EA Forums - Banner

EA devs, please focus on the user experience (constructive feedback)

2Next

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    No, I've thought it out. The problem with how you're viewing it is that you're assuming that everyone will put a different player in their black list, at least once every game they play. In that case, as I said, if you do that, if you just keep black listing players you "don't like" or that are bad/new, then yes of course, you'd run into your scenario pretty quickly.

But in a my real world scenario, you're only black listing players that are REALLY disruptive. How many do you meet each night, realistically... One? Maybe two? Furthermore, you're assuming everyone would black list a different person each time. Again, in that case, the pool of players you'd be "allowed" to play with would shrink pretty quick. However, you seem to not realize that, more often than not, the community would simply black list the same players as you would. In that case, in your scenario, your 18K players, would have banned the same 10 players all around. Let's say that overall, 90% of the players put on a black list by the community are the same. That leaves 1 out of 10 players that are different from everyone else.

So at worst, you're talking about 1.8K players out of a total 18K that are affected. Hardly a number that would impact your ability to find an available lobby with players you WANT to play with.

But you're right in that it is a flawed solution, and you can't really trust everyone to be smart about how to use this black list. So let's further develop it and say that when you black list someone, you can place them into three categories of SEVERITY; 1 Star (Mild), 2 Star (Moderate) and 3 Star (Severe). 1 Star players would be filtered only if they are on the same team you'd be. 2 Star players would have the search actively avoid them, unless the search has gone over a time or search limit. 3 Star players would be always avoided.

Would that be a better solution?

Yea the 3 stars approach would be a better way. Would be less flawed, or forgiving for a lack of better words.

FYI, there are easily 2 players a night I would blacklist. The stick tappers and own goal scorers and the sit in the middle and force a restart players I have no interest in. The really bad players would be tempting as well. Players staying continuously offside and wondering why they aren't getting any passes... Like really. Great, you wanna play. Fine, learn the basics at least please.

So let's say I blacklist 2. My friend will, you will, basically everyone will. Easily 14 a week and probably at that rate for 3 weeks or so. So 42 players per person. (Maybe 25-32 is a safer number, but yea)

So think about it. If you can't play with blacklisted players, it is the same of every player in your dropin session. If you blacklisted 42 players, then every other player in your current session cannot connect with those 42 players. You can't connect with each of their 42 players either. It will greatly kill your chances of finding available games. It would just grow exponentially.

Even if you blacklist only 3 players, someone out there will blacklist 10, or 30, or even 75. It would get out of hand real fast. Of the 18k players I said are online on a given night, maybe only 1k of those are actually playing EASHL.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, but that's exactly where I'm saying that it would be a problem. The black list should only be used to avoid REALLY disruptive players. I'm not talking about dumb-dumbs who don't know better and keep tapping for a pass, or hog the puck on offense, or the goalie that is bad and lets in a few bad goals.

I'm talking about people that purposely ruin the game, like score own goals for no reason. Or skate offside purposely from the get go. Or the one that blasts his music on mic. Or spouts racial slurrs/hate messages. Or that tries to lag/desync the game.

I maybe run into such people 2-3 times a month... Well... When I used to play more than once or twice every now and then.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I respect ya'lls enthusiasm....but it's pretty much impossible to regulate drop ins.
    It's a public space...you go to them hoping for the best...but inevitably you will run into bad people.
    Some things are easily discussed...but difficult and pretty much impossible to find a resolution.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Probably never gonna happen, since that would require EA first putting resources into coding such systems, and then making sure nobody misuses them which requires constant resources, it's not just fire and forget. And we know NHL players exploit anything and everything, and EA just drops the feature out, when that happens. So, no.

The only easy working system is clubs where the members police the players, and drop-in is a pond of scum. On a good day, you can get halfway decent games, that's about it. And even with clubs, if all the members are ****, they're still gonna mess around. Luckily, that's pretty rare though.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I respect ya'lls enthusiasm....but it's pretty much impossible to regulate drop ins.
    It's a public space...you go to them hoping for the best...but inevitably you will run into bad people.
    Some things are easily discussed...but difficult and pretty much impossible to find a resolution.

Well, let's put it this way there are systems of law and the police to help keep crime down. Does it work 100%? No. Does that mean we shouldn't have it and let people "police themselves"? Of course not.

Would a User Rating/Black List system in NHL get rid of all trolling? No, or course not. But with a solid system in place, even a slightly flawed one, it would help to limit the frustration and chaos with playing vs. Random people online.
  • I don't see what the debate is.... There SHOULD be a legit, working grade system that boots you for garbage play.

There SHOULD be a "cool down" period for multi-quits in game.

Bonus points for if there is a player progression system where grade impacts skill sets.
  • Ya I get the "police to help keep crime down" thing ...but trolls will always find a way. So say if you go offside 5 times in a game you get booted..they will just do it 4 times and then do other things to troll...see what I'm getting at?
  • Ya I get the "police to help keep crime down" thing ...but trolls will always find a way. So say if you go offside 5 times in a game you get booted..they will just do it 4 times and then do other things to troll...see what I'm getting at?

yeah I mean, all I can tell you is the 2K grade system is rather intricate. I play it, it works.

you can get booted within the 1st two mins due to a combo of bad play. not even the same specific thing...

it can be 1) a blocked shot, 2) a poor shot attempt, 3) get the ball stolen, 4) a foul and BAM you are to a D- and one more bad move and yer gone.

I don't know any other real way of dealing with it without some "kick" vote that's gonna get abused cause it involves human interaction.

yeah I mean, all I can tell you is the 2K grade system is rather intricate. I play it, it works.

you can get booted within the 1st two mins due to a combo of bad play. not even the same specific thing...

it can be 1) a blocked shot, 2) a poor shot attempt, 3) get the ball stolen, 4) a foul and BAM you are to a D- and one more bad move and yer gone.

I don't know any other real way of dealing with it without some "kick" vote that's gonna get abused cause it involves human interaction.
    That seems kind of harsh no? I mean I have my bad shifts/games...so if I go offside...turn the puck over a few times...and miss a check I get booted?
    Don't get me wrong...I like the idea ...I just see it being very hard to implement properly

That seems kind of harsh no? I mean I have my bad shifts/games...so if I go offside...turn the puck over a few times...and miss a check I get booted?
    Don't get me wrong...I like the idea ...I just see it being very hard to implement properly

It may be slightly harsh, but EA is extremely lax. Something needs to change as my patience is only going down, not up.

It works very well in NBA2K...it doesn't just look at the bad stuff you do, it also rewards you for good stuff. Like making a smart pass, or taking an open shot, good defensive play, drawing fouls, etc. It works well on two fronts, it helps new players learn what they're doing well and what needs improvement and also quickly eliminates people that are in the game solely to ruin it for others. My only worry would be that EA isn't capable of making the system actually work, just look at the current state of their coach feedback.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

It works very well in NBA2K...it doesn't just look at the bad stuff you do, it also rewards you for good stuff. Like making a smart pass, or taking an open shot, good defensive play, drawing fouls, etc. It works well on two fronts, it helps new players learn what they're doing well and what needs improvement and also quickly eliminates people that are in the game solely to ruin it for others. My only worry would be that EA isn't capable of making the system actually work, just look at the current state of their coach feedback.

That kinda sounds like how your teamplay grade would go up and down back in the old EASHL days. I'd like to see an option to vote kick someone if their grade got too low. Some kind of system where they have to legitimately earn the kick.
  • yep, it's pretty similar, but it tracks you during each game as well which is great for eliminating the trolls. I think my ideal would be a mixture of a vote to kick and the NBA2K system. Play poorly enough to get an F grade and a vote to kick option would appear for your teammates. If you earn enough votes to get kicked you're removed from the game. That's really the only way, in my opinion, to eliminate the ability for people to troll the vote to kick system.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

That kinda sounds like how your teamplay grade would go up and down back in the old EASHL days. I'd like to see an option to vote kick someone if their grade got too low. Some kind of system where they have to legitimately earn the kick.

Kick vote should only be on your own team. The other team should not be able to vote a player on the other team. So if you have a troll on your team, I would assume the rest of the team would vote him out.

On the other hand, if a player has 4 goals on your team, you don't want the other team to try and vote kick him.

In all honesty, most times it is just quicker and easier to quit and find another game.

Bingo
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

Kick vote should only be on your own team. The other team should not be able to vote a player on the other team. So if you have a troll on your team, I would assume the rest of the team would vote him out.

On the other hand, if a player has 4 goals on your team, you don't want the other team to try and vote kick him.

In all honesty, most times it is just quicker and easier to quit and find another game.

Yeah, absolutely. You shouldn't be able to kick someone from the other team. Only your own. Sadly, like previously mentioned, there will always be trolls. They're going to be a constant battle to deal with. I agree that it's easier to quit at times. It's just not worth the hassle.
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    There should be no need for a vote kick during gameplay. Kicking players should be handled by the game itself. Players should be auto-kicked for bad behaviour. With a proper grading and feedback system, this can be handled without issue. Bad actions can be weighted differently. Things like scoring on your own net would be more severe than going offside a bunch of times. However, bad behaviour would accumulate and playing out of your position too much will get you kicked as well.

There can be warnings and suggestions that pop up to inform noobs what they are doing wrong. This of course could be turned off just like the on-ice trainer. Players would have a chance for redemption by correcting their behaviour. If someone gets booted, a screen can pop up with related training videos to help them improve their game. This system would both eliminate trolls and help noobs out. In the end, the quality of players would improve and it would lead to a much more positive experience.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    There should be no need for a vote kick during gameplay. Kicking players should be handled by the game itself. Players should be auto-kicked for bad behaviour. With a proper grading and feedback system, this can be handled without issue. Bad actions can be weighted differently. Things like scoring on your own net would be more severe than going offside a bunch of times. However, bad behaviour would accumulate and playing out of your position too much will get you kicked as well.

There can be warnings and suggestions that pop up to inform noobs what they are doing wrong. This of course could be turned off just like the on-ice trainer. Players would have a chance for redemption by correcting their behaviour. If someone gets booted, a screen can pop up with related training videos to help them improve their game. This system would both eliminate trolls and help noobs out. In the end, the quality of players would improve and it would lead to a much more positive experience.