EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

There needs to be more consequences for poke spammers.

EpiCxOwNeD
587 posts Member
edited December 2017
I believe there isn't enough tripping calls in the game to begin with and have to play someone who poke spams without consequences is absurd. You can have good puck control to keep the puck from being poked, but the defender can spam without the fear having getting a lot penalties because there doesn't seem to be. I don't mind getting poked over and over if the defender can make good stick on puck at good timing, but having the defender behind you spamming away is ridiculous. Do you guys think there should be more penalties or decrease accuracy to pokes if spamed?

Replies

• That's my go to move. But I only do it while backing up. Anytime I do it while chasing someone I get a penalty. This is offline though.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    128 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The last tuner increased the chances of getting a penalty when poke spamming.

The whole mechanic needs an overhaul - player types with higher 'hands' should hold on to the puck better and the lead hand types should be much easier to poke. Common sense, devs
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The last tuner increased the chances of getting a penalty when poke spamming.

I know. But me personally, i feel like the tuner didn't really do much to combat spammers and increase penalties against spammers. That's just my experience with it.

Also, Id like to add that poking from behind quite ridiculous as well. Pokes from behind will barely hit my stick or puck and send the puck to the next dimension sometimes and other times barley move the puck. You shouldn't be rewarded for poking behind that will send the poke away from the player with possession.
  • I have no problem with people who spam poke but I do agree that pokes from bad positioning should result in penalties more often they currently do.
  • The game will never stop or penalize people for poke spamming because most people have zero idea of how to actually play defense or even how or when to poke for that matter. What annoys me even more is people poking from behind when you have the puck and knocking it loose but when you do the poke at the right time from the right place, you end up in the box. There is no rhyme or reason as to what is penalties in this game at all.
  • My issue is that nhl 2k8 had full control of your stick on the right joystick with and without the puck. Hitting was a button and so was shooting. This allowed much more freedom and creativity with stick dekes and checks.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • I have no problem with people who spam poke but I do agree that pokes from bad positioning should result in penalties more often they currently do.

I agree with this. Poke spamming in my opinion does not benefit anyone and should be taken as a compliment. It means you are too good for your opponent and he is button mashing in desperation. It should result in more penalties from bad angles
  • I mean, I currently take about 6, 7, 8 tripping penalties a game (and "good" poke checking doesn't even work for me in the first place), so if that doesn't deter someone from spamming and changing their defensive style, idk what will.