EA Forums - Banner

EASHL server issues?

Prev134
Sometime in the past 2-3 weeks, something has drastically changed on the EA servers for this game. I don't know if it's due to this new e-gaming push, or just general server fail, but nearly ALL EASHL club games/club challenges have resulted in extraordinarily higher pings, 5-20% packet loss, constant yellow bars, and just overall unplayable, choppy, rubberbandy conditions.

I have never complained about lag in this game since NHL09, but this is clearly something on EA's end because it happens regardless who is hosting and happens equally to almost all players involved in a club challenge or EASHL 6v6 game.

Can someone at EA please at least acknowledge this issue and let us know if it is being addressed or if online leagues should just expect to continue enduring unplayable conditions? I am tapped out of ideas at this point. Past 3 weeks have been pure misery.

Thanks
Huge

Replies

• Joonetic
    1 posts New member
    You are not alone on this. Ever since the tournament started servers have been awful. The servers have never been good but this is definitely a new low. Ive been getting put on the west and euro servers (when I live on the east coast) and games are almost unplayable. This is the first time in years that im having connection issues and I hope and pray they do something about it soon (and for nhl 19)
  • Agree with you both, it's been unbearable and it's hasn't been the norm. Definitely a huge EA server issue.
  • I know that the ping values reported in game aren't the end-all be-all of diagnosing network problems, but that's the only info we have easily access to. With that out of the way......

Last night was particularly bad. About half of the games we played had inexplicably high ping values and very noticeable timing problems ( one-timers, breakaway moves, etc ) to go along with it.

To give some context about 95% of the time everyone on my club has very consistent ping values and virtually no packet loss. We have players on the east coast of the US and some in Ontario. Some players have slightly higher ping values than others but nobody experiences huge fluctuations. My ping for example is 17 ms virtually every time I've checked. If there is any difference it's usually on my end or because we've been put on the west coast server.

Even when we somehow get connected to the west coast or European servers we can tell which one we're connected to by comparing the increase in ping ( ie if we're on the west coast server the players on the east coast get a bigger spike than those in western Ontario ). And that situation is easily remedied by closing NHL 18 and starting it back up.

Last night though everybody was experiencing the exact same ping increase in the games where the connection was bad. There was a 50 ms increase for everybody. We even played back to back games with a club where the first game was laggy and the second was normal. Not the experience we usually get when we're moved to the wrong server.

It certainly seems like there was something going on with the servers last night. Hopefully it's just a momentary blip.
  • They were soooo bad this week in LG League Games, to the point of basically being unplayable again.
  • They have been absolutely brutal since the tournament started. I normally average 6-10ms and now, these last 2 weeks, I keep getting yellow bar and 60-70 with 2-10 percent packet loss. That's unplayable. I've been playing online eashl since it started and this is the WORST it's ever been simply due to lag that I can't do anything about. I don't even want to play the game anymore.
  • P4LEPWNR wrote: »
    They have been absolutely brutal since the tournament started. I normally average 6-10ms and now, these last 2 weeks, I keep getting yellow bar and 60-70 with 2-10 percent packet loss. That's unplayable. I've been playing online eashl since it started and this is the WORST it's ever been simply due to lag that I can't do anything about. I don't even want to play the game anymore.

hmmm interesting... where are you located?
  • P4LEPWNR wrote: »
    They have been absolutely brutal since the tournament started. I normally average 6-10ms and now, these last 2 weeks, I keep getting yellow bar and 60-70 with 2-10 percent packet loss. That's unplayable. I've been playing online eashl since it started and this is the WORST it's ever been simply due to lag that I can't do anything about. I don't even want to play the game anymore.

Just outside of Philly.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    P4LEPWNR wrote: »

Just outside of Philly.

I'm at Atlanta, was seeing same thing to east server. Or at least I thought it was fixed... but had another couple yellow bar games to the east the other evening.

When we are on the west sever - no issues. I still get ~ 40-43 ms and the game is OK.

When I am on east server once in a while I see it shoot up to 63 ms (stays there - constant) and I am yellow bar'd and the game is flat unplayable. I typically would see 12 to 15 ms on the east.

I did some testing and worked with my ISP and they did have a node out of service which could have been causing a prob with my traffic going north. Well, that was fixed and once in a while I will still see hot yellow bar hockey action with 63 ms to east. Again, west is fine - meaning, the times are the same as they always were.

The odd thing is, I have two guys in Maryland that play... when we are on the east, I would see the 63 ms on my end, but they wouldn't see this increase. So I found this odd and that's what started me down the path of a possible routing issue from ATL to DC metro.

And my time frame aligns with yours as to when this started.

I dunno... I guess I could try to take a packet capture (likely won't be not be much at all due to encryption) and see what I can glean from that unless EA wants to chime in with some info.
  • Same thing for me the last few days.
    Normallly seeing 11-13ms on West and 38-40 on east.
    It’s all over the place now spiking up and down...don’t know what but something not good has happened with the servers. They may need an oil change!
  • Could be related to various things but in general every year this game goes to **** online come spring time... Even though the servers are almost empty at this point
  • Just logged in ...smooth game 12ms....it’s like a roll of the dice out here
  • Just logged in ...smooth game 12ms....it’s like a roll of the dice out here

were you "captain" each game ?
  • Nope no
  • BassMan_PC
    358 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    We have been getting matched up a lot on the east server in both club and drop-in lately. We are all in the west. This is so frustrating as the lag is brutal. EA needs to allow us to force the region/server. The matchmaking system is broken and unreliable. How many years of complaining is it going to take for them to fix this?
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    We have been getting matched up a lot on the east server in both club and drop-in lately. We are all in the west. This is so frustrating as the lag is brutal. EA needs to allow us to force the region/server. The matchmaking system is broken and unreliable. How many years of complaining is it going to take for them to fix this?

right, but this seems different and something that started ~ 2 weeks ago.

• No it's related...I have been having problems for weeks where EA forces me into wrong coast. It can take 30 mins of resetting everything to fix it.

This used to be rate but now it's almost every day
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited April 2018

Just outside of Philly.
    Wonder if youre on comcast/xfinity.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Just outside of Philly.

I am Comcast - in ATL.

and based on what I was seeing, I kinda assumed there was a routing issue going on.... since my teammates in MD were NOT getting these times while I was, in game. their times to the east server were unchanged.

@P4LEPWNR likely is Comcast since he's in Philly.

are you seeing this Bunny? you on Comcast?

one more thing - I don't seem to get the 60ms times when I am not the room host. my buddy and I played a few last night:

when I was the host... I got the 60 ms times.
    when he was the host... I got 12-15 ms (east)

my buddy is in St. Louis. could be coincidence or an intermittent issue so room host / captain could be irrelevant.

and again, I don't get the increases to the west server.

so I still am concerned about a potential routing issue... just haven't had the time to dig into it with work stuff and family stuff and playoff hockey starting and life.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Just outside of Philly.

I am Comcast - in ATL.

and based on what I was seeing, I kinda assumed there was a routing issue going on.... since my teammates in MD were NOT getting these times while I was, in game. their times to the east server were unchanged.

@P4LEPWNR likely is Comcast since he's in Philly.

are you seeing this Bunny? you on Comcast?

one more thing - I don't seem to get the 60ms times when I am not the room host. my buddy and I played a few last night:

when I was the host... I got the 60 ms times.
    when he was the host... I got 12-15 ms (east)

my buddy is in St. Louis. could be coincidence or an intermittent issue so room host / captain could be irrelevant.

and again, I don't get the increases to the west server.

so I still am concerned about a potential routing issue... just haven't had the time to dig into it with work stuff and family stuff and playoff hockey starting and life.

Yeah im comcast also and have been dealing with it.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey,

Sorry I'm jumping in a bit late on this, I've seen similar reports over on Answers HQ and I've sent this up for further review.

As soon as I have more information I'll get back to you guys. Thanks for reporting this and I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Roger.