EA Forums - Banner

Tick Rate?

MetalMilitia623
1464 posts Member
edited February 2018
@NHLDev @EA_Roger @NHL_ONL_Producer and who ever else it may concern. What is the tick rate of the NHL online servers?

Replies

• Don't hold your breath... :#
  • Could you possibly deduce it from the L&R stick changes in replays? It always shows sticks of the person with the puck, even if its an opponent. I assume you receive those values on every update.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    Could you possibly deduce it from the L&R stick changes in replays? It always shows sticks of the person with the puck, even if its an opponent. I assume you receive those values on every update.

Ummm, what?
  • I'm not sure either but I don't think it's something you can see really. Especially since those replays are likely entirely client side.
  • Great, now we gotta add to the list:

- Net Code
    - Ice Tilt
    - Traceroute
    - DNS servers
    - Lag balance
    - skill gap compression
    - EA tick rates on servers are too low
  • Ummm, what?

When you play for example online versus, in instant replays you always see the joystick positions of the player with the puck. You see controls changes from your opponent also.

I checked a replay from my last game and the controls from my opponent appeared to update on my end roughly 25 times per second.

Sure this doesn’t answer the original question, but data from my opponent was delivered to me at least that often.
    Ummm, what?

When you play for example online versus, in instant replays you always see the joystick positions of the player with the puck. You see controls changes from your opponent also.

I checked a replay from my last game and the controls from my opponent appeared to update on my end roughly 25 times per second.

Sure this doesn’t answer the original question, but data from my opponent was delivered to me at least that often.

That's actually quite fascinating. I'm sure one could deduce tick rate from that info.

In my experience, UFC devs always stated tick rate was 30. Could be different for NHL, but your discovery of 25 seems like they could be similar.
    Ummm, what?

That's actually quite fascinating. I'm sure one could deduce tick rate from that info.

In my experience, UFC devs always stated tick rate was 30. Could be different for NHL, but your discovery of 25 seems like they could be similar.

Interesting that one ea sports developer gives this information readily to the fans and another is completely hush regarding it. Hmm. Hiding something?
  • Bumping this because I think this information could help many people who have connection issues with this game. It could shed light on the true source of the issues and assist in finding a solution.
  • trw1987
    396 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Would someone mind explaining to me what tick rate is? Anyways, please I have no idea what tick rate is, if someone wouldnt mind
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • untouchable_BF1
    953 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    trw1987 wrote: »
    Would someone mind explaining to me what tick rate is? Anyways, please I have no idea what tick rate is, if someone wouldnt mind

How fast the servers are refreshed in simple terms. FPS usually don’t dip below 60. R6:S has horrible tick rates at first. I’d suggest looking that whole conversation up to get a good grasp on what it is.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • It is how many times in one second the servers are receiving the client data and vise versa. So ten ticks per second is ten updates in one second. 128 tick is 128 updates per second, etc, etc.
  • It is how many times in one second the servers are receiving the client data and vise versa. So ten ticks per second is ten updates in one second. 128 tick is 128 updates per second, etc, etc.

Awesome, is there any way the average schmuck can find this info?
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    It is how many times in one second the servers are receiving the client data and vise versa. So ten ticks per second is ten updates in one second. 128 tick is 128 updates per second, etc, etc.

Awesome, is there any way the average schmuck can find this info?

Do you mean the Wikipedia article about it or what the rate is for a specific game?

I'm not sure for consoles but I know on pc some games allow you to get a lot of network information from the game to help diagnose any networking issues you might have.

8dSdw9.jpg

This is something that is controlled by the server you are connecting to. Some above in this thread have an idea that may have gotten them close to the tick rate for this game but I couldn't tell you one way or the other as I haven't played it myself.