EA Forums - Banner

Goodbye NHL18 ...

Prev1
I finally decide to bring bag nhl 18 at EBGAMES
after month ,waiting for a magical patch...it is time ..

first off i only play offline ..(be a gm mode)
this game is just plain awful
i bought EA hockey every year since john vaniesbrook was on the cover
i skip the last two year because i was still on the ps3 and legend was pretty cool
but this year ,ohhh myyyy.....
i am officialy retiring from that awful series

first i thought i would be blown away by the step up to the ps4
take the fancy ice and animation add on +new commentary
this is the ps3 game with new and same old issue

here a list of stuff that come to mind:

-stick still magically dissapear in the board
-the skating engine is totally off (the flow of the game is so boring and that is my #1 issue..)
-difficulty setting is a joke you go on all star and now your goalie sudenly can t stop a beach ball .the puck magically land on the cpu stick all the time ...every cpu player snipe a la ovie
- AI is totally off players just stand there for no reason and doing nothing
- if you edit a player and he is under 25 ...well he is now in the calder race ..since i do my own roster update ..the list of rookie was pretty big ..mcdavid won the calder twice ...it s in the game LOL
- stick handling setup awful
- controller not responding right away..go try fifa18 you see how animation and control should be
- hip chek that is almost impossible to do
-player growth from years to years ..just dumb after two years the league dont make sence anymore

and i spent coutless hours trying to play with the setting to make this game playable ..yes playable but it s impossible the list of thing that is wrong with this game
is so long ..

for my final thought ,stop trying to put new mode or gimmick in this game
just fix this freaking game ...and stop with the simulation ..i want to have fun
that what wrong with sports games these days ...less simulation .MORE ARCADE...

cheers
(and by the way you are not having my 90 bux next years )

MRSENATEURS

Replies

• Swoops--73
    625 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    So long french frog you will be missed. I used to have tons of nhl friends who were big spenders that have kissed nhl goodbye. It has to be making a impact
  • Unfortunately the developers think the skating is fine, and we wont see a better product until that changes.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    JamBam22 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the developers think the skating is fine, and we wont see a better product until that changes.

They never said it was prefect and won't be changing. Read their posts and you'll see where there has been thorough discussion of this. They're always working to improve it.
  • @frenchfrog
    Really good writing about the game you loved, but at the moment have big issues with.
    For me who is not a regular nhl ps4 player, or even on other consoles. I would love thoose things get fixed that you wrote about since i am an offline player as well.
    Seems you have alot of experience around the nhl games in regular and i really think you should post theese issues with the nhl dev. team :)

- A reborned nhl console player
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    For me it angers me that they keep sending out tuners and it keeps getting worse or so I read from you guys.
    I loved NHL11 and they ruined that game to with tuners. My first day online with it felt perfect.I dont want to see games being tuned for the sake of skill levels. I dont care if someones kid who knows sqaut about hockey likes what I'm saying or not. I buy the game..i'm the guy who plays this series as real simulated hockey..I expect EA to respect that and make the game play realistic!.I want goalies to play realistic too with each and every goalies real playing style. I dont wanna see stand up goalie's play butterfly for example in terms of legends.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    For me it angers me that they keep sending out tuners and it keeps getting worse or so I read from you guys.
    I loved NHL11 and they ruined that game to with tuners. My first day online with it felt perfect.I dont want to see games being tuned for the sake of skill levels. I dont care if someones kid who knows sqaut about hockey likes what I'm saying or not. I buy the game..i'm the guy who plays this series as real simulated hockey..I expect EA to respect that and make the game play realistic!.I want goalies to play realistic too with each and every goalies real playing style. I dont wanna see stand up goalie's play butterfly for example in terms of legends.

You should read the tuner notes here: https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/146691/. I know you don't play, but what don't you agree with here? People keep saying tuners ruin the game, but they never are specific about what actually ruined it for them.
  • 19KRAKA74
    68 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2, that’s where I will be investing my extra $$$

EA has had unlimited chances to improve they’re gameplay, but still we see the same glitch/Cheese goals happening every game. You would think the Devs would actually make the Goalies have a brain when seeing the cheeser setting up for the wrist glitch, but oh no same stuff different day as usual.

[Removed profanity - @EA_Roger ]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • RedBull1973JL
    741 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    19KRAKA74 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2, that’s where I will be investing my extra $$$

EA has had unlimited chances to improve they’re gameplay, but still we see the same glitch/Cheese goals happening every game. You would think the Devs would actually make the Goalies have a brain when seeing the cheeser setting up for the wrist glitch, but oh no same stuff different day as usual.

Sums it up pretty well. Unfortunately, the same people with big wallets and perfect internet will throw truckloads of cash at EA every year and us normal peasants will have to suffer until they decide they want to fix the problems.
  • lol it makes 2 streights years i also can't complete the year because there is thing who bother me..

nhl 17- lagging almost every game
    nhl 18- speed completelly random every time i play.. suppose to be same..

i am back to halo 5 now.
  • Swoops--73
    625 posts Member
    edited April 2018

Sums it up pretty well. Unfortunately, the same people with big wallets and perfect internet will throw truckloads of cash at EA every year and us normal peasants will have to suffer until they decide they want to fix the problems.

I’m one of those guys but My issues are not connection related. I honestly believe ea realizes the issues and are trying to fix them. Only time will tell.
  • Swoops--73 wrote: »

EA has had unlimited chances to improve they’re gameplay, but still we see the same glitch/Cheese goals happening every game. You would think the Devs would actually make the Goalies have a frickin brain when seeing the cheeser setting up for the wrist glitch, but oh no same s##t different day as usual.

[/quote

I’m one of those guys but My issues are not connection related. I honestly believe ea realizes the issues and are trying to fix them. Only time will tell.

I sincerely hope that is the case. This game used to be a blast to play, but now there are so many things that feel broken that it just isn't worth the time spent any more. I could get more enjoyment rooting for the Cleveland Browns, and even the Red Wings' games on TV have less **** than this game does this year.
  • 19KRAKA74 wrote: »

EA has had unlimited chances to improve they’re gameplay, but still we see the same glitch/Cheese goals happening every game. You would think the Devs would actually make the Goalies have a frickin brain when seeing the cheeser setting up for the wrist glitch, but oh no same s##t different day as usual.

The Truth right here...I have 5 buddies i typically game with (used to be EASHL but no interest from them this year) and out of the 4 of us who actually bought the game, 1 of them has easily spent $500+ on HUT packs, and the other one has easily spent $200+. And that's just the one's they're comfortable telling us they've bought because of how badly we rip on them when the credit cards come out.

The best part is, I'm the only one of us who still gets enjoyment out of the game. But I typically limit myself to just 6s. HUT and other VS based modes have 0 appeal to me on this generation of consoles.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    1 of them has easily spent $500+ on HUT packs, and the other one has easily spent $200+.
    I'm the only one of us who still gets enjoyment out of the game.

Boy, I wonder why..

As soon as you spend money to obtain a certain outcome (winning) and that outcome doesn't happen - you're going to hate the game.
    Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on
  • JamBam22 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the developers think the skating is fine, and we wont see a better product until that changes.

You will NEVER see a better EA NHL product, and it has nothing to do with the developers. It's all about the stockholders, who only care that these boxed, annual patches yield the same sales volume every year.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    JamBam22 wrote: »

You will NEVER see a better EA NHL product, and it has nothing to do with the developers. It's all about the stockholders, who only care that these boxed, annual patches yield the same sales volume every year.

If sales have been down, like many here have speculated, your statement is totally false. It's false to begin with, but based on that, you couldn't be more wrong.

The developers are very passionate about this game. Just read EANHLDev's posts and you'll see the kind of thought that goes in to the mechanics. It's obvious they love the sport as well as the video game and are trying to balance realism with fun. It misses the mark for many, but you can't make everyone happy.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    If sales have been down, like many here have speculated, your statement is totally false. It's false to begin with, but based on that, you couldn't be more wrong.
    I've been wondering about this. I think most people are using VGChartz as their reference. According to them NHL 18 has sold 0.76 mil. which would be a huge drop in sales. However, it's unclear if this is physical copies only. Do you have some info on this?
    The developers are very passionate about this game. Just read EANHLDev's posts and you'll see the kind of thought that goes in to the mechanics. It's obvious they love the sport as well as the video game and are trying to balance realism with fun. It misses the mark for many, but you can't make everyone happy.
    I think what you're saying is clear to everyone.
    If I read @JoyToTheWorld14 right, he's saying that EA could put more resources into development of the game. That way, we could have more guys like EANHLDev to make this game better.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    639 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    SpillGal wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this. I think most people are using VGChartz as their reference. According to them NHL 18 has sold 0.76 mil. which would be a huge drop in sales. However, it's unclear if this is physical copies only. Do you have some info on this?
    If I read @JoyToTheWorld14 right, he's saying that EA could put more resources into development of the game. That way, we could have more guys like EANHLDev to make this game better.

With the NHL trying to push for an esports like presence in this series, I would think more resources would put into this game. Hopefully that’s true, this series has a lot issues with it right now.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »

No. I don't have any information on sales. I know VGChartz is commonly known to be inaccurate.

I imagine EA would love to have more resources. Typically dev team size reflects the budget which is most often based on overall sales. This game takes a huge amount of money to make each year. People don't realize this. So, it's not always possible to just easily add more developers to the team. Just take a look at the credits and you'll see a huge amount of people involved in the game. Now imagine how they are all being paid, plus licensing costs, marketing, patches, etc. It all adds up.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    You don’t have to look at a single chart anywhere to see that sales are down dramatically from the “golden years”. It’s not rocket science. All you have to do is look at how 90% of your friends list from nhl 09-12 no longer buy or play the game, and scoff when you mention the game to them. This community was a thriving metropolis and is now reduced to a handful of hangers-on hoping they will somehow recapture the old glory.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    Well, you could turn that around, couldn't you? When you sell a game at 60$ every year to a customer base of 1 million that adds up as well. Add HUT revenue and one would think they had resources to fix the coach feedback system that tells goalies to make something happen on power plays. I won't even go into details about the gameplay since their servers are making most of us struggle with lag all the time.
    There is too little of a neverending list of problems that get attended to, each year. This comes directly from how much of the revenue generated they route back into development, and how much is being routed to EA corporate. Judging by the changes I have seen the last year, this studio could really need a bigger slice of that pie.