EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Deflections in the game are horrible.

I'm sure I can't be the only one that's noticed this. Majority of the time my shots that get "deflected" just end up being chopped down and stop the puck going to the net. Because of this I hope my shots from the point don't get deflected from one of my players.

Replies

• Defelections are pretty f'd in this year's game. I think this is due to deflections going in a little too often last year so typcial EA overreaction was to make it almost impossible to get a deflection this year. The only success I have had is to position my skater off to the side of the net rather than directly in front of the goalie, even at that I've only had a few go in. When standing in front of the goalie the 'deflection' usually just knocks the puck down completely without it getting through to the net.
  • Defelections are pretty f'd in this year's game. I think this is due to deflections going in a little too often last year so typcial EA overreaction was to make it almost impossible to get a deflection this year. The only success I have had is to position my skater off to the side of the net rather than directly in front of the goalie, even at that I've only had a few go in. When standing in front of the goalie the 'deflection' usually just knocks the puck down completely without it getting through to the net.

so u want game to auto score for u just bc u skating around front of the net? i wish they made deflections even more manual. its a joke how game can score a goal for you just bc u standing in front of the net. scoring should be 100% user input.
  • RSall14
    503 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Deflections are junk this year. Last year they were on the op side and now they're underpowered. I don't understand why it's so hard for them to find a happy medium. It clearly needed to be tested further before they went ahead with the change.
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    Defelections are pretty f'd in this year's game. I think this is due to deflections going in a little too often last year so typcial EA overreaction was to make it almost impossible to get a deflection this year. The only success I have had is to position my skater off to the side of the net rather than directly in front of the goalie, even at that I've only had a few go in. When standing in front of the goalie the 'deflection' usually just knocks the puck down completely without it getting through to the net.

so u want game to auto score for u just bc u skating around front of the net? i wish they made deflections even more manual. its a joke how game can score a goal for you just bc u standing in front of the net. scoring should be 100% user input.

How would you make deflections manually controlled in H2H modes? There's no way for any human to react quick enough to take a one-timer and then switch to deflect the shot. So what's your proposal? Take deflections - which are a huge part of NHL hockey - out of the game?

• This discussion reminds me of when hockey video games switched from the dice roll to decide if you beat the goalie to using physics. However this goes to show some of that dice roll is still there.

You take a point shot, there's a percent chance it's deflected and then a percent chance that deflection is saved. Both are based on the attributes of the players involved. Is the dice roll really removed or just hidden better?

Imo deflections shouldn't be automatic but they can't be fully manual either. Maybe you have a button press before you shoot to have guys get ready to deflect the shot.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • Ever notice on a point shot, the puck never deflects wide of the net? This happens very frequently in real-life games on all levels!!!
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    Ever notice on a point shot, the puck never deflects wide of the net? This happens very frequently in real-life games on all levels!!!

Hmm that's interesting, I think you may be correct. I've had shots going way wide be deflected on net but I don't think I've seen a deflection go wide.
    Steam: Dinkus The Stinkus https://kek.gg/u/32_H7
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    I'm sure I can't be the only one that's noticed this. Majority of the time my shots that get "deflected" just end up being chopped down and stop the puck going to the net. Because of this I hope my shots from the point don't get deflected from one of my players.

Deflections are fine. IMO, they're still a little overpowered and mostly ridiculous looking. Check this out:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheCreaseTV/video/42093556

Nice deflection... Too bad the angle of the stick doesn't make sense for how the puck deflects off it. But let's not look into the "realism" of the deflection. Or the fact that the player is never looking AT the shooter in the first place.

My main beef with deflections in this game is that the Goalie Screening Effect is too low and the Goalie Screening Persistance is much too high. It should be inversed. Make the screen effect higher (60-70) and make the Screen Persistance lower (25-30).
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Deflections are fine. IMO, they're still a little overpowered and mostly ridiculous looking. Check this out:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheCreaseTV/video/42093556

Nice deflection... Too bad the angle of the stick doesn't make sense for how the puck deflects off it. But let's not look into the "realism" of the deflection. Or the fact that the player is never looking AT the shooter in the first place.

My main beef with deflections in this game is that the Goalie Screening Effect is too low and the Goalie Screening Persistance is much too high. It should be inversed. Make the screen effect higher (60-70) and make the Screen Persistance lower (25-30).

I wouldn't say they're op as they were last year. Players seem to chop down the puck more for me instead of deflecting them.

• mikeyflex wrote: »
    Ever notice on a point shot, the puck never deflects wide of the net? This happens very frequently in real-life games on all levels!!!
    It is way too visible that in this game the puck has "a calculated target" in certain situations, thus the game feels scripted quite often.

Even though there might already be too much randomness in this game, I'd like to see more of it in those situations (deflections, results of poke checks etc.).
  • Deflections are terrible this year but were too good the year before. They need to find the middle ground on deflections and also find a way for deflections to simply miss the net.
    Defelections are pretty f'd in this year's game. I think this is due to deflections going in a little too often last year so typcial EA overreaction was to make it almost impossible to get a deflection this year. The only success I have had is to position my skater off to the side of the net rather than directly in front of the goalie, even at that I've only had a few go in. When standing in front of the goalie the 'deflection' usually just knocks the puck down completely without it getting through to the net.

No, not at all. I'd be fine with a more manual deflection system. However, if they are going to give us an automated system the least they could do is make it work properly. Watch a hockey game or two, you will see 'front of the net' deflections are fairly common but that mechanism simply doesn't work in this year's game. As I stated in my post, deflections were way overpowered last year but rather than balance it out they simply made it so that front of the net deflections almost never even get to the net (I haven't seen on go in yet but I'm not going to state that it's entirely impossible).

How about, oh I don't know, maybe some logic to deflections? Say like being set and in position, rather than just flying by the crease just as a shot happens to be coming to the net?

As it is, you can literally just blow by the crease, not looking at the puck at all, and yet deflect it. Not logical.
  • Yeah in EASHL the defence can knock loaded up clappers with the blade of the stick like it’s nothing, when IRL it would splinter and shatter the blade. Gets a bit annoying
    "Tell me all about it Ted, every detail, dot every comma"- Tug Benson
  • This discussion reminds me of when hockey video games switched from the dice roll to decide if you beat the goalie to using physics. However this goes to show some of that dice roll is still there.

You take a point shot, there's a percent chance it's deflected and then a percent chance that deflection is saved. Both are based on the attributes of the players involved. Is the dice roll really removed or just hidden better?

Imo deflections shouldn't be automatic but they can't be fully manual either. Maybe you have a button press before you shoot to have guys get ready to deflect the shot.

There's literally always a dice roll when it comes to scoring in this series. This is evidenced by the fact that you could take the same shot from the same exact spot multiple times and get different results. This is the case even when the situation is exactly the same (1v1 with a goalie for example). Dice rolls are always involved in scoring.
  • http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/EpiCxOwNeD/video/42332435

Crosby stops the shots from going to the net. Infuriating when this happens in an online game.
  • I said it before,I'll say it again. Deflections are too automatic,screens are too automatic..both should be manual like in the old 2K games.