EA Forums - Banner

Powerplay down the drain

Here's a powerplay that didn't quite go as planned:

And it makes me go "That easy ... really??!!!"

I think it would be nice if the goalies were slowed down a bit on lateral movement, especially when they are going right then left. That's about 180 pounds of mass ...
But maybe up them a bit when there's a lone shooter?
And that gather the puck with your back skate? Some more consistency would go a long way. Just saying...

Replies

• What's the problem there? It looked fairly typical powerplay really, some shots which the goalie took care of (was it live or bot?) and the penalty killers being overly aggressive and going for the offense, because in this game that's the best time to attack for some reason?

And they scored when the penalty was over already?

Why would you penalise the goalie, it's hard enough to play one? If you can't score against AI goalie, then you're not doing it right. Granted, they sometimes do unebelievable game-savers, but Rangers there didn't really test the goalie that far.

If you want to slow someone down, how about slowing the offensive players when they move laterally with the puck? Almost impossible to follow those with the goalie.
  • It was AI goalie and yes it was a typical power play, while there was no superman saves here, I feel the AI goalie is just a little too quick in shifting his weight side to side, maybe not...?

Then when he just walks in, nullifying my poke with his back skate and snaps it home while under pressure, I get that "He's getting paid way too good" - feel.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    If you want to slow someone down, how about slowing the offensive players when they move laterally with the puck? Almost impossible to follow those with the goalie.
    This I agree with, or maybe speed up the goalie in those situations?
    They are super quick when working the line but really slow on one on ones.
    While there should be a difference in those situations (you can throw yourself harder from side to side when following a puck way out), I think this could benefit from some adjustments.

What I am hoping is they will be able to make moving the puck the best choice in this game, that's all.
  • If you pull your stick forehand or backhand depending on what side you're passing from and handedness, before you make the pass, you'll pull the goalie over just enough that he won't be able to get back in time to save the shot. Most of the time, any way.

I agree with kelso here in that nothing inherently wrong here.

I'm surprised people still complain about goalies on cross creases when they are so easy to score on.
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    You did good! Mayby rushed a shot and didnt wait for a screen..but you did well.
  • I'm with you on this one, Gal. I think the save at 38 seconds is kind of ridiculous. I've seen way worse, in all due fairness, but the fact that this play gets stopped as often as it does is ridiculous. Goalies shouldn't be able to move across laterally at the exact same speed of the puck on a hard pass. I get robbed so many times in VS and even though I've got an awesome record and I play a team style game, it's a shame I feel that the greedy individual rewards much better totals.

You had 2 great scoring opportunities to only get an individual random shot beat the goalie. Their goal was in my opinion of much lower skill caliber. A couple terrible dekes for no reason and then a snap shot and boom goal. I dunno, these small details annoy me which is why I stopped playing VS. I feel like majority of the guys can just walk in, wiggle a stick for no reason and shoot, but setting up a good accurate one-timer doesn't go in as often in my opinion as they should. Especially now that there are tools to defend in this game that are better in years prior, the one-timer goals I'd have no feeling of "Wow, how did that go in?" vs "Yeah should have defended better".

Random shots I feel have the exact same percentage (or at least very close to) as a well set up one-timer. I think that's a major flaw in the game.
  • You did good! Mayby rushed a shot and didnt wait for a screen..but you did well.

Screens are pretty much useless in this game. And not only that, but they add a chance your own teammate blocks the stupid shot for you or creates the worst tip possible on a good shot. I'd advise against screen plays in VS actually.
  • What if they are getting across so fast because they are "reading" pass the whole way? Do they still do it if you sell the shot to freeze them like irl?
  • What if they are getting across so fast because they are "reading" pass the whole way? Do they still do it if you sell the shot to freeze them like irl?

This I wouldn't have a problem with, however I doubt that's the way this game works. I've had give and go's where the goalie stays in pristine position throughout the entire play. And also, I doubt the goalie is reading pass because he's already dropped into the butterfly at 38 seconds. It's a weird choice to add one more step of having to lift and weight transfer your feet and legs to move laterally. If you're on your feet you just shove off of one edge, in butterfly you need to lift knee, plant and then push off. Why would any goalie do that unnecessarily?