EA Forums - Banner

4 refs on the ice... not good for gameplay

Replies

• Lol this isn't real hockey the refs don't play any part other than mudding up a game that is already clunky
  • Does having the refs cause frame rate drops or something? Are they now solid? NHL 2k8 had all four I believe and you had the option to make them solid or not.
  • Does having the refs cause frame rate drops or something? Are they now solid? NHL 2k8 had all four I believe and you had the option to make them solid or not.

The refs in NHL 18 (and games before it) are intangible. They don't interfere with the play one bit. They even manage to do a good job of staying away from the thick of the play... Maybe they coded the AI defensemen with Ref AI logic? :lol:

Seriously though, it's not a big deal unless they were solid like you could make them in NHL 2K. But even in that game, with the ref being solid (all 4 of them) it was never a big issue. Refs are part of hockey. Like the nets coming off the moorings (which was removed because... reasons) and pucks flying over the boards. If we remove that might as well remove sticks breaking, players getting injured, mascots, crowd, seats, arenas... heck, might as well just have five sticks vs. five sticks floating on a white sheet batting a square pixel back and forth...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Does having the refs cause frame rate drops or something? Are they now solid? NHL 2k8 had all four I believe and you had the option to make them solid or not.

The refs in NHL 18 (and games before it) are intangible. They don't interfere with the play one bit. They even manage to do a good job of staying away from the thick of the play... Maybe they coded the AI defensemen with Ref AI logic? :lol:

Seriously though, it's not a big deal unless they were solid like you could make them in NHL 2K. But even in that game, with the ref being solid (all 4 of them) it was never a big issue. Refs are part of hockey. Like the nets coming off the moorings (which was removed because... reasons) and pucks flying over the boards. If we remove that might as well remove sticks breaking, players getting injured, mascots, crowd, seats, arenas... heck, might as well just have five sticks vs. five sticks floating on a white sheet batting a square pixel back and forth...

actually they do interfere with the play, not sure why a goalie has any dog in this fight? yes they don't check or poke check you but they get in front of you and you can carry them while you skate. they skate across the slot for and get tied up with you all over the ice. i could take 50 videos of them cutting me off and taking strange routes all over the ice but figured this was already obvious.

like i said this is more of an issue when playing on overhead and classic. most importantly, they clutter up the ice which is not proportioned correctly to begin with.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Does having the refs cause frame rate drops or something? Are they now solid? NHL 2k8 had all four I believe and you had the option to make them solid or not.

actually they do interfere with the play, not sure why a goalie has any dog in this fight? yes they don't check or poke check you but they get in front of you and you can carry them while you skate. they skate across the slot for and get tied up with you all over the ice. i could take 50 videos of them cutting me off and taking strange routes all over the ice but figured this was already obvious.

like i said this is more of an issue when playing on overhead and classic. most importantly, they clutter up the ice which is not proportioned correctly to begin with.

I do play Defense and (on rare occasion) forward in EASHL games with my old club. Again, they don't interfere at all, they're merely there as "cosmetic entities". I've played more hockey games than you'd care to know, and I've never seen an issue where the refs. Not even in NHL 2K8 where all 4 refs were actually TANGIBLE objects that the puck and players could physically interact with.

EA's NHL series, the refs don't interact physically with you or the puck. Even if they visually "clutter" your view, they won't affect a puck's trajectory in any way, shape or form.

As for "visual" interference: If you can't tell the difference zebra colored refs and players on both sides... Yikes!!

I do play Defense and (on rare occasion) forward in EASHL games with my old club. Again, they don't interfere at all, they're merely there as "cosmetic entities". I've played more hockey games than you'd care to know, and I've never seen an issue where the refs. Not even in NHL 2K8 where all 4 refs were actually TANGIBLE objects that the puck and players could physically interact with.

EA's NHL series, the refs don't interact physically with you or the puck. Even if they visually "clutter" your view, they won't affect a puck's trajectory in any way, shape or form.

As for "visual" interference: If you can't tell the difference zebra colored refs and players on both sides... Yikes!!

what camera do you play on?
  • Overhead Camera when I play as a skater. Goalie Cam I use High.
    Overhead Camera when I play as a skater. Goalie Cam I use High.

well, good for you then. they bug me. maybe you play on a monitor, maybe you sit 2 inches from your screen i dont know maybe i'm blind. when the opponents have dark jersey's and helmets it makes it really hard for me to tell the difference.

regardless, it's not needed for realism because EASHL is not the NHL. it adds nothing and was a complete waste of development time. there's no debating that.

well, good for you then. they bug me. maybe you play on a monitor, maybe you sit 2 inches from your screen i dont know maybe i'm blind. when the opponents have dark jersey's and helmets it makes it really hard for me to tell the difference.

regardless, it's not needed for realism because EASHL is not the NHL. it adds nothing and was a complete waste of development time. there's no debating that.

Do you use the player indicators for the other team? At least it would put a little flag above their heads to differentiate them from the refs for you.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »

Do you use the player indicators for the other team? At least it would put a little flag above their heads to differentiate them from the refs for you.

yeah this might help, i have the opponents indicators turned off to help eliminate some of the clutter heh.
  • Seriously? If you know how to play at all you don’t even notice them.
  • I persona;;y didnt even know there was 4 refs on the ice during EASHL games until I read this post, lol. No idea how they can even get in your way or make you confused as to who is who. I play on Overhead all the time and like I said, until I read this thread, I didnt even know there was more than 1
  • Two refs, two linesmen

Very good! The total is still 4 no matter how you math it.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Workin_OT wrote: »

yeah this might help, i have the opponents indicators turned off to help eliminate some of the clutter heh.

Maybe the Zone camera would also help. It gives a bigger view of the ice than Overhead. You also can shrink down the player indicators quite a bit.
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    Seriously? If you know how to play at all you don’t even notice them.

maybe you don't notice them because you're a casual? hmm.
  • trw1987 wrote: »

No, people don't notice them because they know hockey, they know there's four refs on the ice and they appropriately ignore them since they never interfere with the play.

The more you're used to something, the easier it is to ignore. A casual who's never played the game/sport... they might be bothered by something like intangible NPCs "being in the way"...
    trw1987 wrote: »

No, people don't notice them because they know hockey, they know there's four refs on the ice and they appropriately ignore them since they never interfere with the play.

The more you're used to something, the easier it is to ignore. A casual who's never played the game/sport... they might be bothered by something like intangible NPCs "being in the way"...

I hardly even notice the refs and linesmen on the ice while watching a game on TV,until they get in the way that is.

if i didn't play with the huge baloon indicators set to off i probably wouldn't notice them either, but i took the training wheels off a few years ago and never looked back.

if i didn't play with the huge baloon indicators set to off i probably wouldn't notice them either, but i took the training wheels off a few years ago and never looked back.

I feel like you'd notice them more with the indicators on. You'd see these people with no indicator. Either way to me this sounds like a you issue and not a game issue.

The only way it's a game issue is if having the 4 extra skaters is causing frame rate drops.
  • You're the only one who's ever really complained about this on here. Are you colour blind? Is that the issue?

There should be some options for people who are.