EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Endless loop while searching for a game...

This happens on VS Online mode very often for me on both the Xbox and PS4. Trying to figure out if anybody else has this issue, and whether or not it's the internet, my modem, my router, or EA causing the issue. I've had weird search issues ever since they brought the game to the One and the PS4. Before this year it was always "Failed to Retrieve" errors and now it's just a search that stops searching.

Anybody have solutions to this?

Replies

• I don't have any solution, but I am experiencing the exact same thing as you. It's not once in a while it's always. First game I get an opponent within seconds, after that it is a struggle. It used to help to back out to the Vs lobby, that's doesn't seem to help anymore. In HUT there's never a problem to find games.
    Everytime you search for a game in HUT I think it says "update complete" in the top right corner. It says the same thing on your first game of Vs, but not the following ones. I've been wondering if this might have anything to do with this.
  • I just back out and head back in and pray somebody else is playing the game too.
  • Well I don't think player counts are the problem here, though that's a problem of its own for another novel. Sometimes it will scan and freeze within seconds. Other times it will search for 20-30 seconds and then find a legit game.

For instance, right now on PS4 it says there are 14,252 players online, 789 in competitive versus games, and 58 in casual versus. I play competitive so you would think that player count would NEVER be an issue, and if that is the issue then why does it loop-freeze and make us back out to the Online Versus menu where we have to reset out lines/strategies instead of just returning us to the search screen?

EA??? What's up bro!!
  • This happens all the time. When I finally do get a match, odds are the face-off loop is next. I have noticed that it is mostly in 1 against 1 in VS where I get the game loops. For some reason when it is 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc. that I am more likely to be able to play without the loop. It is a chore to even get a match, as you can't tell if it is stuck or really searching for an opponent.
  • nickels55 wrote: »
    This happens all the time. When I finally do get a match, odds are the face-off loop is next. I have noticed that it is mostly in 1 against 1 in VS where I get the game loops. For some reason when it is 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc. that I am more likely to be able to play without the loop. It is a chore to even get a match, as you can't tell if it is stuck or really searching for an opponent.

There actually is a way you can tell if it freezes or not. In the upper right corner of the screen the EA logo has something spinning around it while it searches. It will pause for one second and them resume spinning as it loads a match. If it stops spinning for more than a second or two and doesn't load a match then it has looped and you have to go back from scratch again.

So as long as you can see the spinning motion on the EA logo it's still actively searching.
  • Well I don't think player counts are the problem here, though that's a problem of its own for another novel. Sometimes it will scan and freeze within seconds. Other times it will search for 20-30 seconds and then find a legit game.

For instance, right now on PS4 it says there are 14,252 players online, 789 in competitive versus games, and 58 in casual versus. I play competitive so you would think that player count would NEVER be an issue, and if that is the issue then why does it loop-freeze and make us back out to the Online Versus menu where we have to reset out lines/strategies instead of just returning us to the search screen?

EA??? What's up bro!!
    Where is this info at?
  • This is when you select Online Versus from the menu. When it loads it will show your record in large numbers, but in small numbers below that is where the players counts are shown. Other modes have their own way of showing numbers, and I think HUT doesn't even have a count, but this is where it's at for Online Versus.
  • Thanks Red Bull .
  • Swoops--73 wrote: »
    Thanks Red Bull .

You're welcome bud
  • nickels55 wrote: »
    This happens all the time. When I finally do get a match, odds are the face-off loop is next. I have noticed that it is mostly in 1 against 1 in VS where I get the game loops. For some reason when it is 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc. that I am more likely to be able to play without the loop. It is a chore to even get a match, as you can't tell if it is stuck or really searching for an opponent.

There actually is a way you can tell if it freezes or not. In the upper right corner of the screen the EA logo has something spinning around it while it searches. It will pause for one second and them resume spinning as it loads a match. If it stops spinning for more than a second or two and doesn't load a match then it has looped and you have to go back from scratch again.

So as long as you can see the spinning motion on the EA logo it's still actively searching.

This is the greatest help I've ever gotten on here. The EA Logo totally lets you know when the game has frozen looking for a matchup. Thanks for the tip!