EA Forums - Banner

Forced pick ups, forced carries, forced directions

All of the forced action is a gameplay killer. The forced pick ups, the forced movement on a face off win, the forced directions on pick ups around the net, they are all ridiculous.

The gameplay is so far removed from your own hands it's absurd at this point.

It's painful when you have time and you see a lane for an outlet pass as you're chasing a loose puck and the animations take over and leave you helpless for a full second. No pass input is accepted, no change of direction input is accepted, no ability to override the games animations.

Fix this crap.

Replies

• EpiCxOwNeD
    638 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Don't forget to add players ignoring your pass usually along the boards

Here's a clip of what I mean

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/42050652
  • All they need to do is give us pickups from last gen and the problem would be solved. I don't see how anyone likes this new automation over what we had, it's worse in every way.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

It's not just along the boards where that happens. It's anywhere on the ice. Your skater appears to be stuck in a back-skate animation with an EA-determined path to a certain spot on the ice, and while stuck in this animation they have zero ability to react to what's happening on the ice around them. It isn't just a split-second where this happens either. You can watch them just sailing on across the ice with no intent or purpose...another great EA-ism.

That was just **** timing. Had you not switched players I think the AI would have snagged that pass. But I definitely agree on players ignoring passes in general. In that instance I think it was just unfortunate timing for when you switched to the player receiving that pass

It's not just along the boards where that happens. It's anywhere on the ice. Your skater appears to be stuck in a back-skate animation with an EA-determined path to a certain spot on the ice, and while stuck in this animation they have zero ability to react to what's happening on the ice around them. It isn't just a split-second where this happens either. You can watch them just sailing on across the ice with no intent or purpose...another great EA-ism.

Turn off Auto Back skate in the settings. I find this problem to be much less frequent having turned this setting off
  • I always play with it off. I'm talking about the AI controlled skaters here. They go sliding and gliding across the rink like they are stuck in that motion for no reason. The puck literally passes right through them like they aren't even there.
  • Most of the time great players can overcome this carp, but its absurd you not only have to fight yoir opponent , but also the poor mechancincs built on an even poorer engine that is built on the worse servers/network/coding/matchmaking

But oh boy does it suck when you lose a close game because the game screws you(as the OP details )

That was just **** timing. Had you not switched players I think the AI would have snagged that pass. But I definitely agree on players ignoring passes in general. In that instance I think it was just unfortunate timing for when you switched to the player receiving that pass

I didn't switch players. Sometimes in this game when you pass it switches players for you. Send the puck around the boards in a game and you'll notice how the game will switch players for you instead of you doing it yourself.

• I wish they would scrap the entire game engine and just retry. Get rid of the skating, get rid of the seamless puck pickups, get rid of the terrible servers, get rid of everything and just build "literally from the ground up." This gen of games is a failure, the only question is, how bad does it have to get before EA realizes this fact?
  • I wish they would scrap the entire game engine and just retry. Get rid of the skating, get rid of the seamless puck pickups, get rid of the terrible servers, get rid of everything and just build "literally from the ground up." This gen of games is a failure, the only question is, how bad does it have to get before EA realizes this fact?

Sales and profits have to totally dwindle or disappear entirely for them to realize. They only realized their issue with star wars because of pressure from Disney to avoid bad pr.

Well everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY would have to stop pouring money into HUT packs like they are going out of style. If that doesn't happen they will keep laughing straight to the bank all day every day.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I didn't switch players. Sometimes in this game when you pass it switches players for you. Send the puck around the boards in a game and you'll notice how the game will switch players for you instead of you doing it yourself.

Is it not switching to the player that is intended for the pass though? I send the puck around the boards all the time and it's never been a problem. I have seen players get switched when you pass to them. It happens just a moment before they actually receive it. Since that's the player I want to control, it's never an issue.
  • It's an issue when the pass gets intercepted or bounces back to the passer, but now control is on the wrong person that I never switched to. It shouldn't _auto_ switch to the person accepting the pass until they receive the puck. And it should let me _manually_ change it to that person if I want while the pass is still in motion. Am I the only one that expects that to just be the normal behavior?

One of the many playability reasons that caused me to delete this game. It's not worth playing when I have to fight what should be functional core game mechanics.

Everyone says "it's ok because they just don't sell as much as fifa/madden/whatever so it doesn't get the resources. Well maybe they don't sell as much as they potentially could because the game has been more frustrating than it's worth to play for a few years now. I'm not saying it will necessarily be as popular as some of the other sports games, but I feel the demand for a hockey game it is being massively underrepresented by using metrics of a single flawed product. And it's definitely a profitable venture, if one could get licensing from the NHL.

And for what it's worth, the developers are likely at the mercy of the Corporate and Product folks, which ultimately are the ones responsible for what is put out.
  • It's an issue when the pass gets intercepted or bounces back to the passer, but now control is on the wrong person that I never switched to. It shouldn't _auto_ switch to the person accepting the pass until they receive the puck. And it should let me _manually_ change it to that person if I want while the pass is still in motion. Am I the only one that expects that to just be the normal behavior?

One of the many playability reasons that caused me to delete this game. It's not worth playing when I have to fight what should be functional core game mechanics.

Everyone says "it's ok because they just don't sell as much as fifa/madden/whatever so it doesn't get the resources. Well maybe they don't sell as much as they potentially could because the game has been more frustrating than it's worth to play for a few years now. I'm not saying it will necessarily be as popular as some of the other sports games, but I feel the demand for a hockey game it is being massively underrepresented by using metrics of a single flawed product. And it's definitely a profitable venture, if one could get licensing from the NHL.

And for what it's worth, the developers are likely at the mercy of the Corporate and Product folks, which ultimately are the ones responsible for what is put out.

BOOM. This is THE reason right here.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    It's an issue when the pass gets intercepted or bounces back to the passer, but now control is on the wrong person that I never switched to. It shouldn't _auto_ switch to the person accepting the pass until they receive the puck. And it should let me _manually_ change it to that person if I want while the pass is still in motion. Am I the only one that expects that to just be the normal behavior?

Yeah, it would be good to be able to disable the auto-switching. I can understand that for sure.