EA Forums - Banner

Input delay, monitor vs TV.

Prev1
So I recently upgraded from my TV to a monitor for gaming on and while it's primarily used for pc I also play NHL Legacy on it as well.

I immediately noticed the lack of input delay both on pc and Xbox. It was substantial. It was more beneficial on the pc side but it definitely helps make everything a lot more crisp on the 360 side as well.

Perhaps this is something to consider if you are having a lot of input delay issues.

Replies

• did the same thing, but have noticed 0 improvement. But then again, I'm from the West coast and the servers seem to screw us more than Easterners...
  • I'm also playing offline only as I don't have a paid Xbox Live account anymore.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Usually, you get more input delay when you play on a TV than a PC Monitor. However, there are a few TV models that offer near Montior like performance.

If you want to find out which are the best TVs out there with the least amount of delay, head over to Dislplaylag .com (Take out the space before the dot.... Otherwise forum doesn't post this... go fig). They have a huge database of TVs and Monitor and their response time. Mind you the numbers there show you REAL response time, not g2g response time (grey to grey) like manufacturers do. Any Monitor with 9-10ms response time is excellent. For HDTVs anything around the 15-21ms mark is what you should be looking for.
  • BSDShoes
    114 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    If you game on a TV be sure to turn off the post-processnig stuff (like cinema mode, motion enhance, whitening, etc) and some TV's has a specific gaming mode. My Sony 48" is great and hardly noticeable delay (I think it's roughly ~14ms).
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Ive had a 42" sony bravia for like 8 years ive played nhl on. I got a 1ms gaming monitor earlier this year and dont see any difference, but maybe im just dense and dont see the little differences.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Ive had a 42" sony bravia for like 8 years ive played nhl on. I got a 1ms gaming monitor earlier this year and dont see any difference, but maybe im just dense and dont see the little differences.

For me it was a huge difference. I noticed it first with the pc games I play and while it was a smaller change on the Xbox it was still substantial.
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    B-Bunny wrote: »

It wouldn't be a 'see' thing it would be a 'feel' thing. Also the 1 ms doesn't mean anything in regards to input lag. Manufacturers just use that number as it looks better to the average consumer.

I mean we're talking "milliseconds" here... It's not something you can feel during casual play, but for some who are really into competitive gaming it can be a crucial aspect. I remember an important Street Fighter 4 tournament a few years back that had some drama because the monitors they were using monitors with more delay than some pros were comfortable with...
  • Let's beeeeee honest, they need to add a central server.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I mean we're talking "milliseconds" here... It's not something you can feel during casual play, but for some who are really into competitive gaming it can be a crucial aspect. I remember an important Street Fighter 4 tournament a few years back that had some drama because the monitors they were using monitors with more delay than some pros were comfortable with...

Even as bad as I am at counter strike about as far from a pro player as you can possibly be. I noticed immediately the difference in the response of my mouse to what I saw on screen. Everything became crisp and precise.

My delay was especially bad though.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited December 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Right, but I play NHL hardcore enough and see more casual people say they notice a big difference just on nhl.

I can distinguish the difference from input lag and like ghosting from quick movements. I just havent noticed a difference at all lol.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Yeah, well again, it all depends on what your level of play and tolerance is. Understanding what input lag is and getting a good display that minimizes it helps you get the best experience possible.
    Yeah, well again, it all depends on what your level of play and tolerance is. Understanding what input lag is and getting a good display that minimizes it helps you get the best experience possible.

I was oblivious to the level of delay I was playing with as I had only ever played on a TV. The second I played on my new monitor it was night and day. The difference is staggering.
    Yeah, well again, it all depends on what your level of play and tolerance is. Understanding what input lag is and getting a good display that minimizes it helps you get the best experience possible.

I was oblivious to the level of delay I was playing with as I had only ever played on a TV. The second I played on my new monitor it was night and day. The difference is staggering.

I have 0 issues on my plasma tv.

Also, what helps is setting your tv to 720p instead of 1080i for those that don't have 1080p. 1080i should never be used, even for watching tv (you will know why if you watch a football game and see that 80 yard pass)
  • ^^^ Plasma is where it's at, you'll never get better motion from any lcd/led tv

Because you all ready have a good gaming TV....Sony,which has a gaming mode.

THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni

With most console games you won't notice that much of a difference, but with PC games you will see it no doubt. Some people even notice a difference between a 1ms and 4ms monitor, in CSGO it's actually apparent if you've played that game for a long time.
  • BSDShoes wrote: »

With most console games you won't notice that much of a difference, but with PC games you will see it no doubt. Some people even notice a difference between a 1ms and 4ms monitor, in CSGO it's actually apparent if you've played that game for a long time.

This is not true at all. First of all when you refer to 1ms and 4ms, that is response time for how fast the pixels can change colours / shades. It has nothing to do with input lag. There is a huge difference for consoles; generally older HD TV's have less processing features then newer ones out today. Using a 'game mode' shuts most of that stuff off. Generally if you get a good gaming monitor, none of those features even exist and also have additional features to try and assist in input lag. TV's are made for watching, most of the companies don't cater to console gaming players, besides their 'game mode' which will help but not maximize what gaming monitors now a days are built to do; play games.
  • drally20 wrote: »
    BSDShoes wrote: »

This is not true at all. First of all when you refer to 1ms and 4ms, that is response time for how fast the pixels can change colours / shades. It has nothing to do with input lag. There is a huge difference for consoles; generally older HD TV's have less processing features then newer ones out today. Using a 'game mode' shuts most of that stuff off. Generally if you get a good gaming monitor, none of those features even exist and also have additional features to try and assist in input lag. TV's are made for watching, most of the companies don't cater to console gaming players, besides their 'game mode' which will help but not maximize what gaming monitors now a days are built to do; play games.

That response time still makes a difference. If you look at the actual input delay numbers of 1ms vs 4ms there's a difference.
  • drally20 wrote: »
    BSDShoes wrote: »

That response time still makes a difference. If you look at the actual input delay numbers of 1ms vs 4ms there's a difference.

In a way, yes. As a pixel is inactive when it’s black, and active when it’s white, it means that a picture needs to be visible before you can react to what’s on the screen. The faster the response time of a display is, the quicker it can display an image. The quicker it does that, the quicker you can react to it. However, you reacting and the reaction happening on your screen is what the input lag is. TV's do not have tests for this, or do them at all most likely. They just have a game mode option that shuts off processing features that will slow down the reaction time. Gaming monitor companies have jumped on this market, since TV's don't care. They don't have all the needless features, and add in features to help it even more. There are even console specific gaming monitors out there, that's how far it's come in the last six years.