EA Forums - Banner

Uncontroversial topic – Offsides

Prev1
Since I don't want to offend anyone by discussing topics EA might find offensive.
I want to discuss the interesting and important aspect of offsides.
As many of you would know, a lot of players in EASHL drop ins feel they should be passed the puck as soon as possible. If they feel you're a bit slow in fulfilling this task, they will start to deliberately skate into offside.

This is from HUT:

Even though it absolutely represents human behavior in this game,
I vote that just that charming part of it could be left out.

Replies

• Easy solution add vote kick to eashl. Only a unanimous vote will get them kicked. Obviously you can't vote for yourself.
  • Even easier solution: a grade system that kicks you when you drop to a certain level.

Hmmmm....
  • It's offside....not offsides.

The ai looked like it was expecting a pass and you either didn't see it, or deliberately ignored it to skate it in.

There is no problem there i can see. You could have turned back to avoid the off side call. Slow reaction speed and questionable choice in play is all i see.
  • Easy solution add vote kick to eashl. Only a unanimous vote will get them kicked. Obviously you can't vote for yourself.

The video clip was from hut. Can't kick the ai.
    I think thier point is that they believes the ai is as bad with going off side as the standard drop in scrub.

Their clip doesn't exactly illustrate this well though. Unless he/she/it meant something entirely different than what they wrote.
  • It's offside....not offsides.

The ai looked like it was expecting a pass and you either didn't see it, or deliberately ignored it to skate it in.

There is no problem there i can see. You could have turned back to avoid the off side call. Slow reaction speed and questionable choice in play is all i see.

The only thing is if he makes that pass, it's to a dead still player. He then would take an extra second to get going because there's no acceleration with this skating engine, so you might as well carry the puck in with speed. Same result, except now you have advantage on defense rather than 3 guys likely to enter the zone on the same plane.

If the skating engine wasn't horrific it'd be the right play.
  • The video clip was from hut. Can't kick the ai.
    I think thier point is that they believes the ai is as bad with going off side as the standard drop in scrub.

Their clip doesn't exactly illustrate this well though. Unless he/she/it meant something entirely different than what they wrote.

Hey, thanks for explaining what I meant.
    Just thought it was funny how I skate the puck right up that waiting LW, instead of passing it.
    Then he replies with jumping into the zone ahead of me.
    Pretty much like an irritated human would do in drop-ins.
    And worst of it all is he actually would have a point.
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    The issue here is people refuse to play a SIM style but choose to play Arcade. Play with real hockey plays and you'l be alright!.
    Hey I play realistic hockey on 14 and have on NHL 15 XBOX ONE and had no issues with things you show on here!
    Share the puck instead of playing it like a YO YO.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    The only thing is if he makes that pass, it's to a dead still player. He then would take an extra second to get going because there's no acceleration with this skating engine, so you might as well carry the puck in with speed. Same result, except now you have advantage on defense rather than 3 guys likely to enter the zone on the same plane.

If the skating engine wasn't horrific it'd be the right play.

LOL, now I feel the need to thank you.
    What you're saying was my initial response, since all the players suffer from TPS-syndrome they have no explosiveness. So skate it in, drop it back OR pass to that standstill guy THEN pass it to incoming C/D.
    I also felt the urge to inform him, that just before that clip I had a few passes not connecting, and that's why I chose to try the carry option instead.
    Then I saw how he felt it necessary to tell me that I should've used the single form and not the plural form of the word offside, and said to my self "what's the point?"

What I think happens in that clip is me skating up to the forward, kicks off some "move out of the way" logic in the AI, only there's no "keep yourself onside" logic applied to that routine.
    That's my guess, and the result looks rather stupid, in my eyes.

Anyways, my point of posting clips with things I consider flaws in the gameplay is to bring attention to those flaws, feeding the dev-team with info, so they can fix it.
    BUT posting clips also seems to trigger a reflex in people to showcase their hockey skills, causing them to come on and tell how that play SHOULD have been played.

[EA_Lanna: Removed inappropriate remark. Please do not moderate other users!]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • Offside calls in this game are sometimes very...iffy. I have seen pucks ride the middle of the line without coming out called offside, but by the same token I've seen plays that were miles offside and not called...both benefiting from and being stung by
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    Offside calls in this game are sometimes very...iffy. I have seen pucks ride the middle of the line without coming out called offside, but by the same token I've seen plays that were miles offside and not called...both benefiting from and being stung by

Most likely due to lag. Might seem iffy to you, but very clear to your opponent
  • KidShowtime1867
    1447 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Offside calls are literally made by the pixel, could you provide more information when making that claim about offsides ?

Post edited by @EA_Roger.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Offside calls are literally made by the pixel, could you provide more information when making that claim about offsides?

Didn't somebody post earlier in the year a guy being a foot offside and it didn't register and their opponent walked in and scored? Or was that last year?
  • trw1987
    396 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Offside calls are literally made by the pixel, could you provide more information when making that claim about offsides?

Not misinformed. It's the same with the icing calls. The "race to the dots" means nothing in the game, how many times I've seen either the opposition or myself strides ahead of the defensive player, which IRL negates icing on close races, called.
    Offside calls are literally made by the pixel... so anyone claiming offsides calls are 'iffy' is a little misinformed.

Didn't somebody post earlier in the year a guy being a foot offside and it didn't register and their opponent walked in and scored? Or was that last year?

I think it was. You see it alot on stretch passes...bang bang IRT, but when slowed down in replay sometimes you can clearly see the guy 4 feet into the zone before the puck and it wasn't called. I do wonder if they tried to program "human error" into it
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited February 2018

It's super rare, but there definitely have been times the wrong call was made. I've seen it twice, maybe 3 times in 18.
  • Let's see videos of bad offside calls.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Let's see videos of bad offside calls.

Next time it happens I'll get some video, but like I said, it's incredibly rare for me so chances of it happening again are really slim. The last time it happened I scored on it so I had the video saved in the Action Tracker. This was probably a month or more ago though. I didn't save it.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    trw1987 wrote: »

I feel like your posts are just not constructive. I’ve definitely seen a missed offsides call where a puck was warped through a leg. Obviously I didn’t take a video because I didn’t think it would ever come up in discussion as it is merely a bug, and not a terribly big deal.

May I ask why you’re so concerned with bringing people down and attacking them in this thread? I feel like this thread is full of constructive, casual discussions around offsides and how there might be an odd one here and there that is called incorrectly.

Nobody here is calling for the devs heads because of a small bug that may or may not happen. It’s a casual thread, man. Calm down.

He does it in every thread, even when some people post things admitting that they could be wrong, he'll argue. If it's not his exact idea its wrong.
    I second the motion that th e majority of his comments are the opposite of constructive but sometimes he does raise valid points, albeit in an unneeded belligerent way, but valid.

That being said, he completely neglected where I mentioned that I wonder if it's due to EA trying to recreate human error, which does occur in a real game

No. He has a lot of constructive posts, but people here are so focused on bashing EA and blaming the game for everything that happens instead of taking responsibility for their own play that he's immediately met with opposition. Any time someone speaks up here for the game, its makers and EA, they're pretty much just called out as fan boys and not taken seriously. There's way too much confirmation bias here and it's cool to hate EA so it clouds people's judgement. Is the game perfect? No. Not at all. Is the game forcing you to lose or do they only care about HUT or do the devs know nothing about hockey? All false, but it's not going to stop people from making those assumptions in to their own personal "facts". If you don't share their point of view you're instantly shut down.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    No. He has a lot of constructive posts, but people here are so focused on bashing EA and blaming the game for everything that happens instead of taking responsibility for their own play that he's immediately met with opposition. Any time someone speaks up here for the game, its makers and EA, they're pretty much just called out as fan boys and not taken seriously. There's way too much confirmation bias here and it's cool to hate EA so it clouds people's judgement. Is the game perfect? No. Not at all. Is the game forcing you to lose or do they only care about HUT or do the devs know nothing about hockey? All false, but it's not going to stop people from making those assumptions in to their own personal "facts". If you don't share their point of view you're instantly shut down.
    Cool to see you're standing up for Kid Showtime, there's some brotherly love, right there! I think it's clear to anyone that he is passionate about this game. Actually, I think most guys that post in here are, why else would they be in this little corner of the net?

Back to topic, I have also seen some clear offsides not being called. I think that might be new this year?Anyway, it's really rare, just as you stated.
    In the clip in the original post, there's nothing wrong with the offside call it's more a question of what causes the AI to skate into the offside. That has actually bugged me, for several years though...
    Like when you win the puck on the defensive blueline, go full tilt on the breakaway, only to have your other winger beat you into the zone. That always makes me go "Who the puck goes offside on a play like that??!!"
    Would be cool with some sort of logic to it, now it feels a bit random at times.

I never brought it up, because I think there are more pressuring issues than this one. And that is NOT because I blame the game instead of taking responsibility for my own plays. I am convinced that it is possible to point at faults in the game AND be responsible for your own plays.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited February 2018

Calm down.

I'll try..?

you're out of control man.

B)
  • Are these offside issues only happening during online play?