EA Forums - Banner

Planned obsolescence

Prev13
We all know it's built into the cell phones these days but we also see it in some video games, especially the yearly sports titles.

My question for you is do you replace your phone yearly just like many of you do with this game? If you do, how come? If you don't why do you buy this game or another sports title yearly?

Genuinely interested in how you lot feel about this.

Replies

• Well it’s simple for me as the only game I play is hockey.
  • Some differences...

The latest cell phones are A LOT more $ than the yearly release of this series.

For phones I wait till my 2-3 contract runs out and then get the free upgrade to the latest phone when I renew or switch carriers.

For hockey it’s the only game I play and in order to play with the majority of friends and in leagues, we essentially have no other choice but to buy it. It also works out to approximately 10 cents per game for the times I play it which is such an insignificant amount.
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    The cost per game is still too high for me because I am used to getting more content for less on pc. Rocket League is 20$ got it on sale for ~$15. Csgo is 15$ got it on sale for ~7$. Pubg is $30 paid full price for it.

All of those games have easily as much play value if not more than one years worth of nhl. To accurately compare them you'd have to now include the price of multiple years worth of nhl. Is it still going to be worth it when the other options are that much less per game?
  • mhandymanb
    408 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I don’t need to compare NHL to other games because NHL is the only one I play. Even still, if I add up the cost of buying it yearly it works out to be even less than 10 cents a game as I use to play this game a lot more in the past.

How much does the average gaming PC cost and to maintain it yearly?

• mhandymanb wrote: »
    I don’t need to compare NHL to other games because NHL is the only one I play. Even still, if I add up the cost of buying it yearly it works out to be even less than 10 cents a game as I use to play this game a lot more in the past.

How much does the average gaming PC cost and to maintain it yearly?

Average is very subjective. I spent about 2 grand on mine 7 years ago. I've seen people who spend 500 on theirs and are competitive with the consoles as far as graphic quality. I guess I would say the average cost would be ~750-1000. There's little to no yearly maintenance unless you count opening it up to clean dust out.

So yes the hardware is more expensive than a console but you upgrade it less often and the software is much much cheaper.

The main difference that I tell people is do you want to plug and play or do you want more options? If you want plug and play consoles are the way to go,if you want options for customizing everything pc all the way.

The cost is much closer than people think when you factor in most console games are $60 plus the fee to play online plus if you decide to buy the upgraded versions of each console generation. Where as I had a pc for 7 years and it was up to snuff with the Xbox one s, and it was built in 2009.
  • I won’t even consider a PC and I haven’t even owned one in over 10 or more years.

PS4 is perfect for me. It’s cost efficient, takes up less space and does all I need it for.
  • I get where metal is coming from. I’m watching my son build his own gaming computer. It’s amazing to me you buy a tower and stuff it with what you want. Its complete now. He hasnt touched PS4 or Xbox once it was completed.i constantly ask him why no nhl (cause I built his team from packs) and his response is the games on pc are way better. I’m at a loss why we at ea don’t make it for pc.
    I won’t even consider a PC and I haven’t even owned one in over 10 or more years.

PS4 is perfect for me. It’s cost efficient, takes up less space and does all I need it for.

I outlined the two mindsets of why take console or pc. Now the fact that you won't even consider a pc an option shows ignorance on your part.

I could easily build you a pc of the same size and only a bit more in the base price and get better performance from it. Plus it would be more future proof.

I get it you don't see it as a viable option or maybe you just like the ease of the consoles. Me I prefer to look at all the options which when I built my pc were 360 PS3 and wii as well as pc. I already had a 360 at the time and 2 rrod. So I figured a pc couldn't be worse. I have had far less issues with my pc than I have with multiple 360s. And those I have had were easy to solve seeing as how I put the thing together and knew exactly where to look for troubleshooting.

Where on the 360 I did open everything is just jammed in as tight as possible allowing no air flow and poor cooling plus it's all very proprietary and difficult to just swap out.
    I won’t even consider a PC and I haven’t even owned one in over 10 or more years.

I outlined the two mindsets of why take console or pc. Now the fact that you won't even consider a pc an option shows ignorance on your part.

I could easily build you a pc of the same size and only a bit more in the base price and get better performance from it. Plus it would be more future proof.

I get it you don't see it as a viable option or maybe you just like the ease of the consoles. Me I prefer to look at all the options which when I built my pc were 360 PS3 and wii as well as pc. I already had a 360 at the time and 2 rrod. So I figured a pc couldn't be worse. I have had far less issues with my pc than I have with multiple 360s. And those I have had were easy to solve seeing as how I put the thing together and knew exactly where to look for troubleshooting.

Where on the 360 I did open everything is just jammed in as tight as possible allowing no air flow and poor cooling plus it's all very proprietary and difficult to just swap out.

False. Given the fact he hasn't had a pc in 10+ years means he doesn't even have a keyboard, mouse, or screen. Just a screen, pcu and vidcard is already more than the cost of a PS4 if you think that his build would be more future proof than a console.

We've had this discussion before. Give it a rest.
  • It’s not ignorance when the PS4 is all I need. It’s small and hooks up directly (obviously) to my big screen tv. Plus hockey is essentially all I play and doesn’t have a PC version.

So why would I even consider a PC?

False. Given the fact he hasn't had a pc in 10+ years means he doesn't even have a keyboard, mouse, or screen. Just a screen, pcu and vidcard is already more than the cost of a PS4 if you think that his build would be more future proof than a console.

Exactly. I haven’t had the need for a PC for years. I have an iPhone and Apple Airplay.

Why would I need a PC again?

• MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    mhandymanb wrote: »

Exactly. I haven’t had the need for a PC for years. I have an iPhone and Apple Airplay.

To more easily avoid supporting scummy corporations like Apple, Sony and EA. But that's just my opinion, you're free to support whatever companies you want, that's the beauty of capitalism. We have a choice in what to support.

Also @WainGretSki you can build something akin to the steam machines for around the same price as a console and use it on a TV and you don't even need a kb/m if you use the steam os, which also saves you money from buying an os.

Like I've said pc is all about lots of options and customization. Console is ease of use which unfortunately for the users means a more closed off system. Two sides of the same coin.

There's always a different way to skin a cat, however in the end it's still gonna taste like general tso's.

To more easily avoid supporting scummy corporations like Apple, Sony and EA. But that's just my opinion, you're free to support whatever companies you want, that's the beauty of capitalism. We have a choice in what to support.

Also @WainGretSki you can build something akin to the steam machines for around the same price as a console and use it on a TV and you don't even need a kb/m if you use the steam os, which also saves you money from buying an os.

Like I've said pc is all about lots of options and customization. Console is ease of use which unfortunately for the users means a more closed off system. Two sides of the same coin.

There's always a different way to skin a cat, however in the end it's still gonna taste like general tso's.

I’ve been a “supporter” of those three corporations for years without any complaints so why would I switch to others?

What “scummy” corporations do you support? :smirk:

Also you still haven’t provided me one good practical reason why I should have a PC? I don’t need the “customization” and “options” and my PS4 and iPhone do everything I need and want them to do so why would I need a PC?

• MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited January 2018

“Scummy” in your opinion. What “scummy” corporations do you support? :smirk:

I’ve been a buyer “supporter” of all three of those corporations for several years and don’t have any problems with any of them so why would I switch?

IBM, LG, AT&T, Spectrum, Amazon, Wal-Mart. There may be others but those are the ones I can think of right now.

I don't like supporting these companies and as such am trying to avoid them as best I can. However that's easier said than done.

Need is the wrong word there, while we might all need a cell phone of some sort we don't need smartphones and we don't need game consoles. We want those things just like I don't need a pc but I want one over a console.

You guys act like I'm attacking you for preferring a console over a pc. I didn't say it's better, I said it offers more options at the cost of ease of use. You guys obviously prefer less options to have greater ease of use.

I prefer options and customization and if that means I gotta troubleshoot every now and then to get stuff working properly then so be it. That's all learning experience to me.

Given my trade is cnc machining I'm all about learning how to troubleshoot computers and software and this and that. Even if it's not exactly the same as what I'm doing for work it all ties in one way or another.
  • Ah Cnc do they still use m&g codes for programming? I used to write programs a long time ago for 2 Swiss style cnc machines in a screw machine shop.
  • Swoops--73 wrote: »
    Ah Cnc do they still use m&g codes for programming? I used to write programs a long time ago for 2 Swiss style cnc machines in a screw machine shop.

Oh absolutely. Depending on the application we might use cad/cam to generate the code but at the end it's still g-code.

“Scummy” in your opinion. What “scummy” corporations do you support? :smirk:

I’ve been a buyer “supporter” of all three of those corporations for several years and don’t have any problems with any of them so why would I switch?

IBM, LG, AT&T, Spectrum, Amazon, Wal-Mart. There may be others but those are the ones I can think of right now.

I don't like supporting these companies and as such am trying to avoid them as best I can. However that's easier said than done.

Need is the wrong word there, while we might all need a cell phone of some sort we don't need smartphones and we don't need game consoles. We want those things just like I don't need a pc but I want one over a console.

You guys act like I'm attacking you for preferring a console over a pc. I didn't say it's better, I said it offers more options at the cost of ease of use. You guys obviously prefer less options to have greater ease of use.

I prefer options and customization and if that means I gotta troubleshoot every now and then to get stuff working properly then so be it. That's all learning experience to me.

Given my trade is cnc machining I'm all about learning how to troubleshoot computers and software and this and that. Even if it's not exactly the same as what I'm doing for work it all ties in one way or another.

I don't feel or act like you are attacking me. Just seems like every 2nd post of yours is about promoting pc, or Tarkov and beam.

It is annoying, but not to the point I would get aggressive about it. You are entitled to your opinion, but I do find it weird you are posting big time on a forum for a game you will likely never buy, and for a platform you will never own. To each their own I guess.
  • While I am in a way promoting those games I'm more trying to illustrate that small devs can and do make really quality games.

The difference between them and this game is time. Also the planned obsolescence of this game is also a driving factor in holding off on a feature until you can market it for the next version.
  • I’ve never played Fallout nor do I plan to but is there a message board for that game I can go constantly post my opinions on irrelevant things?

:smile:
    I’ve never played Fallout nor do I plan to but is there a message board for that game I can go constantly post my opinions on irrelevant things?

:smile:

So I've never played nhl 18, I was posting exclusively in the nhl general forum until ea decided to bury it in the nhl 17 section despite it being nhl general.

Plus I still play NHL Legacy every now and then. It's not like I've never played the game just not the new versions. However according to many and what I see the game really hasn't changed much at all.