EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Though I'd try again after two months

I realized I still have 3 hours left of my EA Access trial on NHL 18 so I figured I'd give it a go.

LOL, joke is on me. One DNF by my opponent and two by me in three attempted games played is more than I need to see. Same crappy ice-tilt for one side or the other. Same crappy stuck-in-mud problems.

Same crappy game all-in-all.

So my question for the EA Devs is simply this.

Are you even attempting to do anything to make this a fair game online (by fixing the way the game interacts online)? If so, what are you doing? If not, then WHY NOT? It's terrible right now. You have to literally have perfect internet or something just for this game to be playable. I have tried every step your "support team" has suggested five times over. It doesn't matter. Do something on YOUR end for once and stop blaming half of the EA population for it all.

Replies

• NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    Are you saying those results are due to you and your opponent quitting or you are saying the game disconnected?

• Yea I know what you mean with the stuck in the mud. It doesn’t matter who I use I can’t keep up with other teams.
  • I can‘t even play offline games without lag.
    Online is out of the question .
    I run a test and get 27 down 4 up , always around those results.
    Is my connection too slow?
  • leeriehle wrote: »
    I can‘t even play offline games without lag.

First step is to find out why you lag offline. Nothing else matters until you figure this out.

TV too old?
    Faulty wiring? Faulty HDMI wire?
    If your TV is set to 1080i, set it to 720p. If it is 1080p, maybe switch it to 720p for testing purposes.
    Console too dirty and over heating?
    Maybe a defect in your console, such as faulty RAM, or maybe vid card?

If you are hardwired to your console, unplug the ethernet cable and see if you still lag offline. If you are wireless, turn it off. See if being truly offline makes a difference.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Are you saying those results are due to you and your opponent quitting or you are saying the game disconnected?

No it wasn't an accidental disconnection. First game my opponent couldn't move and appeared to be stuck in mud, so I killed him and he rage quit. Second and third game I couldn't move and was stuck in mud, but my opponent was all jacked up, so I ended up quitting both of those games. None of the games were won and lost because of player skill. The losers lost the games because their opponents were twice as strong and fast at everything.

This has been an ongoing issue since the jump to PS4/XB1 for me, and I've seen where many others have the same type of problems. Then you have a list of people that claim they never have issues. Either way there doesn't seem to be any form of consistency from one game to the next, and this seems to be dictating how games turn out rather than how good a player actually is.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    No it wasn't an accidental disconnection. First game my opponent couldn't move and appeared to be stuck in mud, so I killed him and he rage quit. Second and third game I couldn't move and was stuck in mud, but my opponent was all jacked up, so I ended up quitting both of those games. None of the games were won and lost because of player skill. The losers lost the games because their opponents were twice as strong and fast at everything.

This has been an ongoing issue since the jump to PS4/XB1 for me, and I've seen where many others have the same type of problems. Then you have a list of people that claim they never have issues. Either way there doesn't seem to be any form of consistency from one game to the next, and this seems to be dictating how games turn out rather than how good a player actually is.

In those games were the pings reflective of the connection experience you had? In P2P games, the connection should be the same for both players.

If you are on a server, it is possible for some players to have better connections to a single server location than others.

Would be curious if you are seeing big lag spikes or general high ping in those games or not.

First step is to find out why you lag offline. Nothing else matters until you figure this out.

TV too old?
    If your TV is set to 1080i, set it to 720p. If it is 1080p, maybe switch it to 720p for testing purposes.

If you are hardwired to your console, unplug the ethernet cable and see if you still lag offline. If you are wireless, turn it off. See if being truly offline makes a difference.

My tv is a UHD with 240 mhz for gaming.
    I am hard wired to an internet cable connection .
    My lag only occurs in HUT and you can‘t log into that if I unhook my connection ?

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    90% of my games were "online", I say online because you need be connected to EA servers, HUT vs CPU in exhibition games and the inconsistency in gameplay despite always playing on the same settings was boggling. One game my dudes are flying and others are stuck in the mud. I could understand this being an issue online with latency and what not but games vs CPU should always be consistent.

In those games were the pings reflective of the connection experience you had? In P2P games, the connection should be the same for both players.

If you are on a server, it is possible for some players to have better connections to a single server location than others.

Would be curious if you are seeing big lag spikes or general high ping in those games or not.

These three games were played in the Online VS mode, so they were P2P. All of the games were in the 30-45ms range with no notable changes/spikes. I've had those games in the past, but today the graph was very flat over the course of all of the games.

I'm not sure it's a ping thing either because in the past I have had some very bad experiences playing games in the 15ms range and have also had some good experiences playing with more than 50ms. There really doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can figure out with it.

Ive had the same issues for the last couple years. I get it playing in P2P games and in the HUT Challenges. Where are you playing during the challenges? It 100% consistent gameplay style with online P2P and the challenges. Some seem like player speed is at a 2 and some at a 5. I’ve done every troubleshooting option available and unfortunately have just have to live with it. If I play during your peak times then it’s usually slow but my ping is usually 10-16 max never a lag spike. If I get sick of the “ stuck in mud” then I switch to challenges and it’s the exact same thing just more playable since your not at as much of a disadvantage. It honestly feels like the other teams tuners are turned up a notch and yours are down and the AI is playing on superstar and yours is on pro.
  • I have the same problems as Taste D Rainbow and Levi's 9999.
    I have zero bars ever when I play in HUT and that graph is always flat at 300ms.
    Yet EA customer service technicians have no idea why.
    I could probably learn to accept the games glitches but the lag is ending my NHL career prematurely .
    leeriehle wrote: »

TV too old?

My lag only occurs in HUT and you can‘t log into that if I unhook my connection ?

I don't understand. You said you lag offline, but now you say you lag in HUT. You talking about offline HUT?

Try a completely different mode, such as Be a Pro, even if only for 1 period. If you still lag, unplug your console from the internet, and retry.

TV too old?

I don't understand. You said you lag offline, but now you say you lag in HUT. You talking about offline HUT?

Try a completely different mode, such as Be a Pro, even if only for 1 period. If you still lag, unplug your console from the internet, and retry.

I only play HUT , so yes offline HUT .
    Will try a dif mode tonight when i notice a lot of lag.
    But the lag seems to come and go from game to game .

TV too old?

I only play HUT , so yes offline HUT .
    Will try a dif mode tonight when i notice a lot of lag.
    But the lag seems to come and go from game to game .

well that is odd...

is the game a digital or physical copy? installed on primary or secondary (external) drive?

just curious.