EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

27 years and finally done with this game

Prev13
Have 40 min to play one game to get my 5 in for the Champion seasons get desynced with a couple mins left in the game. I was losing bad but never quit. Only in EA quitters prosper. That guy with 5 accounts and quits every game in a COMPETITIVE season still gets the same prize that someone trying but loses the games.

For me the game is fun this time of the year since your servers aren’t bogged down with delay lag. You can’t expect anyone to believe when playing online vs it’s 100% player to player connection. Where does this delay lag come from? Why does it happen when playing in Hut Challenges? My best guess would be it’s a problem on your end. When the developer is here trying to calm the outrage of the the gameplay that’s one thing that I asked multiple times and was ignored. If online vs is Player to player connection why do the same problems with delay lag occur when playing hut challenges? I’m fine with messing gameplay when playing any offline game. Make it a challenge. Online just make it fair with an even playing field.

I’ve played every year of your NHL franchise. I used to keep my own stats before the programming could. Knew every player by number before you could actually put names to them. You had a special version in 91 to increase the speed of gameplay. Now its done with sliders and it feels like you play with the sliders on different days. This is probably why so many complain about ice tilt and game balancing, From day to day the game is very inconsistent. Do you do this so it’s not the same old game every day or is it your servers? If I play during your peak times the gameplay feels sluggish but when i play late night with less users it’s twice as fast. How is this when I’m not supposed to be playing on your servers and am matched up against people in then same city? I’ve tested 5 different modems for work over the years and have a very good understanding of what connection issues can do to gameplay. This is something that’s ver consistent since next gen came out. Not sure why I stuck with it so long.

Your Moms Xbox

Replies

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Levis9999 wrote: »
    Have 40 min to play one game to get my 5 in for the Champion seasons get desynced with a couple mins left in the game. I was losing bad but never quit. Only in EA quitters prosper. That guy with 5 accounts and quits every game in a COMPETITIVE season still gets the same prize that someone trying but loses the games.

For me the game is fun this time of the year since your servers aren’t bogged down with delay lag. You can’t expect anyone to believe when playing online vs it’s 100% player to player connection. Where does this delay lag come from? Why does it happen when playing in Hut Challenges? My best guess would be it’s a problem on your end. When the developer is here trying to calm the outrage of the the gameplay that’s one thing that I asked multiple times and was ignored. If online vs is Player to player connection why do the same problems with delay lag occur when playing hut challenges? I’m fine with messing gameplay when playing any offline game. Make it a challenge. Online just make it fair with an even playing field.

I’ve played every year of your NHL franchise. I used to keep my own stats before the programming could. Knew every player by number before you could actually put names to them. You had a special version in 91 to increase the speed of gameplay. Now its done with sliders and it feels like you play with the sliders on different days. This is probably why so many complain about ice tilt and game balancing, From day to day the game is very inconsistent. Do you do this so it’s not the same old game every day or is it your servers? If I play during your peak times the gameplay feels sluggish but when i play late night with less users it’s twice as fast. How is this when I’m not supposed to be playing on your servers and am matched up against people in then same city? I’ve tested 5 different modems for work over the years and have a very good understanding of what connection issues can do to gameplay. This is something that’s ver consistent since next gen came out. Not sure why I stuck with it so long.

Your Moms Xbox

HUT games aren't played on dedicated servers. It's a peer to peer connection. So, if you're always experiencing lag or disconnects, chances are great it's on your end. With peer to peer either you or your opponent are hosting the game. If one of you has a bad connection, both can feel it. Is traffic in your home more busy at night? That could have to do with this. Especially if you're on a wireless connection. You seem to sort of understand this since you mention not being on EA's servers, but the only time you're actually on them is in EASHL games.

• ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Sinbin wrote: »

HUT games aren't played on dedicated servers. It's a peer to peer connection. So, if you're always experiencing lag or disconnects, chances are great it's on your end. With peer to peer either you or your opponent are hosting the game. If one of you has a bad connection, both can feel it. Is traffic in your home more busy at night? That could have to do with this. Especially if you're on a wireless connection. You seem to sort of understand this since you mention not being on EA's servers, but the only time you're actually on them is in EASHL games.

Nope. Too many are complaining about it. And the older NHL games didn't have this problem. Check the beloved Fifa forums where EA is putting way more cash into. They have the same similar problems too.

• I very aware they say it’s peer to peer. If one has a bad connection then why would the ping not show it. 10ms delay lag. 50ms smooth game or vise versa. Why do you get the same delay when playing against the cpu in Challenges? Why do I get the exact same delay playing eashl?

There’s no issues on my end. I work for my isp.
  • ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I very aware they say it’s peer to peer. If one has a bad connection then why would the ping not show it. 10ms delay lag. 50ms smooth game or vise versa. Why do you get the same delay when playing against the cpu in Challenges? Why do I get the exact same delay playing eashl?

And the best part about it...before the game starts while loading it shows the full green bars. But VOILA, input delay/lag is still there.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    ExSnake01 wrote: »

Nope. Too many are complaining about it. And the older NHL games didn't have this problem. Check the beloved Fifa forums where EA is putting way more cash into. They have the same similar problems too.

Yes. The older games had people complaining about connections as well. This isn't new for 18. FIFA has millions of players. It's perfectly understandable that some of them are going to be have connection problems. FIFA has more dedicated server modes which can also be a problem since it's quite possible you'll get a server farther away from you than you would if you were on a peer to peer connection. The bottom line is, you're not on EA's servers for NHL so it's not on their end.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I very aware they say it’s peer to peer. If one has a bad connection then why would the ping not show it. 10ms delay lag. 50ms smooth game or vise versa. Why do you get the same delay when playing against the cpu in Challenges? Why do I get the exact same delay playing eashl?

Those challenges take place online since it's a part of HUT. With peer to peer, the problem could be on your opponent's end. You'll feel that also if they have a bad connection.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

Yes. The older games had people complaining about connections as well. This isn't new for 18. FIFA has millions of players. It's perfectly understandable that some of them are going to be have connection problems. FIFA has more dedicated server modes which can also be a problem since it's quite possible you'll get a server farther away from you than you would if you were on a peer to peer connection. The bottom line is, you're not on EA's servers for NHL so it's not on their end.

No but there's always going to be a medium that the connections are run through. Vs and Hut have been awful the past 2 years for the connection and more so lately than even at the beginning of the year for a large group of people. Something with nhl 18 and the way it's running on connections is causing a delay. I've switched modems, Internet providers, locations and it's all the same. The only thing I haven't changed is being off of the West coast. I'm sure if I drop over into East coast land it'd be kumbaya because those servers clearly (and to argue otherwise is complete ignorance) play better for the people closer to them.

I can literally tell which players are East coast players by how quickly they turn and stop in eashl. I can tell when I'm playing an East coaster in vs.

It shouldn't be like that. That's on nhl, not my connections or my opponents when we are both displaying green bars and playing with a lag.
    The bottom line is, you're not on EA's servers for NHL so it's not on their end.
    This is the huge misconception most people have on this topic. You are indeed on EA's servers when playing HUT. While the main communication goes P2P with your opponent, still both are connected and communicating with EA's servers! There's no way you can free the servers for all responsibility of what goes on in your system just because the main channel of communication is P2P.
    Is traffic in your home more busy at night?
    See, you worry about other traffic going on, in his network, but denies to consider the only other network traffic going on in the same program as he is using? I hope you see the fault of that logic?

Let me give you an example: I work for a company that sells production machines and also offer a production management system as an option. (Just for reference, revenue last year around 1 billion€, it's not a third world, backyard company)
    You can have your production machines stand alone, communicating over an internal network. Optionally you can connect the management system via the local network.
    Sometimes, that management system makes the machines behave unexpectedly. They might slow down, take forever to start, miss signals from the other machine and so on.
    This is very similar to our situation when playing a 1v1 mode. The main channel of communication is the internal network, it's just some reporting information being sent to the server. Still, the fault is absolutely on the server.

Bottom line is that if you close your eyes to the possible influence of the servers, you're turning away from the most likely cause of the problems.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    The bottom line is, you're not on EA's servers for NHL so it's not on their end.
    This is the huge misconception most people have on this topic. You are indeed on EA's servers when playing HUT. While the main communication goes P2P with your opponent, still both are connected and communicating with EA's servers! There's no way you can free the servers for all responsibility of what goes on in your system just because the main channel of communication is P2P.
    See, you worry about other traffic going on, in his network, but denies to consider the only other network traffic going on in the same program as he is using? I hope you see the fault of that logic?

Let me give you an example: I work for a company that sells production machines and also offer a production management system as an option. (Just for reference, revenue last year around 1 billion€, it's not a third world, backyard company)
    You can have your production machines stand alone, communicating over an internal network. Optionally you can connect the management system via the local network.
    Sometimes, that management system makes the machines behave unexpectedly. They might slow down, take forever to start, miss signals from the other machine and so on.
    This is very similar to our situation when playing a 1v1 mode. The main channel of communication is the internal network, it's just some reporting information being sent to the server. Still, the fault is absolutely on the server.

Bottom line is that if you close your eyes to the possible influence of the servers, you're turning away from the most likely cause of the problems.

He mentioned his connection being worse at night. It's not impossible that could also coincide with family members coming home and streaming media. That's why I asked.

From the intro until the game actually ends, you're on a peer to peer connection. You reconnect to EA's servers at that point. If you're constantly lagging/disconnecting during gameplay, odds are excellent it's on your end.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

No but there's always going to be a medium that the connections are run through. Vs and Hut have been awful the past 2 years for the connection and more so lately than even at the beginning of the year for a large group of people. Something with nhl 18 and the way it's running on connections is causing a delay. I've switched modems, Internet providers, locations and it's all the same. The only thing I haven't changed is being off of the West coast. I'm sure if I drop over into East coast land it'd be kumbaya because those servers clearly (and to argue otherwise is complete ignorance) play better for the people closer to them.

I can literally tell which players are East coast players by how quickly they turn and stop in eashl. I can tell when I'm playing an East coaster in vs.

It shouldn't be like that. That's on nhl, not my connections or my opponents when we are both displaying green bars and playing with a lag.

If you are disconnecting before the game starts or after the game ends, that's on EA's end. Otherwise you're not on their servers.

He mentioned his connection being worse at night. It's not impossible that could also coincide with family members coming home and streaming media. That's why I asked.

From the intro until the game actually ends, you're on a peer to peer connection. You reconnect to EA's servers at that point. If you're constantly lagging/disconnecting during gameplay, odds are excellent it's on your end.

There are still some ISP's out there that like to bottle neck internet speeds between 5 pm and 1 am. Maybe this is what his happening to him.

There are still some ISP's out there that like to bottle neck internet speeds between 5 pm and 1 am. Maybe this is what his happening to him.

Network oversubscription.
  • ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited April 2018

Again, trying to paint the problem as the "customers end." I did say from the past the older NHL games had this problem (last 3 or 4 titles I'd say). This year, it seems to be worse then before.

I remember playing Fifa 16 or 17 and had a similar experience as well. Right now, running a new ASUS router, fastest internet my ISP can provide (200mbps), wired connection to the PS4.

It's a problem on EA's end.

• First off I live on the west coast, Common theme for this issue over the years. No problems until next gen consoles came out. I’ve been with and worked for the same isp for 16 years. It’s not on my end, if it was I could fix it. My node has no congestion No one else eating up bandwidth in the house. Always wired have tried wireless. I’ve replace everything you would want done if you hired someone to fix your problem. If Netflix rates your isp as one of the best why would it be on one of NHL EA’s worst. No issues with any other EA game.

You can very easily tell the difference between delay lag and a bad connection. For those that think it’s not an issue guess your lucky, read full . I played a game last night that was spiking because of a bad connection. When the spikes weren’t there it was a legit smooth game.

Why can’t you view you opponents team anymore? That fix seemed to stop the complaints of base cards being just as good as the top cards since you can’t tell if you playing against the free Mcdavid from release or his 99. Don’t need to win them all just want a fair chance, and it’s the same gameplay in online vs.

The game is fun but don’t call anything competitive. Matchmaking finds you the closest player not the closest rank. How is that competitive?

I think you are being way too forgiving on EA's role in this. That you disconnect from EA's servers during a 1v1 game was new information for me. Not that I think you are lying, but do have a link to the source of this information? I am convinced there's more to it than what you're saying. I think we have misunderstood how this actually works.
    I have experienced 40 games in a row with a perfect connection, which ended in being disconnected from EA's servers (aka they did something server-side). Both before and after that it's Fatman lag all over the place. That's why I am convinced the root source is to be found on EA's side.
    Also, there's a lot of good input here on high traffic times, that some ISP's bottleneck everyone during these times and so on. But this is the world EA is putting their game into, the game needs to be playable under these conditions.
    And I am pretty sure it is. If I understood this right, the game needs something under 1 Mbps to run properly. There's no need to forbid your kids to play and tell your neighboor to hold off of Netflix until you're done gaming.
    If you really want to figure out why so many people report problems with lag, it's time to start digging into what other causes than bandwidth might affect this.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

Again, trying to paint the problem as the "customers end." I did say from the past the older NHL games had this problem (last 3 or 4 titles I'd say). This year, it seems to be worse then before.

I remember playing Fifa 16 or 17 and had a similar experience as well. Right now, running a new ASUS router, fastest internet my ISP can provide (200mbps), wired connection to the PS4.

Where is it on their end if you're not on their servers? It's a common misconception that faster speed equals a lag free experience. It doesn't matter how fast the car is if the road is full of potholes. It's more about the stability of your connection than the speed. You don't need the fastest internet possible to have a smooth connection. If you're in a game, that is not EASHL, you're not on EA's servers. You are for matchmaking and then the host is you or your opponent. When the game ends, the connection goes back to EA to send end game results and browse the menus.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

I think you are being way too forgiving on EA's role in this. That you disconnect from EA's servers during a 1v1 game was new information for me. Not that I think you are lying, but do have a link to the source of this information? I am convinced there's more to it than what you're saying. I think we have misunderstood how this actually works.
    I have experienced 40 games in a row with a perfect connection, which ended in being disconnected from EA's servers (aka they did something server-side). Both before and after that it's Fatman lag all over the place. That's why I am convinced the root source is to be found on EA's side.
    Also, there's a lot of good input here on high traffic times, that some ISP's bottleneck everyone during these times and so on. But this is the world EA is putting their game into, the game needs to be playable under these conditions.
    And I am pretty sure it is. If I understood this right, the game needs something under 1 Mbps to run properly. There's no need to forbid your kids to play and tell your neighboor to hold off of Netflix until you're done gaming.
    If you really want to figure out why so many people report problems with lag, it's time to start digging into what other causes than bandwidth might affect this.

I don't know for sure, but I believe you need something like 10 MBPS for the game to run smoothly. As far as the message about disconnecting from EA's servers goes, you technically did. You lost connection to the opponent and which means your connection is severed so you can't send data to EA's servers until your connection is back online. Then the game registers as a loss. Unless it came from your opponent's end. Then you get the message you lost connection to your opponent. I don't like the verbiage. It's very confusing, but in the end it's all you really need to know. You don't need a long disconnect message explaining basic networking.

As far as a source for all 1v1 games being P2P goes, it's been talked about many times here. I'm not going to dig it up. P2P is very common. It's not just EA using it. It costs a lot less than dedicated servers and gives a better connection for many as it means many people would frequently get someone more close to them than a dedicated server.

Where is it on their end if you're not on their servers? It's a common misconception that faster speed equals a lag free experience. It doesn't matter how fast the car is if the road is full of potholes. It's more about the stability of your connection than the speed. You don't need the fastest internet possible to have a smooth connection. If you're in a game, that is not EASHL, you're not on EA's servers. You are for matchmaking and then the host is you or your opponent. When the game ends, the connection goes back to EA to send end game results and browse the menus.

And where exactly did I say it's their servers? I brought up my network because it's constantly used to defend the lag/delay input of the game. If it's not EA servers that you claim, then it's in the coding of the game. Something the customer has no control over.

There are plenty of P2P titles out there which does not have this issue.

• Bmh245
    897 posts Member
    If you are disconnecting before the game starts or after the game ends, that's on EA's end. Otherwise you're not on their servers.

Then why do I get disconnected from my opponent if I get disconnected from EA's servers? If I'm not connected to EA's servers during the game, why can't I keep playing the P2P game if EA's servers go down or kick me off?

• I ve had the same issues as the OP for years. This is not just a west coast problem, I live on the east coast. This is 100% on EA, whether it's the network or the coding.