EA Forums - Banner

If EA NHL would communicate like EA SWGOH

Prev134
GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS
536 posts Member
edited March 2018
So the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes community recently took some flak about not communicating well with the fan base.

Here is what they did:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163163/forum-communication-q-a-8-30pm-pdt-3-17-18

Perhaps one day EA NHL can borrow this format. I think something like this could really help with community communication. While I know one of the devs has been active in responding to things, this sort of dedicated timeblock - using the same forums we have here - to answer as many questions as possible would do wonders for us.

Edit: And here it is in action:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163161/live-swgoh-q-a-w-producers#latest

Can anyone else imagine how awesome this would be here?
Post edited by GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS on

Replies

• I agree this would be a cool thing to do to repair the disconnect. However, this team I don't feel really like divulging information on future ideas nearly to the extent that dev team does. Would be awesome to get some sort of idea on where they intend to go with NHL 19, but the past 5 years they just keep you in the dark (probably a good idea, so they can sell their game on pre-orders because 3's isn't exactly very marketable).
  • RSall14
    596 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    It won't change until the team gets shaken up. We've been through this for years, we know when they come around and when they disappear. Remember that year where Rammer promised to be active on these forums? Didn't happen, he was gone after the first or second week of the games launch date. Dev is probably here right now because they're "allowed" to communicate with us for now. Also they're going to start giving us 19 info soon so they're showing up. They'll be here again in the beta and before release as well as a week or two after. After that they'll disappear again until a major issue pops up or until this time next year. The cycle has repeated for years now.
  • They were very active for awhile answering our questions and giving feedback. The problem was some of you didn't like their reasons for why things were the way they were and so you demanded changes and when they didn't give in you kept asking and asking and asking. It's a broken record for them answering the same thing.

We can't have nice things if we aren't gonna be understanding when things are answered with reason.

• What the SWGOH team did there was nothing short of incredible. That team deserves a lot of credit for going in and fielding questions like that. Unfortunately, though I don't think this will ever happen on the NHL side mainly because of past interactions. As someone who has been blocked by the leader of the development team on Facebook for asking questions, it became pretty apparent to me that questions and criticism are not something he was willing to take. To me, it is a disappointment that it happened but then again I was not all that shocked. With that said I would love to see the NHL team on here and answer our questions such as "what are your current goals for the game in the short term?" and "in the future what do you want in the game that may not be there now?" just some forward thinking questions that can hopefully give us an idea of what they are thinking. I would love to have an idea of what this franchise is heading towards that way I can get excited for whatever it is.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    I've played SWGOH since launch and I have nothing but respect for them and what they've done with their community.

Just to put things in perspective SWGOH is a massive game, 6 months after the game launched 6.6 Million players played it for an average of 2.5 hours per day and it has continued to grow since. None of our console titles compare to that from what I know.

Source: https://www.ea.com/news/the-playbook-fy-2017-q1--infographic-

NHL is actually one of the rare Sports/console titles that has an active dev on the forum who has near 630 replies here. NHLDev has more posts on the forum that most of us here and his replies are also among the most throughout I've seen as well. Even if he isn't replying to everything he is reading everything. Whenever I look over to see who is online there is one logo I see always see there:

ijac9dr75hvd.png

I talk to NHLDev whenever I get the chance, mainly if there is a topic or thread I want to highlight and every time I do he has already read it. He has been on this forum for years and on the game as well, I've said it before, to say he is passionate about the game is an understatement. He cares deeply about the game & about the players who play it.

He talks to the players here as much as he can and shares as much information as he can, there are also many discussions he would like to have but can't. There is also a lot of red tape when it comes to discussing upcoming titles and/or new features or even the direction we want to take.

I'm not saying that the format we have on this forum is perfect, I know it's not and I absolutely love how it's handled on SWGOH. While I don't think it's feasible to replicate an identical format here I want to improve and it's something I'm working on.

Roger.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »

I talk to NHLDev whenever I get the chance, mainly if there is a topic or thread I want to highlight and every time I do he has already read it. He has been on this forum for years and on the game as well, I've said it before, to say he is passionate about the game is an understatement. He cares deeply about the game & about the players who play it.

He talks to the players here as much as he can and shares as much information as he can, there are also many discussions he would like to have but can't. There is also a lot of red tape when it comes to discussing upcoming titles and/or new features or even the direction we want to take.

I'm not saying that the format we have on this forum is perfect, I know it's not and I absolutely love how it's handled on SWGOH. While I don't think it's feasible to replicate an identical format here I want to improve and it's something I'm working on.

Roger.

I am sure there are hurdles in the way when it comes to talking about the future and I understand that. But just to get a sense of what the future holds for NHL would be a step in the right direction. As a lifelong fan of this series (which for me dates back to NHL 92), it would be cool to be given an idea of what the leadership of the dev team has up its sleeves because it would at least send a message to where this game is headed. Because right now I don't think anyone truly knows what is coming and I don't know if the developers (bless their souls they have a hard job) have as much of a grasp on what the gamers want as it seems and I think part of that shows with NHL 3's, sure it is a cool mini mode, but if you ask the players of this series for a long time it was not the time to release that mode when other modes such as Be a Pro could have used that attention instead. Again not to be overly critical but I think getting together with the longtime fans of this series and listening to ideas that come up would be a great thing, I know myself I have a ton of ideas where it relates to franchise mode and I am sure other longtime fans could chip in with other modes such as Be a Pro and EASHL.

Unfortunately, though, we've had devs here in the past that got chewed out, so I don't blame the dev team for not wanting to be here. However, I remember when I was a moderator back in 2010 there were ill feelings then too, so nothing has really changed between then and now even though it has been over 8 years. A little more transparency would go a long way moving forward though because all I see on here are posts with profanity and complaining aimed towards the development team and that is a shame because for the most part this is a really good product. Hopefully with NHLDev on here it can ease tensions between user base and dev team, but transparency moving forward would do a lot more good then a forum visit once in awhile.
    I've played SWGOH since launch and I have nothing but respect for them and what they've done with their community.

Just to put things in perspective SWGOH is a massive game, 6 months after the game launched 6.6 Million players played it for an average of 2.5 hours per day and it has continued to grow since. None of our console titles compare to that from what I know.

NHL is actually one of the rare Sports/console titles that has an active dev on the forum who has near 630 replies here. NHLDev has more posts on the forum that most of us here and his replies are also among the most throughout I've seen as well. Even if he isn't replying to everything he is reading everything. Whenever I look over to see who is online there is one logo I see always see there:

ijac9dr75hvd.png

Roger.

High five :smile:
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    EA_Roger wrote: »

ijac9dr75hvd.png

Roger.

As much as I enjoy the interactions with NHL Dev and respect him, I have honestly lost faith and hope in the direction of this title. I feel like the direction is to blame for a lot. We have all worked in a place where one or 2 guys are fantastic but there are several bad apples. When I look at the work NHLDEV does on the boards and his knowledge and work ethics, and then I look at computer AI in game, I see 2 completely different levels of competence. NHLDEV isnt controlling where the money goes, who gets hired, who stays and who goes and how much budget goes into the title. So as far as what he does, it is very much appreciated, as an overall view of the NHL title, It leaves to be desired.

I still firmly believe that the best help we can give a guy like NHLDev is to not buy the game and let the sales tank. Once that happens, the execitives will have to infuse budget and interest in reviving the title. This is the only time busy execs will take large chunks of time and really want to know what can be done to improve a project. For now, they are riding the low investment profits. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    whats with the bug where once you edit a post it disappear as if I deleted it? So frustrating.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    My recap is I respect and appreciate NHL DEV but I dont have much respect left for the direction of this title. I think that NHL DEV is knowledgeable and good work ethics but doesnt control money flow and hiring so he cannot solve all the problems. Then you have guys like whoever is working on CPU AI....doesnt take a rocket scientist to be able to tell that there is quality issues there.

Not buying the game seems like the only way to get the EA exec involved in the project. Seems like they are simply riding a low investment profit for now and until these profit sink, there is no reasons for them to invest time and effort, as well as resources, to this title. Please feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
  • @NHLDev, @kezz123 makes a great point, the biggest issue in my mind is the AI in my mind and it would be a huge leap forward if AI can be majorly tweaked, not only would it make the game harder but it would make it tougher to exploit any goaltending issues that may or may not exist.

ijac9dr75hvd.png

Roger.

Is there any chance of even having a brief, similar Q&A section like that here?

So like a question of "Is GM Connected ever coming back"

Might get a response of "maybe someday," "we're not really considering it, "yes, we've already begun work" and so on. Many of the devs responses on the SWGOH board were very detailed, and I know NHLDev responds in a very detailed and thorough manner, and this is very nice. It does mean he can only respond to a small number of concerns though. Is there any hope of a Q&A type session here to just give even brief answers on a wide range of issues, concerns, wants, etc.?

In other words, NHLDev does a great job on the depth issues, but can we also get a Q&A to respond to the breadth issues?
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    whats with the bug where once you edit a post it disappear as if I deleted it? So frustrating.

If you get this a lot, do ping me or anyone from the team and we will take a look.
  • I don't understand when we get told here that devs can't talk about almost anything because EA is a publicly traded company. Is SWGOH made by a different EA that isn't publicly traded??
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I don't understand when we get told here that devs can't talk about almost anything because EA is a publicly traded company. Is SWGOH made by a different EA that isn't publicly traded??

That doesn't mean they can't talk about anything. They've been talking a lot about the mechanics of the game recently. Most companies won't talk about anything that eludes to what might be coming in the future. A lot of that is legal, but also helps keep the expectations of the community more in check. Once you say something potentially is coming, people depend on it. Things happen in development that can mean planned changes/features don't happen. When you already put it out there that something might be coming and then doesn't, it often leads to assumptions, speculation and overall negativity. So, in situations like that it can be better to just keep quiet until they're sure about what is coming.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    I don't understand when we get told here that devs can't talk about almost anything because EA is a publicly traded company. Is SWGOH made by a different EA that isn't publicly traded??

That doesn't mean they can't talk about anything. They've been talking a lot about the mechanics of the game recently. Most companies won't talk about anything that eludes to what might be coming in the future. A lot of that is legal, but also helps keep the expectations of the community more in check. Once you say something potentially is coming, people depend on it. Things happen in development that can mean planned changes/features don't happen. When you already put it out there that something might be coming and then doesn't, it often leads to assumptions, speculation and overall negativity. So, in situations like that it can be better to just keep quiet until they're sure about what is coming.

If that were true then no company would ever advertise. While you don't want to over-promise, it's not a hard line to walk to say what you're working on vs guaranteeing that what you're working on will make it to the next release.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

If that were true then no company would ever advertise. While you don't want to over-promise, it's not a hard line to walk to say what you're working on vs guaranteeing that what you're working on will make it to the next release.

There's a difference between advertising something that is basically guaranteed to be included and something that is a possibility. EA isn't the only company that potentially does this. It's absolutely not uncommon. Especially in the software industry. You also have to consider many companies have specific marketing plans to adhere to.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

Your response is pretty much irrelevant. Look at the other mentioned forum for the other game. That amount of depth has never been seen here and the reason we are given is that EA is a publicly traded company......

Why isn't the other website using that same excuse? Same publicly traded company, no?
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited March 2018
    Your response is pretty much irrelevant. Look at the other mentioned forum for the other game. That amount of depth has never been seen here and the reason we are given is that EA is a publicly traded company......

Why isn't the other website using that same excuse? Same publicly traded company, no?

A lot of what is written in Sinbin's responses is actually pretty accurate.

As far as the depth that we can get into for specific responses, it depends on the question and as mentioned on these forums in the past, there are issues with revenue recognition when it comes to talking about the future of the product. It is much easier for us to talk about something that is already released, or aleady locked on disc and coming out for a specific release date rather than talk about something we are currently prototyping. It is unfortunate as sometimes that is the stuff that is the most fun for someone like myself to talk about but that is just the nature of the business.

It has also been made clear plenty times over that these forums, although many say they just want to know they are being heard, hate responses such as 'it is on our radar'.

If you can list some of the questions you don't feel have been answered in your next reply, I can give some insight into what can/can't be answered and we can use it as a test case to know if the Q and A would turn out as fruitful for you as you expect.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

I'm just basing my answer on my experience in the industry. It's really no different from many other people here making their own speculations and assumptions. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just like the many posts from others saying there's ice tilt, the servers are terrible, EA only cares about HUT, etc. The difference with mine is that I don't claim it as fact. I'm sorry if you feel it's irrelevant. I know you have a problem with a lot of what I say, but these forums are for the community to engage with each other about the game. I'm just using my background in the software industry to give some details that are very frequently overlooked or not considered here.