let you win here and there and with some luck even win a **** in division 8-10.

This is the best advice.
  • I recently got the game and starting off I played very very well because I've been playing the games since NHL 11. I defeated 9 divisions in and 1 hour or 2 and did competitive seasons and won 4 games (2 of them quit). I made 6 people quit in a row and I won 6 more games after that. My team had the Ice Patrick Kane and other decent players. But, now I don't know what went wrong. 2 days after defeating those divisions I got a better team which has (Ice) Kane, Gaudreau, Schwartz, and an 89 Stamkos, (Ice) Malkin and I'm working on my way to getting an (ice) Kucherov. After I had this team and started playing games I noticed that the game was harder and they would always steal the puck from me. I quite like 4 games in a row. Then I wanted to take a break from online and started doing the Canada hockey camp which I completed in 6 mins. Then I played a few games against the CPU on pro and destroyed teams 10-0. Then I switched it to all star mode and lost. I replayed the game in a total of 10 times trying to beat the computer but I couldn't. However, when I first got the game I was able to beat the CPU on all-star 3-0 or 3-1. This has been starting to ❤️❤️❤️❤️ me off how I played well at the beginning with a kind of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ team but now with a good team I cant win a single game and doing the hockey camp and playing a bunch of games offline on Pro and All-Star doesn't help me at all. I honestly don't know what the hell to do and I've also watched youtube videos too.
  • You have just described this game in it's entirety. The defenders will tell you to just get better, but everyone has felt this way at some point. It is just the way the game is.
  • I just had a ridiculous “Ice Tilt” game. First 5 minutes I dominated the game from faceoff to pressure. Scored 2 goals on my first 3 shots....then boom. I didn’t win another faceoff, his guys became super powered. Twice as fast and strong as my guys. His Slepyschev was knocking my Chelios off the puck skating around guys and scoring goals. I couldn’t pass for crap and the puck was like a magnet and glued to his stick. He scored 5 goals on his next 9 shots and I lost 5-3. It was like two different games were played. One in the first five minutes and one the rest of the way. Oh well fortunately it only happens once every 3-4 games but it will take me 3 wins now to make up the points lost in 1 loss but that’s EA competitve season math
  • sctty98
    291 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I had a game that was actually fun yesterday. The guy I played basically had the same team as me. There was no ice tilt for either of us. Just a straight up game. And now I dropped 1500 spots.because of ice tilt.
    Post edited by sctty98 on
  • Ugh....I just outshot a guy 42-9 and spent the majority of the game watching his goalie make great saves. Meanwhile I lose 3-1. He scored 2 floaters with the step over the line shoot and pray and then I poke checked a puck off of him from the left faceoff circle that slowly slid toward my net and I watched it go in as my goalie doesn’t even move. Dropped 1200+ spots with not much time left in the CS. So tired of the garbage. I easily lose half my games because of garbage rather then being flat out beaten.
  • I started HUT up this year for the first time since 13. The more I play the more I see how blatantly scripted outcomes are. I’m finding that ratings don’t mean jack squat. It’s whatever the server scripts for that particular match. I’ve never felt more handicapped playing a video game than I have trying HUT back up this season.

It’s funny because people are complaining about the exact same thing in FUT & MUT, which are bigger titles than this one. Feel free to google “ea sports scripted”. There are tons upon tons of complaints about how rigged games are in these “pay to win” environments. Quite a few videos legit proving their points too.

I was a top 5 EASHL defender for 3 years running prior to last season ( didn’t play as much last year) on XBox. I don’t suck at hockey. It’s not an issue of skill.

If I want to win a game, I know exactly what to do. Refuse to play actual hockey & just get my players to the same spot to shoot the exact same slapshot & score the exact same goal, over and over and over, regardless of the difficulty rating or opponent. The moment I play actual hockey, my team takes a dumpster dive of futility & head scratching stupidity.

My main HUT team? 99, 99, 97 rated.

HUT is rigged. It’s so insanely blatant.
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Yep I keep getting duped because I have normal games but then I’m reminded of the ❤️❤️❤️❤️. This is my second round in a row of CS where I was ranked below 1000 then in the last 12 hours I drop 6-7 games in a row despite outplaying my opponent big time . I haven’t given up more than 9 shots a game and lost them all despite out playing, out possessing, out attack time, and outshooting opponent big time. My goalies just let in the weakest goals. My opponent has glue on their sticks.....the worst part is you can actually see and feel it unfold. So stupid. Why do they do this?