EA Forums - Banner

i hope the devs are watching the playoffs

Prev1345678
these guys don't turn like mack trucks even at full speed. look how fast they can start and stop! it's amazing! get rid of this skating engine already.

Replies

• Yup, I was thinking about that earlier reading some other threads. Blows my mind how some people on this forum can watch a game of the playoffs, boot this game up, and say this is a great representation of the sport. Maybe I'm the crazy one.
  • NLucaj31
    153 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I sure hope so because I want to point something out. If you watch any game on NBC, during gameplay on the scorebar, it says FIRST ROUND PIT LEADS SERIES 2-1 (I’m just using that series as an example) In NHL 18 anytime you make the playoffs in season/franchise mode, all of that stuff is not shown at all during gameplay. Playoff mode does not display this information as well.

Can’t wait until NHL 19!
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Yup, I was thinking about that earlier reading some other threads. Blows my mind how some people on this forum can watch a game of the playoffs, boot this game up, and say this is a great representation of the sport. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

you're not alone. there's only 2 people that bang the TPS drum here, everyone else clearly hates it. i feel like it could all be tuned to be faster and add agility with the skate blade radius, but what do i know.
  • these guys don't turn like mack trucks even at full speed. look how fast they can start and stop! it's amazing! get rid of this skating engine already.

But dont you find it realistic and satisfying to play a NHL game trying to imitate NHL Superstars just to skate worse than you do in real life?

• flyextacy wrote: »
    Yup, I was thinking about that earlier reading some other threads. Blows my mind how some people on this forum can watch a game of the playoffs, boot this game up, and say this is a great representation of the sport. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

Personally I find it looks the same....as the timbit hockey during intermission.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Yep. That's exactly how I feel when I play this. It's like I'm steering a bull or a semi truck when skating around. The puck awareness, agility, speed is all wrong. Everything is just too slow.

'I'm still playing it to get my hockey fix since there's nothing else to play. All that money they are getting from HUT and this is what we get.....
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    these guys don't turn like mack trucks even at full speed. look how fast they can start and stop! it's amazing! get rid of this skating engine already.

But dont you find it realistic and satisfying to play a NHL game trying to imitate NHL Superstars just to skate worse than you do in real life?

Yeah, usually people turn on video games so they can do stuff they CAN’T do in real life (bicycle kicks in FIFA/PES, dunks in 2k, etc) not the other way around lol.

That’s why I’m just so confused with the direction of this series. There’s actually a pretty good collection of core gameplay mechanics if you can see past the skating that ruins everything, and i iust don’t understand why they won’t ditch TPS.

It’s been tried, it’s been updated, it’s been even more broken due to SPP’s, and it’s show literally 0 progress (maybe even regression) since NHL 13. This game does not have the necessary skating abilities/mechanics implemented to try and force “realistic” skating to be in the game.

It’s a video game for the love of Don Cherry, just let people have fun again. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is the only sports video game on the market where you’re forced into being more concerned about the movement of your character (not because it takes skill, watch an ESHL game, nobody can use this engine well in a high-level game) than the actual sport/objective of the sport. When I play FIFA, I’m focused on passing, shooting, protecting the ball, skill moves, position, reading plays, etc and I’m never literally only focused on my feet and making sure my character faces the ball...

Press “LT” in FIFA to face the ball (What a concept eh? Lol) and boom, your guy faces the ball. FIFA also has momentum for all of the people who think controlling your momentum is an art (it’s not, it’s really easy) yet they still have simple, reaponsive controls that lead to a fun, yet very high skill-ceiling conpetitive atmosphere.

Why can’t we have that here? Why must skating look like a seven year old when my guy in FIFA can look like Ronaldo at times? Because my guy doing awesome stuff while having a skill gap is what makes that game fun. Scoring a goal by sprinting, losing the puck 3 times, then dragging it through 3 defenders due to a warping SPP animation, then tucking it literally through the goalie’s pad to score a goal ( which seems to be the norm in high-level 6s games due to the defense being so good) is terribly not fun.

Make NHL somewhat fun again, please.
  • kezz123 wrote: »

Yeah, usually people turn on video games so they can do stuff they CAN’T do in real life (bicycle kicks in FIFA/PES, dunks in 2k, etc) not the other way around lol.

That’s why I’m just so confused with the direction of this series. There’s actually a pretty good collection of core gameplay mechanics if you can see past the skating that ruins everything, and i iust don’t understand why they won’t ditch TPS.

It’s been tried, it’s been updated, it’s been even more broken due to SPP’s, and it’s show literally 0 progress (maybe even regression) since NHL 13. This game does not have the necessary skating abilities/mechanics implemented to try and force “realistic” skating to be in the game.

It’s a video game for the love of Don Cherry, just let people have fun again. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is the only sports video game on the market where you’re forced into being more concerned about the movement of your character (not because it takes skill, watch an ESHL game, nobody can use this engine well in a high-level game) than the actual sport/objective of the sport. When I play FIFA, I’m focused on passing, shooting, protecting the ball, skill moves, position, reading plays, etc and I’m never literally only focused on my feet and making sure my character faces the ball...

Press “LT” in FIFA to face the ball (What a concept eh? Lol) and boom, your guy faces the ball. FIFA also has momentum for all of the people who think controlling your momentum is an art (it’s not, it’s really easy) yet they still have simple, reaponsive controls that lead to a fun, yet very high skill-ceiling conpetitive atmosphere.

Why can’t we have that here? Why must skating look like a seven year old when my guy in FIFA can look like Ronaldo at times? Because my guy doing awesome stuff while having a skill gap is what makes that game fun. Scoring a goal by sprinting, losing the puck 3 times, then dragging it through 3 defenders due to a warping SPP animation, then tucking it literally through the goalie’s pad to score a goal ( which seems to be the norm in high-level 6s games due to the defense being so good) is terribly not fun.

Well, when it comes to momentum and turning, you have to consider that hockey players move tremendously faster than soccer players. That being said though, NHL could still do a better job of this.

For the rest of your post, fully agreed.
  • @EA Pay attention.
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    They're definitely not watching haha. But yeah, 19 better have monstrous AI adjustments. I've saved so, so many video clips of just inexcusable, unacceptable behavior but I'm just so numb with EA that I doubt posting them will do anything. Defensemen literally moving out of the way of puck-carriers and turning their backs, pucks ghosting through goalie pads at key times in games, but one thing that's just unbelievable to me?

The holding RS up after receiving puck STILL doesn't shoot right away; guy just glides until you "reset" the RS and reshoot. I'm not kidding when I say it costs me multiple points per game. Every single game I experience it. I have plenty of screenshots of replay too, showing that my stick went into shooting position. That particular bug is just preposterous, and shame on them for being so lazy as to not fix it right away in September.

Please 2k or Sony Interactive, make NHL hockey.
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    kezz123 wrote: »

Yup, This game went from being a hockey game to being a skating game. Almost literally.
    used to not care about skating, just about trying to beat the other team's strategy....like in real hockey....
    Score in many different ways and defend efficiently in all ways....Just like real hockey.
    Now,....a fight vs controls all game to skate mostly. Same goals scored over and over and over again...little variety...little...hockey.

Not mentioning the fact that almost everyone I know goes through Xbox controllers like crazy playing this game because the controls are so off that you tend to instinctively press ultra hard on the control sticks to hopefully make your character move better and breaking those sticks often. never had an issue before or after TPS with the control sticks breaking...yet went through a controller about every 6 months playing NHL.

• B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    edited April 2018

Yup, This game went from being a hockey game to being a skating game. Almost literally.
    used to not care about skating, just about trying to beat the other team's strategy....like in real hockey....
    Score in many different ways and defend efficiently in all ways....Just like real hockey.
    Now,....a fight vs controls all game to skate mostly. Same goals scored over and over and over again...little variety...little...hockey.

Not mentioning the fact that almost everyone I know goes through Xbox controllers like crazy playing this game because the controls are so off that you tend to instinctively press ultra hard on the control sticks to hopefully make your character move better and breaking those sticks often. never had an issue before or after TPS with the control sticks breaking...yet went through a controller about every 6 months playing NHL.

How many hours a week are you putting in on chel.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • I go through a controller every 6 months as well. Ps4 controllers have an issue with R3 which is exhaserbated with NHL as you lose the ability to use it and gain a stutter at 12 oclock. I used to play 4 hours most nights since I dislike the puck pickups and the lucky bounces in 18 I don't play it as much.

Honestly me and my group used to play all night. We dislike this game and are hoping for major improvement from 19 or we will be playing less than we do now. Real possibility I don't even buy it.
  • I can not tell you how many xbox ELITE controllers ove gone through. All left joystick problems.

At least 5 . 150 (5) ouch. And that doesn't even include the ones where I used the warranty and got a new one for free.

I stupidly think, this controller wont mess up this time , boy am I an idiot.
  • I can not tell you how many xbox ELITE controllers ove gone through. All left joystick problems.

At least 5 . 150 (5) ouch. And that doesn't even include the ones where I used the warranty and got a new one for free.

I stupidly think, this controller wont mess up this time , boy am I an ****.

yeah chel has always been rough on the sticks, but microsoft going cheap on internals is not on them. i've broken that same left stick playing GTA. been through 3 controllers myself, i gave up returning them constantly for replacements.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    The old original xbox controller were built like tanks. They do not make them like that anymore.

I can't fault EA for Sony/Microsoft going cheapo on the controllers.
  • Maybe that’s why the price of a PS4 controller is now $75 CDN at Walmart. I bought one just a couple months ago and it was $50.

• The players in EA NHL games do skate and turn fast.

Problem is, the CPU players can do it and you can't. They can all skate fast, turn on a dime and strafe better than any human controlled player.

All the devs have to do is allow gamers the same kind of physics/controls the CPU gets.
  • HockeyDude wrote: »
    The players in EA NHL games do skate and turn fast.

Problem is, the CPU players can do it and you can't. They can all skate fast, turn on a dime and strafe better than any human controlled player.

All the devs have to do is allow gamers the same kind of physics/controls the CPU gets.

I've gotten to the same conclusion. This is why players will skate over to the attacker and then switch off. AI actually can make a bodycheck happen, while the human player often can not.
    When playing against someone that glides and protects just out of your reach the whole game, I must admit that there is a certain level of satisfaction involved in surprising them with a switch off. Suddenly they get checked, just like they would in hockey.
    I agree let the AI have what the players currently have, and let us players get AI's abilities. Skill-zone would be gone, there wouldn't be switch-offs, people would actually have to play themselves.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    HockeyDude wrote: »
    The players in EA NHL games do skate and turn fast.

I've gotten to the same conclusion. This is why players will skate over to the attacker and then switch off. AI actually can make a bodycheck happen, while the human player often can not.
    When playing against someone that glides and protects just out of your reach the whole game, I must admit that there is a certain level of satisfaction involved in surprising them with a switch off. Suddenly they get checked, just like they would in hockey.
    I agree let the AI have what the players currently have, and let us players get AI's abilities. Skill-zone would be gone, there wouldn't be switch-offs, people would actually have to play themselves.

I haven't played EASHL since NHL 11 I think. Though I did play it through NHL 09-11.

When our team didn't field a full team, we preferred allowing the cpu teammates to take 1-2 forward spots. None of us liked playing goalie (not worth the hassle), so we'd have maybe 1 guy at forward and 2 people on defence.

Not a bad idea.

The cpu is awful on defence, but the forwards had that weird ability to shoot laser shots on net from weird angles. No human gamer could get off shots like that.

So pass it to a cpu forward and pray the game rolls lucky 7 where it will snaps a crazy shot into the net. CPU doesn't have to have great positioning, doesn't even have to be facing the net, and doesn't even need time to take the shot. It's like it can automatically just shoot off cannon shots whenever it wants...... all it needs is the floaty programming to be in your favour at that moment and suddenly the CPU would pick a corner like Mario Lemieux from a sharp angle.