EA Forums - Banner

Network conditions

I think there's one question that could use a little more attention, and that's the one about network conditions. Every aspect of gameplay is dependent on this, and at least from my position, it's killing the game.
Sadly, I must admit that my initial thought was "EA is too cheap to put the needed dollars on the table". Which, of course, is nonsense. Who would put millions of dollars (accumulated over the years), into development of a game and then destroy all that to save a few bucks on server cost?
That wouldn't make any sense however you chose to look at it. I have no doubt that EA is doing everything they can, to make the game as good as possible online.
But what is "as good as possible"? A split-second game like hockey? Will you ever get a connection that's fast enough to handle the needed speed? I was ready to conclude that it's not. But then, a couple of weeks back, I had "one night in heaven". The game played phenomenal. Every goal against, I instantly knew what I had done wrong to allow. Setting up plays worked like a charm and playing defense was a lot more fun. The list of the differences is never-ending, to put it short my normal rating of the game would be 3/10, during that night it was 9/10. The difference is huge and EA must be losing tons of money in lost sales, due to online functionality alone.
I had the same thing happen during 17, I even made a post about it:
https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/81418/love-good-karma-and-a-hope-for-a-long-happy-life-for-all-members-of-the-dev-team#latest
And this time I posted it here:
https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/212356/game-was-very-good-last-night#latest
I think I know what happened since I made the most of it. I played from around 11 PM until 10 AM.
Around 9 AM I lost connection to EA and couldn't reconnect for ten minutes.
This was night to the first Tuesday of the month and I bet there was some sort of server maintenance going on. During that maintenance period, I am probably playing via a mirror server or something like that. Whatever it is, it makes a ton of difference.
I understand there could be many reasons for this, like the placement of mirror server is better for me (in Norway), traffic prioritization on the main server not being active on the mirror, stuff like that. Also, my server maintenance theory is nothing more than that – a theory.
I was kind of hoping you guys could look into it. Who knows, maybe it will help you solve some challenges regarding online play?
It's also worth mentioning that I was playing Vs/HUT which is P2P. There is no way I was just lucky with my matchups for 30 games or so in a row. No matter what mode we play, we are communicating with EA's servers, which makes them a part of the picture. I really hope you guys aren't neglecting that? If so, I hope my input here will make you consider it an option.

Replies

• There is virtually no reason for anyone on the East Coast as far north as PA to be matched up with anyone from Quebec. Cost me way too many EASHL wins. I live in VA and average 8 M/S. Got a team from Quebec playing on a home server and I average 70 M/S. Can't even skate... I'm one of the top dmen in the world when I can. Absolutely unacceptable
  • Socair
    2644 posts Game Changer
    There is virtually no reason for anyone on the East Coast as far north as PA to be matched up with anyone from Quebec. Cost me way too many EASHL wins. I live in VA and average 8 M/S. Got a team from Quebec playing on a home server and I average 70 M/S. Can't even skate... I'm one of the top dmen in the world when I can. Absolutely unacceptable
    If all the players in that team were truly from QC, your ping should not have been that high, as QC clubs ought to be matching to the east server. Sounds like you ended up playing on the west server.

Go to the club search and look up that team with the region set to "any". See what region they are listed in.

Although, I will concede that even if a team is listed as the same region as you, there are times when pings are higher than normal. Perhaps a problem with some players on the opposing team being in a different region and the whole best region search gets muddled. Not sure.
  • There is virtually no reason for anyone on the East Coast as far north as PA to be matched up with anyone from Quebec. Cost me way too many EASHL wins. I live in VA and average 8 M/S. Got a team from Quebec playing on a home server and I average 70 M/S. Can't even skate... I'm one of the top dmen in the world when I can. Absolutely unacceptable

Hmmmm yes well, yer basically within a Kirk Cousins deep fade route of the "server" on the east from there.

If you get more than 45 ish to the west (meaning your "7O" ) and you "can't even skate" then other issues may be in play.

But, I'd agree that you should be playing a Quebec team on the east. If the majority of their team really is eastern Canadian.
  • off the topic of quebec teams and **** but has anyone noticed that ever since the new update the game has lagged ?? i have a hard wired connection so i don’t blame it on my wifi— just wondering if anyone was experiencing the same thing
  • off the topic of quebec teams and **** but has anyone noticed that ever since the new update the game has lagged ?? i have a hard wired connection so i don’t blame it on my wifi— just wondering if anyone was experiencing the same thing

Ya. I had to hard reset my modem. Back to normal for me....could be a coincidence though...not sure