EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 - Gameplay trailer

Check out all we've shared about the new features and discuss it right here.

Why the lag?

2Next

Replies

• Socair
    1568 posts Game Changer
    Socair wrote: »
    and he normally would get around ~19ms to that west server with responsive inputs.

I’m in Calgary with Shaw and consistently get 24-30ms to the west. How can someone further away get a lower ping? Not saying it’s a lie, just honestly want to know if it’s a DSL/cable thing or what.

depends on the routing, the peering points and contracts the providers have in place. he would usually get 19-23 if I recall in 17. he's got some business class gig connection I believe.

key point tho is he also is a Telus user and is seeing times doubled (or what have you) and was complaining of significant delay... just like the numerous others here of late.
    Ok, thanks.
    Yeah, I know of both Telus and Shaw users experiencing it occasionally and for random durations.
    There’s both an incorrect server recommendation (in the club search), which will obviously show an in game ping to the incorrect server and play horribly...plus there’s been just unusually higher pings (club vs a known west/east club) without the incorrect server recommendation.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    and he normally would get around ~19ms to that west server with responsive inputs.

I’m in Calgary with Shaw and consistently get 24-30ms to the west. How can someone further away get a lower ping? Not saying it’s a lie, just honestly want to know if it’s a DSL/cable thing or what.

depends on the routing, the peering points and contracts the providers have in place. he would usually get 19-23 if I recall in 17. he's got some business class gig connection I believe.

key point tho is he also is a Telus user and is seeing times doubled (or what have you) and was complaining of significant delay... just like the numerous others here of late.
    Ok, thanks.
    Yeah, I know of both Telus and Shaw users experiencing it occasionally and for random durations.
    There’s both an incorrect server recommendation (in the club search), which will obviously show an in game ping to the incorrect server and play horribly...plus there’s been just unusually higher pings (club vs a known west/east club) without the incorrect server recommendation.

yeah I mean it's odd... so basically his ping times were the same as mine and I am outside Atlanta... so I feel we were on the west server (I always tend to get 38-40 to west). I didn't really feel all that sluggish / delayed, but he noticed a real difference. I just continued to smash faces, rip twines and Chazz Michael Michaels all over people and didn't notice it all that much.

I only have a couple hours left on my trial... he prob has 8, so I dunno if I can get him to really care enough to call Telus or not.

Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E