EA Forums - Banner

New 1.05 patch - Everything that is missing & what we need

Prev13
DyreLogan
6 posts Member
edited December 2017
Throughout all my EA NHL gaming over the years, I have never had such a bad experience with playing the sport. Before the "patch" this game was slightly playable. Goalies still coughed up goal after goal (mostly cheap ones), which is crazy because these goalies are supposed to be professional players yet they play like they're in Pee Wee leagues. And yes, I have the sliders pushed all the way to the right to make the goalies harder to score on and also lowered the shot accuracy to like 40% to make the game more realistic.

This new patch, however, is absolutely horrible. I don't know why they say that there is a new tuner. They say they update the tuner several times, but it is still v1.00 on my end (even though it has gone through multiple tuner updates that have been applied). The real problem I am having with this garbage of a game is the penalties. I have them set at 50/50 (or 2/4) to make it even on whether you get a penalty or not. All the settings are set to realistic and not arcade. Yet for some reason, on this newest patch, I accumulate something like 12+ penalties a game? I have never gotten over 5-6 penalties in the game since I have been playing EA NHL games. Now, after this crappy "update" the computer is on the power play most of the game for stupid calls on me.

Not to mention, the computer hardly EVER gets penalties. What the heck is that!? I thought this game was an accurate representation of NHL? Why is it that the computer is set to the most gentlemanly style of play EVER in this game? They hardly ever get penalties. The ones they DO get are the ones where I am taking a slap shot and they try to block my shot and they end up tripping me 1 time out of 50.

I think it's an ok game, for the most part (would love to see KHL in the lineup one of these years, but I doubt it due to licensing. Plus I would like to see more logos and team names and countries (where is Bangkok and some other cities? Yes, Bangkok actually has hockey teams and even leagues... one of their teams is the Flying Farangs).

This game used to be decent to play, but after this trash 1.05 corruptdate, I don't even like playing it. I am planning on downloading NHL 17 again as that one was at least better in many ways. Yes, the computer hardly ever got penalties in 17, and 16, and 15 and probably even 14 and 13, and I would like to know if EA is ever going to make this game more enjoyable and accurate. No plexiglass breaking. No too many men on the ice penalty. I am guessing they did away with the goalie delay of game penalty because of shooting the puck over the glass because goalies have done that plenty of times in the games I have played but not one penalty was issued. I have other gripes, but these will have to do. Oh! How come we can't START franchises with minor league teams or other leagues?

I will probably be slammed by people on here who don't think what I stated above applies to them, and if they don't and you are having a perfect game play, then this post is not for you and I ask that you be decent and pass it on by. The penalties are a problem after the new patch, that much is certain. The game is no longer fun for me because of that. It's like EA got rid of the HOCKEY aspect in this hockey game, like poke checking and checking. Now I get boarding penalties and game misconducts for doing the same things I have always done. I got two game misconducts in the same game in just a few minutes of each other! That has NEVER happened before in ANY NHL game I have played over the years.

I like the game. I like the fast paced action. But they did do away with the FUN aspect of the game with this new patch. I'd rather play baseball or something than play this. I am barely 13 games into a franchise season where I would be at least 20-30 at this point. That's how bad this game has been for me. NHL 17 was more enjoyable in many ways, while this is faster paced and has a few more, better, features. But the penalties and chain link fence goalies letting BB's through has to be patched pronto! Please fix the game. Actually give me a tuner as I am still stuck on v1.00 for some reason and cannot scroll through previous or newer tuners. Hope everything gets addressed soon.
Post edited by EA_Roger on

Replies

• I read all of that!
  • I’m going to be honest I couldn’t read that whole thing but I agree. My personal experience is the game seems the same to me, maybe worse. It took so long for that patch and to have it do so little to nothing is a big disappointment....but Disappointnrnt...”it’s in the game”..by the time they fix this game it will be nearing NHL19.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    The latest update didn't effect goalies or cause more penalties. Here's a link to the patch notes so you can see what was actually changed: https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/146691/nhl-18-patch-tuner-notes-updated-december-7th-2017#latest
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    jake19ny wrote: »
    I’m going to be honest I couldn’t read that whole thing but I agree.

Come on people - don't jump to conclusions based on headlines or whatever content you chose to absorb.

Be objective when reading opinions and headlines.

In regards to OP, the patch didn't change any of the things you're talking about, so I'd suggest you had these issues prior to the patch as well.

Your main gripe is that you're taking a lot of penalties.

Again, you're all going to hate me for this but I think in this specific scenario especially it holds true; Are you sure you're not just mashing poke check and stick lift - thus resulting in the large amount of penalties?

Give us some examples or, even better - some video, to show us what calls are being made and point out why they shouldn't have been called.

Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Is everyone figuring out that this game isn't sim yet? The RVH is barely in the game for goalies, players still can't face the puck, PP/PK strategies that are almost universally used in the real NHL aren't in the game, there's a blatant lack of penalties from AI opponents, the AI is still painful to watch on all difficuties with any strategy implemented...

And seriously guys, can we get a few 10,000 more videos to "prove" that these well-documented problems exist? Like seriously, we're better than that guys. @Bmh245 help this man out and post another couple thousand videos because these problems aren't "proven" lol.

Also, I like how the DSS goes through legs consistiently, but it's not consistiently a penalty. Who wants consistiency when playing a game!?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    GoSens37 wrote: »
    Also, I like how the DSS goes through legs consistiently, but it's not consistiently a penalty. Who wants consistiency when playing a game!?

EA tried to introduce responsibility for controlling your poke checks, and the children's cries forced them to revert.

For about 48 hours, it was nice to have a pure advantage over those just mindlessly mashing poke check.

• GoSens37 wrote: »

EA tried to introduce responsibility for controlling your poke checks, and the children's cries forced them to revert.

For about 48 hours, it was nice to have a pure advantage over those just mindlessly mashing poke check.

They haven't had any sort of responsibiity with the DSS so far. That's why people are upset with the lack of breakaway chances. Heck, I played a vs game last night and saw 10+ pokes go through one or both of my legs that got only puck.

It's ridiculous. Just like those clunky, slow, near gamebreaking seamlesss puck pickups they implemented. Rather than implementing 400 25% functional features, maybe they should try to get at leat one 75% working? Just a thought.

I miss those days....all two of them.

I think they ought to tune down the skating speed and agility with the puck. Then tune WAY UP the acceleration after recovering the puck. Get rid of the pokes from behind garbage. Get rid of the puck-pickup system too since the constant loss/regaining puck possession pulls/jerks your player all over the place in an unnatural way.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I think they ought to tune down the skating speed and agility with the puck. Then tune WAY UP the acceleration after recovering the puck. Get rid of the pokes from behind garbage. Get rid of the puck-pickup system too since the constant loss/regaining puck possession pulls/jerks your player all over the place in an unnatural way.

This is very intriguing because I also firmly believe that due to many users pushing Left stick to 100% at all times causes them to become frustrated with what the skating engine is trying to accomplish with the inputs it's being given.

If you tuned down speed and accell - you open up avenues of execution within more segments of frames that are typically only viable when gliding or skating slowly.

This is very intriguing because I also firmly believe that due to many users pushing Left stick to 100% at all times causes them to become frustrated with what the skating engine is trying to accomplish with the inputs it's being given.

If you tuned down speed and accell - you open up avenues of execution within more segments of frames that are typically only viable when gliding or skating slowly.

I just don't think the speed is balanced correctly with other parts of the game. Even the AI skaters seem to be "out of control" too often, and a lot of it appears like they are just moving "too fast for their skates" to the point that they can't do anything else. Maybe that's also the reason it feels like you are controlling 800-lb skaters a lot of the time. I also wonder if eliminating the "speed burst" on L3 wouldn't be a good move to try as some games that button has zero effect while others the effect seems OP.

I just don't think the speed is balanced correctly with other parts of the game. Even the AI skaters seem to be "out of control" too often, and a lot of it appears like they are just moving "too fast for their skates" to the point that they can't do anything else. Maybe that's also the reason it feels like you are controlling 800-lb skaters a lot of the time. I also wonder if eliminating the "speed burst" on L3 wouldn't be a good move to try as some games that button has zero effect while others the effect seems OP.

Exactly. Well said.

People are incessantly 'clicking' L3 and they don't understand that this introduces so many issues.

It's funny that people don't realize you can reach top speed without clicking L3 after 3-5 regular strides, depending on the player.

If people in this thread try playing an entire game without clicking L3 and utilize gliding more often, I guarantee you they'll have a better skating experience in their first game. Subsequent games, as you learn this system, will get better and better.

Exactly. Well said.

People are incessantly 'clicking' L3 and they don't understand that this introduces so many issues.

It's funny that people don't realize you can reach top speed without clicking L3 after 3-5 regular strides, depending on the player.

If people in this thread try playing an entire game without clicking L3 and utilize gliding more often, I guarantee you they'll have a better skating experience in their first game. Subsequent games, as you learn this system, will get better and better.

TPS has been out for 6 years man. People know how to use the engine...

Exactly. Well said.

You don't.

Exactly. Well said.

You don't.

And you know that how? Based off of my stats? Video? Oh I know must've been my +91 rating ;)
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Oh yeah, do you have video proof of people clicking incessantly, or are talking out of your *** as usual?

But seriously, don't you think most of us know that by now?

Especially when playing defence, you don't want to hustle at all, except maybe to hurry back home from offence. Otherwise you try to stay put or glide a bit toward the guy you're supposed to cover.

But it's a constant struggle to stay put when the game decides that you ought to be rushing *there*, out of position, or when the game turns you facing *away* from the puck when you stand still, and you try to wrestle with the game to stay facing the puck (with L2), only to do these corkscrew motions, and generally being useless. Also, good luck trying to turn in place to get the puck before two wingers rush from way over there to poke-poke-poke that puck away from you. With lag it's fairly hopeless and feels like you're cast in cement boots when trying to move. It's the small finesse movements that are diffficult, not hustling. And most of them are automated, so you do this tap dance when trying to move just bit forward.

It's not all down to the skating engine, but combined with lag, it's a nightmare with opponents zipping around while you try to overcome the controls.

You know l2 doesn't just auto face puck anymore, right? It's a trigger for the pivots and used correctly can make small movements at low speed to a standstill possible. Not perfect but better than the most vocal here make it seem.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes I know, but it's alos supposed to turn you facing the puck, when you don't MOVE, right?

Have you tried it? Oh no you havent.
    Yes I know, but it's alos supposed to turn you facing the puck, when you don't MOVE, right?

Have you tried it? Oh no you havent.

It's not though. Unless that's new for next gen. Tps never had a function to auto face the puck. They put control of that in the user's hands.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I guess you know better with your immense experience in NHL18?

It was good of you to quote me though, because my original post seems to have disappeared? :/
  • Why do you think I asked you if it was a new feature. Tps as designed never had auto face puck. Many refused to under that.

Instead of answering my question you just resort to attacking me because I haven't played the game you supposedly hate because you can't skate.
    I guess you know better with your immense experience in NHL18?

It was good of you to quote me though, because my original post seems to have disappeared? :/

But he's right though. TPS doesn't have an 'auto-face puck' feature. You're responsible for controlling your player and facing the puck.
    Why do you think I asked you if it was a new feature. Tps as designed never had auto face puck. Many refused to under that.

Instead of answering my question you just resort to attacking me because I haven't played the game you supposedly hate because you can't skate.

Exactly.