EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Real-World Physics in Video Games

Prev134567

This guy makes some good points on how games with less real-world physics are more fun that their simulation counterparts. EA should really think about that in the long run.

Replies

• Why would they think about that in the long run when everyone here tells them they want the game to be 'more realistic'? :dizzy:
  • Still depends on the game. Some games are more fun as arcades. I wouldn't want Mario Kart to be a sim of driving carts. That said I wouldn't want games like forza, gt, pcars, assetto corsa, etc to be arcade like mario kart or diddy kong racing.

He said he likes nba jam over modern basketball. That's like me saying i prefer nhl hitz over ea's nhl. These are two totally different games one billed as more realistic and one is arcade. Both can be fun if they are designed well.

Arma has a lot of realistic aspects to it and it is very fun just like goldeneye is fun while not being realistic.
  • I’m happy the game is realistic. I don’t want anything less then that. I love the physics in this series and they can only get better. I’m not gonna lie, if the AI lays a devastating check on me, I will sometimes feel my chest cave in, I kid u not.

Back to NHL 18
  • I don't mind some of the realism either. However, I do have a problem when the physics engine works crispy for one team (other guy) and wonky and clunky for the other team (me). If EA would fix the internet problem I'd probably be just fine as long as the physics are even on both sides.
  • I don't mind some of the realism either. However, I do have a problem when the physics engine works crispy for one team (other guy) and wonky and clunky for the other team (me). If EA would fix the internet problem I'd probably be just fine as long as the physics are even on both sides.

Idk, I used to feel the same way you do but I think that's just bias. I think the game does wonky stuff to both teams and we only notice it when it hurts or benefits us.
  • j0rtsu67
    455 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't mind some of the realism either. However, I do have a problem when the physics engine works crispy for one team (other guy) and wonky and clunky for the other team (me). If EA would fix the internet problem I'd probably be just fine as long as the physics are even on both sides.

Idk, I used to feel the same way you do but I think that's just bias. I think the game does wonky stuff to both teams and we only notice it when it hurts or benefits us.
    Well I (and I'm sure many of us) notice it in both ways. Of course it is more frustrating when it goes against you though.
    NLucaj31 wrote: »
    I’m happy the game is realistic. I don’t want anything less then that. I love the physics in this series and they can only get better. I’m not gonna lie, if the AI lays a devastating check on me, I will sometimes feel my chest cave in, I kid u not.

Back to NHL 18
    That's 100% correct, I kid u not. ;)
  • EA won’t think about any suggestion for this game anyway unless involves a way to make more money in HUT. It is the sole focus of this franchise for years now and offline gamers who want to play franchise mode or season mode suffer for it with modes that have barely been updated in years and are filled with bugs, legacy issues, and poor AI.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I would be really happy IF we have the real world physics in the game.

Just to clarify, I don't think that the physics we have in the game is terrible. It's just stuck somewhere in the middle and not getting really any better from NHL 15, thus of course feel very outdated and limited, like almost everything in this game.
  • I would be really happy IF we have the real world physics in the game.

Just to clarify, I don't think that the physics we have in the game is terrible. It's just stuck somewhere in the middle and not getting really any better from NHL 15, thus of course feel very outdated and limited, like almost everything in this game.

Maybe you should actually play the game - then you might notice a difference between NHL 15 and NHL 18.
  • I would be really happy IF we have the real world physics in the game.

Maybe you should actually play the game - then you might notice a difference between NHL 15 and NHL 18.

If you're buying I'll play it. If not I'm alright.
  • Still want stick on stick
  • Hmmmm..........I still think we need to bring back the small things!
    ThunderBay OutLaws / [OWNER][CAPTAIN]
  • Still depends on the game. Some games are more fun as arcades. I wouldn't want Mario Kart to be a sim of driving carts. That said I wouldn't want games like forza, gt, pcars, assetto corsa, etc to be arcade like mario kart or diddy kong racing.

He said he likes nba jam over modern basketball. That's like me saying i prefer nhl hitz over ea's nhl. These are two totally different games one billed as more realistic and one is arcade. Both can be fun if they are designed well.

Arma has a lot of realistic aspects to it and it is very fun just like goldeneye is fun while not being realistic.

NHL hitz was a blast! Put some sliders on that, and it actually plays a more true to hockey experience than then new games I'd say. Cycling required, possession rewarded, consistent game mechanics and controls.

Wish they'd make a new one!
  • GoSens37 wrote: »
    Still depends on the game. Some games are more fun as arcades. I wouldn't want Mario Kart to be a sim of driving carts. That said I wouldn't want games like forza, gt, pcars, assetto corsa, etc to be arcade like mario kart or diddy kong racing.

NHL hitz was a blast! Put some sliders on that, and it actually plays a more true to hockey experience than then new games I'd say. Cycling required, possession rewarded, consistent game mechanics and controls.

Iirc midway is no more. :disappointed:
    Still depends on the game. Some games are more fun as arcades. I wouldn't want Mario Kart to be a sim of driving carts. That said I wouldn't want games like forza, gt, pcars, assetto corsa, etc to be arcade like mario kart or diddy kong racing.

It's interesting that some perceive fun and over the top as "more true to hockey" while others feel a system which more closely mimics real world physics would be more true to the sport.

It goes to show that the guys making this game need to fight with the balance of both worlds to please the largest consumer base that they can.

Something to keep in mind when critiquing the design decisions made by the team.

It's interesting that some perceive fun and over the top as "more true to hockey" while others feel a system which more closely mimics real world physics would be more true to the sport.

It goes to show that the guys making this game need to fight with the balance of both worlds to please the largest consumer base that they can.

Something to keep in mind when critiquing the design decisions made by the team.

This is why I say pick one and do it, don't try to do both. When you try to do sim and arcade together you end up with something in the middle that isn't as good as either full bore would have been.

This is also why I don't really like major corporations, they are all about pleasing everyone. I say let the devs make the game they really want without shareholders and consumers who are all over the spectrum having as much say.

Games like escape from tarkov, prison architect, road redemption, Intruder, Beamng.drive, overgrowth, kingdom come: deliverance and others all have devs who know exactly what they want from their game. They ask the community for help achieving those goals and making a fun game.

It may be cruel or "unfair" I say pick arcade or sim and if the other side gets angry so be it, too effing bad. Trying to appease everyone just ends up making both sides unhappy. At least with my solution one side would know they wouldn't be happy with the product.

Iirc midway is no more. :disappointed:

No, but the license passed over to Netherealms Studios. I doubt they'd ever want to make an HITZ/BLITZ game again, but who knows...
  • Hmmmm..........I still think we need to bring back the small things!
    ThunderBay OutLaws / [OWNER][CAPTAIN]

Have you played NHL hitz PRO (5v5)? The offer full slider support like NHL 18. Turn game speed down, puck collision/interceptions up, turn hitting power down and puck retention down, and you literally get a game that plays like real hockey. Where my sliders are, there's few checks through the glass or that reuslt in a backwards flip. very light hitting but it gets the job done.

At the end of the day, fluid/responsive controls and outcomes where skill feel involved 90% of the time will always have more supporters and players than the oppostie of those things. I see floaty skating as some of you guys here have referenced and it really doesn't bother me as long as the puck being moved, shot, passed, and the way the game is played feels like hockey. I guess that's why I align more with the people who praise pre-TPS games. The games were fluid, fast, skill-based way more than now imo, and allowed creativity.

Skating in straight lines while sauce passing the puck into a crowd of 10 people and poking the puck till the goalie eventually does some weird animation to let the puck in doesn't scream realism to me, but hey, to each their own eh?
    Have you played NHL hitz PRO (5v5)? The offer full slider support like NHL 18. Turn game speed down, puck collision/interceptions up, turn hitting power down and puck retention down, and you literally get a game that plays like real hockey. Where my sliders are, there's few checks through the glass or that reuslt in a backwards flip. very light hitting but it gets the job done.

So, you're willing to accept things like "checks through the glass" and "backwards flips" still contesting that NHL HITZ is REAL HOCKEY.

But, in a game like NHL 18 where - at the most - you need to accept things like the A.I. making an incorrect adjustment or a puck with 10 pixels going through a goalie pad and all of a sudden EA SPORTS NHL isn't nearly as real as NHL HITZ?

Give me a break.

The biggest difference between NHL HITZ and NHL 18 (aside from the glaring element of arcade vs sim) is that NHL HITZ offers zero online competition. This significantly cuts down on the 'issues' raised because there aren't any egos being effected.

Once some players take a hit to the online 'ego' that they carry, they instantly become resentful of the title that caused them that grief.