EA Forums - Banner

4 refs on the ice... not good for gameplay

13Next

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    trw1987 wrote: »
    Seriously? If you know how to play at all you don’t even notice them.

maybe you don't notice them because you're a casual? hmm.

No, people don't notice them because they know hockey, they know there's four refs on the ice and they appropriately ignore them since they never interfere with the play.

The more you're used to something, the easier it is to ignore. A casual who's never played the game/sport... they might be bothered by something like intangible NPCs "being in the way"...

if i didn't play with the huge baloon indicators set to off i probably wouldn't notice them either, but i took the training wheels off a few years ago and never looked back.

I put the player indicators at their smallest setting so that they aren't an eye sore. I also went back and checked out some of the games I recorded, and there are one or two zebras on screen most of the time while playing. There's never a time when all four (or even three) refs are going to be cluttering your screen. ON top of that, now that I was concentrating on locating them, I noticed they're almost always out of a position that a ref or linesman should be during important calls. Like during a scrum in front of the net, you'd expect one of the two refs to be behind the net hunched over to try to see the puck, but they're mostly in the corner AWAY FROM THE PLAY so as to not interfere with the user. Same with the linesmen who should be straddling the blue line and hunched down to see the puck cross the line before the players... Nope! They're mostly (again) out of the way sitting on the lip of the boards.

The devs went out of their way to make sure the REFS wouldn't get in yours, so you really shouldn't be having an issue with it. It just adds a touch of immersion and genuine personality which this game sorely lacks.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

No, people don't notice them because they know hockey, they know there's four refs on the ice and they appropriately ignore them since they never interfere with the play.

The more you're used to something, the easier it is to ignore. A casual who's never played the game/sport... they might be bothered by something like intangible NPCs "being in the way"...

if i didn't play with the huge baloon indicators set to off i probably wouldn't notice them either, but i took the training wheels off a few years ago and never looked back.

I put the player indicators at their smallest setting so that they aren't an eye sore. I also went back and checked out some of the games I recorded, and there are one or two zebras on screen most of the time while playing. There's never a time when all four (or even three) refs are going to be cluttering your screen. ON top of that, now that I was concentrating on locating them, I noticed they're almost always out of a position that a ref or linesman should be during important calls. Like during a scrum in front of the net, you'd expect one of the two refs to be behind the net hunched over to try to see the puck, but they're mostly in the corner AWAY FROM THE PLAY so as to not interfere with the user. Same with the linesmen who should be straddling the blue line and hunched down to see the puck cross the line before the players... Nope! They're mostly (again) out of the way sitting on the lip of the boards.

The devs went out of their way to make sure the REFS wouldn't get in yours, so you really shouldn't be having an issue with it. It just adds a touch of immersion and genuine personality which this game sorely lacks.

i'll grab some video for you next time i play.
  • jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Seriously how is it that you don't even notice then but that they somehow provide immersion.

I know lots of people hate them. People like me that are minimalist and into efficiency. Also if you play overhead then you mostly only see helmets and shoulders. Refs can occasionally be confusing when playing against teams whose helmets and shoulders are similar. Like when I'm up the boards waiting for a breakout and looking back at defense and corner of the eye I see a ref who I mistake for a defender and alter my course just as defender makes pass for and icing.

This is not a big problem but would be nice if they were optional and seriously what would that take 20 mins of a single developers time to add that option? Pretty low hanging fruit but they fail at that stuff too

Lol at "training wheels" and "you're a casual." You're something else man.
  • Seriously how is it that you don't even notice then but that they somehow provide immersion.

I know lots of people hate them. People like me that are minimalist and into efficiency. Also if you play overhead then you mostly only see helmets and shoulders. Refs can occasionally be confusing when playing against teams whose helmets and shoulders are similar. Like when I'm up the boards waiting for a breakout and looking back at defense and corner of the eye I see a ref who I mistake for a defender and alter my course just as defender makes pass for and icing.

This is not a big problem but would be nice if they were optional and seriously what would that take 20 mins of a single developers time to add that option? Pretty low hanging fruit but they fail at that stuff too

Let me quantify that: It's immersive because I KNOW they're there, even though they don't immediately affect me or my play. Refs are a part of real Hockey and it would be 100 times more awkward to me if they weren't there.

I play hockey in real life, I watch hockey on TV. I know the refs are there, but they're not what I'm concentrating on (unless there's an infraction). They don't affect me or my enjoyment. Even though I know they're there.
    Seriously how is it that you don't even notice then but that they somehow provide immersion.

Let me quantify that: It's immersive because I KNOW they're there, even though they don't immediately affect me or my play. Refs are a part of real Hockey and it would be 100 times more awkward to me if they weren't there.

I play hockey in real life, I watch hockey on TV. I know the refs are there, but they're not what I'm concentrating on (unless there's an infraction). They don't affect me or my enjoyment. Even though I know they're there.

if this doesn't bother you, then why do you insist on vomiting all over this thread? do you think your posts are going to change anyone's mind who find them annoying and unnecessary?
  • Seriously how is it that you don't even notice then but that they somehow provide immersion.

couldn't have said it better myself.
  • I do see what he's saying when he says the refs get in the way from time to time, I had this happen to me in HUT and it just doesn't help things.

• here is the ref getting lost in the slot.

• Huh, fair enough that was pretty terrible lol
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited January 2018

here is the ref getting lost in the slot.

LOL, refs are lost no matter where they are. They mostly back skate and don't really look at the play. Just like the AI, they routinely turn their backs to the play.
  • GiveMeDaPuck
    309 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    man i've never noticed it myself, but yea when you actually watch their positioning it's pretty disgusting. The ref on the right backskates into blues path on the initial rush, while the linesemen on the left leaves the boards and jumps into greens path, later that same linesmen backskates off the blueline and directly into the middle of the slot and blocks yellows path. I think when I'm playing I don't notice it because I'm focused more on my positioning in relation to the puck and teammates, but yea i can see how it's a nuisance especially on this camera.
  • man i've never noticed it myself, but yea when you actually watch their positioning it's pretty disgusting. The ref on the right backskates into blues path on the initial rush, while the linesemen on the left leaves the boards and jumps into greens path, later that same linesmen backskates off the blueline and directly into the middle of the slot and blocks yellows path. I think when I'm playing I don't notice it because I'm focused more on my positioning in relation to the puck and teammates, but yea i can see how it's a nuisance especially on this camera.

you know what else i noticed while watching the video again? the skating and turning is ATROCIOUS! 10ft radius turns just to do a 180.
  • man i've never noticed it myself, but yea when you actually watch their positioning it's pretty disgusting. The ref on the right backskates into blues path on the initial rush, while the linesemen on the left leaves the boards and jumps into greens path, later that same linesmen backskates off the blueline and directly into the middle of the slot and blocks yellows path. I think when I'm playing I don't notice it because I'm focused more on my positioning in relation to the puck and teammates, but yea i can see how it's a nuisance especially on this camera.

you know what else i noticed while watching the video again? the skating and turning is ATROCIOUS! 10ft radius turns just to do a 180.

Set the speed to .5 and watch it again....

doc and edzo sound like they ate a bag of edibles on .5.

LOOK AT THIIII-IIIIS

LOOK AT THIIII-IIIIS

forgot to mention to mute the sound lol. Ooops