EA Forums - Banner

Do you think EASHL is dead?

This topic has been talked about a lot in the EASHL community lately and I thought it would be a good idea to make a video on this topic discussing my opinions and thoughts since my Channel is nothing but EASHL content considering I'm a strictly competitive EASHL player.

Let me know what you think about this topic as I would love to hear some answers!

Replies

• Nice video. I appreciate the commentary. I do think this gen has struggled with player numbers and competitive EASHL teams. Skating and the lack of a grind seems to be the biggest issues. If they can fix those two, this game has some serious potential.
  • j483beale
    116 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I think most casual players haven't taken the time to learn how to control their player so they just blame the game for being trash in more ways than whats really wrong with it. I won't say there isn't anything wrong with the game, but having played with certain people they complain about the game when its really just them being bad.

I liked the skating pre-TPS on the old consoles, but with the way the skating is now it makes it easier to play defense.
  • Meh, alot of people are still playing old gen 14 and 15. Some are playing 16 and 17.

Also, around this time of year the game dies off alot. Not surprising to see low numbers actually.

If EA gave up the 25 year old model and actually dumped yearly releases you wouldn't see such a fractured community. HUT is where most of the money is anyways, so just put a 12 month expiry on HUT cards.
  • Yes, what beale said. It's very hard to pick up and play for noobs. I can't get any new friends into it (too hard to learn), and all the folks that do know how to play learned on the previous console and seem to prefer the good ol' days.

For example, I have a good friend who is very good at hockey in real life, and very good at most video games, but cannot do anything on this gen version of NHL. It frustrates him that he cannot do things he can easily do in real life, so he rage quits and doesn't play anymore. As it should - when you play a video game you should feel like a superstar, instead you feel like a total newbie. Even I, as an experienced player, can do amny things in real life hockey that I cannot do in the game, and that's a real problem.
    Founder: The Bayside Tigers (X360) & Bytown Basterds (XB1)
  • EASHL is not dead, but if the controls of your player aren't soon handed back to the user as much as possibly shortly, there is going to be a continuation of complaints and a short shelf life of repeat gamers.

I can't grasp why EA basically dictates what your player does with loose puck pick ups, receiving passes, making passes, etc. I don't understand why EA feels the need to dictate which direction your player automatically begins turning with particular pass receiving on certain areas of ice, especially anything near the goal line. These issues aren't just a small adjustment users can make to adjust, they are situations you have to distinctly avoid at all costs.

It appears EA saw these things as small nuances in the game that they had no interest or budget to ask any of the community what they would like.
  • I don't think it's dead, but it's not getting any new players, and if it is, it's losing more than it's getting. I know bringing this up usually cuts the community in half, but the beginning of the downfall of EASHL was the cookie cutter classes.

After that, it started losing its appeal for me. Grinding for that legend 3 cards was fun, then afterwards you got to tinker with height, weight, and your attributes, they had boosts, different skate blades, stick stiffness, stick blade, it just feels bare now. Everything is cosmetic, most of the cookie cutter classes feel the same as well, some can hit, other's can't, that's what the only difference is it feels like.

That's just EASHL, I think the gameplay is kind of killing the game by itself for a lot of people.
  • ooodjaceooo
    38 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    of course its dead,

Edited by B-Bunny*
    Post edited by B_Bunny on
  • Haven't really had any issues finding opponents myself. Whether i play 6's(less common as getting 6 on at the same time isn't always viable), or 3's (with or without human goalies).

There is definitely a noticeable drop in online numbers for eashl and drop in though, just looking at the number of players using x mode. But it's not dead.

• BeRoose wrote: »
    Yes, what beale said. It's very hard to pick up and play for noobs. I can't get any new friends into it (too hard to learn), and all the folks that do know how to play learned on the previous console and seem to prefer the good ol' days.

For example, I have a good friend who is very good at hockey in real life, and very good at most video games, but cannot do anything on this gen version of NHL. It frustrates him that he cannot do things he can easily do in real life, so he rage quits and doesn't play anymore. As it should - when you play a video game you should feel like a superstar, instead you feel like a total newbie. Even I, as an experienced player, can do amny things in real life hockey that I cannot do in the game, and that's a real problem.

This is why the skating discussion is so important. For this game to grow, or to even reach the competitiveness and energy surrounding EASHL on the previous gen, skating needs to be more intuitive. Like you said, your friend can do hockey stuff in real life 1000 times easier than in this game, and I think we as a community need to step back and say “hey, does that sound right?”

I’m my opinion, no. That definitely doesn’t sound right. Video games should be a place where I can do things I normally can’t do. I can’t catch an NFL bullet pass, but I can in a game. I can’t rainbow flick a soccer ball around a defender, but I can in a video game. NHL at this point has it backwards. I can change direction quickly and still face the puck in real life, but I can’t in a video game??

If people that play hockey, and well from what you say, can’t find enjoyment out of this game, how can a casual player who doesn’t know the first thing about skating, shooting, passing, or maybe even the rules??

This game was huge in 09-11 years because you had non hockey-loving people absolutely loving this game. The accessibility grew the game and the talent pool! It was simply a fun, accessible video game first, hockey game second and I think that’s a direction that needs to be taken again to re-energize this series.

This series is far from dead, it just needs a jump-start. I think we’re 2-3 major fundamental changes to the game away from truly an amazing hockey experience. All we need to do as a community is talk about it in an open, constructive manner, and if possible, speak with our wallets when those discussions go unheard.

I know these devs want to make a good game, but the higher ups may need to be sent a message that 3s mode with money pucks isn’t acceptable. It’s not enough. We need intuitive skating, hitting, and goalies and this game will sell without gimmicks! It’s gameplay would sell itself.

Let’s make it happen everyone.
  • @untouchable_BF1 so where is the learning curve.
  • BarnakeDusty
    39 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    3 things that would revitalize this franchise :

1 - multiple dressing rooms for single clubs to make growing teams much easier, to have more games played and grow some semblance of rivalries back (this existed prior to NHL 13 with a maximum of 50 club members). Got 13 people waiting to play at 8 o'clock? Make three teams and enjoy the rest of the night with your club! you won't lack players!

2 - the return of true vision control (L2 makes you face the puck, that's it - fun factor instantly restored) - (this also existed prior to NHL 13)

3 - a true push/shove checking system that would eliminate the truly outdated board sucking system and that would also make net battles a thing. We only need one face button to activate line changes, the other should be used to trigger push/shove animations that would give the used much more control over positioning and jostling for the puck in any situation.

I would also add that I have a very real grasp on how I would program these things as I work in IT... and I've been an NHL player since the franchise got good, in 2008.
  • j483beale wrote: »
    @untouchable_BF1 so where is the learning curve.

Well where is the learning curve in FIFA? In the running lol? No, of course not. I feel like creating a learning curve when it comes to skating in an NHL game is pretty weird, considering NHLers are all very skilled skaters. Now, being skilled doesn’t mean everyone has the same agility/speed/acceleration (that’s where attributes come in obviously) but most if not all NHLers have the consistent edge work ability to play at that level. Just as a pro soccer player would have the necessary foot skills to run at that level.

Crosby isn’t better than most because he can face the puck more often, everyone can do that when they want. He’s better because he has amazing balance, strength, hands, vision, etc. that’s where the skill gap should come in, imo.

Feel free to disagree, that’s what we’re here for! That’s just my two cents.