EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

This is the worst NHL ever made, absolutely pathetic

Prev13
l3354w72jxfu
36 posts Member
edited February 2018
The controls are not responsive at all

Theres lag when im playing OFFLINE

Theres this random animation where my player receives the puck and is stuck in a backhand

The cpu teammates are stupider than ever, staring off into space in the middle of games

Your players have anchors on their skates and cant accelerate

Goalies are useless

Player switching is worse than ever, why its so hard to switch to the player closest to the puck and not some random idiot facing the wrong way, I have no clue

Its pathetic the game was released like this. The updates made it even worse and the ai even stupider

[Comment edited by @EA_Roger ]
Post edited by EA_Roger on

Replies

• This is what happens when mindless drones buy a product year after year after year... It tells a company that they no longer have to innovative or improve their product because these people will buy it regardless of any of that.

It's the sad state of many major corporations.
  • Failing to innovate or improve would be bad enough but somehow the already bad AI became worse.
  • The game is pretty good...YOU just have to be honest with yourself and work hard to get better...and most importantly have fun
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    The game is pretty good...YOU just have to be honest with yourself and work hard to get better...and most importantly have fun

You know it’s pretty insulting to other members when people throw the “just get better” line at them. It’s such a ridiculous answer to the game’s massive flaws, bugs, and bad AI. I could be rude back and suggest that people who enjoy the game clearly know nothing about hockey but I won’t bevause people have a right to enjoy it just as we have a right to complain about a product we paid for because it’s the only representation of the sport we love. But I will entertain this and ask you to explain how skill level has anything to do with poor teamate AI, freezing, quirky animations, clipping issues, pucks passing through pads, etc.
  • Fair enough.
    Hockey is a team sport. I don't play modes that involve a lot of A.I
    I'm sorry ...but you're stuck in a old gaming concept if you're playing with computers.
    This game plays pretty solid when you're playing with humans.
    And to be really honest... if you know how to play hockey and work with the computers... they are better than 90% of human players.
    I think everybody needs to take a step back and realize how cool it is that we can play the sport we love online....is it perfect no… But it's pretty damn good
  • The controls are not responsive at all

Theres this random animation where my player receives the puck and is stuck in a backhand

The cpu teammates are stupider than ever, staring off into space in the middle of games

Goalies are useless

Player switching is worse than ever, why its so hard to switch to the player closest to the puck and not some random **** facing the wrong way, I have no clue

Its pathetic the game was released like this. The updates made it even worse and the ai even stupider

You clearly never played this game in the late 90s - early 2000’s.
  • While the graphics are great, the gameplay is the worst it has ever been. There is a huge lack of puck control, even the slightest nudge can make you lose the puck, heck you don't even need anybody to touch you to lose the puck. As for the puck well its bounces around more than a tennis ball, it may bounce 5 or 6 times while you defenceman is standing there trying to get ahold of it, by the time it settles your defenceman is clobbered and you lose the puck which you never really had because it just keeps bouncing.
  • While the graphics are great, the gameplay is the worst it has ever been. There is a huge lack of puck control, even the slightest nudge can make you lose the puck, heck you don't even need anybody to touch you to lose the puck. As for the puck well its bounces around more than a tennis ball, it may bounce 5 or 6 times while you defenceman is standing there trying to get ahold of it, by the time it settles your defenceman is clobbered and you lose the puck which you never really had because it just keeps bouncing.

You make it sound like the things you say are fact rather than your opinion. Annoying.

You make it sound like the things you say are fact rather than your opinion. Annoying.

One thing is fact.....the AI is beyond awful.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    While the graphics are great, the gameplay is the worst it has ever been. There is a huge lack of puck control, even the slightest nudge can make you lose the puck, heck you don't even need anybody to touch you to lose the puck. As for the puck well its bounces around more than a tennis ball, it may bounce 5 or 6 times while you defenceman is standing there trying to get ahold of it, by the time it settles your defenceman is clobbered and you lose the puck which you never really had because it just keeps bouncing.

One thing is fact.....the AI is beyond awful.

In my opinion it’s decent. Room for improvement though.

• Fair enough.
    I'm sorry ...but you're stuck in a old gaming concept if you're playing with computers.
    And to be really honest... if you know how to play hockey and work with the computers... they are better than 90% of human players.
    I think everybody needs to take a step back and realize how cool it is that we can play the sport we love online....is it perfect no… But it's pretty **** good

A lot of the guys sharing your view on this is mainly EASHL players.
    This is from their case study on optimized matchmaking:
    "We collected 1-vs-1 matches from a popular game made by EA.
    There are three possible match outcomes, namely Win, Lose and
    Draw. In total, we collected 36.9 million matches played by 1.68
    million unique players in the first half of 2016."
    Suggesting that they have focused on 1 vs 1, this far.
    That being said, this is regarding optimized matchmaking, meaning it has nothing to do with ice-tilt or anything of that sort. It's just an algorithm that sets you up against lesser or better skilled players.
    For any tilting to happen they would need to apply their Dynamic Difficulty adjustment to 1 vs 1.
    Which their case study, for that topic, says nothing about.

Whether something like this is put into effect in NHL, I guess we'll never know.
    But be warned, they end their case study by saying "Last, we will explore EOMM in multi-player games with more than two players involved"
  • Fair enough.
    I think everybody needs to take a step back and realize how cool it is that we can play the sport we love online....is it perfect no… But it's pretty **** good

From what you just wrote, it gave me the impression that you never played the previous NHL games. It existed a few years now the sport we love online. But, it does not mean that EA have the right to downgrade this game that much. A.I. is part of any game and if it is worse than the previous years, it only means that EA didn't make much effort or they are going in the wrong direction.
    For a casual player like you, you won't notice all the small details that ticks off lots of people that are more hardcore players.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    jimmo52 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

From what you just wrote, it gave me the impression that you never played the previous NHL games. It existed a few years now the sport we love online. But, it does not mean that EA have the right to downgrade this game that much. A.I. is part of any game and if it is worse than the previous years, it only means that EA didn't make much effort or they are going in the wrong direction.
    For a casual player like you, you won't notice all the small details that ticks off lots of people that are more hardcore players.

Your assumption (impression) of me is way off. I've played this series since (and before) EASHL was introduced in 08. I know all the ins and outs of EASHL...the changes...new mechanics introduced etc...

It's better more balanced ....and more true to the sport it represents than it's ever been. (Except when lag is introduced into the equation) IMPROVE THE SERVERS!! :wink:
    Id like to hear about the "little details" that tick you and the "hardcore" players off. :)
  • I seem to adapt to the game
  • One thing that needs to be addressed is input lag online. Since the second to latest patch, online I will get teed up for a one timer, only to have my player completely ignore the input or, as someone said, randomly shifts it to his backhand and gets stuck.

The input lag is killer, sometimes as bad as a half second
  • The controls are not responsive at all

Goalies are useless

Player switching is worse than ever, why its so hard to switch to the player closest to the puck and not some random **** facing the wrong way, I have no clue

Seamless puck pickups need to be removed. I’ve never seeen anybody on these boards ask for less control over their players. It’s such a wonky mechanic. And the underlying code creates issues. I’ve literally stood still and watched my guy skate 4-5 strides to “pickup” a puck that I wanted to make no effort to grab.

I’ve also noticed playing defense in-front of the net, my guy sprinting out of position while I’m standing still to pickup the puck, and all it did was get me out of position, miss the pickup, and lead to a goal.

This game has so much potential. Simply removing these pickups would make the game better. Add in a functioning hitting engine + either better puck physics or a DSS nerf and this game would be very enjoyable despite TPS’s limitations.
  • Fair enough.

This is the worst iteration of 6s hockey since EASHL was created and it’s not even debatable. DSS + TPS killed creativity. Goals routinely happen due to pucks going through the pads or making a save on the post only to have it poked through your body due to the game not freezing the puck.

Wide open 1Ts miss the net constantly while spin-around wrist shots pick corners. Deflections were needed to a point where they’re not usable even with a loaded up wrist shot. Goalies can’t move, they can only shuffle with their back touching the crossbar.

I’ve completely given up on 6s leagues and just 6s in general in 18. It’s horribly boring, slow, random, lame. EASHL 3s and offline are actually better than 6s...which is very very sad. Hopefully they can bounce back next year because 6s used to be the greatest gamemode in gaming history.
  • Fair enough.

This is the worst iteration of 6s hockey since EASHL was created and it’s not even debatable. DSS + TPS killed creativity. Goals routinely happen due to pucks going through the pads or making a save on the post only to have it poked through your body due to the game not freezing the puck.

Wide open 1Ts miss the net constantly while spin-around wrist shots pick corners. Deflections were needed to a point where they’re not usable even with a loaded up wrist shot. Goalies can’t move, they can only shuffle with their back touching the crossbar.

I’ve completely given up on 6s leagues and just 6s in general in 18. It’s horribly boring, slow, random, lame. EASHL 3s and offline are actually better than 6s...which is very very sad. Hopefully they can bounce back next year because 6s used to be the greatest gamemode in gaming history.

How are people missing wide open one timers? Very rarely does my ot go wide. At worst it will hit a post, very rarely if I'm not in a good shooting position or i simply flub my controller input (thumb slips off the joystick or something), sure it may go wide.

Same people probably are the ones complaining about missing empty nets regularly. At a certain point you have to wonder why some people don't have this issue while others do. My impression is those who complain about this are doing something wrong that they aren't aware of. Maybe a muscle memory thing from the older iterations or something. But it's definitely not as bad as many claim.

There's obviously room for improvement, but if you're(people who constantly complain) having issues to the extent you make it sound, chances are (imo) you're still stuck playing last gen nhl in your head and not adapting to the changes. Only reason I say that, is it seems these are the same people pining for a return to the floating skating we used to have.

Speed up acceleration, get rid of seamless puck pickups if it isn't possible to eliminate that auto skate to it, and eliminate the issue that sometimes causes controller input to seemingly not be registered . (Human goalie issues are a different story).

If you're complaining about dss, and a lack of creativity, get rid of the AI and learn to pass the puck more or protect it better. If it's 6's without ai that you're complaining about, sorry but that's on you.
  • As far as a hockey game, this one is garbage. Best to see it as a mediocre digital card collecting game
  • I have noticed the issues you speak of, but the problem online appears to be with their servers. It favours one team over the other constantly due to connection. This often results in players missing passes, passes not going where they aimed, or missing wide open nets
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!