EA Forums - Banner

Why is stick-lifting/tying a penalty worthy move?

Sgt_Kelso
1325 posts Member
edited February 2018
I was under the impression it's not, but in this game you can get a penalty real easy if you stick lift anywhere else but in front of the goal to tie up the opponent's stick, and if you do it for even a moment too long? I am talking about the function of keeping the X pressed, not just pressing it once to take a slashing penalty... :#

Shouldn't it be like the front of the net showing and pushing which should rarely be a penalty unless it's a proper cross-check or whatever, and it's the players job to get out the bind? Or are the NHL rules different? It's really annoying this useful defensive tool is so penalty prone.

Replies

• Turn off high sticking hooking and slashing and u to can play like the computer ..I never use the stick lift ..I can get stick lifted 4 times in a row I do it once I get a penalty . I like my guys stick getting hit out of his hands and he skates around until a whistle or the other team scores that's always fun.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    That doesn't help in online modes though.
  • The tie-up function definitely could use a little work. Unless you're in front of the net (which I recommend using the hold 'Y' or 'Triangle' net battle in this scenario), I don't know if there's really a good reason to hold stick-lift anywhere else on the ice. Certainly never use it anywhere unless you are absolutely squared-up face to face though. I get some good success with the move, not as much when holding X/A though.
  • The_B_0_G
    593 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I'd just love if puck protect and stick lift wasn't the same button, I've gotten so many penalties trying to puck protect and ending up high sticking someone who knocked the puck off my stick.
    Post edited by The_B_0_G on
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Couldn't agree more. The strength, sudden "jerk" that players do for stick lifts rarely has enough for the stick to travel all the way up to the face. I guess EA just didn't want us to spam it? Either way it's awful.

And I've gotten a penalty numerous times with the puck at our feet, and tying the guy up so my AI could get the puck. What I thought was a realistic, and cool-feeling move on my part EA found to be a penalty so.. no idea what to say anymore with these developers. Sick of the whole thing.
    The_B_0_G wrote: »
    I'd just love if puck protect and stick lift wasn't the same button, I've gotten so many penalties trying to puck protect and ending up high sticking someone who knocked to puck off my stick.

Absolutely 100%. And how about body checking? I hold up on the stick for 1Ts when in the slot, near the net as I don't want EA's game to do that "get possession first" thing before you shoot while the goalie gets into position, but have just decked people trying to play offense.
  • Last year in NHL 17 I used the stick tie up a lot as a center. Not only just in front of my own net, if I ended up losing the draw I had just taken I was able to tie up the other center immediately for a winger to pick up the puck.
    My first game in NHL 18 I was kicked for poor teamplay halfway through the first period for 4-5 interference penaltys lol.

Also, it annoys me not being able to tie up sticks in front of my own net easily, sometimes it doesnt register. Other times you have to stop and engage a net battle with Y/triangle then move to A/X and hold that button to tie up...by the time I finish doing all of that, they already scored.