EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Poke checks going through the puck and not dislodging them from the player

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
587 posts Member
edited December 2017
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/40986365

As seen, my poke check goes through the puck and not dislodging it from the player

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/40986398

In this one, again my stick goes through the puck, he keeps full possession and scores.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/40986441

Not related to poke checking, but the Ai stick goes through my players body to stick lift and take away the puck
Post edited by EpiCxOwNeD on

Replies

• gundamfreedomx
    88 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    There should have been a tripping call for pokechecking through the persons legs, but okay you want to physically poke check through a guys legs, and miraculously end up with the puck. You are officially the reason the game gets worse every year.
    Post edited by gundamfreedomx on
  • First clip: There's 40 seconds of action there with lots of successful poke checks. Where in that sequence is the problem? Narrow it down for us.

Second clip: To get to the puck you put your stick right through his foot. Should be a tripping penalty against you. Given that EA has toned tripping penalties way down this year I'm OK with the puck not getting dislodged here.

Third clip: I agree here. Either the stick lift should fail or there should have been a penalty there.
  • First clip: There's 40 seconds of action there with lots of successful poke checks. Where in that sequence is the problem? Narrow it down for us.

Second clip: To get to the puck you put your stick right through his foot. Should be a tripping penalty against you. Given that EA has toned tripping penalties way down this year I'm OK with the puck not getting dislodged here.

Third clip: I agree here. Either the stick lift should fail or there should have been a penalty there.

I have a problem with this, especially given how Shady things are in the game! WHY is it the GAMES call to NOT call a penalty there? What happens IF that NON stick through skates results in that player just skating away and scoring the eventual GWG as opposed to being tripped up and possibly NOT scoring on the ensuing PP! It's like the goalie pad making a save from a blue line slap shot BUT YET .003 seconds later that same goalie pad allows a players stick and the puck to physically pass right through it resulting in a goal.....it comes off as Rigged and or Fixed! IF you can't control yourself and abuse poke check, you SHOULD BE penalized for your stupidity, NOT have the game decide well we'll let that slide this time
  • joefitz22 wrote: »
    I have a problem with this, especially given how Shady things are in the game! WHY is it the GAMES call to NOT call a penalty there? What happens IF that NON stick through skates results in that player just skating away and scoring the eventual GWG as opposed to being tripped up and possibly NOT scoring on the ensuing PP! It's like the goalie pad making a save from a blue line slap shot BUT YET .003 seconds later that same goalie pad allows a players stick and the puck to physically pass right through it resulting in a goal.....it comes off as Rigged and or Fixed! IF you can't control yourself and abuse poke check, you SHOULD BE penalized for your stupidity, NOT have the game decide well we'll let that slide this time

Just to be clear ( and like I said originally ) that should be a penalty.

But EA seems unwilling to consistently call stick infractions, especially in NHL 18. Probably to showcase the DSS. They did have a tuner a year or two ago that called tripping more consistently but the community went into super-whine mode and they pulled it after only a day or two.

My point about the clip was that if you're not getting a penalty there for poking right through a player's legs/feet I'm OK with the puck not getting dislodged. The defending player should not be rewarded for making a bad play.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    First clip: There's 40 seconds of action there with lots of successful poke checks. Where in that sequence is the problem? Narrow it down for us.

First clip: My bad. It looked like I put the wrong clip. I edited the post to show the right one.

Second clip: I agree. However, I feel that poking through legs can sometimes dislodge the puck and sometimes it can. It feels inconsistent this year.I think they should increase tripping calls if your stick goes through legs.

• Now that I've seen the corrected clip....

Wow. That's pretty terrible. The puck should come loose there. Or at least bobble a bit.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »

Just to be clear ( and like I said originally ) that should be a penalty.

But EA seems unwilling to consistently call stick infractions, especially in NHL 18. Probably to showcase the DSS. They did have a tuner a year or two ago that called tripping more consistently but the community went into super-whine mode and they pulled it after only a day or two.

My point about the clip was that if you're not getting a penalty there for poking right through a player's legs/feet I'm OK with the puck not getting dislodged. The defending player should not be rewarded for making a bad play.

Agreed
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/40986365

As seen, my poke check goes through the puck and not dislodging it from the player

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/40986398

In this one, again my stick goes through the puck, he keeps full possession and scores.

The 2nd one is the way the game is supposed to work. (I mean the way the game is designed to work.) If your stick goes through a player's leg or skate before it makes contact with the puck, it should have no effect on the puck.

The problem is, as you point out, it doesn't work this way all the time. This year, you can poke right through player's legs and not only not get a penalty, but also deflect the puck away. That kind of inconsistency has been the plague of this franchise since it moved to the new-gen consoles.

The 1st one is just egregious, and is all too common in this game. Just another example of the game's woefully inconsistent physics.
  • Sinbin, what are your thoughts on these clips?
  • Sinbin
    1308 posts Member
    Sinbin, what are your thoughts on these clips?

The first video should have been a successful poke.

The second should have been tripping. When the stick passes through the body first, it won't effect the puck so that's why the poke didn't trigger. However, it should have been a tripping penalty instead. Which totally contradicts what BMH says about deflecting the puck away. It may happen sometimes, but definitely not every time.

The third should be a penalty as well.
  • I just recorded one on my phone from the other night... how can I upload it?? Literally ran into guy with the stick extended and hit the puck and his stick and it did nothing at all and then the pass went tape to tape right out of the zone to a two on one and caused a goal that should have never been a play...
  • Sinbin
    1308 posts Member
    ABUSEU905 wrote: »
    I just recorded one on my phone from the other night... how can I upload it?? Literally ran into guy with the stick extended and hit the puck and his stick and it did nothing at all and then the pass went tape to tape right out of the zone to a two on one and caused a goal that should have never been a play...

Post it to YouTube or some other site that hosts videos and embed it.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

The second should have been tripping. When the stick passes through the body first, it won't effect the puck so that's why the poke didn't trigger. However, it should have been a tripping penalty instead. Which totally contradicts what BMH says about deflecting the puck away. It may happen sometimes, but definitely not every time.

Who said poking through players' bodies to deflect the puck away happens every time? Not me. I've said it happens this year far more often than it should. Which it does.
  • Sinbin
    1308 posts Member
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

Who said poking through players' bodies to deflect the puck away happens every time? Not me. I've said it happens this year far more often than it should. Which it does.

You said it does happen. I'm not saying it doesn't. It just didn't in this case. Yes, you also said it doesn't happen every time. I just really need to slow down and read everything before responding. Sorry, man.
  • http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/41257293

Here's another clip of the same thing happening.
  • Sinbin
    1308 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/41257293

The shaft of your stick went through his leg first. That's why the poke didn't register.
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/41257293

The shaft of your stick went through his leg first. That's why the poke didn't register.

I actually didn't notice that. I guess that makes more sense now to why I didn't get puck off the player.

• EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/41414702

In good position, I poke. Instead of knocking the puck to the outside, it goes through my stick and the player easily picks up the puck in slot and scores

A lot of other bogus things happened in this game against me. This wasn't just one in incident.
  • Sinbin
    1308 posts Member

In good position, I poke. Instead of knocking the puck to the outside, it goes through my stick and the player easily picks up the puck in slot and scores

A lot of other bogus things happened in this game against me. This wasn't just one in incident.

They go for you as much as they go against you. You just notice the ones against you more. Look, man. It's a video game. It's not going to be perfect. You can nit pick every little detail or you can enjoy it for what it is. Which is a pretty great hockey game. Unless you're going to tear apart every aspect of it. You could find a big list of things wrong with just about any game if you did that. It's not meant to be a 1:1 recreation of real hockey. With how much this community already complains about how good the poke check is, if every instance of what you showed affected the puck, people here would be way more unhappy than they are now.

The game isn't against you. It's not like the devs see your name here and add it to the code and program the game to force you to lose. Everyone gets bad and good breaks. I've had as many fortuitous bounces as as I've had bad ones. In the end, the guys with a lot of skill are going to win more than they lose. That's not the game having something against their opponents and scripting all those wins.

They go for you as much as they go against you. You just notice the ones against you more. Look, man. It's a video game. It's not going to be perfect. You can nit pick every little detail or you can enjoy it for what it is. Which is a pretty great hockey game. Unless you're going to tear apart every aspect of it. You could find a big list of things wrong with just about any game if you did that. It's not meant to be a 1:1 recreation of real hockey. With how much this community already complains about how good the poke check is, if every instance of what you showed affected the puck, people here would be way more unhappy than they are now.

The game isn't against you. It's not like the devs see your name here and add it to the code and program the game to force you to lose. Everyone gets bad and good breaks. I've had as many fortuitous bounces as as I've had bad ones. In the end, the guys with a lot of skill are going to win more than they lose. That's not the game having something against their opponents and scripting all those wins.

I agree with you but I have an issue with the Bolded part! I don't play for FAKE wins...ie I'm not someone that OMG I MUST WIN AT ALL COST. I win I win, I lose I lose....that's life!!

I notice it more after a Win because as I have said a gazillion times, I did not Win the game based on my skill vs his/her skill, I Won the game because the Game decided to allow the puck to physically pass through the goalies leg pad for the GWG. It's neither Rewarding nor Satisfying to know my Win was tainted due to **** poor Collision Detection. My best friend and I like to play a 7 game series against each other, kinda hard to give a proper ribbing after a series win knowing the Game allowed certain things to happen in order for me to pull out said Win (his potential GWG disallowed due to **** poor goal reviews, pucks physically passing through Solid Objects, the list goes on and on)