EA Forums - Banner

Last minute of play....

Prev1
Is it just me or do goals get scored in the last minute of periods (mostly third) way more than they should? I get that people should "play better D" but sometimes you cannot just play good defensively to stop it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well?

Replies

• There are threads on this. Teams and players will press harder to score in the last minute and the last minute is real time so there is more time for it to happen. Do a search and youll find more threads
  • This happens to me all the time. Computer AI likes to step up their game in the last minute. Last 10 seconds especially. The full length minute definitely makes it seem worse.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    The last minute is not the issue. It's fine that more goals are scored in the last minute, since it's played in real time, which means it's the equivalent, roughly, of about 6 minutes of normal game time.

The real issue is the last 10 seconds. Way too many goals are scored in the last 10 seconds of periods. That's true in both offline and online modes. It's true of humans and it's true of AI players. The devs continue to insist there's nothing different about the way goalies play in the last 10 seconds of the period, but I think that's plainly false. (I'm not saying they're lying. I'm saying there's something screwy about the way goalie coding works in the last 10 seconds.) The numbers don't lie - the frequency with which goals are scored in the last 10 seconds is totally out of whack with the frequency of goals in the rest of the game.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    The last minute is not the issue. It's fine that more goals are scored in the last minute, since it's played in real time, which means it's the equivalent, roughly, of about 6 minutes of normal game time.

The real issue is the last 10 seconds. Way too many goals are scored in the last 10 seconds of periods. That's true in both offline and online modes. It's true of humans and it's true of AI players. The devs continue to insist there's nothing different about the way goalies play in the last 10 seconds of the period, but I think that's plainly false. (I'm not saying they're lying. I'm saying there's something screwy about the way goalie coding works in the last 10 seconds.) The numbers don't lie - the frequency with which goals are scored in the last 10 seconds is totally out of whack with the frequency of goals in the rest of the game.

What numbers? You got some data charts you're not sharing with the class? I'd like to see the data over 1000s of games and see how many goals are scored in the last ten seconds over a large number of games.

What numbers? You got some data charts you're not sharing with the class? I'd like to see the data over 1000s of games and see how many goals are scored in the last ten seconds over a large number of games.

If you actually owned and played the game, you would be able to make up your own mind and not need a chart.

If you actually owned and played the game, you would be able to make up your own mind and not need a chart.

I do own an NHL game and have played through the years and these complaints have been around as long as the internet. I never noticed it as an issue what with my GAA being around 1.4 per game. and 40 some shutouts in about 80 wins in vs on 13. So this being a supposed issue is nothing new to the series but even in the past I never noticed it as a problem while many did.

I do own an NHL game and have played through the years and these complaints have been around as long as the internet. I never noticed it as an issue what with my GAA being around 1.4 per game. and 40 some shutouts in about 80 wins in vs on 13. So this being a supposed issue is nothing new to the series but even in the past I never noticed it as a problem while many did.

Then continue with 13 and all is good. Only 1 generation and 5 years have passed..... You don't see it as an issue, then move on. No big deal.

Then continue with 13 and all is good. Only 1 generation and 5 years have passed..... You don't see it as an issue, then move on. No big deal.

I find it very amusing that many on these forums find my opinions meaningless only because I have stopped senselessly shelling out money to play a subpar game that they all continue to pay for and talk about how they hate every single little aspect. I say the game is good, I'm an idiot and should play it. I say the game is bad, I'm an idiot and should play it. I say it hasn't changed, I'm an idiot and should play it.

Instead of reading what I say and thinking about how it possibly applies to the current game you ignore it and avoid any possible discussion about these points.

Think about it, why are more goals happening for some people late in games but not others? Maybe it is because some people are more defensively minded. Maybe some people aren't afraid to dump the puck out of their end even though it results in a turnover. Maybe some people are just better at playing defense than others and those who aren't as good would rather find some fault in the game than admit they need to work on an aspect of their game to be better.

Much easier to blame others than it is to look at yourself to find fault and look to improve.

I find it very amusing that many on these forums find my opinions meaningless only because I have stopped senselessly shelling out money to play a subpar game that they all continue to pay for and talk about how they hate every single little aspect. I say the game is good, I'm an **** and should play it. I say the game is bad, I'm an **** and should play it. I say it hasn't changed, I'm an **** and should play it.

Instead of reading what I say and thinking about how it possibly applies to the current game you ignore it and avoid any possible discussion about these points.

Think about it, why are more goals happening for some people late in games but not others? Maybe it is because some people are more defensively minded. Maybe some people aren't afraid to dump the puck out of their end even though it results in a turnover. Maybe some people are just better at playing defense than others and those who aren't as good would rather find some fault in the game than admit they need to work on an aspect of their game to be better.

Much easier to blame others than it is to look at yourself to find fault and look to improve.

Well, for one, you're on the forum for nhl18 general discussion. In order to discuss nhl 18 it would help if you actually played the game, eh bud?

But your point is valid, I would like to see a chart because I personally feel like the last 30 is prime time to score. I don't have any quantifiable data to support that but I've played enough of this game and the last four years to help support my assumption. But I'm way to lazy to do it, and I'm trying to run thru my backlog of pc games.

But don't just dismiss people especially when you don't play the game. Bmh had provided probably some of the best analysis of these games with video proof for a few years now. His word is good enough for me.
  • This issue is as old as "Rubber Banding", "Comeback Logic" and "Frozen Water Tilt" and it's probably all the same.

It's there. It's implemented into the game since "NHL94".

You feel it happening. One Minute to go and your AI is becoming obsolete [not that your AI players were any good to begin with].
    Your 93-ranked goalie gives up the cheapest/easiest goals while your D is standing around lolly-gagging and the CPU opponent scores with a couple of Seconds to go.

This algorithm is here to stay and I'm not saying it cannot be defeated, but it's just another cheap way of making this game's difficulty setting harder.

Again, it's like playing a FPS and the enemy AI is not getting better by changing strategies instead they become bullet sponges. Different game types - same cheap difficulty assessment.
  • That is called artificial difficulty. It's a huge problem with many games.
  • That is called artificial difficulty. It's a huge problem with many games.

I absolutely agree!

But now you have to combine the user input and the artificial difficulty.

In an FPS you don't have to deal with a broken skating system.

And I don't even want to touch the - still, after all those years - broken collision detection.

On top of that you have deal with mis-management as far as the resources go.
    Why on earth would you implement a new game mode without fixing the basics?

You build a stable foundation FIRST, then you build the house. You don't mickey-mouse around a flawed base.
    Sooner or later that shady, flimsy, unstable house that EA build will collapse.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Bmh245 wrote: »

I find it very amusing that many on these forums find my opinions meaningless only because I have stopped senselessly shelling out money to play a subpar game that they all continue to pay for and talk about how they hate every single little aspect. I say the game is good, I'm an **** and should play it. I say the game is bad, I'm an **** and should play it. I say it hasn't changed, I'm an **** and should play it.

You're absolutely right with the varying styles of play. I don't see any more goals in the last minute than other parts of the game and there's a good chance that's based on differences in how people play. However, you also talk as if you play the current game. You say you won't shell out money for a sub-par game, but you really haven't even tried it so you can't really form an opinion on your own experience. Only what you see others saying. I know my opinions here are unpopular, but at least I play the game and have formed them based on my own experiences.
  • petejenkev wrote: »
    That is called artificial difficulty. It's a huge problem with many games.

I absolutely agree!

But now you have to combine the user input and the artificial difficulty.

In an FPS you don't have to deal with a broken skating system.

And I don't even want to touch the - still, after all those years - broken collision detection.

On top of that you have deal with mis-management as far as the resources go.
    Why on earth would you implement a new game mode without fixing the basics?

You build a stable foundation FIRST, then you build the house. You don't mickey-mouse around a flawed base.
    Sooner or later that shady, flimsy, unstable house that EA build will collapse.

And when it does we'll be clamoring for a hockey game and hopefully 2K is there to pick us up and dust us off.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    petejenkev wrote: »
    This issue is as old as "Rubber Banding", "Comeback Logic" and "Frozen Water Tilt" and it's probably all the same.

You feel it happening. One Minute to go and your AI is becoming obsolete [not that your AI players were any good to begin with].
    Your 93-ranked goalie gives up the cheapest/easiest goals while your D is standing around lolly-gagging and the CPU opponent scores with a couple of Seconds to go.

This algorithm is here to stay and I'm not saying it cannot be defeated, but it's just another cheap way of making this game's difficulty setting harder.

Again, it's like playing a FPS and the enemy AI is not getting better by changing strategies instead they become bullet sponges. Different game types - same cheap difficulty assessment.

This doesn't exist at all in the current game. It hasn't for years if it ever has. If you're playing an all AI team and they are down, they will fight harder to come back. They take more chances and play more aggressively. You can also defend it. Against a human controlled team though, nothing scripts the outcome like you're eluding to. Most people just fail to admit where they gave their opponent the chance to score. Sometimes you need to let go of your pride and admit you got beat. They may be less skilled than you, but I'd be willing to bet you've won games where you were dominated also. You took advantage of the chances you were given.
  • I think there's a slight chance that there's some kind of coding. I mean anything is possible right?
    That being said ...I highly doubt it. In the last minute of play ... players tend to lose their minds. Which can be good or bad, taking chances etc.
  • same issues over and over....

Yes a.i. goes on steroids for the last minute,"IF" any one has the commentary on you can hear them call it before it happens.

same in madden...
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

You're absolutely right with the varying styles of play. I don't see any more goals in the last minute than other parts of the game and there's a good chance that's based on differences in how people play. However, you also talk as if you play the current game. You say you won't shell out money for a sub-par game, but you really haven't even tried it so you can't really form an opinion on your own experience. Only what you see others saying. I know my opinions here are unpopular, but at least I play the game and have formed them based on my own experiences.

By that logic if I read reviews that a specific car being bought has a high chance of being a lemon and is riddled with lots of other issues. I can't form an opinion on it unless I buy it as a test drive wouldn't be enough to see the problems.

I'm perfectly capable of reading conflicting opinions, watching videos and other reviews and formulating my own opinion on something without actually having it in my hands.

In my very specific situation because I don't own a console and would only play one game on it if I did due to every other game being better to play on PC it would cost me ~$270 just to try this game out. Does that sound worth it to you? Just to try something you already are fairly certain you are not going to enjoy.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    This issue is as old as "Rubber Banding", "Comeback Logic" and "Frozen Water Tilt" and it's probably all the same.

This doesn't exist at all in the current game. It hasn't for years if it ever has. If you're playing an all AI team and they are down, they will fight harder to come back. They take more chances and play more aggressively. You can also defend it. Against a human controlled team though, no
    Sinbin wrote: »

This doesn't exist at all in the current game. It hasn't for years if it ever has. If you're playing an all AI team and they are down, they will fight harder to come back. They take more chances and play more aggressively. You can also defend it. Against a human controlled team though, nothing scripts the outcome like you're eluding to. Most people just fail to admit where they gave their opponent the chance to score. Sometimes you need to let go of your pride and admit you got beat. They may be less skilled than you, but I'd be willing to bet you've won games where you were dominated also. You took advantage of the chances you were given.

I never said you can't defend it and I also agree, that - most of the times - the AI goes into god mode during the last minute, BUT at the same time YOUR AI is rendered lobotomized in key situations.

Again, I don't say you can't defend it and I don't say it happens EVERY game, BUT I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this "logic" is implemented in the series since "NHL94".
  • It does happen more than it should. It’s not the goal that is bothersome but how it’s scored. The puck becomes glued to their sticks, you can sense it coming, and it’s usually just a lame shot the goalie should stop.